New Passport - Transfer Stamp From Old Passport

• 3 weeks later...

You can do the 30 day extension of stay for the 60 days you got from your tourist visa.(visas are not extended) either before or after you get the new passport. It makes no difference.

U sure?

On the phone she explained option if i get after getting new passport

They want recip from embassy whichbi throwed away. Xero every page in old passport photo and fee 1900.

I think would be easier if i extend it in old passport then go pick up new they will cancel old one that i keep.

Its okay to leave thailand showing old passport that is canceled with stapms..

Go to laos and apply for new double visa with new passport?

Sort of speaking...

Thx

Yes, it is neither policy or law but that does not prevent some local Immigration stamp jockeys asking for the letter. Sheesh!

It is immigration policy there have been many reports of it being required. There have been recent reports of Bangkok immigration wanting it.

If you are using the correct version of internet explorer you can go to this webpage http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service and click the box next to "Other services" and then the box next to Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport". and you will see the letter is listed there.

I dont transfer tourist visa.

I want extend it. 30 days

Before getting new passport or after

You can do the 30 day extension of stay for the 60 days you got from your tourist visa.(visas are not extended) either before or after you get the new passport. It makes no difference.

U sure?

On the phone she explained option if i get after getting new passport

They want recip from embassy whichbi throwed away. Xero every page in old passport photo and fee 1900.

I think would be easier if i extend it in old passport then go pick up new they will cancel old one that i keep.

Its okay to leave thailand showing old passport that is canceled with stapms..

Go to laos and apply for new double visa with new passport?

Sort of speaking...

Thx

There is no fee for transfer the stamps to the new passport. the 1900 baht mentioned would be for getting the extension.

You have been told before that you needed a letter from your embassy to do the stamp transfer. Some offices will accept the receipt that you trashed instead of the letter.

You don't need copies of every page of your old passport. Just the photo page, visa and entry/permit to stay stamp.

They don't transfer visas. They make an annotation of it in the new passport with details of your entry using it.

I went today to jomtien immigration and asked guy by deck in uniform. He said i can extend it in old passport for 30 days then go bkk pick up new so they cancel old one. Keep it both and i think he ment i dont need transfer anything but just use 2 passport at airport. Is that correct. His english was not perfect and he was usual officer not in mood for talks....

After 30 days i want go laos to apply tof turist visa. I be okay to go with 2 passports?

One canceled one new

Or he ment after canceling old one come and transfer stamp. Thats got to be done?

Btw.

I founded recip...

Edited by mataleo

I am British ( but certainly not proud of the fact ) I recently took my old passport and my new passport to the immigration office in jomtien ( very pleasant people may i add ) and all my old stamps were transfered to my new passport at " no charge " .

Both is possible.

You can either get the extension in the old passport, if you get it before you get the new passport and leave with showing both new and old passport.

Or you go to immigraiton with the new passport and have the deatils transferred and get the extension in the new passport.

Both is possible.

You can either get the extension in the old passport, if you get it before you get the new passport and leave with showing both new and old passport.

Or you go to immigraiton with the new passport and have the deatils transferred and get the extension in the new passport.

That 1 option is good.

Just leave with 2 passports.

Dont transfer anything. Waste of space.

2 passports on any border be fine?

I be going to laos.

It will be the same space in your passport wherever you do it. They still move the stamps.

In Nong Kai they send you to the local immigration office there to get you stamps transferred. They don't do it at the bridge.

It will be the same space in your passport wherever you do it. They still move the stamps.

In Nong Kai they send you to the local immigration office there to get you stamps transferred. They don't do it at the bridge.

Ohh really

Even its used stamp expired never be use again..

So thats more trouble isnt it

Local immigration? Like going somewhere far? Or borders got immigration offices ?

So i guess to be safe better transfer it in jomtien before leaving thailand..

Thank you guys for all help... u top

Edited by mataleo

Nong Kai is the only place the sends you to the immigration office that is not very far from the bridge.

They don't transfer the visa sticker. It is just a stamp that they put your visa and entry info on. Less than half a page for everything.

It would be best to get it done in Jomtien.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If I leave Thailand via the Mukdahan bridge into Laos, will i need a letter from the UK embassy ? I will call Mukdahan immigration in the next week, maybe i could drop in there first.

I have a 90 day non-O that has been extended for 1,900B at my local immigration office.

Last time, I received a passport directly from Hong Kong, I took it directly to the Malay border and the immigration officer took an hour or two to question me and check the passport.

Rather than spend the night in Bangkok, and visiting the embassy before 11.00 AM the next day, I would prefer to be en route / in Laos.

Can anyone confirm either way, I'm trying to organise a string of flights to get me from Hat Yai to Savannakhet and back without wasting too much time, I'm sure its going to take over a week to accomplish. Any help would be gratefully received.

Since you don't have one year extension of stay you can to it a the bridge in Mukdahan on departure. They will not ask for the letter. They will just move your current permit to stay stamp to the new passport and stamp you out in it.

• 2 months later...

Searched all the topics but didn't see this one.

My old passport ran out of pages with my retirement visa valid until 30 December 2014, issued in Phuket. Came back to Thailand with old and new passport, no entry problems all stamps etc. placed in the old passport.

Went to Immigration to day in Sri Racha and they informed me that the transfer from the old passport to the new passport had to take place in Phuket. Never heard, never read about this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

My old passport ran out of pages with my retirement visa valid until 30 December 2014, issued in Phuket. Came back to Thailand with old and new passport, no entry problems all stamps etc. placed in the old passport.

Went to Immigration to day in Sri Racha and they informed me that the transfer from the old passport to the new passport had to take place in Phuket. Never heard, never read about this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I assume that it was actually an extension of stay with which you were issued rather than a visa! And because it was issued in Phuket that is where the stamps transfer would normally have to take place.

That said, when did you move from Phuket to Sri Racha? Have you submitted a completed change of address form (TM28) and/or any 90-day reports at Sri Racha yet?

Thanks in advance.

I assume that it was actually an extension of stay with which you were issued rather than a visa! And because it was issued in Phuket that is where the stamps transfer would normally have to take place.

That said, when did you move from Phuket to Sri Racha? Have you submitted a completed change of address form (TM28) and/or any 90-day reports at Sri Racha yet?

I tried to be as precise as possible in my write up. It's a pure transfer. I entered Thailand 14 October and got a entry visa valid until 31 December. I didn't submit T28, because I was informed it was not necessary. I left before the 90 days, after having done one in Phuket.

I tried to be as precise as possible in my write up. It's a pure transfer. I entered Thailand 14 October and got a entry visa valid until 31 December. I didn't submit T28, because I was informed it was not necessary. I left before the 90 days, after having done one in Phuket.

Evidently immigration was not aware you have moved.

You should complete a TM28 form and go back to have your stamps transferred if you are going to be living within Sri Racha immigration's area of responsibility. TM28 download http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

Transfer stamps form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/changenewpassport.pdf

When you are on extensions of stay the only thing you can do at immigration offices other than the one where you got your extension is 90 day reports when traveling around the country.

Well, the fact remains, Immigration offices are not allowed to transfer retirement visas to new passports. Only the issuing office ( in my case Phuket) can transfer the visa to the new passport. Went to Immigration in Chaeng Watthana and received this confirmation. Ouch, pretty complicated and expensive transfer. w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

I work in Bangkok but live in Samut Prakan. Is it possible for me to go to the immigration office in Pak Nam (Samut Prakan) to transfer relevant information to my new passport? (Passport was issued in Sweden, and I already have the required document for transfer from my embassy).

The last extension was obtained at Chaeng Wattana, but it would be very nice to be able to go to Pak Nam instead. They want proof of residence in Samut Prakan when I am there doing my 90 day report or requesting re-entry permits. I will then show them my work permit, utility bills are not accepted though.

Will I have any problems showing up at this office for the stamp transfer?

Edited by Bertil

I finally made the trip to Phuket and got it all transferred. But what an ordeal. Was number 1 in line, the officer did all the paperwork, while I was there and put the passport in his drawer and asked me to come back 2:30 pm. 3 o'clock after asking politely, he opened the drawer and handed me the passport with a smile.

• 2 months later...

Plenty of threads on this so I won't start a new one.

Rules change all the time so I just want to know if everything is still the same regarding the transfer of an extension of stay to a new passport. I need to renew my extension in a nearly full passport with two years to run. I'll get a new one in the UK a couple of months after this. I assume as long as I have a re-entry permit and extension of stay stamp in the old passport I will get back into Thailand as long as I show both passports unless anyone says differently. I'll then have the stamps transferred at Phuket immigration office. Do I need the Embassy letter stating it's a new passport? Can this be issued at the London passport office does anyone know or does it have to be in Bangkok?

Also something I haven't seen mentioned: is a multi-entry re-entry permit also transferred?

Phuket;

hahhaha , i went yesterday to change stamps, number 2 in at 8:35, took all of 5 minutes and

he told me come back after 4:30

i asked about monday anytime? he said after 2:30

What surprised me is i had to have copies of EVERY extension in the old passport.

Need embassy letter and also Immigration application to transfer stamps

The vol told me there is no need to do the transfer an just use both passports until your extension is due an they will do the transfer an new extension at the same time,

If i had known that i would not have gotten up so early but since i was already there.......

• Like 1

Rules change all the time so I just want to know if everything is still the same regarding the transfer of an extension of stay to a new passport. I need to renew my extension in a nearly full passport with two years to run. I'll get a new one in the UK a couple of months after this. I assume as long as I have a re-entry permit and extension of stay stamp in the old passport I will get back into Thailand as long as I show both passports unless anyone says differently. I'll then have the stamps transferred at Phuket immigration office. Do I need the Embassy letter stating it's a new passport? Can this be issued at the London passport office does anyone know or does it have to be in Bangkok?

Also something I haven't seen mentioned: is a multi-entry re-entry permit also transferred?

udonjoe your help is required.

I am under the impression that the immigration department will no longer transfer 12 month extension

stamps from old passports to new and that you can only obtain a new extension to the date of expiry of

your current passport, can you please confirm this?

Also can you shed some light on what will ensue in the case of madmitch above and what is his best

way to proceed in his situation?

phuketjock......................................................thumbsup.gif

udonjoe your help is required.

I am under the impression that the immigration department will no longer transfer 12 month extension

stamps from old passports to new and that you can only obtain a new extension to the date of expiry of

your current passport, can you please confirm this?

Also can you shed some light on what will ensue in the case of madmitch above and what is his best

way to proceed in his situation?

phuketjock......................................................thumbsup.gif

If you have less than a year remaining on your passport when apply for an extension the extension will only be done to the date your passport expires,

When you get a new passport they will transfer the shortened extension and a re-entry permit if you have one. Then before the shortened extension runs out you have to apply for a new one year extension. You would need all the required documents including financial proof.to apply for it.

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

If you get a new passport outside the country you use both passports for entry to the country to show your re-entry permit in the old one. They will stamp the entry/permit to stay stamp in your new passport. Then you go to immigration to have your stamps transferred.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm going to get a new passport (page number is very low) and will be leaving my job about 2 weeks after that. I am currently on an extension of stay - non imm B. working in Bangkok. Can i leave the country (to get a tourist visa) without any transfers, getting an exit stamp on my new passport? Once i am no longer employed the extension is void after 24 hours anyway , correct? Would there be any problem exiting? Thank you

Hello, I'm going to get a new passport (page number is very low) and will be leaving my job about 2 weeks after that. I am currently on an extension of stay - non imm B. working in Bangkok. Can i leave the country (to get a tourist visa) without any transfers, getting an exit stamp on my new passport? Once i am no longer employed the extension is void after 24 hours anyway , correct? Would there be any problem exiting? Thank you

Your permission to stay will be void the same day you are no longer employed.

You will have to transfer the stamps to a new passport, since you are on an extension of stay. (get a letter from your embassy regarding the new passport).

Normally no problem just exiting, but if you want to find a new job in Thailand do cancel the work permit at the labour office.

Immigration at Nong Kai can ask you why you leave without a re-entry stamp and send you back to cancel your permission to stay.

• Like 1

Your permission to stay will be void the same day you are no longer employed.

You will have to transfer the stamps to a new passport, since you are on an extension of stay. (get a letter from your embassy regarding the new passport).

Normally no problem just exiting, but if you want to find a new job in Thailand do cancel the work permit at the labour office.

Immigration at Nong Kai can ask you why you leave without a re-entry stamp and send you back to cancel your permission to stay.

Thanks Mario,

Does the letter from the embassy have to state anything in specific? and must I cancel the WP myself, or can I get my employer to do that?

thanks again