Fillmore East

SDH

:o I've been going to the Fillmore East the last little while and in my humble opinion it's great....If you're a novice to red meat and you need help order the Argentinean Angus steak done medium rare and suck back some French red that will do the trick. Once again the only part that's no good is the price....fill up the wallet before going.

The Fillmore east has the best steaks that I have ever eaten in Asia, however, I'm sure that there are some great places in Bangkok, but I don't want to eat there enough to bring long trousers with me, so I don't bother.

Yes expensive, but you get what you pay for. :o

:o I've been going to the Fillmore East the last little while and in my humble opinion it's great....If you're a novice to red meat and you need help order the Argentinean Angus steak done medium rare and suck back some French red that will do the trick. Once again the only part that's no good is the price....fill up the wallet before going.

Those Argentinean steaks have always had a great reputation.When you say expensive, how expensive?

Those Argentinean steaks have always had a great reputation.When you say expensive, how expensive?

If I remeber right they're about 850 B a throw....Which I think aint that bad considering where they come from! it's the wine that always gets me, I have this theory that the more it costs the better it is and that's how I make my choice. :D

Was there something offensive in my editorial comment?  Whay has it dissapeared??

Okay... Your editorial comment, in fact the post in whole, consisted of:

---

:o

---

So from this it wasn't even clear if you didn't like Fillmore, didn't like the review, or found the whole concept of imported Argentinian meat repulsive. I guess overall it just didn't add very much, and it just wasn't a very friendly response to a post.

I, and presumably others as well, would still be very interested to read if you have a differing opinion on Fillmore, imported Argentinian beef in general, or the original post/review. (And if so, what that opinion actually is. :D )

Again, nothing wrong with posting "I think the Fillmore sucks mud, and if a land-slide were to shove the whole lot straight into the river then I bet even the fishes would choke on their 850 baht slabs of meat". :D Then you're being clear. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Was there something offensive in my editorial comment?  Whay has it dissapeared??

Okay... Your editorial comment, in fact the post in whole, consisted of:

---

:o

---

So from this it wasn't even clear if you didn't like Fillmore, didn't like the review, or found the whole concept of imported Argentinian meat repulsive. I guess overall it just didn't add very much, and it just wasn't a very friendly response to a post.

I, and presumably others as well, would still be very interested to read if you have a differing opinion on Fillmore, imported Argentinian beef in general, or the original post/review. (And if so, what that opinion actually is. :D )

Again, nothing wrong with posting "I think the Fillmore sucks mud, and if a land-slide were to shove the whole lot straight into the river then I bet even the fishes would choke on their 850 baht slabs of meat". :D Then you're being clear. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Actually, I believe my comment was "Uggh" :D

Maybe the "Uggh" was filtered out for some reason. Anyway, I think uggh pretty much sums up Filmore East. Poor service, poor food.

If I remeber right they're about 850 B a throw....Which I think aint that bad considering where they come from! it's the wine that always gets me, I have this theory that the more it costs the better it is and that's how I make my choice. :D

Try the Australian tenderloin at Moxie, the restaurant in the new D2 hotel here in Chiang Mai. Around 750B, one of the best I've eaten in Thailand and I do eat steak in Bangkok frequently. Actually I believe it's the first time in 28 years I've ordered a steak 'medium rare' in Thailand and had it arrive medium rare, rather than either 'medium' or 'rare'.

Not to slight the Fillmore East, haven't tried the steak there. Did try a burger there once, not bad but can't compete with the Chiangmai Saloon in that department.

Have to agree about the Fillmore service, wasn't too impressed but I should probably give it another chance.

Service at Moxie is excellent, and the prices very reasonable considering the quality of the food. Wines are pricey though, BYO if you imbibe.

Some may not like the vibe at D2; not fancy but very minimalist/moderne. I find it a refreshing change from old wagon wheels ...

:D I've been going to the Fillmore East the last little while and in my humble opinion it's great....If you're a novice to red meat and you need help order the Argentinean Angus steak done medium rare and suck back some French red that will do the trick. Once again the only part that's no good is the price....fill up the wallet before going.

Try the Australian tenderloin at Moxie, the restaurant in the new D2 hotel here in Chiang Mai. Around 750B, one of the best I've eaten in Thailand and I do eat steak in Bangkok frequently. Actually I believe it's the first time in 28 years I've ordered a steak 'medium rare' in Thailand and had it arrive medium rare, rather than either 'medium' or 'rare'.

Not to slight the Fillmore East, haven't tried the steak there. Did try a burger there once, not bad but can't compete with the Chiangmai Saloon in that department.

Have to agree about the Fillmore service, wasn't too impressed but I should probably give it another chance.

Service at Moxie is excellent, and the prices very reasonable considering the quality of the food. Wines are pricey though, BYO if you imbibe.

Some may not like the vibe at D2; not fancy but very minimalist/moderne. I find it a refreshing change from old wagon wheels ...

Okay so the D2 is where exactley? It sounds great and I'll be going....

Now what's the deal with the Chiang mai Saloon? I ride by it all the time and have never stopped (not sure why) but I always here good things so I can imagine it'll be a stopping point in the very near future. :o

Does this Fillmore establishment serve a good laap diip per chance?

:o I don't know what laap diip is so I couldn't tell you, thaty've been getting some fairly negative posts but I'd recommend that you give it a try and as I've said IMHO it's good.

Uh, laap dip is THE signature meat dish of the Khon Muang of Chiang Mai consisting of minced raw pork.

Does this Fillmore establishment serve a good laap diip per chance?

:D I don't know what laap diip is so I couldn't tell you, thaty've been getting some fairly negative posts but I'd recommend that you give it a try and as I've said IMHO it's good.

Uh, laap dip is THE signature meat dish of the Khon Muang of Chiang Mai consisting of minced raw pork.

:o Well once again something I haven't tried before.....So can you tell me where your favorite laap diip dining establishment is?

> Actually, I believe my comment was "Uggh" :o

I stand corrected. :D

> So can you tell me where your favorite laap diip dining establishment is?

Yes, would like to know too. It's one of the very, VERY few things here that I don't really eat. Oh, that, and cow-placenta. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

D2 occupies the old Chiang Inn, right behind Chiang Inn Plaza shopping centre (Pizza Hut, Swensen's etc) between Chang Khlan Rd and Soi 1 Tha Phae. It's still in 'soft opening' mode as a hotel - only around 20 rooms open last I asked - but the restaurant and bar are fully open. The lobby, bar and restaurant all meld together, pretty interesting design.

I've eaten at Chiang Mai Saloon several times, have enjoyed everthing I've ordered there. They have 7 different kinds of burgers on the menu, all of them chargrilled. Homemade potato chips are excellent. Friendly, good service.

This month's City Life reviewed burgers all over town, and CM Saloon came out number 1, for what it's worth.

Laap Dip. I seem to remember it being banned for sale in restaurants some time back due to the number of people going down with severe liver flukes and other nasty life-threatening illnesses. I seem to remember a particular funeral party causing the deaths of some 20 or so others.

However, if you really want to eat some, take a drive around the villages until you come across a funeral. You'll find a lot of them nowadays. Go in and pay your respects and you can be sure to be offered food, highly likely to include laab dip.

I was put off the dish, Laab Leut (Laab Dip made with fresh pig's blood,) when I watched a drunken ex-father-in-law consume copious quantities with a leaky mouth. The blood was flowing out of his mouth, over chin and soaking the front of a once-white shirt. He looked like severe road kill come back to life.

D2 occupies the old Chiang Inn, right behind Chiang Inn Plaza shopping centre (Pizza Hut, Swensen's etc) between Chang Khlan Rd and Soi 1 Tha Phae. It's still in 'soft opening' mode as a hotel - only around 20 rooms open last I asked - but the restaurant and bar are fully open. The lobby, bar and restaurant all meld together, pretty interesting design.

I've eaten at Chiang Mai Saloon several times, have enjoyed everthing I've ordered there. They have 7 different kinds of burgers on the menu, all of them chargrilled. Homemade potato chips are excellent. Friendly, good service.

This month's City Life reviewed burgers all over town, and CM Saloon came out number 1, for what it's worth.

So as we all know looks aren't everything....The Chiang mai Saloon isn't that presentable but the food's great.... I'll have to go there sometime rather than Mikes! :o

Laap Dip. I seem to remember it being banned for sale in restaurants some time back due to the number of people going down with severe liver flukes and other nasty life-threatening illnesses. I seem to remember a particular funeral party causing the deaths of some 20 or so others.

However, if you really want to eat some, take a drive around the villages until you come across a funeral. You'll find a lot of them nowadays. Go in and pay your respects and you can be sure to be offered food, highly likely to include laab dip.

I was put off the dish, Laab Leut (Laab Dip made with fresh pig's blood,) when I watched a drunken ex-father-in-law consume copious quantities with a leaky mouth. The blood was flowing out of his mouth, over chin and soaking the front of a once-white shirt. He looked like severe road kill come back to life.

p1p,

I always said I'd try anything once....Screw that laap Diip they can eat my share at the next drunken funeral I attend!! :o

p1p,

I always said I'd try anything once....Screw that laap Diip they can eat my share at the next drunken funeral I attend!! :o

I have been eating laap dip for a good 25 years now without any ill effects. My inlaws been eating it twice as long without ill effect. But it is rare to find it served at a restaurant. Ai Laan, the gunsmith, once took me to a whole in the wall spot that served laap luat, but that area has now become a giant condo complex. The night spot up in Mae Rim use to serve it and I think the Tha Naam once had it on the menu years ago. But it has always been hard to find it outside the rural villages.

Those who eschew this quintessential Lanna delicacy are missing out on a great gastronnomical opportunity. You can all have your fancy imported steaks in the city, I'll stick with the really fresh local meats.

p1p,

I have been eating laap dip for a good 25 years now without any ill effects. My inlaws been eating it twice as long without ill effect. But it is rare to find it served at a restaurant. Ai Laan, the gunsmith, once took me to a whole in the wall spot that served laap luat, but that area has now become a giant condo complex. The night spot up in Mae Rim use to serve it and I think the Tha Naam once had it on the menu years ago. But it has always been hard to find it outside the rural villages.

Those who eschew this quintessential Lanna delicacy are missing out on a great gastronnomical opportunity. You can all have your fancy imported steaks in the city, I'll stick with the really fresh local meats.

I wouldn't call laap dip quintessentially Lanna/northern Thai, as it's not uniquely northern (plenty of laap dip in Isan). More typically northern is laap khom ('bitter laap') and loo/luu (blood salad), both of which are available at plenty of small restos in Chiang Mai and ever more once you're outside the city limits. Driving from CM to Pai yesterday I passed a half dozen or more places advertising laap khom and loo.

What distinguishes a northern laap from an Isan one is the use of phrik laap, an assortment of seasonings used only in northern laap. The main ingredient is ma-khwaen, known in English as sichuan pepper. If the laap you eat doesn't contain phrik laap, most likely it's an Isan laap, not a northern one.

Have to say that I now give the FE a wide berth. Used to be a real favourite at the Loi Kroh location, but have had three (3!) bad meals by the river - including the time I boasted to my chums they were about to have CM's best steak. Gave them another chance, and then went to a birthday dinner there, but I'm now firmly of the belief that the place serves overpriced crap. Pity, used to be a winner.