BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
loong

Tomatoes That Grow Well Here

End of the season for my heirlooms.

It was an unusually good one because of the dry weather we are having.

Picture%2520804_resize.jpg

• Like 1

Is this link still active?

I'm a newbie on this..... Looking for ideas to grow tomatoes in Chiang Mai......

thanks

Black Russians did well for me too, very tasty.

This year I planted Cherry Tomatoes because they are plentiful and not bothered by the heat.

A couple of years ago I went to India & found a very good hybrid.

Plants not too tall, a lot of fruit, sweet and easy to grow.

Later on; from dropped fruit, seedlings started coming up almost as good as the parents.Unusual for hybrids.

I am now growing this open pollinated variety.

For exotics, I only have "big boy tomato" , just flowering now.

http://www.burpee.co...prod000976.html

regards

I have been growing big boys and beefsteak tomatoes for the last 2 years. here is a photo taken last year.

I have made a lot of mistakes and learning a lot from reading on line and trial and error.

Right now, I have about a dozen plants that have been bearing fruit since about Feb 1. all green but, ranging in size from marble sized to pool ball sized.

9q8eg1.jpg

Hi Keith, I just showed your pix to the missus and she wants to know what area your in to grow tom plants like that?

We just moved into our house near Pattaya and I am eager to get my plants on the go.

Poking around and found this thread. Thought I'd mention that my order of the "tropical hot/humid tomato seed collection" arrived yesterday:

http://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-seeds-tropical-hot-humid-collection.html

They threw in a couple of additional varieties based on my order comment -- "Florida Pink" amd "Tropic." Other varieties in the package include Arkansas Marvel, Homestead 24, Atkinson, Chocolate Stripes, Mortgage Lifter/Radiator Charlie's, Beam's Yellow Pear, Hawaiian Currant, and Anahu.

We started some seeds today (Aug 14)... Four seeds from each package -- 40 (potential) plants total. Started about half those in worm cast, and the other half in soil from the garden shop that was microwaved to kill anything in it, and then mixed with worm cast. Waiting to see how many of which will germinate. No idea, of course, but the seeds for the yellow heirlooms I brought a few years ago have never produced much of anything.

Anyway, the collection of seeds isn't exactly cheap, but nor do I think it cost prohibitive. Took 2-3 weeks to arrive by mail. No customs duties imposed.

So there ya go...

Black Russians did well for me too, very tasty.

This year I planted Cherry Tomatoes because they are plentiful and not bothered by the heat.

A couple of years ago I went to India & found a very good hybrid.

Plants not too tall, a lot of fruit, sweet and easy to grow.

Later on; from dropped fruit, seedlings started coming up almost as good as the parents.Unusual for hybrids.

I am now growing this open pollinated variety.

For exotics, I only have "big boy tomato" , just flowering now.

http://www.burpee.co...prod000976.html

regards

I have been growing big boys and beefsteak tomatoes for the last 2 years. here is a photo taken last year.

I have made a lot of mistakes and learning a lot from reading on line and trial and error.

Right now, I have about a dozen plants that have been bearing fruit since about Feb 1. all green but, ranging in size from marble sized to pool ball sized.

9q8eg1.jpg

Hi Keith, I just showed your pix to the missus and she wants to know what area your in to grow tom plants like that?

We just moved into our house near Pattaya and I am eager to get my plants on the go.

post-137554-0-28826900-1385695358_thumb.

here are photos taken today 11/29/2013 We live in Phetchabun Province. I started with 27 seedlings transplanted to the ground and have 17 that are now flowering and producing fruit. It's been a lot of trial and error though. The fruit has only been developing for a couple weeks now but have 100+ ranging from marble sized to the biggest on that is baseball sized and still have a dozen or so flowers on each plant.

post-137554-0-44916200-1385695734_thumb.post-137554-0-08982900-1385695759_thumb.post-137554-0-28159400-1385695781_thumb.post-137554-0-45802500-1385695802_thumb.post-137554-0-76053800-1385695824_thumb.

• Like 1

Poking around and found this thread. Thought I'd mention that my order of the "tropical hot/humid tomato seed collection" arrived yesterday:

http://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-seeds-tropical-hot-humid-collection.html

They threw in a couple of additional varieties based on my order comment -- "Florida Pink" amd "Tropic." Other varieties in the package include Arkansas Marvel, Homestead 24, Atkinson, Chocolate Stripes, Mortgage Lifter/Radiator Charlie's, Beam's Yellow Pear, Hawaiian Currant, and Anahu.

We started some seeds today (Aug 14)... Four seeds from each package -- 40 (potential) plants total. Started about half those in worm cast, and the other half in soil from the garden shop that was microwaved to kill anything in it, and then mixed with worm cast. Waiting to see how many of which will germinate. No idea, of course, but the seeds for the yellow heirlooms I brought a few years ago have never produced much of anything.

Anyway, the collection of seeds isn't exactly cheap, but nor do I think it cost prohibitive. Took 2-3 weeks to arrive by mail. No customs duties imposed.

So there ya go...

May I ask, how you got on with this? What about the Atkinson? Any success in growth and taste?

photo today 12/16/13

my first tomato is about ripe. I put a Singha can in the photo to give it persective.

post-137554-0-57436700-1387186062_thumb.

post-137554-0-46446900-1387186083_thumb.

post-137554-0-69870300-1387186114_thumb.

I only have the small egg-shaped Thai toms fruiting at the moment. Problem is that they are mostly refusing to ripen, loads of fruit, but they are nearly all white. I had 6 of them that had more than a tinge of colour in a couple of cheese sandwiches today and they were delicious. Much more tasty that any toms of this sort that I have bought in the shops.

It may be because of the high daytime temperatures, but if anyone has any suggestions to push the ripening process along, I would be grateful.

I only have the small egg-shaped Thai toms fruiting at the moment. Problem is that they are mostly refusing to ripen, loads of fruit, but they are nearly all white. I had 6 of them that had more than a tinge of colour in a couple of cheese sandwiches today and they were delicious. Much more tasty that any toms of this sort that I have bought in the shops.

It may be because of the high daytime temperatures, but if anyone has any suggestions to push the ripening process along, I would be grateful.

When my plants are developed, I change to a fertilizer that is higher in phosphates that nitrogen. seems to work for me.

When my plants are developed, I change to a fertilizer that is higher in phosphates that nitrogen. seems to work for me.

Can you recommend an easily available fertiliser that gives an immediate phosphate boost please?

Edited by loong

Some of this year's crop

Picture%2520941.jpg

Picture%2520935.jpg

Picture%2520959.jpg

Picture%2520934.jpg

Picture%2520961.jpg

Picture%2520954.jpg

Picture%2520956.jpg

when did you start your seeds? your tomatoes look great. I have only been able to pick a dozen fo far this season, 1 or 2 a day for the last week. the rest are still green. I started my seeds in mid august but, the seeding tray was overturned accidently and I had to restart my seeds again the first few days in September and transplanted them to the ground in mid October. I also wonder if the temperatures in the 50's at night, the last week or so, has effected the ripening.

Planted in trays late Aug. or early Sept; not really sure now.

Put them in the ground around Oct 1st.

Swimming in fruit now.

Best regards.