Where Can I Find A Good Carbon Steel Wok Im Bkk

xen

I have been looking for a Carbon Steel Wok the same as is used in most Chinese and Thai Restaurants but cannot find a good one, I found one in Macro but the steel wood handle was too short in relationship to the steel and for my gf to use she would need forearms like Popeye the Sailer Man.

I do not want stainless steel or aluminium or Teflon coated just an old fashined carbon steel - such a common simple cooking implement . Are there any good commercial cookery shops that anyone can suggest somewhere close to Suk 71 preferably but will travel further afield to get what i want. I know i can buy in Aus in any Asian supermarket but it seems riduculous that i can't find one in BKK or am looking in the wrong places.

Any good suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Actually a few hours after posting I found one in that strange supermarket opposite Eck-mai bus station . They even had the rings to sit the wok in which was a bonus. Still have to burn it in and season it properly.

Yes i was thinking of heading off to the chinatown area as a last resort . It still surprises me that they are so diificult to find .

Thanks for your replies

Sorry to hijack this thread but can anyone recommend a good pan for an induction cooker and where to buy it. My stainless steel pans don't cook evenly due to hotspots. Aluminium and I believe carbon steel are out. I believe I need a combined stainless steel and aluminium pan, or cast iron.

Sorry to hijack this thread but can anyone recommend a good pan for an induction cooker and where to buy it. My stainless steel pans don't cook evenly due to hotspots. Aluminium and I believe carbon steel are out. I believe I need a combined stainless steel and aluminium pan, or cast iron.

I saw some of them (as in Woks) in Tesco in Rama 4 whilst searching for my carbon steel woks. I was wondering why such a cobination of materials and that has answered it,

induction cookers are tricky and stainless is doable if you experiment...hot spots all over the place...aluminum is no go as is other material...best to use the manufacturer's recommendation...

when you get it down the cookers ain't bad...here's tutsi in winter on the north central coast of Vietnam with a superb curry bubbling on the cooker and then the VN lady housekeeper enters and sez: 'that looks mighty fine, toots...'

and then I tried to have sex with her but was unsuccessful...she was romantic and said:

she was like a vietnamese Shirley Jones, America's sweetheart...tutsi, just home from work at the power station site was dirty, brooding and sweating...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

For our Induction cooktop we use Meyer pans and frypans, which are pretty cheap and do a fine job. And for a wok we use a Calphalon the was bought at the Emporium. It is 13" size (33 cm) and works very well. Also was not particularly expensive.

• 3 months later...

I took advice and went to soi 77 and started looking around the lil mom and pop stores. I found a 14 in 'iron' wok for 200bt. Has a round bottom and they were also selling the aluminum ones too for cheaper.

So when you get off the BTS at on nut, start walking towards soi 77. Walk across soi 77 then start heading down it. About 100 m later you should be able to walk down another soi to your left near the market. Then walk 15-20 m to the next market stall and turn right. The stall on the corner Nd the next store sell cookery. This

Is where you can find your traditional wok. I also found a bamboo brush there for 20 baht. Don't waste your time going to makro, big c or even Robinson. They all use aluminum or stainless steel woks. I looked many many places before

I found this one. I also went around 830 so go then or 1am. Normal Thai market times. 830 seemed like people were pretty scarce. I also bought a picnic gas burner from Robinson for 500

Baht plus 195 baht for 4 butane cans.

post-137694-134344312741_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I took advice and went to soi 77 and started looking around the lil mom and pop stores. I found a 14 in 'iron' wok for 200bt. Has a round bottom and they were also selling the aluminum ones too for cheaper.

I saw a wok labeled as "Iron Wok" in Makro costing around 200 Bhat. Another thing I could read on it was "Rocket" (if I remember correctly), which I think is the brand or the manufacturer. And it looks pretty much similar to what's shown in your picture.

I tried holding it and it seemed too light for a cast iron wok and I remembered your mentioning of "iron" wok in your post. So is this "iron wok" same thing as a carbon steel wok? I want to try a carbon steel wok, but I have no idea how to identify one. And how do I avoid aluminum ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Take a simple magnet with you. If it sticks to the bottom of the pan, that pan will work with induction systems. Cast iron are best, IMLE.

Major cookware manufacturers typically have universal symbols on the bottom of the item indicating usage. The symbol for induction is often a horizontal coil.

Not sure where in Thailand you are but IKEA has some decent induction cookware.

Also there is this new shop on Bang Na Trat Road, I think they still have a huge sale on:

http://pantip.com/topic/30796351

Edited by lomatopo

• 6 years later...
On 4/18/2012 at 9:14 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Carbon steel skillets work fine on induction cookers.

• Haha 1