International School In Ubon Rachatani

blossombkk

Hi, I think if I post it in this forum maybewill get more results.

I was searching Ubon Rachatani for future settling in this forum. Didn't get any info re schools. A guy I met said this was the best town in Thailand. Have 2 children. Is there any International school there for primary and secondary grades? If not, what do farangs do as far as education for children?

I would greatly appreciate some info on that.

Thanks

My young bloke (educated in Australian public school for 4 years) is now attending the YES 2 school on the Ring road in Ubon. He is doing the summer course to bring his written thai up to scratch prior to the new school year starting. Very modern school with good facilities. According to the office staff the curriculm is taught in both Thai and english. Ive been impressed by the place so far. Hopefully this will be the norm for the future.

My young bloke (educated in Australian public school for 4 years) is now attending the YES 2 school on the Ring road in Ubon. He is doing the summer course to bring his written thai up to scratch prior to the new school year starting. Very modern school with good facilities. According to the office staff the curriculm is taught in both Thai and english. Ive been impressed by the place so far. Hopefully this will be the norm for the future.

Is there an English curriculum as in one language only? My daughter is having huge difficulty in Thai as is.

Assumption College.

500 Chayangkool Road, Ubon Ratchathani, 34000

045-284-444 www.acu.ac.th

Next door Tesco's cowboy.gif

You mean they have elementary school in the college???

Not sure about starting age but our boy goes there and my mates daughter went there l believe from early-ish years. She now goes to YES (near home) school but is far more expensive. Suggest you Email Assump for info.

Edited by transam

Assumption College.

Not sure about starting age but our boy goes there and my mates daughter went there l believe from early-ish years. She now goes to YES (near home) school but is far more expensive. Suggest you Email Assump for info.

We'll do

Thanks a lot

Assumption College.

We'll do

Thanks a lot

Update,

The mrs says they have a nursery, so kids can start at any age. cowboy.gif

Is there an English curriculum as in one language only? My daughter is having huge difficulty in Thai as is.

Im pretty sure that they teach in both thai and english. When we arrived back in Thailand in Dec we had the young bloke attending classes in Khemarat on weekends with a teacher from the govt school there. He didnt really learn much in 3 months of these lesson. Now just 2 weeks into the summer course his written thai is flying along well. I have a lot of confidence that he will pick it up quickly and therefore continue on with his schooling come start of the school year.

A guy I met said this was the best town in Thailand.

Did he give you any reasons for it being the best city in Thailand?

I live there and I dont think its the best city in Thailand for anything. Im still trying to find the positives here.

I live there and I dont think its the best city in Thailand for anything. Im still trying to find the positives here.

That's the question I was going to raise again. I didn't ask him why it was the best of Thailand but he did mention the beauty and the nice people. He used to teach there in one of the Universities. U now start to doubt it!

It most probably isn't the best city in Thailand - who the hell can judge?

But I, and quite a few other expats, like living here; we apparently have found some positives, so we don't care about its status.

Elwood

But I, and quite a few other expats, like living here; we apparently have found some positives, so we don't care about its status.

Elwood

Positives such as...

Elwood

Positives such as...

What's the point? You don't like the place, I do; me telling you what is good about it won't change your mind will it? In the same way, you going on about the negatives won't make me pack my bags and move.

What's the point? You don't like the place, I do; me telling you what is good about it won't change your mind will it? In the same way, you going on about the negatives won't make me pack my bags and move.

What's the point? How about "it's nice to be nice".

It was a genuine question as I would like to find things to enjoy here. Of course if you tell me what you like about Ubon it will give me something to go on, I just need some local knowledge.

Even the Wikitravel page says there is not much to do in Ubon and Im struggling to find anything without sike advice feom people who know it much better than I do.

A Filipino teacher told me 7th Day Adventists are planning a new international school. Anyone else heard anything about that? I believe their schools in BKK are supposed to be good.

I've heard pretty good things about YES when asking parents. Very few good reports about Assumption.

Edited by ubonrthai

Elwood

Positives such as...

Lots of good food - in lots of restaurants

Plenty cold beer everywhere

Moon/Mun river - Mekong river

Kong Chiam - Pha Thaem

Ratchathani Asoke

Huai Luang waterfall

Sirindorn dam

Beautiful National parks all along the border areas

Genuine nice people

Lots of nice farangs

Airport with direct flights to Bkk, Chiang Mai, Phuket

Train station with everyday trains to Bkk, and all cities in between

Lots of new developments which increases the options for things to see and do

Laos and Cambodia "nearby"

I'll have a break now! coffee1.gif

correct me if im wrong but the only true "international" school in the whole of Issan is in Khao Yai and the fees there are probably not far off what you'd pay in the West. I like ubon a lot but i worry about the quality of educaton there

On the campus of Narinukul high school, they started an International school a couple of years ago, the government wanted to put international schools near the border areas of other countries.

They have 4 foreign teachers and 1 Thai teacher. Each class (This year M1 and M2) has about 15 students. Each classroom is A.C. and loaded with computer equipment and resource materials. Brand new classroom furniture.

Down the hall ( I teach M4 in the Gov't school) My classroom will have 3 or 4 broken fans, old broken down desks and chairs and 50 students in each class.

Edited by mike123ca

Positives such as...

Lots of good food - in lots of restaurants

Plenty cold beer everywhere

Moon/Mun river - Mekong river

Kong Chiam - Pha Thaem

Ratchathani Asoke

Huai Luang waterfall

Sirindorn dam

Beautiful National parks all along the border areas

Genuine nice people

Lots of nice farangs

Airport with direct flights to Bkk, Chiang Mai, Phuket

Train station with everyday trains to Bkk, and all cities in between

Lots of new developments which increases the options for things to see and do

Laos and Cambodia "nearby"

Exactly. So there's pretty much nothing fun to do in Ubon city right now.

coffee1.gif

think we have a difference in opinion in what an international school is. new furniture and some foreign teachers doesnt sound particularly Harrow-ish.

coffee1.gif

think we have a difference in opinion in what an international school is. new furniture and some foreign teachers doesnt sound particularly Harrow-ish.

True.... I do think that they applied for foreign accreditation and they are using an English curriculum. The truth be told their classes have resources far superior compared to my government classes. I think the biggest difference is that the class size is very small when compared with the regular government program.

coffee1.gif

coffee1.gif

True.... I do think that they applied for foreign accreditation and they are using an English curriculum. The truth be told their classes have resources far superior compared to my government classes. I think the biggest difference is that the class size is very small when compared with the regular government program.

By government you mean Thai government? and what is a small class size? is it like 10 or 15 and up?

Yes, I work in the Thai govt school. Class size for middle school ( grades 7,8 and 9) are 59 students per class. Last school term they reduced the size of the high school class (grades 10,11 and 12) from 59 to 50 students a class.

I don't know the class size limit of the international program, I only see between 10 to 15 students a class.

Yes, I work in the Thai govt school. Class size for middle school ( grades 7,8 and 9) are 59 students per class. Last school term they reduced the size of the high school class (grades 10,11 and 12) from 59 to 50 students a class.

I don't know the class size limit of the international program, I only see between 10 to 15 students a class.

50 or 59 kids per class. that's owefull. I'll definitely not send my kids there.