So I Will Stop 20Th April 2012

Boater

after nearly 15 years of smoking , with some stop gaps in between, i have been advised by my dosctor i MUST quit smoking or it will kill me !...

i smoke nearly 20-25 a day , down from 60 in Thailand, but it is time to stop ( i am only 29 ! )

i am booked into a smoking clinic on the 20th at 8am , the NHS in the UK will give me a dedicated nurse with all the treatements needed to stop ........

not to sure what to expect, i hope i can quit ,

wish me luck , i need it !

I was a pack a day man but had an epiphany when my daughter was about 4 ( she's now 8 ). She came home from school, sat on my lap and showed me a picture she'd drawn in class and out of the blue kissed me and said " I love you so much daddy" My wife was watching this from the doorway. She walked over, hugged both of us and said "We both do;"

I looked at myself and thought what a selfish, low piece of shit I was for killing myself by smoking when these people cared for me so much and how much I adored them.

Haven't had a smoke since.

Went cold turkey. No side effects at all and the craving consisted of a mild sort of thing like when you're sitting at home of an evening and think to yourself "Hmm I quite fancy a pizza" but aren't going to climb the walls to get one.

im 44 and smoked 30 a day for the last 25years,thought i would quit when the price of smokes went too high,never did,now live in thailand and the cigs are so cheap,so i couldn't even justify quitting because of price.

I tried many different methods,cold turkey,meds from the doctors,cutting down,patches anything and everything,nothing worked...until i realized that the only satisfaction i got from smoking was the next smoke(scratching the itch),i thought i enjoyed the taste,i thought it kept me from getting bored,made me happy,but once i realized that the cigs were a drug(nicotine) and i was a drug addict,controlled by the nicotine,it was easier to quit,

My mental approach to them changed i no longer felt like i was giving something up,but escaping the clutches of an evil drug,my withdrawal pangs were almost non existant because with each little withdrawal i got i felt like i was conquering a demon and it made me stronger.Its only been a few months,but i have no interest in putting that filthy drug back in my body,i have no withdrawal symptoms,sometimes a little empty feeling but that goes pretty fast.

One side affect i do have is i have cut down on my drinking as well,all the times i would go outside for a cigarette and grab a beer are gone,and its not because drinking makes me want to smoke,i think it was the other way around smoking made me want to drink

• Like 2

Like jingjoe8 and mca, I think everyone needs an epiphany at some point in order to quit. A moment of truth if you will.

If you are able to get your hands on it, please get a book called the Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Alan Carr. Others have talked about it on this forum under the thread titled "The book that helped me quit smoking" or something like that. It has helped many, many people including myself.

If you (or anyone else who wants it) are unable to find a copy, just let send me your email address in a personal message and I'll email you the ebook. I haven't smoked for a long time despite being 1-2 pack a day smoker and it's all thanks to this book. It's full of information so it will educate you and answer any questions that might come up. It will explain to know just why you are addicted which will help you understand your addiction. It will then give you steps that you can take and thinking patterns that will help you break out of this. It's also very easy to read, not too much science-y stuff.

All the best mate. You can do it. smile.png

Edited by Neha

• 3 weeks later...

I was a pack a day man but had an epiphany when my daughter was about 4 ( she's now 8 ). She came home from school, sat on my lap and showed me a picture she'd drawn in class and out of the blue kissed me and said " I love you so much daddy" My wife was watching this from the doorway. She walked over, hugged both of us and said "We both do;"

I looked at myself and thought what a selfish, low piece of shit I was for killing myself by smoking when these people cared for me so much and how much I adored them.

Haven't had a smoke since.

Went cold turkey. No side effects at all and the craving consisted of a mild sort of thing like when you're sitting at home of an evening and think to yourself "Hmm I quite fancy a pizza" but aren't going to climb the walls to get one.

Interesting! but think of value for value. I am a really heavy smoker in my later 60's and encouraged by my tax grabbing government since I was about 12. Today (here in Thailand) I went to an open air restaurant and smoked. The person at the next table objected (quite rightly) to the smell I objected (quite rightly) to him buying whiskey for the waitress who was 16 years old and who he obviously had ideas of getting drunk and having his way with her. I suggested that we call the police and that i would pay a 2,000 baht fine and he would go to prison for corrupting a minor. He rejected my offer! Which is worse, he trying to have sex with a minor or my smoking? I say live and let live if you have problems with smoking move away and if i have problems with perverts I should move away!

• 2 weeks later...

any reason for choosing Hitler's birthday as a date?

and the goodwin award goes to...

:-)

Strange stuff you know (Hitler's birthday).

Boater, how is it going?

its going ok, still not smoked .. but still have the urges sometimes

I stopped 21st April, 2011.

I gained 11 Kg within the next 4 months!

Ridicules!

I'm fuc_king hungry all the time.

So now I'm fat and lazy, and start wonder if it was worth quit smoking.

lol

If I die in a traffic accident, I will blame all the anti-smokers in the world.

lol

Anyhow,

When I have the urge, I say out load "God I would looooooove a cig now".

Turns out one of my colleagues do the same, and has done that for years.

It actually helps, because it makes you think about if want to light up one or not, and force you to think about whether you you want a cig or not.

Your choice will always be, I'm not going to start right now.

Maybe later (or other good excuses for delaying it).

Try it, say out loud, "God!!!! I really would like a cig right now!"

After about 10-15 seconds, it is over.

Try it.

;-)

• 1 month later...

I stopped 3 times in my life. All three times I enjoyed being a non-smoker. All three times I used any excuse that allowed me to start again, not sure why? Now I am a non-smoker, don't need an excuse to start because I am in my 50's and have been smoke free for four years. I have really enjoyed walking by others who are addicted to the nasty smelly habbit.

I can go anywhere and no worry about the smell or having to go stand by an ashtray in front of doors while others who are not addicts stare at me as

they go by. I don't have to wash my face 20 times a day anymore or smell my nasty smelling fingers.

I really do feel sorry for those that are to weak to quit, because I remember that helpless feeling the first couple of weeks and months. It was total tourment that something could have so much control over me. I laugh everytime I hear someone tell me that they like smoking and could quit anytime.

I would like to say goodluck, but it isn't luck that will help you, it is you.... realizing that your dick will stop functioning properly no matter what anyone tells you. It is you realizing your lungs will keep you from wanting to do anything for that matter. It is your teeth falling out or becoming very sensitive or both. Your skin becomes hard and scalely.

I quit smoking for good late, but I still have my teeth, they aren't in great condition but they are functional. Everyone I know including my ex wife and her husband have lost their teeth...that includes my parents.

I guess the only way at explain it is, your doing the same thing to your body as the Thai's are doing to the canal's

I guess you now know how I feel about smoking...no, I am not bragging, I am telling you this because I sat down and wrote all this down. removed all the ashtrays, stopped doing the things that made me want a smoke, and at nicorette gum the minute I woke up so I could fight that morning urge. Being proactive about chewing that nasty gum until I felt dizzy and wanted to vomit, saved me from being an addict.

Take care.

• 3 weeks later...

any reason for choosing Hitler's birthday as a date?

and the goodwin award goes to...

:-)

Strange stuff you know (Hitler's birthday).

Boater, how is it going?

the date is difficult to ignore for anyone who has been living in Germany - it is the preferred date for right-wing extremist celebrations.

I'm almost 2 weeks into my quitting smoking, just reaching the stage where i feel like i've smoked a pack of fags yesterday and coughing up 'lung butter' hehe - all that cr@p i was putting into my lungs gotta come out sooner or later i guess :)

Its nice i can breath again, i can taste my coffee and i can smell things again (Bangkok smells err... great!!!)

• 1 year later...