Phuket Struck Twice By Earthquakes

george

Phuket struck twice by earthquakes

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Phuket was struck by a 4.3-magnitude earthquake with an epicenter believed to be in the center of the island just minutes before another quake struck off Sumatra this afternoon.

San Jantharawong, chief of the Phuket office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Phuket) said his officers were now working on locating the exact center of the first quake, which he believes was the short audible “boom” that residents experienced throughout Phuket.

“The epicenter of the first quake was at Srisoonthorn, in Thalang. It was detected 10 kilometers deep and occurred at around 4:44 pm. After that, at 4:46pm, another quake of 5.4 magnitude was detected under the ocean off Sumatra,” said Mr San.

“The first quake was felt all over Phuket island since the epicenter was right here in Phuket,” he added.

“I have heard from the Srisoonthorn Mayor that some local people’s houses in Srisoonthorn were damaged, so I sent my team out to check on damage in that area,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-04-16

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live 240 meters from the epicentre and had two windows shatter. No big deal but quite a shaker here in Srisoonthorn.

Now maybe we should not dismiss the expert who predicts an even greater shock before friday. He may be right.

My one motorbike almost fell off its side stand.

• Like 1

post-566-0-99850000-1334592121_thumb.jpg

Reports:

• North phuket - It was realy good to compare with a sonic boom from an airplane. One big boom and the windows were shaking it lasted 1 second not more then that. you could see rimpels in the pond and swimmingpool. I experienced the same in oakland one day. That was a 3,2 and we were at that moment 5 km from the epic centre of the quake. But it was the same sound and experience.
  • Phuket - short and sharp, ground shaking...
  • Phuket Thailand - Light shaking indicated
  • Phuket - Massive shake...no more than 10 seconds...bigger than last week. Could be more local
  • Phuket - Only for a few seconds but a shake none the less.
  • Phuket, Thailand - Very strong shaking.....only few second though.....around 4:50pm local time....
  • Phuket, Thailand - Light shaking, very brief....Locals all heading to higher ground.
  • Patong Beach Thailand - Windows, doors, dishes shaking in house for 8-10 seconds.

aftershocks, predictable after the last weks.

nothing happen, no damage - just some panic

Good no one was hurt.

where did you get your info?

I assuming it would be a bit too Early to confirm no one was hurt, hope you are right.

which he believes was the short audible “boom” that residents experienced throughout Phuket

Where do they find these guys?

Home Grown, Government Schooled. Who the heck would want their jobs, no tea money here.

i use to live in California. A 4.3 is not big deal but when its in an area not accustomed to daily quakes as California is, it can be quite unnerving. At least people are still paying attention..

• Like 2

I'm skeptical because the USGS didn't report this quake - and still hasn't, now, six hours after it was supposed to have happened.

On the other hand, several friends felt a significant jolt around that time in Patong.

I've submitted the observation to the USGS. Let's see if they can find two quakes in their data.

I agree Woody, this seems like the following:

1. Thaivisa perhaps unwittingly malformed (or made confusing) the title of the posting "Phuket struck twice by earthquakes" by reporting the actual quake in Phuket (the one everyone's seen on the news and confirmed by the USGS), and mixing in information related to the Sumatra quake "felt on Phuket" so that the headline could say "Phuket struck twice by earthquakes" and still be factual based on a certain point of view. Like when Obi-wan gave Luke the heads-up about Darth V.

2. The aftershocks are normal and not separate or additional earthquakes (Otherwise everyone would see it in USGS) and the sounds (booms, bangs, whimpers) people are hearing are from these aftershocks because Phuket is an island, and islands make a ruckus when they move. Or it's a neighbour nailing the missus on one of those cheap sofas from Index.

I am from California, and it is highly inaccurate for someone to say "Phuket struck twice by Earthquakes" because it was struck only once and had the usual several aftershocks.

The place where the epicenter was, is always understood by grown-ups as the location of the quake.

We live near Laos, and when a quake struck there recently, and we felt it here, no one anywhere (including Thaivisa) said Issan struck by earthquake.

All the theories about sonic booms will fall short.

Edited by saanya

And another one here in Sri Soonthorn, not quite as strong this time. I assure the skeptics this is happening here now in Phuket tonight. They are not related to the onging aftershocks in Sumatra quakes last week . They I would suggest are aftershorks from the Thalang Quake reported at 4:44pm this afternoon.

Edited by Pomthai

I'm skeptical because the USGS didn't report this quake - and still hasn't, now, six hours after it was supposed to have happened.

On the other hand, several friends felt a significant jolt around that time in Patong.

I've submitted the observation to the USGS. Let's see if they can find two quakes in their data.

Yep i live in Patong and my house got shook for prob only 3/4 seconds but it defo happened!!

And another one here in Sri Soonthorn, not quite as strong this time. I assure the skeptics this is happening here now in Phuket tonight. They are not related to the onging aftershocks in Sumatra quakes last week . They I would suggest are aftershorks from the Thalang Quake reported at 4:44pm this afternoon.

yes, they are aftershocks.

Yep i live in Patong and my house got shook for prob only 3/4 seconds but it defo happened!!

yeah, aftershocks. the huge LA quake in 1994 had hundreds aftershocks for about 6 months when I was living there. each day you'd feel many of them. or if you were driving, you'd see the traffic signals rocking back & forth. expect them to last a while, some will be aftershocks of multiple quakes in the region. the tectonic plates in the "ring of fire" are highly volatile. expect more quakes, more tsunamis, and if you are Phuket, expect "post-quake wet-season-induced landslides" when the monsoon season kicks into gear this year. it is going to drop a few roads in the water on various parts of the island. parts that didn't slip when it was dry. add in the shoddy building standards.

Wikipedia article on Sunda Plate

Edited by saanya
  • Like 1

Something is very fishy. Several hours later and USGS has reported no earthquake in Phuket

http://earthquake.us...n/Australia.php

Maybe sonic booms? There are sometimes 2 seperate booms from high altitude planes.

Do sonic booms make your computer chair jump up 3 inches - with you in it?

w00t.gif

Yeah what he said. There is no way in the world these are sonic booms. 100% ground shaking. Sounds like distant thunder with a rather abrupt ending though.

Something is very fishy. Several hours later and USGS has reported no earthquake in Phuket

http://earthquake.us...n/Australia.php

Maybe sonic booms? There are sometimes 2 seperate booms from high altitude planes.

I also agree that there is fish in the air! I am in Chalong and have felt nothing since the 4pm aftershock from Indonesia. I noticed that there was a 5.1 aftershock in Indonesia around 11pm and that is when everyone in Patong was reporting more earthquakes. So it seems more likely that if there is an earthquake in Phuket it is unlikely to happen at the same time as the aftershocks from Indonesia. Perhaps the area around Talang and Patong is more sensitive to the aftershocks coming from Indonesia. I still don't see any reports on the internet about an earthquake in Phuket except from Phuket Gazette, Thai Visa and Phuketwan.

So - Who to believe?

Far larger earthquakes in the same general area off the coast of Banda Ache have produced far less effects in Phuket than these latest "smaller" events. Yet I know that tremblings can skip areas closer to the epicenter, and be felt greater in areas more distant. Perhaps that is the case.

When I was living in Pattaya (so this had to be 5+ years ago), I felt a 'bump'. Having lived in California, I suspected an earthquake. I checked USGS and it took about 30 minutes to show up. They registered its location in the Gulf of Thailand - somewhere off Hua Hin - if memory serves. No ensuing updates changed the location - either from the USGS or Thai govt. I followed that for a couple weeks.

However, at the time, the Thai govt. said it was across the border in Burma. My thought at the time was that covering up its location would be better for tourism.

I'll be interested in how the info from this latest event pans out. I'll be following this one too.

Thanks!

Buzzer

i use to live in California. A 4.3 is not big deal but when its in an area not accustomed to daily quakes as California is, it can be quite unnerving. At least people are still paying attention..

Agreed.

Interesting. Having a Sumatra aftershock almost the same time has really confused things it seems. The report-earthquake site is right..the aftershock in Sumatra could not have caused this or have been felt in Phuket. Too far away. http://earthquake-re...-april-16-2012/

I have read all the first hand reports and it I almost want to say this seems like a sonic boom rather than an earthquake. The fact that not a single official (reliable) source has confirmed it except through peoples reports reinforces that. I have been through countless earthquakes here in California and several in Japan and I have never heard of one accompanied by an audible "boom" as so many people have reported. Someone needs to check with the military and see if they were flying supersonic jets around Phuket today. There are 2 airwings stationed near Phuket and both have super-sonic aircraft.

EDIT: Now people reporting aftershocks would seem to contradict my theory.

Edited by NomadJoe

Now there is M2.1 listed at Thalang, Phuket at Thai Meteorological department website at 16:47.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/earthquake_report.php

That's still not the one we experienced here, not at least when it comes to the time.

I heard the thunder sound. Went to the balcony to see what is happening. Then I got an message from Central festival, which was time stamped at 16:46. Note that the incoming text had to be written first, which also takes a bit of time. My computer and I suppose Google is also synced with ntp server.

According to Wikipedia, "Velocity tends to increase with depth, and ranges from approximately 2 to 8 km/s in the Earth's crust up to 13 km/s in the deep mantle."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave

So let's assume that the speed of the wave was 5km/second. Distance from Banda Aceh to Phuket is about 500km. In that case the it would take 100 seconds to reach Phuket. Sound, which travels through air about 333m/s would take about 25 minutes if created at Banda Aceh. Sound travels from Thalang to my home in 45 seconds. Although I experienced that the sound was traveling from North to South on North-East side of Phuket.

Anyway I'm pretty ready to believe that the quake epicentry was indeed in Phuket. This was my first earth quake experience, well at least the sound of it.