New Passport - Transfer Stamp From Old Passport

When I got my replacement passport last year, Phuket immigration office told me there was no need to transfer the stamps to the new passport and they would 'sort everything out' at the border next time I left Thailand.

The next time I actually left I went via Nong Khai with a visa company who insisted I get the stamps swapped over beforehand as they had, in the past many instances of a lazy immigration officer at the border refusing to accept the (new) passport as it didn't have the stamps swapped over - and as the visa company (rightly) said, do you want to take that gamble also - because if the immigration officer at the border is having a bad day - you will simply get sent back to Bangkok (where I was living at the time) to get the stamps changed over. Far better to do it beforehand for peace of mind.

When it came to it - nobody wanted to do (as in Phuket) I guess it was too much 'work' for no money. Failed in Bangkok and eventually the Jomtien guys did it for me (with a tip).

I would not like to make that gamble again at the border.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a 30 day tourist visa in my old passport that expires on 9Th may. In the meantime I have been to the embassy to apply for a new passport and have already got it(it was almost full). I am leaving Thailand tomorrow and just want to make sure that I will not have any problems at immigration at the airport If I show my old passport with the entry date and valid visa and my new passport. Or am I taking a risk here? and should I make the trip to the immigration office to transfer my old visa entry.

appreciate any advice

Current reports indicate that you should be fine when you are on a visa entry, like you are, and not on an extension of stay.

But do check-in early, as it takes a bit of extra time. If you leave during rush hour at the airport, it might be better to go to an immigration office. But no sure about current outbound lines at immigration.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up to transferring visa stamps from old to new passport.

1. If the Extension of stay /multiple re entry was issued at Immigration office must do there.

2. Today I went to Chang Wattana to do just that. As my extension of stay (Non Immigrant O) is based on retirement had to see an officer in Non O Immigrant /Retirement section. 5 1/2 hours wait (including lunch hour). 5 minutes with Officer

3. I was then directed to Multiple re entry section to have that stamp transferred with the simple instruction "go to C2 counter) Queue numbers were no longer being given due to lateness in day. Finally caught an officers eye who took my passports.

4. Total time at immigration 7 hours. Granted this was one day after a holiday and the day preceding that was also after a holiday.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

As much as I understand, in case of multi entry visa they just transfer the current authorization of stay in the new passport, but it is not an obligation to do it at CHAEG WATTANA immigration in Bangkok, right ? And they don't do it at Pattaya Jomtien immigration ?

We can just transfer the stamp to the new passport when leaving the country at airport or land border ?

Thanks for confirmation.

Only if you are on a non immigrant extension of stay is transfer of paperwork done at local immigration office now. For multi entry visas you exit showing both passports and it is taken care of then. If visa is still valid you will present both passports to use for new entry.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a related, but not exactly similar, issue.

- My passport expires in October this year; and

- My non-immigrant B visa initially is supposed to expire in January of the next year; and

- Because my passport expires in October, they manually crossed the January date on the visa and wrote the same date as the October visa; and

- I renewed my passport and just received the new one.

My question is: is there a way to present my new passport and to get a new stamp or something else (manually crossing the date and rewriting January) in order to get my visa to be valid until January as it was initially supposed to be?

Many thanks!

Who is "they"? You must be talking about an extension of stay from Immigration? - the correction is done during the visit to immigration to transfer stamps to new passport. This must be done at immigration for anyone on an extension of stay and when they do the new stamp will reflect the full extension until January.

If you are actually talking about a Consulate issued visa there is no way to change that and it should never have been issued into an expiring passport.

Who is "they"? You must be talking about an extension of stay from Immigration? - the correction is done during the visit to immigration to transfer stamps to new passport. This must be done at immigration for anyone on an extension of stay and when they do the new stamp will reflect the full extension until January.

If you are actually talking about a Consulate issued visa there is no way to change that and it should never have been issued into an expiring passport.

Thank you for the very fast response.

"They" refers to the immigration office in Chaeng Wattana.

I had a previous 1 year visa and I went back to the Chaeng Wattana Office to get a new one year visa before the old visa expired (I guess this means it was extended?). The immigration office stamped January, then crossed it manually to write by hand October, and since then every time I cross the border the border officers stamp October.

That is called an extension of stay - it is not a visa. So you will be fine when making transfer into new passport the January date will be entered.

That's great. For once I might almost be looking forward to my trip to Chaeng Wattana.

Thank you very much for the valuable information.

• 6 months later...

I have a tricky situation.

I'm waiting to get my new UK passport from Hong Kong in the next week or 2.

I'm on Imm-O but my current stamp is expiring on March 9th.

What happened if I will receive my new passport after that date?

Should I still show up at Changwattana?

I'm going back to UK at the end of March, can I just show up at the airport with both passports and pay the fine even though I have no stamps in the new passport?

I don't know what type of stamp you are talking about. If it is an extension of stay, get your new extension now in your old passport and when you get your new passport, have it transferred to the new passport.

Going to CW is of no use without a valid passport. If your passport arrives too late, you will simply be on overstay at 500 baht a day.

If your old passport is still valid and has space, extend on that one if you have an extension of stay.

If on an extension of stay it is best to follow Maestro's advise and visit CW-road to have things transferred to the new passport.

Hello. If it might be of assistance to anyone :

I entered Laos at Chong Mek at the beginning of this Month, with an old passport (out of pages) containing a valid tourist visa that I had stamped for extension of stay in Thailand + a brand new passport.

I explained to the official at the border (in Thai), and they just stamped me out with a normal, small exit stamp, and a tiny hand written reference to old passport underneath that stamp - no waiting, transfer of anything, waste of pages, fuss or payment.

Easy.

As far as I am aware, immigration is the same all over the Country, and all have equal authority and the ability to afford travellers this service.

I should imagine it would be illegal for them to refuse to do so - especially if they were 'having a bad day'. (I could be wrong, obviously)

Good day everyone, and happy travels.

I entered Laos at Chong Mek at the beginning of this Month, with an old passport (out of pages) containing a valid tourist visa that I had stamped for extension of stay in Thailand + a brand new passport.

I explained to the official at the border (in Thai), and they just stamped me out with a normal, small exit stamp, and a tiny hand written reference to old passport underneath that stamp - no waiting, transfer of anything, waste of pages, fuss or payment.

Easy.

As far as I am aware, immigration is the same all over the Country, and all have equal authority and the ability to afford travellers this service.

I should imagine it would be illegal for them to refuse to do so - especially if they were 'having a bad day'. (I could be wrong, obviously)

There is a big difference between being on a visa entry like you were, and being on an extension of stay.

If you are on an extension of stay, you must go to your immigration office to do it. While immmigration at an airport sometimes does it, there is no guarantee they will do it, especially if it is bussy.

At land borders you don't have to catch an airplane, so there is less incentive for them to do it for you at the border.

I'm talking about the 3 months stamp i was given on my last entry.

Unfortunately I don't have any space left on my old passport to get an extension.

Is it paying the 500 per day fine my only option?

Would it be Ok to do that or may I have some problem?

Should i contact the immigration in CW anyway and explain them my situation?

Thanks

No sense to go to immigration, as if the passport is full they can't extend it. You will just have to pay the overstay fine.

Another option is to get an emergency passport from the embassy, so you can get an extension of stay if you qualify or at least an extra 7 days.

Easy.

There is a big difference between being on a visa entry like you were, and being on an extension of stay.

If you are on an extension of stay, you must go to your immigration office to do it. While immmigration at an airport sometimes does it, there is no guarantee they will do it, especially if it is bussy.

At land borders you don't have to catch an airplane, so there is less incentive for them to do it for you at the border.

Hey man - I'm sure you are quite correct, if you want to clearly differentiate between non immigrant and tourist visas - extention of stay is a generic term used for both.

The way you are wording things could be slightly confusing, or misconstrued.

I was just offering up my tuppence worth based on experience, should anyone find themselves in a similar predicament with similar credentials (Read my original post) - the starter of the thread for instance, with his original question....

seems to vary by region (?)

My experience today with old/new passports

Received my new passport, went in to the local (Chanthaburi) Immigration Office, told they do not do transfers to new passports but to go to one of the land border crossings.

As I was in that general area today headed to Ban Pakkard one of the crossings with Cambodia.

Explained my situation - told '200 baht' and then given a form to sign when the person at the counter had written in details from old and new passports, and taken photocopies of both.

A half page stamp in old passport detailing new passport info.

A full page of stamps in new passport - which listed previous passport number and current visa expiry.

Some computer wizardry as presume they updated info.

Took her about 15 minutes in all, smiles all round, and I was off home.

No waiting, very efficient I thought - had visions of getting the run-around..

As for the 200 baht. Maybe it was a donation. An earlier post suggested no charge.

Not worried about it, about as pain-free as dealing with a govt organisation can be.

___

and as an added extra, free entertainment from a French man about 35 who refused to pay an overstay in rather loud tones, 15 January was the applicable date. He stepped back from the counter, grabbed his crotch and made (described politely) a rude pelvic gesture at the female immigration officer. I suspect he will be in their company a while, I got away quickly and didn't see the outcome.

• Like 1

There is no fee for transfer and the fact that one doesn't get a receipt is often quite telling.

As for the French gentleman, he is probably finding out that insulting a civil servant performing his/her duties carries a jailterm not exceeding 2 years and/or a fine of 10,000 baht (Can also be 20,000 baht, not bothered to look it up).

That is next to the overstay.

Hope he didn't resist arrest.

• Like 1

Two passports, old cancelled and had tourist visa entry stamp in that, no extension. Nong Khai border today, officer didn't stamp me out, have to go Nong Khai immigration for transfer stamp to new passport. There they wanted embassy letter and 20b for "copymoney". They copied embassy letter and gave that copy to me :) Ok, they copied both passports too for them.

• Like 1

Two passports, old cancelled and had tourist visa entry stamp in that, no extension. Nong Khai border today, officer didn't stamp me out, have to go Nong Khai immigration for transfer stamp to new passport. There they wanted embassy letter and 20b for "copymoney". They copied embassy letter and gave that copy to me smile.png Ok, they copied both passports too for them.

Strange as visas are not transferred to a new passport, only extensions of stay are normally transferred.

Believe he was talking about his entry stamp information being transferred - not a visa.

OK understandable.

But if he is on a visa he should be able to travel with his both passports. ( new one for his identity and old one for his visa )

If you have a valid visa you use both passports.

What they did was transfer the existing entry/permit to stay stamp into new passport.

I don't recall any reports for border crossing other than Nong Kai that send people to local immigration office there.