How Much Does A Modest House & Land Cost In Ubon

ShanePashen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I should have mentioned as well that the 2 million baht includes furnishings (lights, furniture, appliances etc etc. It would be good for the OP to know the total cost and not just the building costs) To be honest, I didn't really keep track of every single expense because the ultimate figure (2 million) is in my books, good value for money.

Your house still doesnt look finished in those pics. And why is the floor of the house on ground level, why not raise it up at least 60cm? Have you seen how much it rains here when it does?

The 2 million we paid to the housing company included all lights, floor tiles, everything painted, stepped ceilings with spotlights and fans, both bathrooms all completely furnished and finished. Basically the house was ready to live in for 2m and we did the day it was completed by the electrician. It also included 20cm Q-con bricks for the whole house and two tone C-Pac tiles.

Where the hell did your 2 million go?? It looks like a normal Isaan village style house. You dont even have quality branded roof tiles.

I hate to tell you this mate, but I think there is a builder walking around with about 1 million baht of your money in his pocket.

It's not yet 100% finished. It's on ground level but that's because it's raised up about a meter from street level. I can't remember exactly but I think we had about 200 truck loads of soil put down. Builders fee was actually only a couple of hundred thousand baht, I bought most of the materials myself.

A substantial amount of money went towards things which are not visible in the picture and which may not be necessary for some. For eg, 60,000 baht for main door and 20,000 baht for patio door (from Home Pro - not the cheapest but the most convenient for me). Lots and lots of windows with mosquito netting. A as yet unstarted outbuilding comprising kitchen and workshop (about 800 sq feet). A 50,000 bht 48 (?) inch 3D HDTV as yet undelivered. Vllleroy & Boch and Grohe fittings for my bathroom (extended family just regular stuff).

I could have easily built a liveable house for 1 million but it's not everyday that one builds one's own house so might as well make it worth the effort. I guess I could have easily saved 20% off what I paid but the I decided that convenience and less stress was worth the money.

Sounds good mate. I also paid more for convenience and less stress by using a building company. I would hate to think how stressful it would've been to do it the hard way!!

food for thought 1000000, is about $31500 Aud, so not that much money really at all.

Actually it seems like sweet FA really if you have land, i have a bad feeling about Thai builders, and whiskey swilling in laws however.

That's exactly the whole point. Assuming the gf has land available, building a comfortable house is dirt cheap. With regards to Thai builders, you don't really have much of a choice other than trying to build the house yourself but that will not endear you to the local community that you will eventually stay in. Ask around and try to get the most reliable local builder that you can - one advantage of this is that they are a minute's walk away in case you need them on site. For whiskey swilling in laws, can't help you there as mine don't drink. I outswill them 10 to 1.

Maybe I should have mentioned as well that the 2 million baht includes furnishings (lights, furniture, appliances etc etc. It would be good for the OP to know the total cost and not just the building costs) To be honest, I didn't really keep track of every single expense because the ultimate figure (2 million) is in my books, good value for money.

Your house still doesnt look finished in those pics. And why is the floor of the house on ground level, why not raise it up at least 60cm? Have you seen how much it rains here when it does?

The 2 million we paid to the housing company included all lights, floor tiles, everything painted, stepped ceilings with spotlights and fans, both bathrooms all completely furnished and finished. Basically the house was ready to live in for 2m and we did the day it was completed by the electrician. It also included 20cm Q-con bricks for the whole house and two tone C-Pac tiles.

Where the hell did your 2 million go?? It looks like a normal Isaan village style house. You dont even have quality branded roof tiles.

I hate to tell you this mate, but I think there is a builder walking around with about 1 million baht of your money in his pocket.

It's not yet 100% finished. It's on ground level but that's because it's raised up about a meter from street level. I can't remember exactly but I think we had about 200 truck loads of soil put down. Builders fee was actually only a couple of hundred thousand baht, I bought most of the materials myself.

A substantial amount of money went towards things which are not visible in the picture and which may not be necessary for some. For eg, 60,000 baht for main door and 20,000 baht for patio door (from Home Pro - not the cheapest but the most convenient for me). Lots and lots of windows with mosquito netting. A as yet unstarted outbuilding comprising kitchen and workshop (about 800 sq feet). A 50,000 bht 48 (?) inch 3D HDTV as yet undelivered. Vllleroy & Boch and Grohe fittings for my bathroom (extended family just regular stuff).

I could have easily built a liveable house for 1 million but it's not everyday that one builds one's own house so might as well make it worth the effort. I guess I could have easily saved 20% off what I paid but the I decided that convenience and less stress was worth the money.

Sounds good mate. I also paid more for convenience and less stress by using a building company. I would hate to think how stressful it would've been to do it the hard way!!

Out of curiosity, where did you build?

food for thought 1000000, is about $31500 Aud, so not that much money really at all.

Actually it seems like sweet FA really if you have land, i have a bad feeling about Thai builders, and whiskey swilling in laws however.

It's not much money in Australia for a house, but if all your Isaan neighbours are living in 50k baht houses, then it's relatively a lot of money.

And like someone said, choose a budget and double it, that will be nearer your final price. I thought (and was told) we could build a house here for 1m, but for the style and quality I wanted it came out to 2m. Our house is European style, i.e. many rooms, ensuite, indoors kitchen (plus one outside for Thai cooking) etc.

Again, the budget for a house all depends on why you want to live here(?). Have you seen your prospective new neighborhood? Have you spent much time in Isaan yet? It's not for everyone, for example it's definitely not for me!! I'm in my early 30's and I'm now living out in a remote village in the rice fields with no other (sociable) farangs to talk to. I can speak Thai but everyone here speaks Lao, and even the Thai words they use I cannot get a lot of the time. I've picked up a bit of Lao but tbh it is ruining my Thai and I am starting to use common Lao words instead when I want to talk Thai. There is no way I could live the rest of my life like this right now but I am prepared to sacrifice a few years for my family until my son has grown a little surrounded by a lot of people who love him here. It's not all bad here for me, I like a lot of things here and have a very good happy life, everyone is very friendly and helpful and caring towards me, but this culture, food and language is not what I came to Thailand for, I wanted Thai food, language and culture. On a beach! :)

Just saying, you might want to check it out before you commit to anything for your other half.

• Like 1

About an hour away from Ubon city and about half hour away from Sisaket. You know that Big Buddha, about 20 mins after that. It's a big village, a few nice (2 million baht plus) houses here and a couple more being built.

It's not much money in Australia for a house, but if all your Isaan neighbours are living in 50k baht houses, then it's relatively a lot of money.

And like someone said, choose a budget and double it, that will be nearer your final price. I thought (and was told) we could build a house here for 1m, but for the style and quality I wanted it came out to 2m. Our house is European style, i.e. many rooms, ensuite, indoors kitchen (plus one outside for Thai cooking) etc.

Again, the budget for a house all depends on why you want to live here(?). Have you seen your prospective new neighborhood? Have you spent much time in Isaan yet? It's not for everyone, for example it's definitely not for me!! I'm in my early 30's and I'm now living out in a remote village in the rice fields with no other (sociable) farangs to talk to. I can speak Thai but everyone here speaks Lao, and even the Thai words they use I cannot get a lot of the time. I've picked up a bit of Lao but tbh it is ruining my Thai and I am starting to use common Lao words instead when I want to talk Thai. There is no way I could live the rest of my life like this right now but I am prepared to sacrifice a few years for my family until my son has grown a little surrounded by a lot of people who love him here. It's not all bad here for me, I like a lot of things here and have a very good happy life, everyone is very friendly and helpful and caring towards me, but this culture, food and language is not what I came to Thailand for, I wanted Thai food, language and culture. On a beach! smile.png

Just saying, you might want to check it out before you commit to anything for your other half.

Very wise words indeed, She speaks fluent Lao, and like you said, it is spoken more where she comes from, than Thai.

And yes i see it as a holiday home, not a permanent living arrangement, and yes you are dead right i haven't even been there yet.

it would be for her sake, the house got built.

I have taken it all on board, I really do need to spend some time there, and see if I like the cut of their jib.

Sounds interesting though, cat eating, insect eating, rancid fish eating, cheesy.gif

About an hour away from Ubon city and about half hour away from Sisaket. You know that Big Buddha, about 20 mins after that. It's a big village, a few nice (2 million baht plus) houses here and a couple more being built.

Not too far from where I am, about 80 kms or so. I guess quite a few farangs where you're at.

Very wise words indeed, She speaks fluent Lao, and like you said, it is spoken more where she comes from, than Thai.

And yes i see it as a holiday home, not a permanent living arrangement, and yes you are dead right i haven't even been there yet.

I have taken it all on board, I really do need to spend some time there, and see if I like the cut of their jib.

Sounds interesting though, cat eating, insect eating, rancid fish eating, cheesy.gif

My original plan was also for a holiday home basically just so we had our own place with a nice bathroom, kitchen and everything, for when we came to visit family and celebrate the festivals here. It quickly got out of hand when we found out we were pregnant and before I knew it I had designed a house that we could live in forever. I completely took my eyes off the prize with that one cuz there is no way any farang should let his kid grow up in Isaan. So now we have a fantastic house with all mod cons, I'm enjoying hot showers every morning, roast dinners, we have a nice garden, my PS3 is hooked up to a big HD TV, we have broadband internet and beer is cheap and easy to come by, so basically everything I wanted from a house here.

Socially for a younger person, it sucks. It sucks hard. Everyone is always up for a party and skipping a days work at the drop of a hat and those times are fun. Some of my gf's family who are my age will come and drink beer and play video games with me occasionally but apart from helping locals with some building work or chores here, that is pretty much the limit of my social life in the village. There's a couple of old farangs in this village who I sometimes see sitting on their porch but neither of them have even said one word to me in 2 years on numerous attempts to start a conversation - those types of farangs are my role models of what not to become here.

Nobody eats cat here (AFAIK) but dogs are regularly stolen in trucks at night for food. I saw more insect eating in BKK, but the fermented fish brown sauce is absolutely vile.

Like I said, if it wasn't for my son I wouldn't be living here. Maybe you will love it in Isaan, how old are you??

Not too far from where I am, about 80 kms or so. I guess quite a few farangs where you're at.

No, just a couple of old guys who are anti social to other farangs. The only expat I would say I am friends with here is a Japanese guy who is married to my gf's cousin, but he doesn't talk English very well so we have to talk in Thai, which is a bit odd.

Very nice, spacious. Obv you didnt let the missus do the decorating, no blue or pink anywhere!

Like your pond placement.

You seem to have a bad gypsy infestation on your veranda though, I'd get on to that.

Dear Shane ... did you read any of my post? coffee1.gif

Google maybe your friend, but I strongly suggest that you search in the Real Estate section in the Thai Visa Forum.

There you have real members here dealing with real problems and offering real solutions.

Though others may differ, there is no such thing really as a 'holiday home' located on your gf's land in Thailand.

If you go and build a nice, swanky home on land that your gf's parents have given you for free and you expect to lock it up as a holiday home, with all it's mod cons while the gf's parents and her family squat under the equivalent of a fibro shack ... whistling.gif

The Thai mentality is that what you have built there is a 'shared' asset.

If you padlock the house that you have built and have not shared with the family, there is the strong chance of great resentment being directed at you by the gf's family.

Your mentality has reverted to thinking that ... WOW, that is not much money in Australian dollar terms for a house or for anything bought in Thailand ... rolleyes.gif

You accept the advice that you like and ignore the advice that goes against your narrow experience of the slice of Thai Culture that you have experienced.

Apologies for the harsh words, but you are skipping merrily down the road with those rose coloured glasses on again.

... up to you cowboy.gif

Edited by David48

Shane, great advice by the two guys above.

Expectation in Thailand are totally different.

Do you want a Western style bathroom?

Do you want a kitchen in the house or outside?

Does the land have title?

You know that YOU can't own the land?

After you have read the thread that suggested by necronx99 above, read through some of the entries in the http://www.thaivisa....land-ownership/

59-real-estate-housing-house-and-land-ownership

And the http://www.thaivisa....-housing-forum/

124-do-it-yourself-housing-forum/

Then, when you are thinking about the home, think WHO will live in the home ... and I am sure YOUR thinking will be different then your GF's thinking.

If I may,

YouTube my videos at :

mario299100

we built near Prasat in 2008, then continued more in 2009. We have less than 2 million baht into it, including all furniture, appliances, etc., and yes, the land was hers so no cost for it. We engaged a builder for labor costs, we paid for all materials based on a plan and his material orders.

I was fortunate to be there on-site for pretty much everything, which I highly recommend, and am happy to give advice should you like.

Search the forum, lots of very good advice here.

Regards

mario299

Very nice, spacious. Obv you didnt let the missus do the decorating, no blue or pink anywhere!

Like your pond placement.

You seem to have a bad gypsy infestation on your veranda though, I'd get on to that.

Hahaha, good one. I'm trying believe me, but it's a bit heartless to throw the wife's grandmother and "simple" uncle out on the streets, don't you think?

This may come as a surprise and horror to some but I actually built this house for the whole family (not many, just the mother, younger sister, grandmother and uncle) to stay in as well - the right section is my own private section which is about half the size of the rest of the house plus the two patios (once I get rid of the gypsy furniture of course).

My original plan was also for a holiday home basically just so we had our own place with a nice bathroom, kitchen and everything, for when we came to visit family and celebrate the festivals here. It quickly got out of hand when we found out we were pregnant and before I knew it I had designed a house that we could live in forever. I completely took my eyes off the prize with that one cuz there is no way any farang should let his kid grow up in Isaan. So now we have a fantastic house with all mod cons, I'm enjoying hot showers every morning, roast dinners, we have a nice garden, my PS3 is hooked up to a big HD TV, we have broadband internet and beer is cheap and easy to come by, so basically everything I wanted from a house here.

Socially for a younger person, it sucks. It sucks hard. Everyone is always up for a party and skipping a days work at the drop of a hat and those times are fun. Some of my gf's family who are my age will come and drink beer and play video games with me occasionally but apart from helping locals with some building work or chores here, that is pretty much the limit of my social life in the village. There's a couple of old farangs in this village who I sometimes see sitting on their porch but neither of them have even said one word to me in 2 years on numerous attempts to start a conversation - those types of farangs are my role models of what not to become here.

Nobody eats cat here (AFAIK) but dogs are regularly stolen in trucks at night for food. I saw more insect eating in BKK, but the fermented fish brown sauce is absolutely vile.

Like I said, if it wasn't for my son I wouldn't be living here. Maybe you will love it in Isaan, how old are you??

Kunmatt I am now 46, my TGF has jusy turned 30, I am the first to admit I am a total novice with regards to Thai culture and the way everything works,

I knew things were very different in Thailand when 2 Taxi drivers in a cane hut and i witnessed a car accident between a motorbike and and a car, in Patong. I was horrified, while they were actually both laughing so hard, I thought they were going to piss themselves, they were hysterical, almost crying they though it was so funny.

I knew from that moment we were worlds apart.

It just occured to me, if my TGF has land, and our relationship goes the distance, how good it would be, to have a turnkey solution in her home for holidays, for really not a lot of money.

same deal, holidays festivals etc.

I would want it to be a decent spec however, perhaps much like yourself, hot shower, american toilet, not palatial, but no shack either.

However, I would want that to be very much our own personal space, like most westerners, I can barely deal with my own family for any length of time, let alone someone elses.

I'm beginning to think fantasy and reality are going to be tow very different things in Isaan.

Google maybe your friend, but I strongly suggest that you search in the Real Estate section in the Thai Visa Forum.

There you have real members here dealing with real problems and offering real solutions.

Though others may differ, there is no such thing really as a 'holiday home' located on your gf's land in Thailand.

If you go and build a nice, swanky home on land that your gf's parents have given you for free and you expect to lock it up as a holiday home, with all it's mod cons while the gf's parents and her family squat under the equivalent of a fibro shack ... whistling.gif

If you padlock the house that you have built and have not shared with the family, there is the strong chance of great resentment being directed at you by the gf's family.

Your mentality has reverted to thinking that ... WOW, that is not much money in Australian dollar terms for a house or for anything bought in Thailand ... rolleyes.gif

You accept the advice that you like and ignore the advice that goes against your narrow experience of the slice of Thai Culture that you have experienced.

Apologies for the harsh words, but you are skipping merrily down the road with those rose coloured glasses on again.

... up to you cowboy.gif

David, I always consider all your advice carefully, as it is usually very good advice. Yes without stereotyping, we have seen many problems here in Australia,with Indigenolus Australians, and also The Moari from New Zealand, who tend to live in extended, almost communal familys, with many squatters, freeloaders and too much alcohol, and not enough productive work time. I don't have to tell anyone about these problems, and yes the last thing i would want is to build a house, lock it up for 6 mths and come back and it's been a party house, or considered extended familys property, yes that is a real issue. That concerns me a great deal. I am thinking of a solution to that. I tend to see things in a western mindset, my house is my house, not family property, a real problem that one.

I also have a problem with good for nothing freeloaders who don't work, and drink too much.

If I may,

YouTube my videos at :

mario299100

we built near Prasat in 2008, then continued more in 2009. We have less than 2 million baht into it, including all furniture, appliances, etc., and yes, the land was hers so no cost for it. We engaged a builder for labor costs, we paid for all materials based on a plan and his material orders.

I was fortunate to be there on-site for pretty much everything, which I highly recommend, and am happy to give advice should you like.

Search the forum, lots of very good advice here.

Regards

mario299

Very nice Mario. Not too dissimilar from mine in that you also have two "buildings". In my case, the building on the right is my "personal quarters", sort of like a mini studio with ensuite.

I envy your workshop - mine won't be build for another month at least.

David, I always consider all your advice carefully, as it is usually very good advice. Yes without stereotyping, we have seen many problems here in Australia,with Indigenolus Australians, and also The Moari from New Zealand, who tend to live in extended, almost communal familys, with many squatters, freeloaders and too much alcohol, and not enough productive work time. I don't have to tell anyone about these problems, and yes the last thing i would want is to build a house, lock it up for 6 mths and come back and it's been a party house, or considered extended familys property, yes that is a real issue. That concerns me a great deal. I am thinking of a solution to that. I tend to see things in a western mindset, my house is my house, not family property, a real problem that one.

I also have a problem with good for nothing freeloaders who don't work, and drink too much.

This was exactly the same thought process I went through. My partner and I still live in Bangkok for work reasons. However, I also wanted a holiday home (for now, till I retire). I don't have this thing that a lot of westerners have, about privacy. One way to be part of a local Isaan community is exactly that - be part of it, and living with the extended family comes naturally.

So in effect, I actually built two houses in one. There are some common areas such as living and dining rooms, kitchen etc but then I have one huge room with ensuite where I (will) have my own TV, sofa, snug. My wife purchased an external fire proofed door as the door to our own area and this is tantamount to hanging up a private sign but with more subtlety.

If ever you're interested, let me know, I don't mind showing you around if we're both in the area at the same time.

Kunmatt I am now 46, my TGF has jusy turned 30, I am the first to admit I am a total novice with regards to Thai culture and the way everything works,

I knew things were very different in Thailand when 2 Taxi drivers in a cane hut and i witnessed a car accident between a motorbike and and a car, in Patong. I was horrified, while they were actually both laughing so hard, I thought they were going to piss themselves, they were hysterical, almost crying they though it was so funny.

I knew from that moment we were worlds apart.

It just occured to me, if my TGF has land, and our relationship goes the distance, how good it would be, to have a turnkey solution in her home for holidays, for really not a lot of money.

same deal, holidays festivals etc.

I would want it to be a decent spec however, perhaps much like yourself, hot shower, american toilet, not palatial, but no shack either.

However, I would want that to be very much our own personal space, like most westerners, I can barely deal with my own family for any length of time, let alone someone elses.

I'm beginning to think fantasy and reality are going to be tow very different things in Isaan.

... up to you cowboy.gif

Isaan culture and Thai culture are very different, they are very different people, I wish it was Thai culture here!!

Honestly, I think you should reserve judgement until you've been to Isaan and met and stayed with your TGF's family, what kind of people they are should make up your mind whether you want to live here or not. I decided after the first week of staying with my gf's parents that we should build a house here because they are good people and do not fit into the stereotupe you are talking about. Ive met a few lazy drunks but they are the minority here, basically most people here have to work to feed themselves and their family or they'd all starve to death. My gf's dad is the hardest working man Ive ever met in my life, he farms rice all day, fishes all night and still finds time to do more work on our house and garden than me - Ive never once heard him complain as he just does it naturally to support his family, a truely remarkable man who I greatly admire.

Your Thai family will very probably feature in your life frequently. We live about 2 blocks away from my gf's parents and they adore my son, and honestly he acts like he loves them more than us! Since we moved here they come over every morning at breakfast time and help out with the baby which is great. If we need to go to the city they insist on babysitting him. When I go away to work they are always here to help my gf out with everything which is what it's all about, if we still lived in BKK my gf would have no support like this.

Nobody has slept over in our house yet despite numerous invitations from me, Im hoping that during Songkran we have some guests but so far it doesnt look like we will. I think next time I go to work her mum or dad will stay here for her company. So the close knit family thing here is good for us.

Spend a vist to your TGF's hometown first and suck it and see. Like I said, dont make any promises to her now because it would be very difficult to back out of them later if you decide you dont want to live with her family once you've spent some time with them.

• Like 2

that is one ugly house!

My wife likes it. That's all the matters to me coffee1.gif

yes exactly !!! if u dont mind me asking did you engage a builder or did you contract the work out yourselves ? and how long did you take to get to this stage ? your 2 mill did not include land price as well i take it ?? well done cheap house in my books ...

We engaged a builder. As this was the first (and possibly last, haha) house that I built, I wasted quite a bit of money unnecessarily. The many (and thick) columns were meant to support a much thicker (4 pack?) roof tile but due to the large area, the roof tiles were going to cost me a fortune so I changed these.

Biggest problem of course is that my partner and I both actually live in Bkk so project managing was left to the other members of the family. No need to tell you how that turned out smile.png.

Best advice would be to project manage it yourself on the spot. Check heights of all doors and architraves. Check levelling of bathroom counters. Check locations of power points etc. No floor plan and measurements, no matter how detailed, will be transferred from paper to ground. Measure everything yourself.

Actually, that's second best advice. Best advice, sabai sabai, no big deal how the house turns out, as long as the BBQ works, the beer's cold and the wife's still loving, what more does one need in life?

In my experience,you have to be there every minute of every day.

that is one ugly house!

What a shit thing to say jerk.gif

the house is not ugly! it's colourful, stylish and possesses a variety of very interesting details.

personally i'd enjoy to live in it... as much as i enjoy a nightmare ph34r.png

that is one ugly house!

the house is not ugly! it's colourful, stylish and possesses a variety of very interesting details.

i guess you found your post witty ? hit-the-fan.gif

that is one ugly house!

i guess you found your post witty ? hit-the-fan.gif

All I can say is that this has shown up some farangs for what they really are, in spite of their protestations. No wonder that so many of them are so bitter about living here.

All I can say is that this has shown up some farangs for what they really are, in spite of their protestations. No wonder that so many of them are so bitter about living here.

Come on, don't accuse us of being bitter because we don't like the look of your house.

Do you like the look of the house? Pillars in the middle of the rooms and all?

So far you have only posted that your wife likes the house, which sort of implies you are not that satisfied either.

Come on, don't accuse us of being bitter because we don't like the look of your house.

Do you like the look of the house? Pillars in the middle of the rooms and all?

So far you have only posted that your wife likes the house, which sort of implies you are not that satisfied either.

Who's "We"?

Ir looks fine and is designed for his needs.

I'm guessing by the style and finish on that house and seeing things like the support posts in the middle of a bedroom it was done by a village builder, or even his family members in their spare time and if so 2 million baht is steep. My gf's dad and his family and friends built his house for 200k and the finish looks very similar to that. 3000ft2 works out to 7k per m2; we just paid 10k per m2 with a building company in Ubon and it is European quality - kinda! At least we get a year guarantee to right all the wrongs...

OP it all depends on your circumstance. I've just paid 2 million for a house in a part of Thailand I wouldn't live if it wasn't for my gf and son, and we only plan to be here for a few years until our son is of school age. Chances of us selling this place in the end is virtually zero as Thai's generally don't want to buy a second hand house, they want to build a new one. I did it to be close with my gf's family as we all get on really well, it is great for my son to be here and I can afford to spend 2 million for 3 years accommodation, plus whenever we come back in the future to visit family our house will be waiting for us. If you've got the money and plan to stay here for a long time then it is worth investing in a very comfortable place with all mod cons, if it's only temporary or short term and you don't have the money to throw away then try to find somewhere to rent , or stay with your Thai family!

Oh yeah, and building a house in Isaan has been one of the most stressful things I have ever done in my real life. I don't recommend it.

Such good advice in your middle para Khun Matt

I reckon that the small to medium house done in a semi-European style in the OP's posting would have cost about 1.5 to 1.75 million including and fittings but no external works. The quality of floor tiling can make a 200,000 baht diference between cheap patterned (garish!) Thai style and imported polished granite. Mine is of a similar style but about double the size. Builder quoted 3.35 million but it cost 4 million by the time I had respecified fittings and added extras

Beware people bragging about how little their house cost. They rarely price in all the extras like aircon and all those expensive late embellishments. It rarely includes any outside works like driveways and walling and gardens - can add 10 to 20% to the price.

Don't build in the sticks unless you have easy access to enough electricity (I can still only run 2 aircons at any one time - which we have learned to live with quite easily - and would have to pay a lot to get a higher rated supply). If you don't have a village water supply then you are looking at 100,000 plus for a well and tower. Don't build in the sticks unless you have a nearby phone supply which supplies a reasonable TOT internet signal. If this is a random bit of Issan paddy I'd say its unlikely to fit a falang's needs unless said falang is a hermit or cheap charlie escaping from having insufficient money to live properly back home. Nothing wrong with that - I take my hat off to the many falang out here who can live close to Issan style at home - no aircon no modern conveniences and a patchy internet/TV set-up

Hi Shane.

Sorry about the people who can't stay on topic, hijack itand have to 'act' the way they do!angry.png

I've seen some good posts though...Again, it's want you want that will present the cost. My friend bought land abo ut 1km from big C, but far out to be very rural. He spent 500,00 on land and 1.5 mil on a beautiful 3 bed bungalow. Very big lounge/dining area. Incredible western kitchen.

However a poster here pointed out he's by the lake and next door have half rai 1.5mil. (To me that actually sounds quite cheap)

Coming here and spending much time looking will help.

However, I would suggest you act quite quickly because since the Bangkok floods and rumours of BKK and Sth Thailand sinking, it appears land prices are increasing rapidly. (info from Thais, not my speculation). If you drive round the back of the airport past the places selling tree, decorated blockwork, etc, and go straight over the 1st traffic lights, drive slowly and take a look at some of the houses being built there. Some are incredible. (15-20 mil up) Quick example: I,(sorry, wifey before I get abused!) was offered 2.45mil more than 'she' paid for it by a Bangkok company that flooded. This just 5 months after it was bought.

I wish you good luck. PM me if u need any help.

bc

Just read KunMatt on qoute post #59....Very stressful building here....DO NOT leave them building without your constant supervision and find a good builder. (I know one)

Edited by beerchang