20 Years ....The Premiership Nostalgia

MrRed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice there is no place for the Leeds Utd CL nearly men! biggrin.png

Maybe not but that was a really good side.

What i don't miss is David O'Leary bleating on about his "young side." That bloke was a right nause.

Yes they had some talented players there....sadly most of them turned out to be "nearly" men didn't they?

every bit of me that loves football and gifted geniuses wants to find a place in the side for matt le tissier. hard though.

100% on that. If he's just put aside club loyalty for a couple of seasons what a mark he could have left playing in one of the bigger teams.

Best English penalty taker ever?

But why should he have had to leave Southampton? No shame in wanting only to play for the club you love and supported all your life. I think Le Tissier worked out early on that, for him, it wasn't necessarily about winning medals and playing for big clubs. It was about the love of playing the game, he was that rare professional who cared less about how much he earned and more about the club he loved. Spent 30 minutes or so last night on youtube watching some videos of him in action. A ridiculous talent, some of his goals made Gazza's one against Scotland look like a tap in! For me the most naturally gifted player the UK has ever produced. The only player i have seen where the opposition supporters regularly applauded his goals. I saw him tear Liverpool apart once, at a time when they were top dogs, the Scousers were applauding him,( Mind you, Scousers do love and appreciate good football)! Over 100 goals in the Premiership from midfield, during one 18 month period the most prolific scorer in the Prem. But only eight caps, the powers that be in the England set up should be impeached for negligence! Look at the competition he was up against, the mighty Rob Lee 20 odd caps, "Donkey Dennis Wise" 30 odd caps, Le Tissier was twice the footballer they would ever be. In a recent interview, Xavi cited Le Tissier as his inspiration when he was young, and revealed that Barcelona sometimes watch videos of him in the changing room. And yes, for sure the best penalty taker, after missing his first, scored fifty in a row, will surely never be matched. A genuine one club man who played for the love of the shirt. Utterly symbolic of everything that is great about the game of football.
  • Like 2