Asian-Style Mansion On Sukhumvit Soi 38

OliverKlozerof

You know Sukhumvit Soi 38, right next to Thong Lo BTS station? In the evening there are all the carts and shops selling food.... Well, just beyond that, on the right walking into the soi, there's a big Asian-style mansion/fortress looking place. A few years ago I saw it being built when I would go eat at the stalls in the evening. There's a huge tree that was kept and they went to the extent of carving out the earth and making a room around the base of the tree. There's a tremendous gate and they planted tall, skinny plants that have now all grown in as a fortress like fence around the whole thing. There's even a 'lookout' building inside and the main building looks like an Asian castle.

Well, having lived in Japan 10 years (in the '90s), it all looked quite Japanese to me.

However, a couple weeks ago I was walking on the street with a friend...we walked into the 'Face' restaurant/bar just across on the left to have a look around. My friend asked the farang at reception if he knew anything about the 'mansion.' He said he thought it belonged to the owner (president?) of GMM Grammy media conglomerate (Paiboon Damrongchaitham, President Chairman; Boosaba Daorueng, CEO), but the place was usually occupied only by maids/security guards.

Seems like a rather foreboding place. Anyone know any thing about it?

--O

Yes, it is Khun Paiboon's house. Check out the aerial view on Google.

Aerial view is impressive. Dude must have some serious dough. I wonder what the underground 'tree' room is used for? So he's Chinese-Thai? And proud of his Chinese ancestry, therefore the style?

Yes that is quite impressive and actually there are a lot of mansions on that soi and the one adjacent to it. Right next to my condo there is a huge complex with the garage/carriage house looking bigger than most houses around. I never really see anyone coming in and out of it much or any activities...just maids and outside workers. I think they are looking in my window all the time which is cool...haha

Have you seen the one that's a small replica of the US White House? I had a friend who kept a small room by the pool near the front of the complex. He said the owner had a thing about the US, so built it.

Sounds very tasteful! The White House reproduced in cinder block painted white.

• 7 years later...
On 4/16/2012 at 5:51 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Have you seen the one that's a small replica of the US White House? I had a friend who kept a small room by the pool near the front of the complex. He said the owner had a thing about the US, so built it.

Is that the very large, white domed place you get a brief glimpse of from the Skytrain as it pulls into Thong Lo going from Ekkamai?  I've always thought it was some kind of private Thai "Gentleman's Club"

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, seafarer74 said:

I’m currently sitting in the Marriott close by and saw this impressive structure from above and was curious what it was. Google brought me to this forum so thanks for the answer. 

D40E8C6E-9DE8-4131-BC05-6249FDC0BA7A.jpeg

Soon to have a condo built just to the left as you look at the picture, you can see the ritta sign. 

And also another condo soon to be  built just across the road from it, as well as two that are already in construction just out of picture on the right hand side. 

A once lovely road being destroyed.