Thai Govt Delays Computer Tablet Deal-Signing As Deadline Guarantee Missed

webfact

TABLETS FROM CHINA

Govt delays deal-signing as deadline guarantee missed

SIRIVISH TOOMGUM

THE NATION

30179481-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Information and Communications Technology Ministry has delayed the signing of a contract to purchase Chinese tablet computers for Prathom 1 students until Tuesday after Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development failed to produce a guarantee from the Bank of China by yesterday.

ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said both sides needed to have all the required documents ready before the deal can be signed, and the Thai side was ready.

The ministry informed the Chinese supplier in the afternoon that the Office of the Attorney-General had just finished its review of the contract and asked the company to prepare the documents to complete the deal.

However, the Chinese manufacturer could not get a standby guarantee for 5 per cent of the project value by the deadline, he said.

The Bt1.9-billion project has proceeded in strict compliance with all laws and regulations, he said.

The One Tablet Per Child policy was a hallmark of the Pheu Thai Party's winning election campaign.

The ruling party has been determined to push the project through despite words of caution from many sides regarding not only the cost of the programme but the possibility that the devices will be used inappropriately.

The project will distribute 900,000 tablets from the Chinese supplier to Prathom 1 students.

All of the tablets should be delivered by July, with the first batch of about 2,000 to reach teachers early next month, he said.

He declined to give more details of the devices, pending the sealing of the deal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-06

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TABLETS FROM CHINA

Govt delays deal-signing as deadline guarantee missed

SIRIVISH TOOMGUM

THE NATION

30179481-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Information and Communications Technology Ministry has delayed the signing of a contract to purchase Chinese tablet computers for Prathom 1 students until Tuesday after Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development failed to produce a guarantee from the Bank of China by yesterday.

ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said both sides needed to have all the required documents ready before the deal can be signed, and the Thai side was ready.

The ministry informed the Chinese supplier in the afternoon that the Office of the Attorney-General had just finished its review of the contract and asked the company to prepare the documents to complete the deal.

However, the Chinese manufacturer could not get a standby guarantee for 5 per cent of the project value by the deadline, he said.

The Bt1.9-billion project has proceeded in strict compliance with all laws and regulations, he said.

The One Tablet Per Child policy was a hallmark of the Pheu Thai Party's winning election campaign.

The ruling party has been determined to push the project through despite words of caution from many sides regarding not only the cost of the programme but the possibility that the devices will be used inappropriately.

The project will distribute 900,000 tablets from the Chinese supplier to Prathom 1 students.

All of the tablets should be delivered by July, with the first batch of about 2,000 to reach teachers early next month, he said.

He declined to give more details of the devices, pending the sealing of the deal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-06

The finger pointing has already begun...a business partnership with Thailand is never a good idea.

If they are clever they will pull out of the deal - who wants to go into business with someone that with a very minimal time-frame makes demands and then publicly blames you for delays because of it?

Unless the tablets are overpriced junk-clones and the whole sale is a scam, ofcourse...

Not signing contract may make it difficult for govt to meet tablet deadline

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Since the signing of the tabletPC purchase contract was postponed yesterday, it might become quite difficult for the government to deliver the devices to firstgrade students when schools reopen in mid May.

The government and the Chinese company postponed the signing of the deal yesterday to next Tuesday, Information and Communications Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap said, adding that the delivery schedule was also likely to be delayed. However, he said the government was doing its best to meet the May deadline.

"The Office of the Attorney General has already returned the draft to the ICT Ministry, which has prepared all the documents. We are waiting for Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development to tell us when it is ready to sign the contract," he added.

In response to reports that the company had not obtained a bank guarantee, he said the ministry would have to look into the issue.

Earlier this week, Anudith said his ministry would send a draft of the contract to the Attorney General for review, and expected it to be signed by yesterday.

The first batch of 2,000 tablets is due to be delivered for inspection 15 days after the contract is signed. Anudith said the devices will be closely checked and if any flaws are discovered, the entire manufacturing process will have to be revamped from the start.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej said about one million tablets, requiring a budget of Bt2.4 billion, would be bought for Prathom 1 students in both government and private schools.

On Tuesday, ministry officials showed Prathom 1 students how they could use their tablets.

Chinnapat Bhumirat, secretarygeneral of the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec), said 336 lessons for English and Thai languages, maths, social studies and science would be installed in each tablet in addition to PDF files. Obec will also provide a dictionary as well as drawing and painting applications, and is wondering if it should include multiplication tables, poetry and other applications.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-06

Remember my post from a monthe ago

Posted 2012-03-18 10:30:05

Watch my words, they will delay and delay this project untill they find the perfect excuse to cancel the whole project.

My bet is on a quality issue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541595-cabinet-to-mull-tablet-plan-tuesday/page__view__findpost__p__5143495

We're getting closer and closer to that stage of the fake election promises program.

• Like 2

20 years ago my old 286 desktop had a simple little program that randomly picked slots on a multiplication table for my daughter to fill in, then logged number of mistakes and time taken. I made her try it 3 times daily until she succeeded 3 times without an error in under 2 minutes. Then she got a nice reward and a skill for life.

Put that on a tablet? Why, it's got a calculator.

• Like 1

I wonder which of the 2 parties dosen't have their Documents Ready!!!!!! Does anyone want to wager which party that is?????????????????????????????????????????coffee1.gif

Thailand's Government should really try hard to not always make excuses, coz I am sure the other party has children of their own at home they

have to deal with. violin.gif

They are going to deliver to all students even though they don't have electricity in their school.

Shock they can't even deliver to all the first graders.much less all the students. But it is OK they already got thge votes they needed to befirst in line for he corruption money.

Why

Because a bank is not sure of the deal.

Next excuse will be Thaksin is not sure he owns enough of the supplying company.

The Information and Communications Technology Ministry has delayed the signing of a contract to purchase Chinese tablet computers for Prathom 1 students until Tuesday after Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development failed to produce a guarantee from the Bank of China by yesterday.

I though it was the buyer that had to produce a "Bank-garanti, for the seller to be sure he get paid.

It is not a big secret, that some of the heavyweights within the government would like to be placed with another Chinese company: HUAWEI, for the usual obvious reasons=big kickbacks. So don't be surprised, when after a number of excuses the government decides to change surplier, to, yes you guessed it, HUAWEI.

• Like 1

Remember my post from a monthe ago

Posted 2012-03-18 10:30:05

Watch my words, they will delay and delay this project untill they find the perfect excuse to cancel the whole project.

My bet is on a quality issue.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5143495

We're getting closer and closer to that stage of the fake election promises program.

Is China where they make the fake election tablets? DOdn't work for me

I wonder which of the 2 parties dosen't have their Documents Ready!!!!!! Does anyone want to wager which party that is?????????????????????????????????????????coffee1.gif

Thailand's Government should really try hard to not always make excuses, coz I am sure the other party has children of their own at home they

have to deal with. violin.gif

If betting wasn't illegal I'd take you on

It is not a big secret, that some of the heavyweights within the government would like to be placed with another Chinese company: HUAWEI, for the usual obvious reasons=big kickbacks. So don't be surprised, when after a number of excuses the government decides to change surplier, to, yes you guessed it, HUAWEI.

So let me guess were Huawei the second highest bidder?

If they are clever they will pull out of the deal - who wants to go into business with someone that with a very minimal time-frame makes demands and then publicly blames you for delays because of it?

Unless the tablets are overpriced junk-clones and the whole sale is a scam, ofcourse...

No reason to be negetive. Let's hope for the best.
  • Like 1

The accusation of payoffs is bullsh*t. Huawei has an excellent reputation and we have indirectly dealt with them. No payoffs, no bribes, just professionalism.

many of the comments in this thrad are incredibly ignorant. The government's decision not to sign is based upon responsible management. The supplier ccould not provide the performance guarantee as required under the contract. The comments in this thread slamming the government for not signing also show that commentators haven't the slightest clue as to how large contracts are managed. It is SOP procedure for a client in a large procurement to request and obtain performance bonds. The bond ensures that a third party will provide the funding to complete or perform the signed contract. The bond can be replaced by a direct financial guarantee and that is what the government did. The government has behaved in a responsible and prudent manner in this regard.

Any company or government that would sign a contract when a supplier was unable to comply with the performance bonding or financial guarantee would have alot of explaining to do. Why then are some people making idiotic comments as to the government screwing up for not signing? The governmsnt did the right thing.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

The comments in this thread slamming the government for not signing also show that commentators haven't the slightest clue as to how large contracts are managed.

On the opposite, I know and think many others know how large contracts are managed. And since I do I would never, as the government did, promise hard deadlines to people before the process has been initiated or the project is well on the way.

• Like 1

I though it was the buyer that had to produce a "Bank-garanti, for the seller to be sure he get paid.

Only in the normal world.

Absolutely not. It is a performance guarantee. The client would call upon the financial guarantee in the event the supplier failed to meet the supply contract.

Bonding is a financial undertaking and can be replaced by a more specific financial instrument. It is also used as a verification as to the "quality" of a project. if a third party guarantor does not provide the bond or financial guarantee, it means that the third party has some concerns. This is what you people should focus on. What are the concerns? It usually means that the supplier may not have the financial strength to support the undertaking or it may not have demonstrated an ability to meet its obligations in the contract. The requirement is an essential risk management tool.

if anyone doubts me on this, then please go and ask someone who has signed a large contract for the provision of goods and services. The Bangkok airport, subway and city link projects all had similar performance requirements for bonding or financial guarantees.

Edited by geriatrickid

The comments in this thread slamming the government for not signing also show that commentators haven't the slightest clue as to how large contracts are managed.

On the opposite, I know and think many others know how large contracts are managed. And since I do I would never, as the government did, promise hard deadlines to people before the process has been initiated or the project is well on the way.

In that case you would know that most large (probably 100%) contracts would be subject to a project plan. You don't have a project plan if you don't have project completion date. When it all goes horribly wrong, that is when the Project Manager steps in and performs their miracles to get the plan back on time. And sponsors of the project be they sales, CEO,s or Politicians will promise hard deadlines to anyone they feel needs to hear - that is the reality.

Do you know what a milestone is? If you know project planning, then you are aware that every large project has specific dates along the process route. Whether it is a basic CPM or a PERT process to facilitate decision making, specific dates are specified. The manufacture of a tablet is a simple task. I probably takes 1 hour from the stat of assembly until the tablet is in the box ready for shipment. The supply contract details have been public for months and the delivery date was specified in the supply contract. All of the bidding suppliers said, yes they could meet the date. The delay here is due to a risk management procedure intended to protect the client, Thailand.

I have very specific completion dates for tasks in my work and am subject to compliance requirements. Built into my workflows are emergency time reserves to account for delays. I expect that the tablet project has similar. This is all standard procurement activity.

Edited by geriatrickid

If everyone here (suppliers & government) all are so very proffesional, how come that the first round of bidding was cancelled due to the priced was FOB and not CIF, which the the norm doing business with Thailand, which the supplier should be aware of. And the very clever government only realized after announcing the winner, that the price was FOB. New round of bidding, only a couple of days though and with the same winner. Huawei missed the deadline on the second bidding, with a price almost 50% down from the first round. So much for proffesionalism and integrety.

• Like 1

So, of course The Nation doesn't like the tablet program (probably just because it was proposed by the PTP, imagine if it had been Abhisit's idea...),

but none the less, it is amazing how they can take (in post #4) the government's act of due diligence and turn it into "the government will miss its tablet deadline"...