I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

If the school hires a foreign "Teacher", they must abide by the Thai Education Council's requirements for a Teaching License; BUT, if the person is hired as an English "Lecturer", they need only be from a target English speaking country (US, Canada, etc), or show a proficiency (which my guess means they can hire Filipinos who are English proficient, which many are) Lecturers can be hire on a monthly or hourly basis. Use this info to your advantage! There is not discussion regarding hours to work. The number of hours and the teaching format is up to the school.

There is no discussion regarding visas and work permits for the teacher to be hired.

I think what you are deciphering is pre-work permit stages, doesn't matter what your hired as, you need a work permit, the Filipinos I know teaching English still have work-permits.

One I knew got the sack after two years and only had 7 days to leave Thailand, don't know exactly what he had to do but he got another job in a school in the south.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the school hires a foreign "Teacher", they must abide by the Thai Education Council's requirements for a Teaching License; BUT, if the person is hired as an English "Lecturer", they need only be from a target English speaking country (US, Canada, etc), or show a proficiency (which my guess means they can hire Filipinos who are English proficient, which many are) Lecturers can be hire on a monthly or hourly basis. Use this info to your advantage! There is not discussion regarding hours to work. The number of hours and the teaching format is up to the school.

There is no discussion regarding visas and work permits for the teacher to be hired.

I think what you are deciphering is pre-work permit stages, doesn't matter what your hired as, you need a work permit, the Filipinos I know teaching English still have work-permits.

One I knew got the sack after two years and only had 7 days to leave Thailand, don't know exactly what he had to do but he got another job in a school in the south.

He was on a B visa. Once you're out, you need to get out. You and I, on the other hand are on Marriage Extensions. Doesn't matter if you work or not. But if you work, and get the sack or quit, no problem! You're visa is not dependent on your work. The work permit is a different animal. You just need it to start work.

Kwasaki, go for it, but just stand your ground on the work permit issue -- politely. Offer to work with them to obtain it, play along, smile, and all will turn out good!

• Like 1

Having lived and worked here in Thailand for some 21 years and all of those years in teaching in International and E.P. situations and having been inviolved with projects with Thai government schools I am of the opinion this scheme as good as it is in its aims is going to be about as viable as a ''chocolate fireguard.''

The bureaucrats are involved., hence the power struggles and empire building and no doubt ''the commission rates'' process too will kill the venture stone dead. Those who wish to offer their much needed services (and indeed I admire and support them fully ) will be the ritual sacrifice on the altar of visa's I fear.

I'm sorry if I come across as a ''Jobs Comfort.'' However reality and practicality and common sense are not high on the horizon of the Thai Education dept and the M.O.L. along with the immigration department as well.

Tread carefully you well meaning teaching volunteers.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

history_of_the_devil_4.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Guys any opinions on my religious visa?????

I remember your post about being a Monk, but I have no idea what type of visa that is and no idea whether it would allow you to work or not. That is a rather specific question that might best be asked in the visa forum.

Guys any opinions on my religious visa?????

I remember your post about being a Monk, but I have no idea what type of visa that is and no idea whether it would allow you to work or not. That is a rather specific question that might best be asked in the visa forum.

It states he would of got a non-immigrate visa ( ED) and then does one year extension to stay, and then it's not very clear what else, not sure what money he has to show it writes about 20,000 per person.

It goes on then about work permits and visa ( B ) and then gives a web site that cannot be found.biggrin.png

We know you can get a work permit with Marriage and ( B ) so far, so ' Para ' I would say if concerned he needs to find out.

Edited by Kwasaki

@Scott/@Kwasaki

To be honest I am kinda happy to ride it out and see what happens. If my 'Big Boss' sees fit for me to teach then it will happen if he feels its not correct I will follow his wishes!

Any updates on official contacts guys its only 7 days til kick off?

Hi again

The only "update" I have at the moment, is that it's nearing the last day for applications - and (as i was told) the applications will very soon be sent off to Kurusapa (or whoever)..

This means that the application forms signed earlier this (or last) month, have yet to be sent off (my own application included). It seems to be the norm in Thailand to wait until the last day before actually posting (faxing, maybe) documents off - and it's certainly something I've experienced a few times.

Mind you, that doesn't necessarily mean that every single application has yet to be sent off - maybe some places are "quicker" than others.....

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Kwasaki, go for it, but just stand your ground on the work permit issue -- politely. Offer to work with them to obtain it, play along, smile, and all will turn out good!

Yes I am beginning to hope so !! the wife likes the idea and is getting involved and she is fully aware of the work-permit situation and she wouldn't mind going off to Bangkok with me to get it, so although not to my liking I might just do that if it helps.

I was approached yesterday, I said that I was hoping to get a job at another school and couldn't afford to only work for 10,000 baht a month, they said I could work on weekends 3 hours each day. I signed up. For this year it will be a hard go, but next year I was hoping to cut back and 6 hours a week seems just about right. It's a good deal for the village schools, obviously the central government is giving them the budget and for 10,000 baht they aren't going to get a teacher to come from to far away, so if they can get a resident farang it's perfect for them.

There seems to be a nationwide push on at the moment to get local expats involved in teaching English. I was approached a week ago when they asked me to sit in on English classes at the village school about 400m from my house to help pronounciation.. Half day, 5 days a week, for 10,000 Baht. I had my medical last Friday at the local Government hospital. They will provide me the paperwork for a WP which I will take to Nackon Sawan Immigration Office an hours drive away...I start next Monday..

..I will keep you updated on the WP progress..

I was approached yesterday, I said that I was hoping to get a job at another school and couldn't afford to only work for 10,000 baht a month, they said I could work on weekends 3 hours each day. I signed up. For this year it will be a hard go, but next year I was hoping to cut back and 6 hours a week seems just about right. It's a good deal for the village schools, obviously the central government is giving them the budget and for 10,000 baht they aren't going to get a teacher to come from to far away, so if they can get a resident farang it's perfect for them.

There seems to be a nationwide push on at the moment to get local expats involved in teaching English. I was approached a week ago when they asked me to sit in on English classes at the village school about 400m from my house to help pronounciation.. Half day, 5 days a week, for 10,000 Baht. I had my medical last Friday at the local Government hospital. They will provide me the paperwork for a WP which I will take to Nackon Sawan Immigration Office an hours drive away...I start next Monday..

Half day, 5 days a week, for 10,000 Baht if that's for a week that's better than 5 days full time @ 30,000 per month.

Personally I would not like to work 5 days a week, good for you hope you like it.

Half day, 5 days a week, for 10,000 Baht if that's for a week that's better than 5 days full time @ 30,000 per month.

Personally I would not like to work 5 days a week, good for you hope you like it.

I have made it clear that as soon as I have a contract in my normal proffession then I am off..I see it as a bit of giving back to the community for a bit of beer money..and its 10,000 for the month..

Edited by plopmeister

I have made it clear that as soon as I have a contract in my normal proffession then I am off..I see it as a bit of giving back to the community for a bit of beer money..and its 10,000 for the month..

With all due respect this situation is very disruptive to the children and sad to say if this is your mindset you shouldn't really be considering teaching or assisting. The course you say you will take is frankly in my eyes irresponsible.

You need to remember if you do run your next work permit request may well be bounced back to you as a refusal,Walking out mid term of a contract period or a school term is not considered a wise move by the authorities.

Weigh your options and motives carefully, the wrong moves may well come back to you with a vengeance.

With all due respect this situation is very disruptive to the children and sad to say if this is your mindset you shouldn't really be considering teaching or assisting. The course you say you will take is frankly in my eyes irresponsible.

You need to remember if you do run your next work permit request may well be bounced back to you as a refusal,Walking out mid term of a contract period or a school term is not considered a wise move by the authorities.

Weigh your options and motives carefully, the wrong moves may well come back to you with a vengeance.

Yes I agree.

I had a very frank and open discussion when they came to my house and presented their proposal. I don't need the money. I was completely straight with the headmaster in the possibility that I will depart for what is my normal proffession. If anybody is irresponsible then it is the Government wanting village schools to utilise what is on their doorstep at a VERY cheap price.

I don't know where you live but for sure without this Government initiative there would be Thousands of village schools missing out on this possibility....

I don't think there is much of a problem there consider that 95%+ of the teachers participating in this program are going to be doing so without a work permit. From a legal standpoint, this is a complete clusterf**k.

Personally, I have not been approached to sign a contract, so therefore, there is no contractual obligation. In addition, I'm pretty da_m sure that in order to get a work permit, you need to have a contract or a letter from an "legitimate" employer indicating that they are hiring you and the terms of your employment obligation. Without a contractual agreement, well siampolee is with well within his or her rights to move along whenever they wish. However, siampolee, (which sounds like Siam Police), should also be well aware that a work permit is require to work in this country.

I'm trying to figure this out: Are the Thai MPs, the MoL, and MoE so totally insulated from each other for me to actually believe that these entities are going to allow foreign workers to start work while violating Thai labor law. Is Thailand this totally f******d? How about the media watchdogs like the Nation and the Bangkok Post.

Hello out there? Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Does anyone give a s**t?

I'm done. Last post for my in this thread. Good luck!

'Twould it seem as if I touched a raw nerve with Condda,

I have been here in Thailand for some 20+ years and I have been teaching all that time too in both Thai schools and International programmes and E.P. schools I qualified many a year back with a degrees in education. I am equally at home in Bangkok or Surin , my or I should say our contact with the school in the village has been constant and we have helped as much as we can to improve the schools resources and facilities.

However, siampolee, (which sounds like Siam Police), should also be well aware that a work permit is require to work in this country.

The name refers to a company my wife owns as we have over the years built up a small business network ,so sorry I may well be aware of how the system works for both Thai and foreigners too..

Indeed there are as we are all well aware manty teachers in language centres and also agencies who are both unqualified and working with no work permits being in place.

Qualifications do not make a good teacher, however they do show that there has been some input as to what may be required to help you to teach. . Teachers have a very influential role in childrens lives and a transient teacher is not the ideal person, all I want is my beer money till something better comes along is in my eyes and many others eyes indicative of a poor attitude to the job in hand.

Village school gaining benefit from a part time N.E.S ?

Methinks one needs to remember that the problems are that invariably the children have no understandably at all of English and you would be starting from scratch, grammar may be drilled into the children however grammar is not learning the language.

It's all about communication skill's and getting the message across,.With , Oh it's only a short term assignment for me thus a negative attitude is formed failure is inevitable, teaching is a challenging occupation a class full of probably 50 individuals who will be mesmerized by a foreign teacher excited and believe me somewhat challenging to control , however in time it becomes a manageable situation.

I have said in earlier posts I back this idea all the way and I hope it gets off of the ground, however the selected teachers have got to be motivated and not transients. Transient teachers do far more harm than good to their charges..

Frankly that wonderful flounce by Connda at the end of his post # 120 really shows Connda is not really an ideal teacher. Heart might be in the right place but no idea or conception of the implications of the position.

I have said in earlier posts I back this idea all the way and I hope it gets off of the ground, however the selected teachers have got to be motivated and not transients. Transient teachers do far more harm than good to their charges..

So what do you feel about my situation? Honestly I mean. Do I start on Monday or not?, I want to help the community but have my proffessional life to think of..

My personal feeling is that if you are going to be around for the first semester give it a go, if not don't do it kids need continuity especially with the subject in question.

Your motives are fine however if you take a position in your own profession are you able to return something to the community at the weekends or will you be regarded as the Farang that let the kids down ?

If and when i interview a teacher for a post I expect commitment, however our needs and conditions are a trifle different to the needs of your village school.,

It's a hard call, you need to think carefully as to what impact you will make on the kids while teaching and also what the impact may be if you up sticks and depart.

Did your teachers flit in and out of your school life when you were at school? Think back to your education experiences.

Good luck if you do start and keep us informed as to progress, any help asked for will be given, you are among friends here.

I have ignored this thread until today but this morning the school principle came over with my wife’s sister to try and get my wife to talk me into teaching for this program. Very Thai way of doing it. They approached the person in my life with the most influence rather than coming directly to me. They gave her until Monday to get an answer.

I basically told her “game on” lets see how good a salesperson you are. You have the next couple of days to work on me. Though I understand her arguments in favor I am happy the way I am. I taught more than 30 years ago and have no desire to do it again. I guess we will see.wink.png

• Like 1

I have ignored this thread until today but this morning the school principle came over with my wife’s sister to try and get my wife to talk me into teaching for this program. Very Thai way of doing it. They approached the person in my life with the most influence rather than coming directly to me. They gave her until Monday to get an answer.

I basically told her “game on” lets see how good a salesperson you are. You have the next couple of days to work on me. Though I understand her arguments in favor I am happy the way I am. I taught more than 30 years ago and have no desire to do it again. I guess we will see.wink.png

Same same me..They came to the farm, spoke to the missus for 30 minutes before I was called out!!

I am a consultant Telecomms PM and work all over the world but have never taught in a classroom environment ( Unless you reagrd weapons training from my Army days!!!)

By The Way..I will not be teaching..I will be assisting the existing teachers to improve pronunciation.......The last time I did that my Venezuelan driver ended up with an excellent Dorset accent...

Edited by plopmeister

A point dawned on me today....

.....If this is truly the nationwide scheme it seems to be then surely there must be a low percentage of sexual predators out there being approached to work in schools without any background checks.....

Horrifying thought...

Really? Blast it! - I was pretty certain that your wife would persuade you - and quite easily, too....rolleyes.gif

My wife made her arguments for me helping to teach, saying amongst other things that the kids around here wouldn't have any possibility at all of hearing any conversational English during their schooldays, if I didn't help out a little. It was something that she'd sorely missed when she was at school - and just a few hours a week could make a whole lot of difference to the future generations.

Just like you, I've been quite content NOT to do any "work" - but I'm willing to spend a few hours a week if it can maybe improve things.

The wife is quite happy about the prospect and satisfied that if only one kid benefits from my presence, then it's all worth it.

She could just be right....wai.gif

Splod

Really? Blast it! - I was pretty certain that your wife would persuade you - and quite easily, too....rolleyes.gif

My wife made her arguments for me helping to teach, saying amongst other things that the kids around here wouldn't have any possibility at all of hearing any conversational English during their schooldays, if I didn't help out a little. It was something that she'd sorely missed when she was at school - and just a few hours a week could make a whole lot of difference to the future generations.

Just like you, I've been quite content NOT to do any "work" - but I'm willing to spend a few hours a week if it can maybe improve things.

The wife is quite happy about the prospect and satisfied that if only one kid benefits from my presence, then it's all worth it.

She could just be right....wai.gif

Splod

Thanks for sharing and here is my situation.

Last term my wife was roped into volunteering at another local school as an English teacher. Her English is so much better than any English teacher I have seen here. She liked it enough that now she wants to go back to school and get a teaching degree from the local university. I think she is looking at it as something to fall back on when she gets older.

I am well aware of what the kids might get out of my teaching but I’m not sure what I would get out of it. For their level I think they are much better off with my wife than with me but she does not meet the requirements as she is Thai. Might not be fair but I got the feeling this was more about the principal justifying his own job as a lot of emphasis was placed on my going to various seminars to represent the school and to be present for inspections.

I wasn’t much more than a kid myself when I last taught English at AUA in Bangkok. So I have done the teaching thing and would rather do things that are new and of interest to me. I am also quite comfortable not working and wouldn’t want to be tied down by any sort of schedule.

I don’t fancy being a first time guinea pig with the work permit, tax and visa implications. If this program is still around next year I may have another look but I have my doubts about it being successful.

Having already lived in Thailand for more than 35 years, speaking Thai and having been in the village for 5 years, I wouldn’t reap the same benefits a newcomer would. And yes, I know I am being selfish but I think I have earned the right. Everyone’s situation is different and this is mine.

Yes, I can't say I blame your wife for wanting to get a teaching degree - it's useful and if she has the time and zest to do it - then go for it! I wish my wife would volunteer to teach some kids English - she loves kids and could easily manage some of the younger Prathom kids. Unfortunately, she's "scared" to even want to try. Maybe if I get positive results from assisting in schools, then it'll also have a positive effect on her. I'm sure the schools here would enjoy having someone other than the same teacher all the time.

Well, obviously I can't comment on whether your principal is just really justifying his own job, but II will admit that experiencing the attitudes of people in higher positions at some schools can leave you with a feeling that "something's not right, somewhere" and that somehow you're possibly being misled.

As yet, I'm not sure if it's just the normal way they tend to do things over here - and that in the

end there's really no hidden agenda. We'll just have to wait and see, eh. whistling.gif

Agreed, the program is rather badly planned and there's far too little information for schools and the NES people involved. We have contact with Thais in rather remote areas - they have never received any news about the program at all - and were surprised that NES people could be hired.

I also have my doubts as to when the program will properly get on track - if it ever does - and it's

certainly not off to a good start, what with schools already open or opening in the coming days - and with no new NES assistants at all! blink.pngermm.gif

A written guideline on what the exact process is to get a Work Permit and a possible change of visa type for people on retirement- and marriage visas, would have been of enormous help, both for schools and for the people trying to make up their minds as to whether to join the program, or not. I hear from some, that "Oh, this is Thailand and it's bound to be difficult, so I don't think I'll bother" - which is quite understandable and unfortunately quite correct, too.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose - everybody's decision is just that - their own decision - and nothing for others to be critical of.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Edited by CaptainSplod
  • Like 1

So what do you feel about my situation? Honestly I mean. Do I start on Monday or not?, I want to help the community but have my proffessional life to think of..

Sorry to chime in late on this, but I am an infrequent lurker. Your situation caught my eye though. I admit that I haven't diligently read the entire thread here, so forgive me if I rehash something.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that it would be a bad thing even if you started, did a month, and then had to bail for whatever reason. In a lot of the small country schools, the students have never talked with a farang before, and certainly never had one as a teacher. They scramble all the time to get us for 1-2 day "English Camps", but there simply aren't enough interested foreigners to go around. Some people get all uptight about qualified vs unqualified teachers, but the situation here makes that all but irrelevant. A "motivated amateur" can make for a fantastic teacher in that situation, a real good opportunity for the students.

If you get called back to your career after 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month... Then the kids got the experience of learning with a bona-fide farang for a while. In all likelihood, there isn't anybody else lined up to do any better.

The one caveat that I would provide is to suggest that you should pace yourself according to your motivation. Generally, a full-time teacher at a govt. school will be doing 18-22 hours (in-classroom hours, not counting plan developing and other time spent) per week and making 30-35k per month. All of this recent shakeup is due to the 10,000 baht subsidy for schools employing foreigners. I haven't heard of any schools that were already employing farangs full-time forking over any of that 10,000 baht, but schools that don't have any farangs seem to be quite happy to give it all to you. So, they are offering you 10,000 baht, but they will try to get you to do the same amount of hours as a full-time teacher (or at least, as many as possible) for less than 1/3rd of the salary that a full-timer would get.

I don't know if there is some minimum amount of hours needed for a foreign teacher to qualify the school for the 10,000 baht subsidy or not, but I have heard of schools offering it with a schedule of as few as 6 hours per week, maybe spread into only 2-3 days. The school you mentioned wants you to do 5 half-days per week -- depending on how they lay out your schedule, that could be as much as 20 hours. Honestly, it is fairly likely that they will try to talk you into something like that. You can take the "give something back to the community" bit as far as you want, but just be aware that if your motivation level is being taxed you could probably cut down to 2 half days (6 hours per week) and it would still be a positive way to contribute and worth the school getting the subsidy for you.

Final thing is that this is all disregarding any legality / work permit / visa entanglement issues that have already been mentioned in the thread here. The school wants you, they think they can get the 10,000 baht subsidy, but very frequently they have no idea about what it takes for us to be legally, by-the-book working here. They will be very "mai pen lai" about it, but it would probably serve you well to be at least a little bit less cavalier than that. Try to get them involved in getting you working on a valid permit, as by-the-book as can be managed.

• Like 2

Sorry to chime in late on this, but I am an infrequent lurker. Your situation caught my eye though. I admit that I haven't diligently read the entire thread here, so forgive me if I rehash something.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that it would be a bad thing even if you started, did a month, and then had to bail for whatever reason. In a lot of the small country schools, the students have never talked with a farang before, and certainly never had one as a teacher. They scramble all the time to get us for 1-2 day "English Camps", but there simply aren't enough interested foreigners to go around. Some people get all uptight about qualified vs unqualified teachers, but the situation here makes that all but irrelevant. A "motivated amateur" can make for a fantastic teacher in that situation, a real good opportunity for the students.

If you get called back to your career after 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month... Then the kids got the experience of learning with a bona-fide farang for a while. In all likelihood, there isn't anybody else lined up to do any better.

The one caveat that I would provide is to suggest that you should pace yourself according to your motivation. Generally, a full-time teacher at a govt. school will be doing 18-22 hours (in-classroom hours, not counting plan developing and other time spent) per week and making 30-35k per month. All of this recent shakeup is due to the 10,000 baht subsidy for schools employing foreigners. I haven't heard of any schools that were already employing farangs full-time forking over any of that 10,000 baht, but schools that don't have any farangs seem to be quite happy to give it all to you. So, they are offering you 10,000 baht, but they will try to get you to do the same amount of hours as a full-time teacher (or at least, as many as possible) for less than 1/3rd of the salary that a full-timer would get.

I don't know if there is some minimum amount of hours needed for a foreign teacher to qualify the school for the 10,000 baht subsidy or not, but I have heard of schools offering it with a schedule of as few as 6 hours per week, maybe spread into only 2-3 days. The school you mentioned wants you to do 5 half-days per week -- depending on how they lay out your schedule, that could be as much as 20 hours. Honestly, it is fairly likely that they will try to talk you into something like that. You can take the "give something back to the community" bit as far as you want, but just be aware that if your motivation level is being taxed you could probably cut down to 2 half days (6 hours per week) and it would still be a positive way to contribute and worth the school getting the subsidy for you.

Final thing is that this is all disregarding any legality / work permit / visa entanglement issues that have already been mentioned in the thread here. The school wants you, they think they can get the 10,000 baht subsidy, but very frequently they have no idea about what it takes for us to be legally, by-the-book working here. They will be very "mai pen lai" about it, but it would probably serve you well to be at least a little bit less cavalier than that. Try to get them involved in getting you working on a valid permit, as by-the-book as can be managed.

Thanks..I am quite well known in the Nackon Sawan immigration office and fully intend for the missus to give them a call tomorrow..