Gold Chains Etc.

SDH

So since I've been living in Thailand which is about 3 years or so the gold "Baht" mentality has driven me crazy.

I don't understand the need to heap that crap around your neck and stand out like a sign saying "rob me please" so of course after the constant grinding whilst driving or walking past the GOLD SHOPS you eventually break down and buy 5 or 10 Baht worth. So what happens next is the Thai walks in the washroom in a busy Bangkok bus station and is promptly relieved of the wallet from inside a bag, I attribute this directly to the stupid a-s gold chain and bracelet advertising I've got money.

What I'm asking is this....If you've got money in the bank and access to it with 3 ATM cards and all the other crap you can want, why wear the chains and bracelets etc. :o

I think i read once, somewhere, that initially the personal investment of ones gold jewellery was brought on by peoples mistrust of leaving your wealth in the hands of the banks... obviously im talking about a while ago now.... maybe its just a pyscological thing that lives on - either way, its still asking to be robbed

I think i read once, somewhere, that initially the personal investment of ones gold jewellery was brought on by peoples mistrust of leaving your wealth in the hands of the banks... obviously im talking about a while ago now.... maybe its just a pyscological thing that lives on - either way, its still asking to be robbed

There is an animal called a "pack rat" that lives in the western US. It hordes food and small objects...usually small shiny objects. It has a fairly primitive brain. It is my belief that people who really like gold have a part of their brain that is primitive like the pack rat so when they see gold they sort of loose their rationality and a very primitive state of mind takes over...something like, "ooooh....shiny.....pretty....I want."

A pack rat? I put gold up for sale on the for sale board and got laughed at 6 months ago! Sold a small amount to a German at spot price that was about £230 at that time and put some onto Ebay but Goodness me am I so glad that most of it is still here with me!

When it goes to £300 an ounce after the new year I might sell some more. Anybody want some silver?

Why is it going up? The price of oil has a lot to do with it but buying at £217 and selling at todays prices I don't really care why it's gone up.

Thai's are not keen on Sovereigns but they do know that 22K gold is 92%!

So since I've been living in Thailand which is about 3 years or so the gold "Baht" mentality has driven me crazy.

I don't understand the need to heap that crap around your neck and stand out like a sign saying "rob me please" so of course after the constant grinding whilst driving or walking past the GOLD SHOPS you eventually break down and buy 5 or 10 Baht worth. So what happens next is the Thai walks in the washroom in a busy Bangkok bus station and is promptly relieved of the wallet from inside a bag, I attribute this directly to the stupid a-s gold chain and bracelet advertising I've got money.

What I'm asking is this....If you've got money in the bank and access to it with 3 ATM cards and all the other crap you can want, why wear the chains and bracelets etc. :o

I'm not sure how much it matters if you're obviously foreign.

I think if you look back at how much the Baht depreciated relative to other currencies in 1997(?), it'll help explain why gold might be an appealing savings option. It dropped by about half versus the US dollar and I'm sure similarly against other currencies. Try living through that and feeling good about money in the bank.

That doesn't explain the wearing part, but if you have the gold, is it safer leaving it at home all day or carrying it with you? Depends on your neighbors and where you normally go during the day.

I also know from experience that if my girlfriend is wearing a nice necklace and bracelet she is treated differently than when she doesn't. Not everywhere and by everyone obviously, but enough that I've noticed it. Among strangers, there are very few ways to instantly communicate what kind of status you have other than what you're wearing. In Thailand, gold is much less expensive than buying lots of nice clothes, and more practical since you can always pawn or sell it. Overall I think the pluses far outweigh the rare instances that you'll have problems if you're otherwise careful.

My girlfriend has cheap jewelry to wear when security may be an issue, so she realizes discretion makes sense wherever you are. I always carry a fat dummy wallet in my back pocket so there's a typical target and then carry one of those thin money clip things with space for only 2 or 3 cards. And I keep the spending money in a small wad all by itself.

Edited by Carmine6

I think theres nothing wrong with the Thai ladys wearing gold but have to use a bit of comon sence when and where they wear it.

All ladys like to wear jewelry no matter where you live

As for getting robbed at a busy bus station most people that can afford or wear 5 or 10 bht of gold dont catch buses in Thailand

But I do think that it has become alot more dangerous the last couple of years to wear large amounts. We have lived in many places in Thailand and the missus has always worn large amounts of gold. But lately I have notice when walking she creates a bit of attention and have told her tone it down a bit. I just buy her diamonds instead

A single 1bht chain will due - I think anything else is excessive and a burden on your neck!

I'm with you on this one. A one baht chain announces that I am not destitute, but doesn't make me more of a target for robbery than just being farang does. It certainly doesn't make me look wealthy. Very often that one chain is tucked under my clothing to be invisible, too.

I think theres nothing wrong with the Thai ladys wearing gold but have to use a bit of comon sence when and where they wear it.

As for getting robbed at a busy bus station most people that can afford or wear 5 or 10 bht of gold dont catch buses in Thailand

But I do think that it has become alot more dangerous the last couple of years to wear large amounts. We have lived in many places in Thailand and the missus has always worn large amounts of gold. But lately I have notice when walking she creates a bit of attention and have told her  tone it down a bit. I just buy her diamonds instead

:o Well well well,

" As for getting robbed at a busy bus station most people that can afford or wear 5 or 10 bht of gold dont catch buses in Thailand "

I this case they do and I'm not sure why the bus but that's what happened and I like you have attempted the tone down to no avail.

But I do think that it has become alot more dangerous the last couple of years to wear large amounts. We have lived in many places in Thailand and the missus has always worn large amounts of gold. But lately I have notice when walking she creates a bit of attention and have told her  tone it down a bit. I just buy her diamonds instead

" As for getting robbed at a busy bus station most people that can afford or wear 5 or 10 bht of gold dont catch buses in Thailand "

I this case they do and I'm not sure why the bus but that's what happened and I like you have attempted the tone down to no avail.

I am not saying it didn,t happen but catching a bus with that much gold is not a smart thing to do

What I ment with buying diamonds is the wife can wear it and it just looks like all the other cheap jewerly around as I use to buy her a 1 bht of gold every birthday and x mas but have stoped now as it was getting out of hand

Saw an item on BBC Biz news. China & India are experiencing a lot of new found wealth & are sucking up all the gold. Also it said something about the Dollar being at a good rate!!

Gold was this price 22 years ago and they think demand now will continue & the prices will keep going up.

There you go !!

Saw an item on BBC Biz news. China & India are experiencing a lot of new found wealth & are sucking up all the gold. Also it said something about the Dollar being at a good rate!!

Gold was this price 22 years ago and they think demand now will continue & the prices will keep going up.

There you go !!

9 months ago, my girl and I went to trade up the jewelry I bought her last year. I was astonished that even though the chain was broken and the bracelet was all bent up, I received about what I had paid. Now it would have been maybe 15% higher.

Also interesting is that while I'm surprised at some of the things she'll keep for sentimental reasons, she had little attachment to the jewelry. I didn't realize it was even possible to do this until she asked the shop how much it was worth.

Edited by Carmine6

I am not saying it didn,t happen but catching a bus with that much gold is not a smart thing to do

What I ment with buying diamonds is the wife can wear it and it just looks like all the other cheap jewerly around as I use to buy her a 1 bht of gold every birthday and x mas but have stoped now as it was getting out of hand

:D I agree with you man....First i didn't even want to buy the gold baht but then it was easier than put up with the constant "oh look it's a gold shop" Now it's a battle always, hopefully now the reality has hit home! Maybe time to buy buffalo instead.......

I've lived in Thailand for on and off five years and I've never experience petty crime like stealing gold.

Does it happen a lot?  Where?  Then, when I go out looking like Mr T's long lost albino twin brother I know where to avoid

The only stealing I've come across is when my missus "borrows" my wedding ring to pawn when I won't lend her money. As Carmine6 says there's no sentiment; "but it's only gold" :o

Gold is gold to Thai's and showing the gold is why they buy it - much the same as having the latest mobile (cellphone for the colonials) so if you have it you flaunt it and there are very few Thai's that will not do so.

If you can afford 10 Baht worth of gold you wear it to show that you can - if you can afford 100Baht you save it as paper in the banking system.

Having said that - if anybody wants to buy Brit Sov's at spot +2% just give me a shout - New Year will see a £300 plus price!

Well..here gold is as good as money...to my suprise i might add.....

Pawning in 1 bath of gold here, gives you fairly close too full price back...so i can see why gold and the amount of it mathers....

As to personal preferences..i do not were gold....and when i see other "falangs" wereing heavy chains of gold i laught..but..hey thats just me.....

Why do i laugh...it looks like a cartoon image to me... lol

My wife on the other hand, well she likes gold and buys 1 new item of 1 bath every month.....my only suprise is where will she put the next piece of gold???????

A single 1bht chain will due - I think anything else is excessive and a burden on your neck!

I'm with you on this one. A one baht chain announces that I am not destitute, but doesn't make me more of a target for robbery than just being farang does. It certainly doesn't make me look wealthy. Very often that one chain is tucked under my clothing to be invisible, too.

Why do you need to announce that you are not destitute? :o

This is all very interesting.

When the g/f and I did the bit before marriage, which included a dowry, the amount I spent on 3 gold chains and 2 rings was by any standards, a lot (well, by my standards, in any case). She would not remove anything whilst travelling back after the event and on the bus a day later - a long journey - only reluctantly removed them at my insistence, then put them in her bag which stuck to her like glue!!!

When we met up with her friends and they were looking at the photos of the ceremony - which included a photo of two pots, one with the gold, the other money, all they were interested in was trying to find out how much money was in the pot!!!!

It's a status thing. It gets you better service in stores, that kind of thing. For someone like me who dresses for comfort rather than fashion that matters. I get the same effect here in the US by carrying an extremely expensive ($348) handbag made by Coach

It's a status thing. It gets you better service in stores, that kind of thing. For someone like me who dresses for comfort rather than fashion that matters. I get the same effect here in the US by carrying an extremely expensive ($348) handbag made by Coach

So you look destitute, except for the handbag?

Doesn't that make ppl suspicious :D