20 Years ....The Premiership Nostalgia

MrRed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great stuff on there. I just did the greatest premieship team of all time. I genuinely, honestly and from the bottom of my heart, with god as my witness, swear I don't support Man Utd. It did end up looking like this though:

Ha....can't get the screen dump to show....maybe an omen that I shouldn't show it!!

Edited by LucidLucifer

Mine was this:

Schmeichel

Neville Stam Terry Irwin

Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs

Cantona Van Nistelrooy

Longevity played a big part in my choices. Consistent performance over many seasons. It really is so difficult, and I think of the names left out......could pick 3 or 4 completely different teams quite easily. Henry or Shearer with Bergkamp up front would look just as tasty.

Mine was this:

Schmeichel

Neville Stam Terry Irwin

Cantona Van Nistelrooy

Longevity played a big part in my choices. Consistent performance over many seasons. It really is so difficult, and I think of the names left out......could pick 3 or 4 completely different teams quite easily. Henry or Shearer with Bergkamp up front would look just as tasty.

<deleted>.....You haven't included Thierry Henry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably "the best" player to play in the premier league. Unbelievable

Strikers...Zola and Bergkamp. I gave up on defenders when I saw Bacary Sagna and Stephen Carr on the list. In fact i felt a bit queasy.

Then I saw the name Sol and almost puked up my breakfast. Don't do that to me again.

In fact my favourite striker was Klinsmann....I wish he was still playing for us!

Edited by smokie36

Mine was this:

Schmeichel

Neville Stam Terry Irwin

Cantona Van Nistelrooy

Sorry i edited because i've looked at your team again and i have just read Terry so unless you are using someones christian name ( i thought it was Marcel) i'll assume you are joking.

very droll

Edited by carmine

Mine was this:

Schmeichel

Neville Stam Terry Irwin

Cantona Van Nistelrooy

<deleted>.....You haven't included Thierry Henry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably "the best" player to play in the premier league. Unbelievable

haha, yes. ludicrous not to have henry in it, he's clearly been the best player in the premier league era. literally won matches by himself.

Strikers...Zola and Bergkamp. I gave up on defenders when I saw Bacary Sagna and Stephen Carr on the list. In fact i felt a bit queasy.

Then I saw the name Sol and almost puked up my breakfast. Don't do that to me again.

smokes, you write down Henry and then pick ten others.

Can't bring myself to do it. I'm busy watching Klinsmann's goals on youtube...ahhh the one against the scousers...Get in!!

Edit: OK Scholes...Keane.....Bale....and a young Beckham. Schmeichel. I can't look at the defender list without laughing I'm sorry. Oh and Mr karate kick. He was a true great as well.

Edited by smokie36

Can't bring myself to do it. I'm busy watching Klinsmann's goals on youtube...ahhh the one against the scousers...Get in!!

Edit: OK Scholes...Keane.....Bale....and a young Beckham. Schmeichel. I can't look at the defender list without laughing I'm sorry. Oh and Mr karate kick. He was a true great as well.

So far i've included Schmeical, Cole, Desailly Stam, Scholes Ronaldo Giggs and Henry.

I stand by my choice of Van Nistelrooy over Henry. With Cantona, Giggs, Ronaldo and Scholes in the line up, I'd rather have a poacher that can mop up chances in the box. (BTW if you actually read my post carefully instead of blowing a gasket, you'd see I said he'd look just as tasty up front as who I had actually picked).

And yes, John Terry.....four times in the UEFA team of the year....says something.

disappointed not to see sami hyypia in there. ahead of carragher certainly.

Yes a bit surprising. The right back position looks really light weight. So much so it might have to be Neville. Scary

Agreed....I put Neville in for the want of a better choice. He does look rather out of place when you read off the other names.

So far i've included Schmeical, Cole, Desailly Stam, Scholes Ronaldo Giggs and Henry.

Cantona has to be a shoe in...the ability to turn a game on his own.

I stand by my choice of Van Nistelrooy over Henry. With Cantona, Giggs, Ronaldo and Scholes in the line up, I'd rather have a poacher that can mop up chances in the box. (BTW if you actually read my post carefully instead of blowing a gasket, you'd see I said he'd look just as tasty up front as who I had actually picked).

And yes, John Terry.....four times in the UEFA team of the year....says something.

Stop being so touchy.

If you are picking the all time best premier league team they will not be a single premier league manager i doubt over the 20 years that wouldn't start with henry and i include ferguson.

Theres also imho no way on earth Terry would in over Marcel Desailly. No way at all. You could argue the toss over cashly Cole at right back but theres been none better. And agreed Neville at right back i suppose, grudgingly

Ha....can't get the screen dump to show....maybe an omen that I shouldn't show it!!

I knew I shouldn't have opened this can of worms.....

Desailly was a fantastic player, a true great. Terry was chosen as he's spent his whole career in the Premiership, right through his prime, rather than arriving as a 30 year old.

My second choice centre back pairing was Desailly and oooh aaah Paul McGrath.

Edited by LucidLucifer

Mine was this:

Schmeichel

Neville Stam Terry Irwin

Cantona Van Nistelrooy

Pretty much same as mine but for ferdinand for terry, henry for van nistelrooy.

Cantona! Not a chance as far as i'm concerned

agree. i'll get accused of club bias but it isn't - most overrated player i've ever seen in the premier league. pisspoor in europe, kicked out of france for being a dick, a star in a league in its infancy surrounded by some truly average players at other clubs. never remotely in the same class as henry or bergkamp.

a star in a league in its infancy surrounded by some truly average players at other clubs. never remotely in the same class as henry or bergkamp.

Really, you make it sound as if the old first division was some sort of an amateur league. If you want to measure greatness by the lasting impact a player has on a club, then Cantona is undoubtedly right up there. He was one of the catalysts for creating the Man Utd we know and hate today.

a star in a league in its infancy surrounded by some truly average players at other clubs. never remotely in the same class as henry or bergkamp.

Really, you make it sound as if the old first division was some sort of an amateur league. If you want to measure greatness by the lasting impact a player has on a club, then Cantona is undoubtedly right up there. He was one of the catalysts for creating the Man Utd we know and hate today.

Yep stevie is a one eyed scouser, would love for him to post his team, i am sure half would be liverpool players.

Yep stevie is a one eyed scouser, would love for him to post his team, i am sure half would be liverpool players.

i'll do it tomorrow nev but i expect about half will be mancs. schmeichel, keane, giggs, stam would certainly be in it.

Yes, i'd kind of worked out already that most of the posters on here are too blinded by club bias and prejudice to be objective.

Right back is nigh on impossible. My argument against Desailly is that he came to the premiership for a big payday at the back end of his career. Yes he was still excellent, but he was not in his peak prime. If we want to include players like that, lets through Ruud Gullit into the mix. Why isn't he on the list?

Right back is nigh on impossible. My argument against Desailly is that he came to the premiership for a big payday at the back end of his career. Yes he was still excellent, but he was not in his peak prime. If we want to include players like that, lets through Ruud Gullit into the mix. Why isn't he on the list?

harsh that. he moved to england in 98 having just won the world cup with france and continued to play for another six years. hardly a retirement package.

I've gone for Schmeical Cole Desailly Stam Neville Giggs Scholes Keane Ronaldo Henry Berkamp.

Cole over Irwin was tough but i just think that Cole possessed that extra attacking edge and was to my reckoning the best left back in the world for some time.

neville was very lacking in natural talent but is the complete model profeesional for kids to aspire too and ofcourse a rat faces retard.