Ban Rai Steakhouse

SDH

As the Fillmore East is not open early and I have to get my fix of farang food, I've been frequenting the Ban Rai lately.....

So at the Ban Rai you can get a semi decent T-Bone or an excellent Ostrich steak, now that I think about it the chicken steak aint bad either...It all comes out on this hot plate effort. Now seeings as the Ban Rai is highly recommended for the Cheap Charlie (very reasonable). It can all be washed down with Singha or Hein that comes with a frosted mug and if you ever get the attention of one of the non-attentive staff they will bring you new mugs as you go thus ensuring a table full of empties and a good buzz. :o

As the Fillmore East is not open early and I have to get my fix of farang food, I've been frequenting the Ban Rai lately.....

So at the Ban Rai you can get a semi decent T-Bone or an excellent Ostrich steak, now that I think about it the chicken steak aint bad either...It all comes out on this hot plate effort. Now seeings as the Ban Rai is highly recommended for the Cheap Charlie (very reasonable). It can all be washed down with Singha or Hein that comes with a frosted mug and if you ever get the attention of one of the non-attentive staff they will bring you new mugs as you go thus ensuring a table full of empties and a good buzz. :D

Are you being paid to put on that review? You sound like the lady that does the restaurant reviews in the Chiang Mai Mail (or is is gazette).

Anyway, to counter that I had their 'steak' at the Airport Plaza Food Festival. Can be cooked anyway you want - as long as it's overdone. And, conversely, the potato was all crunchy in the middle - just like my mother used to make - NOT. :o

So at the Ban Rai you can get a semi decent T-Bone or an excellent Ostrich steak, now that I think about it the chicken steak aint bad either...It all comes out on this hot plate effort. Now seeings as the Ban Rai is highly recommended for the Cheap Charlie (very reasonable). It can all be washed down with Singha or Hein that comes with a frosted mug and if you ever get the attention of one of the non-attentive staff they will bring you new mugs as you go thus ensuring a table full of empties and a good buzz. :D

Are you being paid to put on that review? You sound like the lady that does the restaurant reviews in the Chiang Mai Mail (or is is gazette).

Anyway, to counter that I had their 'steak' at the Airport Plaza Food Festival. Can be cooked anyway you want - as long as it's overdone. And, conversely, the potato was all crunchy in the middle - just like my mother used to make - NOT. :D

Nope no payment :o (to bed for me) Anyway I agree with you about their assumption that it should be cooked to a crisp....Once you get there staff to quit watching TV and come to the table if you speak Thai you can get them not to over cook it to death!

I would rather have a steak at The Duke's before going to Ban Rai.  David's prices are quite reasonable and it's not "mystery meat".

:o Alright I'll bite into one of those Dukes non-mystery meat steaks.......All I need to know is where and when I return from the sh_t-Hole I'm currently in I'll check it out!!

:o Alright I'll bite into one of those Dukes non-mystery meat steaks.......All I need to know is where and when I return from the sh_t-Hole I'm currently in I'll check it out!!

The Duke's is on Charoenrat Road, the same street as the Filmore East, between the Nawarat Bridge and the iron bridge near TAT.

:D Hey thanks for the directions.....

I shall be enjoying my non-mystery meat steak when I return to the Kingdom! :D

The Duke's is on Charoenrat Road, the same street as the Filmore East, between the Nawarat Bridge and the iron bridge near TAT.

Is that the english style pub that opened about four years ago ? I thought it was long gone.

Edited by lamphun

So at the Ban Rai you can get a semi decent T-Bone or an excellent Ostrich steak, now that I think about it the chicken steak aint bad either...It all comes out on this hot plate effort. Now seeings as the Ban Rai is highly recommended for the Cheap Charlie (very reasonable). It can all be washed down with Singha or Hein that comes with a frosted mug and if you ever get the attention of one of the non-attentive staff they will bring you new mugs as you go thus ensuring a table full of empties and a good buzz. :o

I think Ban Rai is pretty good value for money, have to say I am surprised that so many claim their steaks are overdone. I ordered well-done last time and got a rare one.

I think Ban Rai is pretty good value for money, have to say I am surprised that so many claim their steaks are overdone. I ordered well-done last time and got a rare one.

There is always a misunderstanding between those that like to order steaks well done - rare - medium etc. Different countries have different ideas of what constitutes medium, well etc. Compare most of Britain with France. British medium steak would be regarded as very over cooked in France and "Well Done" would be used for making horse harnesses. McDonalds used to serve burgers with red, bloody centred meat, not the grey slab you get elsewhere.

Well remember the old British Rail. Their steaks were really good, but only if you ordered Rare. Medium and Shoe-Leather were pre cooked and just re-heated. When business was slow, they could be several days twixt grill and lip. Rare was cooked fresh in the galley and was invariably better quality beef.

Is that the english style pub that opened about four years ago ? I thought it was long gone.

New name, new owner. David is a professional. He was here sixteen years ago and had a successful place called America. He returned to San Diego where he and his Thai wife, Pin, owned and operated another restaurant. Now he's back with his family and doing really great serving American West Coast fare. He did Thanksgiving dinner last month and sold out. Today he did a Christmas lunch buffet with numerous choices. I don't think anyone walked away hungry. I know there's plenty of other restaurants to choose from in Chiang Mai and some are quite good. This would be one to add to the list.

Walked out of the Ban Rai at Loi Kratong. waited over an hour for steaks to come, they came out at ten minute intervals well after later-seated diners had been served and had wrong sauces and sides. The meat looked pretty good and we would have persevered - it was Loi Kratong and very busy - but the staff were so ###### rude, we left.

What is it about some restaurants that they look at customers with such disdain for having the nerve to disturb their evenings? Dammit, shitty service gets my goat. I'll try them again though. Everyone deserves a second chance, and as I said, those steaks did look good.

Walked out of the Ban Rai at Loi Kratong. waited over an hour for steaks to come, they came out at ten minute intervals well after later-seated diners had been served and had wrong sauces and sides. The meat looked pretty good and we would have persevered - it was Loi Kratong and very busy - but the staff were so ###### rude, we left.

What is it about some restaurants that they look at customers with such disdain for having the nerve to disturb their evenings? Dammit, shitty service gets my goat. I'll try them again though. Everyone deserves a second chance, and as I said, those steaks did look good.

Polecat,

:o Yes you're right the service suck's so BAD there.....If you Nong them a lot it drives them crazy. My Thai friends asked to see the owner and told them the TV was bothering them one afternoon.....I thought the girl was going to lose it when he switched it off 5555555