Swedish-thai citizenship

My wife is a Thai citizen and she has aquired Swedish citizenship as well. She has a Thai passport and a Thai ID card as well. Double citizenship is now allowed. She must travel with a Swedish passport to return to Sweden with no problems. Thus she has to apply for a tourist visa for our stay of about 50 days.

We have heard from a Thai lady living in Sweden that it is unnecessary to apply for a visa at all.

When she arrives at Don Muang, she walks to the line for applying for a tourist visa, shows the officer her Thai ID card and he stamps a one year visa in her Swedish passport at once, no questions asked.

Anybody knows if this is correct? I have to check it before I dare to do the same. Would also her son 12 years old get the same treatment?

I am grateful for ideas about this.

akesjo

I think the lady you are talking about is saying that if your wife has a Thai passport then she can enter,leave and do whatever she wants without a Visa.

She (your wife)has the best of both worlds-Thailand/Thai PP-Sweden /Swedish PP..nice one and could say she has everything "tied up"

Should make things easier for you if you decide on a long term resdence.

About the 12 year old...will let someone else answer that..as Dr Pat says...... ::o:

Sorry about the 12 year old boy. He is in the same position as his mother, Thai and Swedish passport.

My wife cannot go to Thailand with a Thai passport and then change to a Swedish on exit, because the sticker that is inserted on entry in the Thai passport and thus missing in the Swedish on exit! And she cannot use the Swedish residency permit in the Thai passport because it vas invalidated when she became a Swedish citizen.

Am I right?

akesjo

Use swedish passports while entering and exiting Sweden, and use Thai passports when entering and exiting Thailand.

Same at airport checkin point, they might ask for visa, if then show the second passport.

Voila!

As Fester suggests keep it simple.

a. I assume your Wife has a gen.up to date Thai Passport.

B. Again assume a full EU/Swedish Passport.

Then when leaving Sweden or anywhere in Europe depart on said EU.passport....Bye Bye see you next time-No checks on departure (we are in the lands of the free)

Arrival at BK.enter on Thai Passport (this is all the Thai Immigration really SEE they dont really care about other countries visas,stamps on whatits)

Now as a THAI she gets a entry and wee bit of arrival card  but as Thai she can stay forever...you on arrival (assume Swedish) get 30 days.

After 2-3 weeks hols you both leave-stamped out and gone.

Back to Sweden both enter on EU/Swedish passports.The Thai Passport is in the bag until next time.Dont forget to renew it every 5 years (ours is 10),,well its a money thing.. ::o:

Any other comments or would this be about right.

My wife cannot go to Thailand with a Thai passport and then change to a Swedish on exit, because the sticker that is inserted on entry in the Thai passport and thus missing in the Swedish on exit!
She will enter Thailand with her Thai passport (she should still have half of TM.6 that she filled out on last exit, but if not she will have to fill out a new one out like you but entire form will be kept by immigration).  When she checks in to exit Thailand she will show Thai passport to airline along with Swedish passport to prove she does not need a visa.  She then fills out a new TM.6 to present to immigration and they will give half back to her for her next entry into Thailand.

So she uses the Thai passport for Thailand, with 'visa' being her Swedish passport.  

At the Swedish end she uses Swedish passport.

I have Thai-australian citizenship, and travel often in and out of both countries, and I ALWAYS do this:

Entering Thailand, use thai passport. Use arrival card that has been stapled in thai passport when you last left. If you have it in an expired Thai passport, get a new one and show BOTH new and old thai passports to immigration.

Leaving Thailand: leave on valid Thai passport. I recommend AGAINST showing foreign passport as "evidence" of a visa. Why? Cause many immigration people still think dual nationality is illegal (it is not though). Don't confuse the matter by showing two passports here. Plus they don't care if you have a visa for where you are going as it is the airlines responsobility to check if you will be allowed to enter the country of your destination.

Entering and leaving Sweden/EU/any other western country:

Show you Swedish passport.

I tend to agree with Samran here.Do not show any other passport to Thai Immigration-they cant SEE it.A nice shiney,pref.new Red Thai One will keep them happy because its (to them)the only passport in the world that matters.A Thai National even with duel nationality can easily deal with their own people when it comes to conflict,we (nationals of other countries-never phut farangs) suffer the "angst"

Why give them a headache-Mai mee. :cool:

Thanks a lot for all replies!

However if I she leaves Sweden with her Swedish EU passport, at checking they will look at the ticket and if it is a confirmed 3 months ticket, and no changes allowed, she will be informed that a Thai visa is required!?

In the worst case she might be denied to travel?

If it is an open ticket it might work however.

akesjo

However if I she leaves Sweden with her Swedish EU passport, at checking they will look at the ticket and if it is a confirmed 3 months ticket, and no changes allowed, she will be informed that a Thai visa is required!?
When that happens she shows them her Thai Passport which proves she does not need a visa; just as she shows here Swedish Passport to airline people here in Thailand to prove she does not need a visa when going from Thailand to Sweden.

http://www.thaiembassy.se/visa.htm

Tourist Visa :

Issued for 60 days. Another 30 days may be granted by Immigration Division, Bangkok, Thailand. Applicant is not permitted to engage in any occupation or employment.

Application fee : SEK 80 per entry and person

The same as about 400 baht

you can also apply by the web and print out an application and send to the embassy

http://www.thaiembassy.se/Forms/Visa%20app...tion%20form.pdf

much easier and more reliable.

Brgds Goofy ::o: