I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

Ha ha! A very good vid, there - and plenty of good ideas about how to get the message across and how to lessen the chances of the kids getting bored - excellent! I'll certainly look for any other vids iike this one. clap2.gif

Mind you, I'm not too sure a t-shirt on a teacher would go down too well at many schools in Thailand.......biggrin.png

Thanks

Splod

Yeah !! avoid the yellow shirts and the red shirts. laugh.png

Haven't found many better than this, there doesn't seem to be any Thai ones explaining as much.

http://genkienglish.net/Warmup.htm

http://www.english-4kids.com/

there are many on youtube.

Edited by Kwasaki

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'll take a look!

We (in our group) seem to be having difficulties ascertaining the amount of working hours for this new 10,000B program.

We have seen on this thread that various people have signed up for 6 hours a week, but we can't find any place that states EXACTLY how many hours are required (or a minimum, maximum). Even the Thai MoE website appears not to have any info (at all!).

Can anyone point us to a site, webpage, document or anything at all, that actually specifies the amount of hours?

Cheers - and thanks

Splod

Thanks, I'll take a look!

We (in our group) seem to be having difficulties ascertaining the amount of working hours for this new 10,000B program.

We have seen on this thread that various people have signed up for 6 hours a week, but we can't find any place that states EXACTLY how many hours are required (or a minimum, maximum). Even the Thai MoE website appears not to have any info (at all!).

Can anyone point us to a site, webpage, document or anything at all, that actually specifies the amount of hours?

Cheers - and thanks

Splod

I doubt if there is any info or web-page it's just a new thing dreamed up this year because Thailand is way behind other Asian countries in teaching English in their schools, that's how I understand it anyway.

As for 10,000 bht program, I was asked to help with a school offering part time teaching at 10,000 bht per month for taking 6 lessons at 1 hour periods and in doing so, will be assisting a Thai English teacher. whistling.gif as 'Scott' has pointed out.

My take on it with the help of my Thai teacher friend, when I was at the meeting what they said is " It's 10,000 bht per month for 6 one hour class periods per week about 400bht an hour.biggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

They then asked me to choose which days I wanted to work by showing me a English time table which I did, I am still waiting to hear back for a first week start of 15th May for 3 hours and 17th May for 3 hours.

The Grey area for me is the 5 week months. blink.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Well, I can't say that I was really expecting anyone to suddenly jump up and tell us that we could find all the relevant info on such-and-such a webpage or document......whistling.gif .......but you never know.......

Hmmm...I'm getting news that there won't be any confirmation of employment sent out until 15th of May, at the earliest. BUT, please don't rely too much on my utterings, as I'm only passing on what I'm being told - and as I'm being told it, so things can probably change from day to day. I expect much of the info is really just hearsay or the usual 'misinformation'...

I'm also informed that absolutely no-one is allowed to start work until all their official documents are properly in place, which could mean actually starting to work well after the new school term begins - at least for some people!

And, yes, it seems to be the thing to persuade people to sign up for the program - and then just leave them totally in the dark after that, without any feedback whatsoever. Still, that could just be the "normal" procedure of things in this country - and perhaps nothing to worry about, but who knows?

In our area, the teaching contract is said to be only for 4 months! As yet there's no answer to the question of what happens after the 4 months are up. The government subsidy apparently stops in/after September.

Lastly, I'm slightly "confused" as to whether signing up for this program will have any effect on my current visa status. I'm on a retirement visa and I currently don't feel at all sure as to whether a work permit will be needed/supplied - or if my retirement visa status just continues as it always has - and that the visa renewal process will be the same as it is every year... Unfortunately, there seems to be little or no proper information to be gathered (that I know of, at least) - and I'd dread the thought of getting on the wrong side of Immigration, just because somebody in another government office neglected to give the correct information.

As far as I'm aware, you cannot have a retirement/marriage visa and do any form of work! blink.png

Thanks biggrin.png

Splod

PS Been kept busy with other things, so haven't yet had time to look at the other vid links!!

As far as I'm aware, you cannot have a retirement/marriage visa and do any form of work! blink.png

Thanks biggrin.png

Splod

PS Been kept busy with other things, so haven't yet had time to look at the other vid links!!

I do know 2 people that have worked 1 with a 1 year retirement extension and the other with a 1 year marriage extension.

You need a non immigrate visa before you can get either of the above and this also applies to a work permit.

The fact as I'm told is the reason you have a 1 year extension to stay, means they can issue you with a work permit, you don't need to get a non-immigrate visa because you affectively already have one.

When someone has a work permit issued for 1 year it enable them to stay in Thailand, whether they have to do the 90 day reporting or not. I do not know.

The different between the two situations is if you get the sack or ask to leave biggrin.png with a work permit you only have 7 days to go out of Thailand and re-enter if the non-immigrate visa you got to get the work permit with has run out.

With a retirement or marriage 1 year extensions you wouldn't have to worry about getting the bullet. laugh.png

When or if I get a work permit I will still renew my 1 year extension to stay in June.

I stand to be corrected but that is what I have been told and my understanding of these situations.

Edited by Kwasaki

Curious has anyone heard back with official confirmation they have the job? As @Kwasaki says its only 2 weeks till kickoff.

Seeing as people are kindly posting teaching aids thought I would share this one I received from a friend in the UK.

http://jollylearning...-jolly-phonics/

Para

That's a nuver good vid with some idea's which you ain't gonna get from a Thai teacher. biggrin.png

Funny I asked last night about the level of English, age range from 11 years to 16 years, 1/1 - 1/2 alphabet & writing.....2/1 - 2/2 alphabet, vowels & writing.....3/1 - 3/2 alphabet, vowels, writing & Hello, goodbye and a song. blink.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Funny I asked last night about the level of English, age range from 11 years to 16 years, 1/1 - 1/2 alphabet & writing.....2/1 - 2/2 alphabet, vowels & writing.....3/1 - 3/2 alphabet,

Alright Kwasaki please enlighten this old man as to what 1/1, 1/2, 2/1. 2/2.... ,means!

Funny I asked last night about the level of English, age range from 11 years to 16 years, 1/1 - 1/2 alphabet & writing.....2/1 - 2/2 alphabet, vowels & writing.....3/1 - 3/2 alphabet,

Alright Kwasaki please enlighten this old man as to what 1/1, 1/2, 2/1. 2/2.... ,means!

At this particular village school this is all the form classes through-out on there English time table, other schools may do it differently, 11year olds start 1/1 to 15year olds last year of school in 3/2 until there 16 year old.

This covers the 6 English classes and the 6 hours required, there are 18 English classes through-out the week.

I don't say I'm old but I would say I am not young.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Thanks for the input, Kwasaki! Always welcome, even the "unsure" things, as it helps us to get a clearer picture of what might be required - and (especially) what legal pitfalls could occur along the way. I have a mental picture of schools hiring willing farangs - and Immigration closely following behind and just as quickly deporting the same farangs for "illegally working".... w00t.gif

Knowing how government departments seldom work together, I'm quite sure Immigration would issue you with the normal yearly extension without batting an eyelid - presuming you have no new stamps or work papers in your passport, at the time.

And in June there ought not to be too much hassle about any work permit/retirement/marriage visa problems - though I don't doubt the hassle will turn up at some point if there aren't any clear written rules forthcoming along the way. You could, of course, ask Immigration while renewing your visa - but they just might not take kindly to knowing that you're actually working at the same time......whistling.gifblink.png

Ummm...I'd rather had the assumption that the Non-Immi Type O visa would have to be changed to a Type B visa if/when any work permit is involved - but what do I know - I've never before had any interest in "working" in Thailand.

Also, there's the case of (maybe) having to be issued with a Tax Number......which I'm totally unclear about.

The 4 month contract period seems to be a normal thing, after all - as apparently the Financial Year ends in September and the budget for the next 12 month period has to be officially approved by the government.

Do remember to let us know how your "extension of stay" renewal goes! smile.png

Thanks

Splod

Edited by CaptainSplod

In our area, the teaching contract is said to be only for 4 months! As yet there's no answer to the question of what happens after the 4 months are up. The government subsidy apparently stops in/after September.

I was told by the school its a 12 month contract but seems some here are on a 5 month rolling. As with most things Thai there are no set rules!

@Kwasaki Thanks for making that a little clearer for me.....

Thanks for the input, Kwasaki! Always welcome, even the "unsure" things, as it helps us to get a clearer picture of what might be required - and (especially) what legal pitfalls could occur along the way. I have a mental picture of schools hiring willing farangs - and Immigration closely following behind and just as quickly deporting the same farangs for "illegally working".... w00t.gif

Knowing how government departments seldom work together, I'm quite sure Immigration would issue you with the normal yearly extension without batting an eyelid - presuming you have no new stamps or work papers in your passport, at the time.

And in June there ought not to be too much hassle about any work permit/retirement/marriage visa problems - though I don't doubt the hassle will turn up at some point if there aren't any clear written rules forthcoming along the way. You could, of course, ask Immigration while renewing your visa - but they just might not take kindly to knowing that you're actually working at the same time......whistling.gifblink.png

Ummm...I'd rather had the assumption that the Non-Immi Type O visa would have to be changed to a Type B visa if/when any work permit is involved - but what do I know - I've never before had any interest in "working" in Thailand.

Also, there's the case of (maybe) having to be issued with a Tax Number......which I'm totally unclear about.

The 4 month contract period seems to be a normal thing, after all - as apparently the Financial Year ends in September and the budget for the next 12 month period has to be officially approved by the government.

Thanks

Splod

You may be right in your concerns because this site

http://uk.siam-legal.com/Thailand-Marriage-Visa-for-UK-Citizens.php

it wrote that with a marriage extension you have the ability to apply for work permit.

It does not say the same for retirement, strange !! Maybe telephone call to their immigration office for those on retirement extensions and want to help with teaching is advisable. sad.png

Thanks

Splod

You may be right in your concerns because this site

http://uk.siam-legal...UK-Citizens.php

it wrote that with a marriage extension you have the ability to apply for work permit.

It does not say the same for retirement, strange !! Maybe telephone call to their immigration office for those on retirement extensions and want to help with teaching is advisable. sad.png

You can not work on a retirement visa, so you can't get a work permit. If the Thai government could get a clue, and understand that untapped potential they have in farang retirees that are willing to do volunteer work in the local village if they could simply create a path to obtain a work permit for volunteering on a Retirement Visa, they could obtain a lot of free help. Voluteering is definitely something retiree like to do. But -- TIT.

• Like 1

Agreed - it'd be nice for a lot of retirees, if they could volunteer to help out in the village, without all the fuss about work permits and whatnot - but "rules is rules" and I try to abide by the ones that I'm aware of. smile.png

Perhaps the government has plans to include retirees and/or married farangs into the new program in an easy way, that doesn't involve having to change visa status, leave the country or risk being "nabbed" by another government office. Let's face it, if things are made too difficult, then many farangs (myself included) just won't bother to jump through all the hoops - and will prefer to stay at home and let the schools "get on with it". sick.gif

Actually, I'm rather concerned that a lot of farangs will unwittingly end up doing something completely illegal, as a result of being given incomplete or wrong information from the people that ought to know the correct procedure - and that would be nothing less than a catastrophe. blink.png

As far as our little group goes, the Thais are still unsure of how the new program is supposed to work - and no farangs really know anything at all, apart from signing up for the program. Hopefully things will become clearer in the coming days - but don't hold yer breath, eh! rolleyes.gif

Just recently I turned down an offer of working at a school, when the head language teacher suggested that I "volunteered" to teach to "avoid" having to get a work permit. She was completely nonplussed when I told her that even volunteers (paid or unpaid) needed to have a work permit. Still, it's not the first time I've been asked to circumvent the rules, either. In the end it's yourself that has to ensure having the correct documentation - if the proverbial hits the fan then only you will be held responsible - not the school or anyone else.

Yes, one way would be to call Immigration and ask about teaching while on a retirement visa. However, I'm finicky and prefer to see things from a legal document, government notice or the like. A verbal OK - or not OK - from some bod at an Immigration Office is not my idea of having a legal leg to stand on, should things go wrong - sorry.

Saying that, I'd have no hesitation in contacting Immigration once I had what I thought was the necessary documentation - just to try and check whether anything else was needed. But then again, I'd probably contact other people, as well, just to double-check. thumbsup.gif

Thanks - and cheers

Splod

Unless the gov't has some exemption, which I think would be pretty public information, you CANNOT have a Work Permit while on a retirement visa. If you are on a non-O for marriage, then you can, as I understand it, get a work permit.

A lot of people do work illegally, but for those who are retired or on a marriage visa, there is a lot to be lost. Since this is a gov't sponsored program, I would be a little more hesitant to 'break the rules.' That however, is based on the assumption that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing!

Agreed - it'd be nice for a lot of retirees, if they could volunteer to help out in the village, without all the fuss about work permits and whatnot - but "rules is rules" and I try to abide by the ones that I'm aware of. smile.png

Perhaps the government has plans to include retirees and/or married farangs into the new program in an easy way, that doesn't involve having to change visa status, leave the country or risk being "nabbed" by another government office. Let's face it, if things are made too difficult, then many farangs (myself included) just won't bother to jump through all the hoops - and will prefer to stay at home and let the schools "get on with it". sick.gif

Actually, I'm rather concerned that a lot of farangs will unwittingly end up doing something completely illegal, as a result of being given incomplete or wrong information from the people that ought to know the correct procedure - and that would be nothing less than a catastrophe. blink.png

As far as our little group goes, the Thais are still unsure of how the new program is supposed to work - and no farangs really know anything at all, apart from signing up for the program. Hopefully things will become clearer in the coming days - but don't hold yer breath, eh! rolleyes.gif

Just recently I turned down an offer of working at a school, when the head language teacher suggested that I "volunteered" to teach to "avoid" having to get a work permit. She was completely nonplussed when I told her that even volunteers (paid or unpaid) needed to have a work permit. Still, it's not the first time I've been asked to circumvent the rules, either. In the end it's yourself that has to ensure having the correct documentation - if the proverbial hits the fan then only you will be held responsible - not the school or anyone else.

Yes, one way would be to call Immigration and ask about teaching while on a retirement visa. However, I'm finicky and prefer to see things from a legal document, government notice or the like. A verbal OK - or not OK - from some bod at an Immigration Office is not my idea of having a legal leg to stand on, should things go wrong - sorry.

Saying that, I'd have no hesitation in contacting Immigration once I had what I thought was the necessary documentation - just to try and check whether anything else was needed. But then again, I'd probably contact other people, as well, just to double-check. thumbsup.gif

Thanks - and cheers

Splod

Yeah, I'm expecting a lot of "wink wink nod nod" regarding documentation. I've been offered work and I handed the principal a letter written in Thai specifically saying that I would not start work without a WP and that I expected them to run the paperwork through MoL, and that it would embarrass me very much to find that they failed to obtain my WP by the first day of class when I show up <this farang is playing the "face" card>.. I also provided them with all the documentation they need to apply for a WP <and which they never asked for>. However.....as I told my wife, I fully expect to find on the first day of class that no work permit has been issued for me, and I'll be asked to be a good chap and start without one <wink wink nod nod>. I've bugged her about this enough that she finally blew up at me, "YES I KNOW, if you no have WP you no work on first day. It not like you ask them for job. I told that to leader many time. If you no have WP, we go home." That was good. At least the Thai I'm married too has the picture now! So that's pretty much the plan with me -- no WP, no work.

For those of you considering it, working without a work permit is a criminal offense:

5 years in jail

100K baht fine

Deportation

I know someone in the village that just got released from a 3 year jail term for possessing yaba. So working without a WP carries a stiffer penalty that being caught with drugs!

And for those of you who respond with, "Well, they never enforce these laws." Are you willing to bet any amount of time in a Thai jail on that? Would it be no big deal to be tossed out of the country? Really, up to you.

Edited by connda

Scott - a very good post, there! At the same time, I do get the impression that the government will have some form of exemption for retirees, backpackers - and practically anyone else interested in helping to teach.

The program is enormous and there are so many schools that just can't get a native farang. If the "normal" methods of processing the documentation for native farangs don't change, then it's my guess that it will be something of an impossible achievement to fulfill the program in any way.

Personally, I do expect that the government will accept farangs on the basis that they just have a

valid passport and no serious medical condition. Most passports can be cross-checked quite quickly with Immigration (well, in theory, at least!). rolleyes.gif

Connda - good on ya, mate! I'm sure many schools will try to persuade their coming native speakers to start before any proper paperwork arrives. Again, unless this quick-start procedure is "okayed" by the government, beforehand, then I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to start work until they have the necessary papers physically in their hands.

Again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a sort of general decree is issued okaying a premature start, as long as Kurusapa (or whoever) has given an accept to the native farang's application. If the procedure has to go the normal, long and slow road - then it could literally take months to get through the enormous pile of applications. Also, if WPs, changes of visa types, etc., all have to be issued one by one - then I seriously doubt that many schools will ever see their allocated native farang! biggrin.pngblink.png

Thanks - and don't forget to post if you hear any new news! thumbsup.gif

Splod

PS Connda - did you also agree on a 6 hour a week thing with the school - or are your hours different ?

Edited by CaptainSplod

Unless the gov't has some exemption, which I think would be pretty public information, you CANNOT have a Work Permit while on a retirement visa. If you are on a non-O for marriage, then you can, as I understand it, get a work permit.

A lot of people do work illegally, but for those who are retired or on a marriage visa, there is a lot to be lost. Since this is a gov't sponsored program, I would be a little more hesitant to 'break the rules.' That however, is based on the assumption that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing!

Enquiring about the retired chap I knew who I believe had a retirement extension, work for a school apparently for a while and never got his work permit so he ended up walking out.

I was unaware of work permit rules and I helped at a school for one day in 3 lessons last year and after saying do I not need a work permit to continue, the reply was no you are a guest. biggrin.png

My 1 year marriage extension is due for renewal 3rd June I always go a month or so before, so I will be going on the 7th or 8th May to Maesot immigration, I will hire some labour to load the paperwork into the car, while there I will explain the situation or rather my wife will smile.png and come back on TV with what the score is, personally I don't want to change my visa status if that is what's required.

Edited by Kwasaki

Great, Kwasaki!

I don't think appearing as a "guest" speaker at a school for one day (or even 2 or 3 times) would sound off any alarm bells anywhere (like at Immigration), although I suppose a work permit is really the best thing to have....whistling.gif

Likewise, I did consider offering to do a few lessons on and off (no particular day or time) at our local school, but dropped the idea again, as I was very unsure about what could happen if somebody took offence at the idea. Better safe than sorry, eh. I've just read on another forum about a guy asking where to report a teacher that he reckons is working without a WP...hmmm. ermm.gif

Well, good luck with your visit to Immi. Personally, I'm not too sure it's a good idea to talk to them about teaching, partly because I doubt that they will know anything at all (seeing as nobody else does!) - and partly because you may end up making things difficult for yourself.

Apart from that, I presume that you still don't know yet if your teaching application has been accepted or rejected by Kurusapa (or whoever) - so it's all rather theoretical at the moment.

Anyway, up to you (as they say) - and yes, please do give some feedback! wink.png

Cheers

Splod

Scott - a very good post, there! At the same time, I do get the impression that the government will have some form of exemption for retirees, backpackers - and practically anyone else interested in helping to teach.

The program is enormous and there are so many schools that just can't get a native farang. If the "normal" methods of processing the documentation for native farangs don't change, then it's my guess that it will be something of an impossible achievement to fulfill the program in any way.

Personally, I do expect that the government will accept farangs on the basis that they just have a

valid passport and no serious medical condition. Most passports can be cross-checked quite quickly with Immigration (well, in theory, at least!). rolleyes.gif

Connda - good on ya, mate! I'm sure many schools will try to persuade their coming native speakers to start before any proper paperwork arrives. Again, unless this quick-start procedure is "okayed" by the government, beforehand, then I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to start work until they have the necessary papers physically in their hands.

Again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a sort of general decree is issued okaying a premature start, as long as Kurusapa (or whoever) has given an accept to the native farang's application. If the procedure has to go the normal, long and slow road - then it could literally take months to get through the enormous pile of applications. Also, if WPs, changes of visa types, etc., all have to be issued one by one - then I seriously doubt that many schools will ever see their allocated native farang! biggrin.pngblink.png

Thanks - and don't forget to post if you hear any new news! thumbsup.gif

Splod

PS Connda - did you also agree on a 6 hour a week thing with the school - or are your hours different ?

They originally wanted 10 hours/wk. After viewing the posts here, I basically told them 6 hours. They went for it. I've also offered to run evening classes for teachers, which I've done in my previous employment. I'll do that for the enjoyment of it. The entire community will benefit more by me teaching teachers then they will by me teaching a group of P1 kids. So I told them 6 hours/wk in-class and I'll teach teachers 2 or 3 hours/wk. Up to them ;)

Anyway, up to you (as they say) - and yes, please do give some feedback! wink.png

Cheers

Splod

I am a bit fed up with no-one seemingly to know exactly what positions are, so I have just contacted the head Immigration Bureau in Bangkok asking directly what the position is on my situation.

Which is a marriage 1 year extension to stay, and is there any problems with a school applying for a work permit for me etc etc.

They will respond so they say ASAP with an email reply. K

Edited by Kwasaki

Hmm...that's very good, Connda! I've seen on another forum that there's talk of 5 hours a week (25 hours a month) but there's no link or mention of where the information comes from. I think 6 hours a week is the considered "norm".

As for myself, the Language Teacher of the school had said that she'd contact us last Monday (1st) to discuss the working hours - but seeing as that was Labour Day, no-one called and since then there's not been so much as a whisper from anybody. I presume they're now waiting to hear if my application is accepted before they'll bother to contact me again. As in your (and others) case, I'm quite expecting to hear them require anything from 10-15 hours a week at the first proper interview - but 6 hours will be my offer - take it or leave it.

Another curiosity is that I've been "booked" by 3 schools in all - although I've heard nothing from any of them - and I've actually made 3 sets of applications, duly signed and affixed with photos - all at the request of the Area Education Office (AEO), which I believe serves the schools in 4 amphurs around here.

I'm certainly not sure if it's actually "legal" to apply to work at more than one school - but at least the chief bod at the AEO seemed to think so. Due to the total lack of foreigners in this area, I've agreed (in principle) to split any hours between whichever schools that the AEO think necessary (they're all within a 9km radius) and I will let the schools decide how to allocate the hours.

Only one thing - 6 hours a week between 3 schools is certainly not a great deal - but I supoose there's always a chance that another farang or two will show up at some point. blink.png

Kwasaki - well done! I do hope you get a good (and responsive) reply to your query. Many are in the same situation as yourself, so I expect they'd be more than happy to know what Immi say about the matter. It could just be that queries like yours will help to set yet more wheels in motion, too, to make things that much more clear for us ordinary folk! biggrin.pngclap2.gif

Cheers

Splod

Oh - Just heard that our AEO are holding a mini-conference today about these issues. Hopefully, we'll soon get some proper feedback.......

Cheers

Splod

I am a bit fed up with no-one seemingly to know exactly what positions are, so I have just contacted the head Immigration Bureau in Bangkok asking directly what the position is on my situation.

Which is a marriage 1 year extension to stay, and is there any problems with a school applying for a work permit for me etc etc.

@K

Immigration does visas. The ministry of labor does work permits.

Because you have an extension based on marriage, you can legally work in Thailand, and you can legally apply for a work permit.

Once you have your marriage extension stamped in your passport, you can apply for the work permit. I told the school it was there responsibility to get this for me. However, they will need documents from you. This info is from Siam Legal:

• Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by employee.

• Non-Immigrant Visa

• Departure Card TM.6

• Education degree (signed copy) *

• Transcript (signed copy) *

• Certificates or licenses held by applicant (signed copy) *

• CV or Resume – describe in detail the applicant’s past positions, duties, performance, length and place of employment.

• Photos, three (3) in quantities which are 5 x 6 centimetres in size (not passport photos) with full face and taken wearing business attire (no hat and some jurisdictions require suit and tie). This must have been taken within six (6) months before the application for the Thai work permit.

• Marriage Certificate (if married to Thai National). This includes the original and signed photocopies. Also include wife’s Thai ID card, birth certificates of children, and household registration.

* Thai government officials may require these documents to be certified by your country’s embassy (this requires bringing your degree, resume, license or certificate to your embassy to declare it is a true and original document. You are required to pay an authentication fee to your embassy. In addition, they can require you to translate these documents into the Thai language from your foreign language.

EMPLOYER PROVIDED DOCUMENTS:

• Commercial Registration Department Certificate showing that the organization for which the applicant is going to work has been duly registered as a juristic person, giving the name of the Managing Director and/or Director, and its objections and registered capital.*

• Shareholders List certified by the Commercial Registration Department.*

• Factory License (if required) issued by Factory Department, Ministry of Industry.*

• VAT Certificate - Phor Phor 20*

• Withholding Tax – Phor Ngor Dor 1 (if renewing work permit)*

* Thai government officials require that all documents to have the seal of the company stamped on every page and the true and authorized signature(s) of the Managing Director and/or Directors next to the seal. In addition, government officials have in past requested official copies of registration, shareholder, licenses and certificates to have been issued by their respective agencies within the past 90 days of your application for Thai work permit.

It's not an easy process. For this reason, I expect 95%+ of the individuals planning to work for schools offering the 10K program to end up working illegally.

Good luck.

Cheers

Splod

@K

Because you have an extension based on marriage, you can legally work in Thailand, and you can legally apply for a work permit.

Once you have your marriage extension stamped in your passport, you can apply for the work permit. I told the school it was there responsibility to get this for me. However, they will need documents from you. This info is from Siam Legal:

Cheers, thanks for that info, maybe you can comment further, the form I filled out, I sure was for only applying it seemed that way to me.

Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by employee......

They have only taken copy of ID page with TM6 and marriage extension stamp page.

Education degree......

I do not have a Degree they have only taken a copy of my certificate of when I had my fellowship.

Certificates or licenses held by applicant......

Didn't ask, I only have old school certificates but have a Motorcycle & car license.smile.png

CV...............

Had an old one of them they took a copy of it.

Photos, three (3) in quantities which are 5 x 6 cm...........

They only wanted 1 for the form I filled out and it was cut down to 30 cm x 30 cm. smile.png

Marriage Certificate..........

They took a copy of this.

Wife’s Thai ID card and household registration...........

They did not ask for this.

Thai government officials may require these documents to be certified by your country’s

embassy etc etc...........

If they do I am not going anywhere and certainly not paying for anything, the whole point of this was asking for my help, along with 2 trips to Maesot I already have to prepare very much paperwork just for my 1 year extension to stay for marriage. smile.png

EMPLOYER PROVIDED DOCUMENTS:- ........

I believe the school from what I have seen so far, haven't got a clue.

" It's not an easy process. For this reason, I expect 95%+ of the individuals planning to work for schools offering the 10K program to end up working illegally "...........

I think you are right and I for one will not be jeopardizing my marriage extension to stay. K.

Edited by Kwasaki

Cheers

Splod

@K

Cheers, thanks for that info, maybe you can comment further, the form I filled out, I sure was for only applying it seemed that way to me.

Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by employee......

They have only taken copy of ID page with TM6 and marriage extension stamp page.

Education degree......

I do not have a Degree they have only taken a copy of my certificate of when I had my fellowship.

Certificates or licenses held by applicant......

Didn't ask, I only have old school certificates but have a Motorcycle & car license.smile.png

CV...............

Had an old one of them they took a copy of it.

Photos, three (3) in quantities which are 5 x 6 cm...........

They only wanted 1 for the form I filled out and it was cut down to 30 cm x 30 cm. smile.png

Marriage Certificate..........

They took a copy of this.

Wife’s Thai ID card and household registration...........

They did not ask for this.

Thai government officials may require these documents to be certified by your country’s

embassy etc etc...........

If they do I am not going anywhere and certainly not paying for anything, the whole point of this was asking for my help, along with 2 trips to Maesot I already have to prepare very much paperwork just for my 1 year extension to stay for marriage. smile.png

EMPLOYER PROVIDED DOCUMENTS:- ........

I believe the school from what I have seen so far, haven't got a clue.

" It's not an easy process. For this reason, I expect 95%+ of the individuals planning to work for schools offering the 10K program to end up working illegally "...........

I think you are right and I for one will not be jeopardizing my marriage extension to stay. K.

They simply took what they need for the school application -- not the work permit. Again, my guess is that they will not ask you for work permit paperwork. I'm thinking they just expect most farangs to be ignorant and essentially work illegally <wink wink nod nod>. If you want to stay legal, you're going to have to push the work permit issue yourself. That's what I'm doing. You will need to be very clear that you will not work without a work permit and that you expect the school to process the paperwork through the Ministry of Labor. When you show up on the first day of class, if you don't have a work permit, don't work. If you do, you have just broken the law. They can then use that as leverage, as in threaten to turn you in if you don't work for them on their terms. It does happen. If you're not in this for the money (I'm not), then stand your ground.

Edited by connda

In many cases, the school is going to have to either hire you or offer you some sort of a contract before making the application for the Work Permit. They would not ordinarily apply for a WP, unless they were reasonably sure you will be employed by them.

You are probably also dealing with some schools who are not familiar with the entire procedure for making sure employees have the right paperwork for the appropriate visa and then the WP.

I know it's been discussed, but does the Teacher's Council of Thailand and the Teacher's License/waiver come into play in this program?

In many cases, the school is going to have to either hire you or offer you some sort of a contract before making the application for the Work Permit. They would not ordinarily apply for a WP, unless they were reasonably sure you will be employed by them.

You are probably also dealing with some schools who are not familiar with the entire procedure for making sure employees have the right paperwork for the appropriate visa and then the WP.

I know it's been discussed, but does the Teacher's Council of Thailand and the Teacher's License/waiver come into play in this program?

Yeah, the MoL is going to require a contract. They did for the other school that I worked at. So far, I've seen none. Just an application. I do have a copy of the letter that was sent to the school, but in Thai. It's going to take me awhile to translate. I type Thai, but not fast. I'm interested in what it says.

Considering TIT, I'm pretty sure that no forethought has been given to WPs, visas, or teaching licenses. From what I'm gathering in this thread is that no one has been approached by the schools and had the schools bring up these issues in a discussion. Although school starts on Monday May 14th, I'm really not expecting to actually see the inside of a classroom until late May or early June -- if at all.

Yeah, the MoL is going to require a contract. They did for the other school that I worked at. So far, I've seen none. Just an application. I do have a copy of the letter that was sent to the school, but in Thai. It's going to take me awhile to translate. I type Thai, but not fast. I'm interested in what it says.

Considering TIT, I'm pretty sure that no forethought has been given to WPs, visas, or teaching licenses. From what I'm gathering in this thread is that no one has been approached by the schools and had the schools bring up these issues in a discussion. Although school starts on Monday May 14th, I'm really not expecting to actually see the inside of a classroom until late May or early June -- if at all.

After lots of hoops to jump through my Australian friend has his work permit now he is on the 30,000 bht a month full time as a Thai teachers assistant.

Thanks to all for info, as I say I wanted to help out for 6 hours a week but not doing it for nothing, I will certainly not start without a work-permit.

Edited by Scott

I did a cursory translation of the document that the Department of Education sent out with the application forms. It's a basic discussion of the program (increasing Thai proficiency in English to be competitive within ASEAN), responsibility of the various local and regional education entities, amounts to be paid and to whom, and a calender of events. They do discuss the issues of the Thai Culture Class and Teaching License. If the school hires a foreign "Teacher", they must abide by the Thai Education Council's requirements for a Teaching License; BUT, if the person is hired as an English "Lecturer", they need only be from a target English speaking country (US, Canada, etc), or show a proficiency (which my guess means they can hire Filipinos who are English proficient, which many are) Lecturers can be hire on a monthly or hourly basis. Use this info to your advantage! There is not discussion regarding hours to work. The number of hours and the teaching format is up to the school.

There is no discussion regarding visas and work permits for the teacher to be hired.

Edited by connda