East Hotel And Overall Trip News

caanders

Hello,

Today is Tuesday, April 10, 2012 and I am currently in Yangon and enjoying myself immensely!!!!

I'm a solo, female traveler and this is my second time to Yangon. I was also here in July 2010.

First and foremost I would like to highly recommend the East Hotel in Central Yangon. This hotel is very centrally located (across from Traders Hotel) and walking distance from just about everywhere. I wrote an e-mail directly to the hotel reservation desk (reservation@... or thantzin@...) and received an excellent rate of US$45 per night which is a very low rate and after I arrived I was even more impressed by the low rate because of what I discovered --- a true jewel of a hotel! I think you can also do the booking on Agoda, but it is more expensive. The only advantage of Agoda is -- you could pay with your credit card. Since I booked directly through the hotel, I had to bring cash and pay upon arrival. I'm staying eight nights here! Their website is: http://www.east.com.mm

The room I have is of adequate size and the bed and bedding is very very comfortable . . . four nice pillows and the bedding is very clean and white. The air conditioning is heavenly and makes NO noise at all! It works very very well! My room has an iron and ironing board and they said they can supply a hair dryer if needed (although I brought my own.)

Bottled drinking water is free . . . all you can drink with a supply on various floors -- you can just help yourself to the bottles whenever you need some rehydration. There are not refrigerators in the rooms. There are useful English telephone directories in each room and I have found that useful.

They have laundry service, but I haven't used it because it seems to be very expensive. Each room has a telephone and closet. They clean daily and put out new linens, towels, etc.

On the downside, the water in the bathroom doesn't get very warm and so my showers have been quite cool! There is no safe in the room, but they have one at reception to put your valuables. Each room does have a fire extinguisher.

The breakfast is very good and they have a large selection of foods to order.

My room is nicely decorated and I especially love the free Wi-fi. I have a notebook computer, but the hotel also has a desktop computer in the lobby that can be used by guests. Also, the TV is large and flat screened with about 5 excellent English channels --- CNN, HBO, FOX, etc. I've really enjoyed the movie channels.

Anyway -- it has been wonderful staying here so far and I still have four more nights!!

A few of my trip highlights:

1. Visiting the Jewish Synagogue - I'm not Jewish, but loved the history of that place. Met a man there named Moses and he told me all about the history.

2. Visiting the Armenian church --- only two services a month, but if you want to see inside, just go around the side of the church and the family living near the gate will let you in.

3. Having lunch at the Strand Hotel.

4. Enjoying ice cream at the 50th Street Cafe and Bar

5. Visiting Aung San Suu Kyi's house (well, the outside anyway)

6. Having two lovely Italian meals at Cafe Dibar which is very near Aung San Suu Kyi's house and very near the American Embassy

7. Visiting the NLD - National League for Democracy headquarters and seeing a lot of supporters in action -- hoping to catch a glimpse of Aung San Suu Kyi --- but no luck on that account.

8. Staying here at East Hotel has been a highlight too.

9. Visiting Shwedagon Pagoda -- WOW!!!!

10. Visiting St. Mary's Cathedral

11. Visiting the Sri Kali Hindu Temple

12. Shopping in the Scott Market (Bogyoke Market)

13. Dinner at the top of Sakura Tower --- watching the sunset - stunning views of the city and the Shwedagon Pagoda! Food was average.

Honestly there are surprises around every corner . . . and there is so much more to discover! Tomorrow I'm going to get up early with breakfast at the Park Royal Hotel and then hop on the Yangon Circle train . . . should be interesting . . . I've heard it will take about two hours.

One of my favorite things to do is simply meander down the streets taking photos, etc. At most of the places I've visited, I talk to people and they are very very friendly! I've learned a lot of history and interesting facts as I've chatted with various folks along the way! There is such diversity of here of religions and peoples . . . a very lovely place indeed!!! Exploring here is wonderful!!!

Starting on Thursday of this week, we'll be fully immersed in the water festival . . . for the local new year celebrations which are supposed to last about five days!!!! But, I'm leaving on Saturday to go to Thailand . . . to enjoy more water water water!

Best to all!

Edited by tombkk
: Email addresses have been obscured to protect the innocent from webbots and spams.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...