webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There seems to have been two quakes. The Nation actually reports this:

National Disaster Warning Center on Monday said a quake hit Thailand on Monday and the epicenter was in Phuket's Thalang district.

Acting director Burin Wetchbantoeng said that an earthquake of 4.3 on the Richter scale hit in Phuket at 4.44pm with epicenter at Thalang district, while another quake, a 5.4-magnitude, west coast of Indonesia’s Sumatra two minutes later. The quakes that happened just two minutues apart initially caused confusion that the tremor felt in Phuket was from a quake in Indonesia.

Local residents in Phuket ran out in panic out of houses, buildings and department stores when the tremor took place. Some described the tremor this time was heavier that last week.

I don't believe it.

The USGS reports on quakes all over the world, down to Richter 2.5. As of this moment, three and a half hours after the quake hit Sumatra, hey don't have any record of an earthquake in Thailand. http://earthquake.us...arthquakes/map/

In fact, Thailand has never had an earthquake large enough to make it onto the Historic World Earthquakes List maintained by USGS http://earthquake.us...cal_country.php.

Woody, you're going to have to eat humble pie! I live right on the 1st quakes epicentre close to The Heroines Monument inThalang, and can tell you it was quite scary. Tonight, our house house been rattled twice more. Just because there's never been an earthquake reported on Phuket before, doesn't mean it can't happen. And as for the USGS, I wouldn't trust anything on their site - at all. They didn't even pick-up on the Sumatra earthquake that happened just two minutes later until about 20 minutes after the event.

• Like 1

There seems to have been two quakes. The Nation actually reports this:

National Disaster Warning Center on Monday said a quake hit Thailand on Monday and the epicenter was in Phuket's Thalang district.

Acting director Burin Wetchbantoeng said that an earthquake of 4.3 on the Richter scale hit in Phuket at 4.44pm with epicenter at Thalang district, while another quake, a 5.4-magnitude, west coast of Indonesia’s Sumatra two minutes later. The quakes that happened just two minutues apart initially caused confusion that the tremor felt in Phuket was from a quake in Indonesia.

Local residents in Phuket ran out in panic out of houses, buildings and department stores when the tremor took place. Some described the tremor this time was heavier that last week.

I don't believe it.

The USGS reports on quakes all over the world, down to Richter 2.5. As of this moment, three and a half hours after the quake hit Sumatra, hey don't have any record of an earthquake in Thailand. http://earthquake.us...arthquakes/map/

In fact, Thailand has never had an earthquake large enough to make it onto the Historic World Earthquakes List maintained by USGS http://earthquake.us...cal_country.php.

For sure 100% the epicentre was here on Phuket!

for the person that said todays quake was not on tv... it was. channel 3 is the channel to watch. its the one with the 3 coloured logo and the number 3 up in the corner. also usually has crap thai soap operas playing constantly. there was a report on this channel today about 40 minutes after the 4.46pm quake. however the report only lasted about 20 minutes i think and then went back to crap soapies.

also i find it strange that nobody has mentioned this http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc00094sk#summary 4.2 quake that happened at about 8.30pm tonight as well. im in my room in patong and didn't feel it but my friend on bangla seems to think she did.

If you go to the USGS earthquake map and select the link to the real time map it has an option there to report an eartquake not shown on the map, perhaps someone who was there at the time could go onto the site and report the quake. http://earthquake.us...arthquakes/map/

I did that shortly after the 'shake'

So did I and they still haven't recognised it. Obviously Thailand has better equipment than the USGS

for the person that said todays quake was not on tv... it was. channel 3 is the channel to watch. its the one with the 3 coloured logo and the number 3 up in the corner. also usually has crap thai soap operas playing constantly. there was a report on this channel today about 40 minutes after the 4.46pm quake. however the report only lasted about 20 minutes i think and then went back to crap soapies.

also i find it strange that nobody has mentioned this http://earthquake.us...00094sk#summary 4.2 quake that happened at about 8.30pm tonight as well. im in my room in patong and didn't feel it but my friend on bangla seems to think she did.

I live right on the 1st epicentre in Thalang and can confirm the 8:30pm after shock ...and another about half hour ago.

There will be strong earthquake within this year which can create large tsunami. Three countries vast land will be wipe out with water.

and your source of this information nostradamus ?

Maybe someone at the TAT smoked all his stach in front of a police road check before making this announcement?

• Like 1

oh and one more thing. i find it odd that the NDWC messages are not sent in english as well as thai (2 minutes on google translate?) and that they don't seem to have a website to follow any situations occuring. i guess it makes little difference anyway if your not going to get the warning messages until its to late anyway due to the phone network overloading.

• Like 1

There will be strong earthquake within this year which can create large tsunami. Three countries vast land will be wipe out with water.

Maybe someone at the TAT smoked all his stach in front of a police road check before making this announcement?

Just a Troll trying to get attention

Just a Troll trying to get attention

I am a Malaysian and I don't need any attention. Among the three countries one is my ancestors country known as Sri Lanka. Once happened within this year then pray for the disasters of mother nature.

Nothing on tv yet? about the quake!

According to the mia luang they didn't even announce the previous tsunami warning on Thai TV - afraid to interrupt coverage of a royal funeral.

How dysfunctional is that?

Normal.... Thai Style !!! ;)

Rather thoughtless use of the word "Flood" in the title.

We are republishing stories, please don't blame us for headlines done by media we republish.

Cheers

Just an unfortunately worded headline from the Phuket Gazette. happened before, famously during WW2 when an English daily ran the headline "Allied Push Bottles Up Germans"

From the Seismology Department Thailand - Magnitude 4.3:

post-566-0-68767500-1334591554_thumb.jpg

Earthquake Reports: More here

North phuket - It was realy good to compare with a sonic boom from an airplane. One big boom and the windows were shaking it lasted 1 second not more then that. you could see rimpels in the pond and swimmingpool. I experienced the same in oakland one day. That was a 3,2 and we were at that moment 5 km from the epic centre of the quake. But it was the same sound and experience.

• Phuket - short and sharp, ground shaking...
  • Phuket Thailand - Light shaking indicated
  • Phuket - Massive shake...no more than 10 seconds...bigger than last week. Could be more local
  • Phuket - Only for a few seconds but a shake none the less.

Was there no warning...No one on "watch" sort of speak? Amazing Thailand!

We were ordered out of patong, I assume because of a tsunami warning - the only problem is the earthquake was on land so a bit difficult to form a tsunami!!!

Typical Thai over reaction, as the officials were informed that there was no need to issue a tsunami warning and there was absolutely no need to panic.

Hmm... I just wish more 'to the point' info could be spread to the locals & as well as visitors (expats, etc) to help avoid panic in a society where not all residents are online savy and most all earthquakes unfortunately & quite understandably are taken as warnings of tsunamis... as if the former wouldn't be terrifying enough, seriously... we have earthquakes to worry about too now... in Phuket!?? :/

somebody should get there thai wife or girlfriend to translate this message from the thai meteorological department:

ต้องทำความเข้าใจนิดนึงนะครับว่​าภัยแผ่นดินไหวไม่สามารถบอกได้ล​่วงหน้า ทางสำนักเฝ้าระวังแผ่นดินไหว มีภาระหน้าที่เพียงแจ้งให้ประชา​ชนทราบถึงที่มา ศูนย์กลาง ขนาดความรุณแรง โดยเราจะพยายามแจ้งข้อมูลข้อเท็​จจริงอย่างรวดเร็วที่สุดเท่าที่​ทำได้ครับ การทำงานต่างๆ ต่างก็มีข้อติดขัด หลายๆ อย่างหากประชาชนไม่ได้รับความสะ​ดวกของข้อมูล ทางเราก็ ขออภัยมา ณ ที่นี้ครับ

it's quite a popular post. i'd love to know what it means. google and bing arn't often the best for translating thai unfortunately.

If you go to the USGS earthquake map and select the link to the real time map it has an option there to report an eartquake not shown on the map, perhaps someone who was there at the time could go onto the site and report the quake. http://earthquake.us...arthquakes/map/

I did that shortly after the 'shake'

So did I and they still haven't recognised it. Obviously Thailand has better equipment than the USGS

Perhaps it could be explained by the NDWC not really cooperating with the USGS site, (why is that?) like the subsequently opened centers in India, Malaysia & Indonesia seem to be doing, and thus the comprehensive coverage might not be accurately displayed... I'm just saying 'cos so far the NDWC has done little to impress me... other than causing panic amongst locals believing all they read/hear there's little useful info coming out from the organization supposedly in charge of this 'better equipment'... again, just saying... shame really...

MEMBER's LIVE REPORTS:

Huge quake felt on Kata Beach and in other parts of Phuket

http://www.thaivisa....e-here-in-kata/

I love how LivingInKata's report of a "Huge shake" gets morphed into a "Huge quake." By all accounts this was very minor. I think people that are unaccustomed to earthquakes over report their severity. Feeling a slight shake, a few ripples in the pool is by no means a "Huge quake." An 8.0...now that's a huge quake.

aWizz since its not letting me quote you....

well i was thinking the same thing but obviously it is the thai seismological bureau http://www.seismology.tmd.go.th/en/ that monitors the seismic and tsunami activity in thailand. they have been posting updates all night long (in thai unfortunately) on there facebook page https://www.facebook.com/EarthquakeTMD thats why i wanted to know what the message in my previous post meant as it had a load of comments and i believe mentions something about cooperating with the USGA.

Also if you look at the map on this http://www.seismology.tmd.go.th/en/stations.php page it shows the 76 locations of the monitoring stations all across thailand.

the National Disaster Warning Centre would obviously just be going by what these guys tell them. it would still be helpful if they could employ one english speaking person to translate each update on facebook and the internet into english though.

• Like 1

somebody should get there thai wife or girlfriend to translate this message from the thai meteorological department:

ต้องทำความเข้าใจนิดนึงนะครับว่​าภัยแผ่นดินไหวไม่สามารถบอกได้ล​่วงหน้า ทางสำนักเฝ้าระวังแผ่นดินไหว มีภาระหน้าที่เพียงแจ้งให้ประชา​ชนทราบถึงที่มา ศูนย์กลาง ขนาดความรุณแรง โดยเราจะพยายามแจ้งข้อมูลข้อเท็​จจริงอย่างรวดเร็วที่สุดเท่าที่​ทำได้ครับ การทำงานต่างๆ ต่างก็มีข้อติดขัด หลายๆ อย่างหากประชาชนไม่ได้รับความสะ​ดวกของข้อมูล ทางเราก็ ขออภัยมา ณ ที่นี้ครับ

it's quite a popular post. i'd love to know what it means. google and bing arn't often the best for translating thai unfortunately.

Yeah Google is useless. Google will never understand context, simile or metaphor. I find that thai2english works best. It gives all the options for each word. You have a good chance of getting the jist if you peice it together.

ต้อง dtông have to ; must ทำความเข้าใจ tam kwaam kâo jai try to understand ; endeavour to grasp นิดนึง nít neung a little bit ; just a little นะ ná (particle used to make a sentence seem softer, more persuasive or less abrupt) ครับว่ ครับว่ ครับว่ (transliteration) · าภัย าภัย าภัย (transliteration) แผ่นดิน pàen din land ; territory ; country ไหว wăi can ; be able to ไม่สามารถ mâi săa-mâat not be able ; be unable บอก bòk to tell ได้ล ได้ล ได้ล (transliteration) · ่วงหน้า ่วง nâa next ่วง (transliteration) · ทาง taang way ; path ; route สำนัก săm-nák institute ; academy ; institution เฝ้าระวัง fâo rá-wang watch over แผ่นดิน pàen din land ; territory ; country ไหว wăi can ; be able to · มี mee have ; there is ภาระหน้าที่ paa-rá nâa-têe duty ; obligation เพียง piang only แจ้ง jâeng inform ; tell ; advise ให้ hâi to give ; to offer

to let ; to have (someone to do something) ประชา bprà-chaa people ; citizens ; populace · ชน chon complete ; get close to ; near

collide with ; hit ; bump against

fight (of animals) ทราบ sâap to know ; to understand ; to realize ถึง tĕung to reach ; to arrive ; to get to ที่มา têe maa origin ; source ; cause · ศูนย์กลาง sŏon glaang central ; middle

center · ขนาด kà-nàat size ; magnitude ; dimension ความรุ kwaam rú purge ณแรง ná raeng harsh , strong nor nen (ณ - the nineteenth letter in the Thai alphabet) โดย doi by ; with ; by means of เรา rao we ; us จะ jà will ; shall พยายาม pá-yaa-yaam try ; endeavour ; attempt แจ้ง jâeng to inform ; to tell ; to advise ข้อมูล kôr moon data ; information ข้อ kôr item ; provision ; clause (ข้อ is the classifier for a point, item or clause (e.g. in a contract).) เท็ เท็ เท็ (transliteration) · จจ จจ จจ (transliteration) ริ rí originates ; starts งอ ngor to bend ; to crook ; to flex ย่าง yâang to step ; to walk ; to step on

to roast ; to barbecue ; to bake ที่สุด têe sùt most ; maximally ; greatest

most ; maximum ; greatest รวดเร็ว rûat reo [to be] fast ; rapid ; quick เท่าที่ tâo têe as much as ; to the extent that ทำได้ tam dâai can ; be able to ครับ kráp (particle used by male speakers at the end of sentences to make them more polite) · การทำงาน gaan tam ngaan working ต่างๆ dtàang dtàang all ; all kinds of ; a variety of ต่าง dtàang be different ; be seperate ; differ ก็ gôr also ; likewise

then ; so ; therefore

well ; umm ; err (often used when trying to think what to say)

(a marker used when joining clauses of a sentence together) มี mee have ; there is ข้อ kôr item ; provision ; clause (ข้อ is the classifier for a point, item or clause (e.g. in a contract).) ติดขัด dtìt kàt be congested ; be jammed ; be obstructed · หลายๆอย่าง lăai lăai yàang many ways หาก hàak if ประชาชน bprà-chaa chon people ; inhabitants ; residents ไม่ได้ mâi dâai didn't ; did not

can't ; cannot รับ ráp receive ; get ; accept ความ kwaam (prefix which converts a verb or adjective into an abstract noun)

sense ; meaning ; substance สะ sà sa (transliteration) · ดวก dùak duak (transliteration) ของ kŏng of ข้อมูล kôr moon data ; information · เรา rao my ทาง taang way ; path ; route ก็ gôr also ; likewise

then ; so ; therefore

well ; umm ; err (often used when trying to think what to say)

(a marker used when joining clauses of a sentence together) · ขออภัย kŏr a-pai apologized ; ask for forgiveness มา maa (a marker that puts the main verb in the present perfect tense) · ณ ná nor nen (ณ - the nineteenth letter in the Thai alphabet) ที่ têe to ; at

that ; which ; who นี้ née this ครับ kráp (particle used by male speakers at the end of sentences to make them more polite)

If the 5.3 afterquake today is huge, what was the 8.7 quake last week??

According to the Richter Scale a 5.3 quake is 4000 times weaker than a 8.7 quake, so definitely no need for a Tsunami warning.

richter-scale.gif

The higher-numbers "potential hazard" names are funny/silly and not very descriptive.

USGS now lists a 3.9 earthquake under Ko Yao, which happened 2 minutes before the big Sumatra earthquake yesterday. on.doi.gov/HY6CGV /via @PhuketLiveWire

Is that attached pic above from NDWC or USGS?

That revised epicenter does seem to be right where the Klong Marui fault runs, not that the quake has to be directly on a fault, but more often they seem to be.

activefault_thailand_eng2.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe