Where I Can Buy Solar Cells In Thailand?

Sandman77

hello!

I plan this year to install solar cells on the roof of our house!

The power should enough for aircon for 2 rooms!

Can some experts give me advice how many m2 panels I need?

And aku system save the power!

Where I can buy this system in Thailand?

Can also order in eu?

If here to expensive?

Why Thailand use no solar cells with 365 sun in the years?

How much solar cells to realize the project would coasts aproximently ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I stand to be corrected by our more electrically knowlegable members of TV, but dont think you will be running an aircon(s) on solar too much amp draw on the compressor...

With 2 new eco. units, a 3 x 3 (9m2) it could be done but the real cost is the wiring and power storage.

I looked into this a while back, and unless your intention is only to power the units and not use power off the grid and dont care at what cost, it is not financially viable. your roi would be far too long, especially if you factor in the cost of replacement panels and batteries.

the panels and hardware and electronics are expensive here and there are no subsidies to help you.

perhaps advances have been made in the last 8 or so years, but i doubt if they have trickled down to the Thai consumer.

I also found local suppliers very difficult to get a quote or any design advice out of.

that said, if you do succeed, i for one would be ecstatic to hear of your experience and perhaps benefit from it.

I looked into this a while back, and unless your intention is only to power the units and not use power off the grid and dont care at what cost, it is not financially viable. your roi would be far too long, especially if you factor in the cost of replacement panels and batteries.

It's getting there due to lower manufacturing costs along with more efficient cells and also the ever increasing cost of power. Still a good few years off though.

Ball park figure for a 3kW off-grid (with batteries) system from a Chinese supplier, USD 10k + duties and tax. If you already have mains power at the site you could go grid-tie (no need for batteries, your meter goes backwards during the day) for about USD 8k ++

Both would have about 20m2 of solar cells.

If you only want to run cooling you may be better off looking at directly solar powered aircon, there have been a couple of threads, try a search.

• Like 1

I am interested in your comment about grid tie, is this an established thing in Thailand ??

I have some experience living on solar and the costs have dramatically reduced over the last few years.The overlooked problem has been the replacement of the batteries, in Australia that meant putting A$10 or more per week aside just for the batteries.

Obviously with out this cost I believe that solar is close to being an alternative.

There is a bloke in Chiangmai who knows his business (ABO) So no doubt there are others around.

It's getting there due to lower manufacturing costs along with more efficient cells and also the ever increasing cost of power.

I brought that up to several Thai companies. They seemed to think it was a rude thing to say in light of the fact they raise their prices periodically.

Still a good few years off though.

Oh you mean the days of cheap, green power is just around the corner? After hearing this in the 80's, 90's, 00's and now 10's there is no longer credibility.

• Like 1

If you want a DIY, you can walk in to Amorn electronics and buy it. They sell panels, controllers and everything needed.

Which branch currently has solar kit? I've seen the occasional panel but no grid-tie inverters :(

I'd be very nervous back feeding through the meter. I wouldn't want to be responsible for killing an electric company employee because the lines were still alive during a mains power failure.

• Like 1

I'd be very nervous back feeding through the meter. I wouldn't want to be responsible for killing an electric company employee because the lines were still alive during a mains power failure.

That's why grid-tie inverters have Island Protection, if there is no mains the inverter shuts down.

• Like 1

Ball park figure for a 3kW off-grid (with batteries) system from a Chinese supplier, USD 10k + duties and tax. If you already have mains power at the site you could go grid-tie (no need for batteries, your meter goes backwards during the day) for

To connect to the distribution grid in Thailand, while possible in theory, is not a trivial exercise. Even for very small installations you will need a power purchase agreement with PEA/MEA and then a separate permission to connect to their system. You will also need a factory license from the Industrial Works Department (Ministry of Industry). All of these require the submittal of drawings and technical details that no average homeowner would be able to produce and would probably cost more for an engineering company to prepare than the installed cost for a system that only generates a few kW. I think, if you consider a residential solar installation at all, you should forget about anything grid connected.

Ball park figure for a 3kW off-grid (with batteries) system from a Chinese supplier, USD 10k + duties and tax. If you already have mains power at the site you could go grid-tie (no need for batteries, your meter goes backwards during the day) for

To connect to the distribution grid in Thailand, while possible in theory, is not a trivial exercise. Even for very small installations you will need a power purchase agreement with PEA/MEA and then a separate permission to connect to their system. You will also need a factory license from the Industrial Works Department (Ministry of Industry). All of these require the submittal of drawings and technical details that no average homeowner would be able to produce and would probably cost more for an engineering company to prepare than the installed cost for a system that only generates a few kW. I think, if you consider a residential solar installation at all, you should forget about anything grid connected.

Exactly, there is no provision for small grid-tie systems. In reality if you don't over generate nobody will be any the wiser.

• Like 1

This drawing is from PEA's grid code and describes their requirements for connecting an inverter to their distribution secondary.

It's in Thai but mostly self-explanatory, I think. The dashed line separates PEA-owned plant from the privately-owned equipment.

My translation of the inverter requirements at the bottom of the drawing is as follows (the numbers in parenthesis are standard relaying nomenclature):

1. Under/over voltage protection
  2. Over current protection for phase and ground
  3. Under/over frequency protection
  4. Synchronization check
  5. Anti-islanding protection in accordance with IEC 61727 and IEC 62116 or as approved by PEA

As mentioned above, approval is simple in theory but, in practice, not easy to satisfy the documentary requirements.

I'm sure that Crossy is correct in that, if you just hooked it up, nobody would ever know the difference. I don't think I'd be willing to risk it myself though.

An inverter grid tied may be supplied from batteries or a solar array or wind generation.

It would appear that grid tied systems are available for commercial and industrial use only in Thailand. You would have to meet the criteria for connection.

Unless you are paid for the electricity you generate from a grid tied inverter system there is no incentive for you to invest in such a system In other words you need a feed in tarriff.

Legal requirements (metering) aside why supply free power to the PEA at your expense?

Grid tie inverter systems do not have batteries the solar arrays are conected in series with the inverter for small systems.

With stand alone solar battery systems with a charger/inverter you would require an additional inverter to connect with the grid. The solar panels are connected in parallel, in 24VDC or 48VDC configurations for small systems.

In reply to Sandman 77 post #1

You will require a grid tie system. First what is your consumption per day in kWhs. Grid tie systems are available in 1.6kw. 3.2kw and 4.8 kw. If it is about 18kWh per day a 1.6kW system would suffice as a minimum.

The cells are rated at 160 to 200w each at an optimum voltage of 35 to 38VDC at about 5.4 amps. The array is connected in series, This is connected to an inverter which is required to shut down if the distribution supply is lost.

1. You need to have an agreement with your electricity supplier ie PEA/MEA. 2.You will need a feed in tariff. Both these do not appear to be available in Thailand as yet.

You would be better to save your money and buy a standby generator for when there are power outages.

Thailand does not as yet seem to have a renewable energy policy.

I plan this year to install solar cells on the roof of our house! The power should enough for aircon for 2 rooms!

i want to buy a solar powered car. the power should be enough to transport my whole family from point A to point B. you want to know how big my family is and the distance between point A and point B?

that's none of your business!

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

JEEZ! looking forward to read 99 pages of irrelevant suggestions including instructions how to change a light bulb according to established Australian sparky rules and regulations and of course the advice that the OP should not invest in Thailand what he is not prepared to lose.

summary:

-the OP is a technical layman

-he would like to have airconditioning in his home

-he wants to save money with solar power

-but he has no freaking idea what it will cost to run two airconditioners by photovoltaic enenery

-once he will hear the approximate involved capital cost he will disappear!

• Like 1

I plan this year to install solar cells on the roof of our house! The power should enough for aircon for 2 rooms!

i want to buy a solar powered car. the power should be enough to transport my whole family from point A to point B. you want to know how big my family is and the distance between point A and point B?

that's none of your business!

can you attach a hook on your car allowing you to pull a two ton trailer carrying your batteries?

as expected and often experienced... a poster comes up with a "brilliant" technical idea and asks questions because his background consists of a wealth of no technical as well as no commercial ideas. he is fed a few facts, some other posters overfeed him with facts and then he disappears without a simple "thanks guys!" sick.gif

• Like 1

Someone withknowledge could maybe calculate how this would work out:

Solar panels directly connected to an efficient freezer unit where the AC motor has been exchanged for an efficient 12 or 48V DC motor.

The freezer unit is cooling a big insulated tank with an efficient liquid (saline solution??) to store the cold.

In the rooms you have the standard wall units with a fan and a heat exchanger.

The fans in the units are powered with the normal AC power.

AC powered circulation pumps will bring the coold liquid from the holding tank to the wall units. The circulation pumps will be controlled by the thermostat in the wall unit.

why doing it the hard way when aircon units with DC compressors (called "inverters") are available? every Tom, Dick and Harry aircon guy and builders market are promoting and selling them.

no insulated tanks, circulation pumps, etc. required. the problem is not a technical one but a capital intensive one which does not provide a reasonable rate of return when compared with the cost of energy from the public grid.

why doing it the hard way when aircon units with DC compressors (called "inverters") are available? every Tom, Dick and Harry aircon guy and builders market are promoting and selling them.

no insulated tanks, circulation pumps, etc. required. the problem is not a technical one but a capital intensive one which does not provide a reasonable rate of return when compared with the cost of energy from the public grid.

An inverter compressor is using an AC motor. The input AC is converted to DC and then again converted to AC at different frequences to adjust the compressor speed. So that will not really work out of the box but could maybe be done if you bypassed the step where the input AC was converted to DC.

Anyway, I did say to use an efficient freezer unit and that could maybe be an inverter unit.

The point of a large refrigiant tank was to cool this down during daytime when you have sunlight to power solar cells. The stored cool refrigiant could then be used during night time, when most people use their aircon, to cool down the two rooms. This would not be possible without the large tank or a massive battery bank, even if you are using an inverter aircon.

The thing with the tank is that it would probably be a lot cheaper to store the energy this way than using batteries and once it is built there are no replacement costs to think about.

If you could build the tank yourself the only real additional cost would be for the solar panels and they are getting cheaper by the day.

An inverter compressor is using an AC motor. The input AC is converted to DC and then again converted to AC at different frequences to adjust the compressor speed.

Panasonic has introduced a model with a variable speed DC compressor (voltage triggered speed) to avoid the energy loss of converting AC/DC back and forth which can be as high as 6-8%. but i have no idea whether it would work without a storage (battery) buffer. whatever, as far as the OP is concerned any discussion is purely academic although quite interesting.

years ago (living in the african bush) with 24/7 voltage fluctuations between 90 and 240V i had a back-up unit built for the master-bedroom by using all parts from a car AC (compressor belt driven by a multi-voltage electric motor). there was of course no way to regulate the output because even the driving motor's RPM were voltage based but some cooling was better than no cooling at all.

• 2 weeks later...

If you only want to run cooling you may be better off looking at directly solar powered aircon, there have been a couple of threads, try a search.

Solar powered aircon are really available in thailand? I think is really expensive?wacko.png

Regards

Thomas

• 2 months later...

Hi

I found that, Grid tie inverter, maybe is a good solution.

Thaipowertech is a thai company, all in thai.

It looks like 2-4 year and you will have your money back!

I havent lookt in to it yet, I will do that next time I am in Thailand.

One of my freind is trying to import it from China, find out about that later!

Off topic and unrelated to OP's question but last week my brother installed a home solar system linked to the national grid in the UK the government in addition to the electric company pay him for generating & that's guaranteed for 25years!!

+ you get to use what you generate. Don't know much about reverse metering as mentioned already but according to him most companies in UK don't install an export meter, they estimate that you export 50% of what you generate

So just supposing you generate 1000kw

Elec company pay you 500 x 3.1p Government pays you 1000 x 21p

Plus he can try to use all the electric that's generated during daytime because there's no export meter, by doing all this your normal electric bill for imported electric is much cheaper too.

It's a pity this government here in Thailand don't seem to offer financial incentives for residential households to encourage the use of alternative energy,

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app