Phuket Governor Takes Action Against Rumourmongers

webfact

DOOMSDAY, APRIL 28, 2012 - EARTHQUAKE SCARE

Phuket Governor takes action against rumourmongers

30180356-01_big.jpg

File photo : A road in Phuket is full of vehicles and people who ran out of buildings as quake hit the province on April 16.

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Tri Akaradecha on Friday ordered that a complaint be filed with police against persons spreading rumours that doomsday will arrive in Phuket by April 28.

The rumours have been spreading like wildfire ever since a quake rocked Phuket on Monday causing panic among many locals. Several aftershocks have followed, with a tremor of 3.2 magnitude felt at 2am on Friday.

"Messages are have posted on Facebook and leaflets distributed warning people to evacuate Phuket by April 28," Phuket's disaster prevention and mitigation chief Wiroj Suwanwong told police.

He filed the complaint at the Mueang Phuket Police Station on behalf of Tri.

"We want to see fast action against the individuals who are spreading the rumours," Wiroj said. "Such actions are punishable by both a fine and a jail term".

Tri said he was ready to give up his post if Phuket were to really disappear from the world by April 28.

"Please have confidence in the authorities. Rumours are just rumours. Aftershocks will continue for seven more days but they won't cause any big shaking," Tri said.

Tambon Si Sunthorn Municipality mayor Worawut Songyos meanwhile disclosed that the quakes had damaged more than 170 houses in his area.

"The number of complaints from people keeps rising," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-20

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More aftershocks to continue in Phuket for 7 days

image_20120420172226CF463373-CFE8-10CF-18B3A82B579FFC0F.jpg

PHUKET, April 20 - Aftershocks on the resort island of Phuket are forecast to last for about another week, even as a small tremor jolted the province again early Friday morning.

Phuket Governor Tree Akharadecha on Friday said that the minor tremor, measuring 4 on the Richter scale, rattled the vicinity at 3am in Thalang district.

Citing informants from the Department of Mineral Resources, Mr Tree explained that the aftershocks were predicted to continue for seven more days.

He urged the public to be calm amid the ongoing series of mild tremors, and gave assurances that the authorities are ready to assist the public immediately if a strong earthquake hits the province.

In addition, the governor explained that relevant officials and agencies continued to inform residents regarding the situation, asking the public to pay attention to and believe official quake-related announcements and to be confident in the warning system.

Regarding a rumour posted on a social network that Phuket Island was predicted to sink into the sea next Saturday. Gov Tree assigned Viroj Suwannawong, a provincial official, to file a complaint at a police station for further prosecution and searching for a person who posted this message on the Facebook and persons who shared and spread the information.

To assure the public and quell such a rumour, Mr Tree announced that he would step down as governor if Phuket does indeed sink.

In a related development, Phuket MP Raywat Areerob said on Friday he submitted a letter to Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit, asking for a centre or an office in Phuket to inform and alert the public about earthquake-related updates.

Mr Raywat also asked local agencies to consider building a Luang Pu Supha-Hat Paton Beach Road to be used as a shortcut evacuation route.

He also submitted letters to Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk and Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap to speed up installing high-technology seismographs in the areas.

A 4.3-magnitude earthquake epicentred in Si Sunthon sub-district of Thalang district occurred last Sunday (April 15), followed by more than 50 minor tremors prompting fear among local residents and foreign tourists. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-20

Well now we have something to look forward to, oh s_hit on second thoughts, now all the Russkies will be headed for Hua Hin, Pranburi, Cha Am, or Petchaburi, this is not goodsick.gifermm.gifsad.png

Edited by PingManDan

Tambon Si Sunthorn Municipality mayor Worawut Songyos meanwhile disclosed that the quakes had damaged more than 170 houses in his area.

"The number of complaints from people keeps rising," he said.

I wonder if the number of complaints has anything to do with damage payouts?

quote:

Tri said he was ready to give up his post if Phuket were to really disappear from the world by April 28.

unquote.

But if Phuket disappears indeed from the world map, he will continue his post... I like that! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I typically read and interpret reports with amusement and sometimes sadness.... But this one is a bit "over-the-edge" even for me! Thailand... land of smiles and ????? Maybe back to New York City for this Hippie Buddhist.... Hmmmmm....

• Like 1

"Messages are have posted on Facebook and leaflets distributed warning people to evacuate Phuket by April 28," Phuket's disaster prevention and mitigation chief Wiroj Suwanwong told police."

​<deleted> gives a flying shit what's posted on Facebook?

Aeeh beside that is anybody interested in buying a cheap house on Phuket now?

Please page me before the 28/4/2012 wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

"Messages are have posted on Facebook and leaflets distributed warning people to evacuate Phuket by April 28," Phuket's disaster prevention and mitigation chief Wiroj Suwanwong told police."

​<deleted> gives a flying shit what's posted on Facebook?

Aeeh beside that is anybody interested in buying a cheap house on Phuket now?

Please page me before the 28/4/2012 wai.gif

My wife tells me there's idiots handing out leaflets in Patong, telling people to leave Phuket before the 28th. I guess someone does need to put a stop to that.

• Like 1