First Time To Penang

Hi, all

I'm off to Penang in a few weeks to make an application for a triple-entry tourist visa. I've been here almost 15 months on a non-Imm B but that's almost done, so I have to find another way to stay longer so as not to have to do the monthly runs to Poi Pet or wherever.

I'd be grateful if anyone who has been to Penang can advise me on a few things. If there's some reference on this forum to my questions, perhaps someone could direct me there?

For example, what's the best way to get there? It looks like Air Asia at the moment, but is it worth taking the train?

Where's the consulate? Are there any reasonable hotels near there? I expect to leave on a Sunday and hopefully apply on the Monday and return on the Tuesday. What's the turnround time for the visa app to be granted? Is it feasible to apply on a Monday morning and get the visa next day? And opening hours of the consulate - anyone know?

I gather it's best to find an agent when there, bung him a few baht and let him do the running around.

And what is there to do when there? Do I need to take a stack of malaysian currency, or can I use Thai baht?

Any advice welcome - and presumably it will help others who read it too!

TIA

1. Worth taking the train? To save money or what? Only you can answer that question. The flight is a couple of hours of you day. The train is almost 24 hours when running (not running at present due to floods).

2. The Royal Thai Consulate General, Penang is in the suburbs of the city of Georgetown. People stay downtown Georgetown or on the beach to the West. One for the preferred hotels is Hotel Continental which costs about 1,000 baht for a good business class hotel. It is located near the main tourist road so has easy access to visa services and believe can provide at front desk.

3. Consulate operates 09-1200 to receive applications for visa and returns the next business day between 14-1600. Closed Thai and Malaysian holidays and Sat/Sun.

4. A visa service can perform the legwork at about the same cost as DIY using taxi service so probably makes sense for most.

5. You need Malaysian currency for everything, including visa.

Lopburi has provided his usual sound advice.

I can add / recommend Hotel Continental also (not Grand Continental), and the front desk manager (Patrick) can provide the visa service. He charges 60 RM.

If you take a 10 minute walk down Chulia street to the NJ Book Centre / Money changer, they provide the same service for 20 RM. They are located next to the entrance to Swiss Hotel.

1.  Worth taking the train?  To save money or what?  Only you can answer that question.  The flight is a couple of hours of you day.  The train is almost 24 hours when running (not running at present due to floods).

2.  The Royal Thai Consulate General, Penang is in the suburbs of the city of Georgetown.  People stay downtown Georgetown or on the beach to the West.  One for the preferred hotels is Hotel Continental which costs about 1,000 baht for a good business class hotel.  It is located near the main tourist road so has easy access to visa services and believe can provide at front desk. 

3.  Consulate operates 09-1200 to receive applications for visa and returns the next business day between 14-1600.  Closed Thai and Malaysian holidays and Sat/Sun.

4.  A visa service can perform the legwork at about the same cost as DIY using taxi service so probably makes sense for most.

5.  You need Malaysian currency for everything, including visa.

Great stuff, thanks. Just what I was hoping for - ta.

1 Train. Yes, I appreciate that - I don't think it will be any cheaper than flying, and I may as well take the plane, especially as you tell me that the train service is off at the mo'.

2. The hotel sounds fine - I assume a taxi from the airport will find the place OK? What might I expect to pay for a taxi, BTW?

3. From a subsequent reply, it seems the visa service he mentions sounds the best.

4. I'll stock up on Ringgits, then! :o Any idea of the approx exchange rate at the mo'?

Air Asia often have very good value flights - there is a free plus taxes offer at present. However, the biggest down side is the departure time, which I think is 7.00am (only one flight per day).

Last time I went I got a flight to Samui, where a stayed for a few days and then got the bus to Hat Yai then Penang.

I third the Hotel Coninental, I've stayed there a few times, and you can book by email. In July the price was 80.5 RM per night in the old wing, more for the new wing, but the old is ok.

Leaving Sunday and coming back Tuesday depends on the return flight time, probably have to add another night's stay.

I use an agent to, PM me if you want his phone number. I don't know how good other agents are at sorting out problems at the Embassy for you are, my guy is good. He got me a B visa without the then new requirement of a letter from the Labour Ministry.

Today's exchange rate is 1RM = 10.8462bt.

At the airport go upstairs to the departure area and get a taxi from there, it's cheaper than downstairs.

I always rent a m/c and ride round the island, stopping off for a swim on usually deserted beaches, it's a nice ride. If you have a driving licence take it, if not the TM card is accepted.

Go up Penang hill, nice and cool up there, and a nice way to spend a few hours. Komtar is always good for shopping and time killing. You can't miss it, it's the tallest building around, and I use it as a land mark to get myself back to where I know! On the bike, cross the bridge and come back on the ferry, or visa versa, makes a change. It's free to leave the island but small charge to get on it. The bridge is the longest in Asia, or something like that, 13.5km long. Plenty of bars and things if you want it, and plenty of eateries. If you like old Colonial buildings, Penang is full of them. Fort Cornwallis is interesting, worth a look anyway. Lovely old Colonial building museum behind the hotel, you can't miss it, it's blue and lit up at night. English toilets, plugs and sockets! English spoken everywhere. In Komtar I can get Heinz English recipe baked beans. English biscuits are cheaper than LOS too, and more choice of them. 200gm bars of Cadbury's!

All in all I like going there, it's step up from LOS but still not full first world, a bit more like home though, to me anyway.

One downside, having to pay a deposit at the hotel and bike rental means you're stuck with a lot of Ringgit just as you're leaving Penang.

Go and enjoy!

2.  The hotel sounds fine - I assume a taxi from the airport will find the place OK?  What might I expect to pay for a taxi, BTW?

Taxis are controlled / fixed price at the Penang airport. They definitely know Hotel Continental. There is a desk in the arrivals area. Last time I went, price was 38 RM to Georgetown destinations.

Hotel Continental can also send a driver- request when making your reservation. Price is slightly higher, 45 RM.

Thanks for all the excellent info.

Just a thought - will I have to show some money somewhere?  I assume, as I shall be asking for a triople-entry tourist visa, that I shall have to show 20,000 baht on re-entry into Thailand?  Is that correct?

Although you will probably not be asked to show it that is the requirement for a visa entry into Thailand for everyone (single traveler). They could ask at immigration when you return.

After living here for a couple of years on a tourist visa the Embassy in Penang wanted proof of money to live on, it caught me out the first time but my agent got round it by showing photocopies of my visa cards. Next time I went prepared with my bank book, apart from that I've never had to show money in Penang or coming back to Thailand from Penang.

Hii just done a visa run to Penang, very boring place, stayed at Continental 98 rm for superior room , litle bit tired but Ok value, it is a sealed hotel though, you cannot open the windows, and you cannot adjust the room temperature even though it says you can and there is a dial, it did not work in my room, I undertook never to stay in a hotel in the tropics without a balcony again.

Yep official price from airport is 38 mr got 30 mr back to the airport could probably get this from departures concourse as suggested.

Total lack of tourist maps information at airport/Continental front desk did not help.

Peanut butter and Johnsons baby oil a lot cheaper in Penang, Check wholesale store down Road from Continental if you stay there cheapest place I came across, no frills..