Gourmet Market At Siam Paragon

Blake7

Just returned from food shopping at Paragon - the "Gourmet Market" is absolutely fantastic.

For starters my quest for the holy grail - Ribena - was accomplished and I also found all sorts of other yummy treats.

Big jar of Vegemite for our colonial cousins - 350 baht

real kobe beef steaks - 1000 bt a 100g (look absolutely top notch - nicely marbled) will grill them tonight

great selection of sausages - I bought honey and marjoram Oz lamb ones as well as Lincolnshire

New York T bone steaks

all the cheeses you can shake a stick at - I got some dolcelatte, brie, chaume etc to go with the port at tommorrows christmas party

nice breads

lots of cold cuts

Just returned from food shopping at Paragon - the "Gourmet Market" is absolutely fantastic.

For starters my quest for the holy grail - Ribena - was accomplished and I also found all sorts of other yummy treats.

Big jar of Vegemite for our colonial cousins - 350 baht

real kobe beef steaks - 1000 bt a 100g (look absolutely top notch - nicely marbled) will grill them tonight

great selection of sausages - I bought honey and marjoram Oz lamb ones as well as Lincolnshire

New York T bone steaks

all the cheeses you can shake a stick at - I got some dolcelatte, brie, chaume etc to go with the port at tommorrows christmas party

nice breads

lots of cold cuts

How big is this market? like how many shops etc?

Guys - its like a proper supermarket but everything is top notch. Therefore you have your meat counters, cheese counters etc as well as the stacked shelves. It is not really a market in that sense of the word.

Yeah good bread! I bought brown and a french bagette! the real deal!

The supermarket is almost Tesco Lotus size. Qute an impressive place, been there today. The Emporium will have to compete very hard.

At the top floor, Baby & kids section is probably bigger than a whole floor at the Emporium. Hope they remain well stocked after this initial period.

Thumbs up, no reason to be shy of Tokyo's department stores.

Well done, Bangkok.

Just who can afford to shop there?

Ms. B and I were there last week and the first object we priced was a very plain coffee mug, distinguished mainly by the fact that in lieu of a handle it had two fabric grip pads glued to the side. Price? 900 Baht. You can get one just like it (except with a handle) at the Korat Save-One flea market for 15 baht.

I was browsing the Paragon before the ill-fated TV Christmas pissup, looking for a scarf for Ms. B. The cheapest one I saw was 4K baht. Picked up a much nicer one at Central Chidlom for 900 baht.

After being there a couple of times my observation is that there are lots of browsers, plenty of diners in the fancy food court, and not very many money-spending shoppers.

By contrast, Central was doing bang-up business; most visitors exiting with a shopping bag or two as opposed to the empty handed browsers departing Paragon.

I must admit that I did buy a jar of peanut butter at the Paragon grocery store.

Of course, on my income I couldn't afford to visit there more often than once a year.

I thought it was much more superior - especially the meat sections

Where is the meat from? What brand do you know?

There was a Japanese gentleman shopping for beef tongues.

We both asked where the meat is coming from - it was all Thai beef. Nothing like Kings Island of Oz, nothing from Japan. Sukiyaki ready beef wa also Thai brand.

Still, satisfied with the choice.

The supermarket is almost Tesco Lotus size. Qute an impressive place, been there today. The Emporium will have to compete very hard.

Why would they compete? its the same people behind it!!

:o

Edited by Heng

I don't think so. I didn't have time much at the Siam Paragon as it's my first time to Thailand and Bangkok. But I'm really happy that I could find out this place. The supermarket is really big and I love the Gourmet market. Lots of delicious food. I bought some Nivea bathcare there for only 55 batht (while at Robinson still 59 batht). And I bought a jacket at FQL for 20% discount (while other mall it's still considered New Arrival).

Why would they compete? its the same people behind it!!

Well almost, the people who own the Siam Centre are partners in Paragon, but not in Emporium if I understand correctly.... and the biggest concern in retail for the retailers who are in Central, Paragon, Emporium etc is where the customers will come from; if they do end up cannabilising Emporium then that will be a very big problem for The Mall Group.

Ditto Siam Centre, which I see will be the loser of this whole thing.

Central Chitlom have also developed a fairly swish swanky food gourmet market as well; according to a recent celebrity chef visitor it is right up there - so for the gourmets out there, well worth a look and I'd be curious to know which is better (I am more a talard nut kind of guy, so I need to hear how the other half live) :o:D

I was there today and was quite impressed! However no one was buying anything....Top quality products and still lots of shops yet to be opened....I like the two lamborghinis' in the front....For Thailand to open such a High End retail Mall there must be a lot of wealthy people about....big contrast to the flip flop...singha singlet...beer bellied crowd of Pattaya...

I was there today and was quite impressed! However no one was buying anything....Top quality products and still lots of shops yet to be opened....I like the two lamborghinis' in the front....For Thailand to open such a High End retail Mall there must be a lot of wealthy people about....big contrast to the flip flop...singha singlet...beer bellied crowd of Pattaya...

... or they hope so .