Thai Govt Declares Success In Its 'Zero Songkran Holiday Death' Campaign

webfact

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder what part of "zero fatalities" got lost in translation? It is the only excuse I can think of for naming this project in the first place.

If you are going to set goals (in whatever situation) then you need to make them attainable.

Even one death would have made this a failure.

Maybe the slogan just looked too good to resist.

I'll try again. If you read the article without the "benefit" of the two offending sub headings you end up with this:

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyoot Wichaidit said during the weekly “Yingluck Government Meets the People” program that the government regrets the loss of lives and the injuries suffered by the public during this year's Songkran holidays.

Nothing contentious there

Mr. Yongyoot stated that both deaths and injuries seen in the past holiday are tragic and remain a lesson for those who live to remember.

Or here

However, the Deputy PM is pleased that the government-initiated campaign to rid the country of road fatalities during the Songkran holidays ended up with six provinces recording 'zero' death this year. They include Nakhon Phanom, Trat, Trang, Ranong, Pattani and Satun.

Well, He's hardly likely to be displeased with a number of provinces, no matter how small the number, recording zero deaths is he?

He added that, with more than 260 districts across the country reported no road accident at all, the campaign could be declared a success of a certain level.

a certain level, i.e with regard to this part of the "report", the fact that 260 plus districts reported no accidents at all, could point to the limited success of the campaign

Now it reads quite differently, doesn't it. The addition of the idiotic sub headings can only be described as an attempt by the National News Bureau to ridicule the source. They serve no other purpose other than to precondition the reader as to what to expect.

Edited by phiphidon
  • Like 2

quite normal behavior for a people who put salt on strawberry's and pineapple i find

So why do you stay there if you feel this way about the people?

u can choose to stay anywhere you want... it doesn't mean you have to like what people do...

After reading the above carefully and slowly, for several time, I had to conclude he must be right.

I am certain he must mean higher number of fatalities and wounded hugely raised income for temples, undertakers, hospitals and help services.

Viewed in that way, it most certainly is a success.

One man's death is another man's gain.

Well........speachless!

I'm reminded of old G.W. Bush declaring "Mission Accomplished" regarding the Iraq war back in 2003. Reality is not something that applies to politics.

I assume you are referring to his landing on the USS Abraham Lincoln, giving a speech in front of a two word banner hung by the crew of the ship. In his speech those two words were never uttered and the banner referred specifically to the aircraft carrier's 10-month deployment (which was the longest deployment of a carrier since the Vietnam War) and not the war itself,It truly did signify a mission accomplished for the crew. I was never a fan of GWB and aknowledge there is plenty to criticize him about, but I prefer to remain accurate when doing so...FWIW.

• Like 1

These people are loons.

Could not have said it better. The rest of the world is reading this Gov stuff and really is laughing at what people in authority are really doing to take home their pay cheque.

BUT WAIT, The drug problem in LOS is nearly over too.

Edited by transam

I'll try again. If you read the article without the "benefit" of the two offending sub headings you end up with this:

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyoot Wichaidit said during the weekly “Yingluck Government Meets the People†program that the government regrets the loss of lives and the injuries suffered by the public during this year's Songkran holidays.

Nothing contentious there

Mr. Yongyoot stated that both deaths and injuries seen in the past holiday are tragic and remain a lesson for those who live to remember.

Or here

However, the Deputy PM is pleased that the government-initiated campaign to rid the country of road fatalities during the Songkran holidays ended up with six provinces recording 'zero' death this year. They include Nakhon Phanom, Trat, Trang, Ranong, Pattani and Satun.

Well, He's hardly likely to be displeased with a number of provinces, no matter how small the number, recording zero deaths is he?

He added that, with more than 260 districts across the country reported no road accident at all, the campaign could be declared a success of a certain level.

a certain level, i.e with regard to this part of the "report", the fact that 260 plus districts reported no accidents at all, could point to the limited success of the campaign

Now it reads quite differently, doesn't it. The addition of the idiotic sub headings can only be described as an attempt by the National News Bureau to ridicule the source. They serve no other purpose other than to precondition the reader as to what to expect.

No. Actually it reads exactly the same as most other years. There are allways districts and provinces that 'report ' no accidents or deaths. But most politicians do not claim that as a success. They know that's just 'how it is '

It was a stupid claim in the 1st place and could NEVER have been achieved,

But you have your red tinted specs on so can not see that. These headlines claiming success are for those of the electorate that only listen or read the headlines. That what all the chest beating is about.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

"more than 260 districts across the country reported no road accident at all"

No Cars, No Roads = No road accidents, save the over turned water buffalo

No "reported" accidents. We can pretty much guarantee accidents happened in every district. Just weren't officially reported.

Also, a fatality is only recorded as such if it occurs immediately during or immediately after the accident. If the victim dies a week or two later, it's not reported as an accident fatality. Research how Thailand reports traffic accidents. Crazy stuff.

Someone should tell Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyoot Wichaidit that making a SATIRE JOKE about so many people getting mangled and passing away and getting hurt is just not cool.

Hey, has mommy Y got a new side kick, how many Deputy PMs are there now?

PTP's blinkered & hollow statement today is a great insult to the many people who lost their lives on the roads this last week & to many others who are now spending their lives in disability from crashes. My prayers are with the injured & the families of those poor people.

Amen

That's one way of looking at it. But last year was also a statistical outlier. Year-on-year comparisons are always problematic. Compared to 2007-2010, inclusive, this was a better year.

2007: 361 deaths, 4,805 injuries and 4,274 accidents

2008: 368 deaths, 4,801 injuries and 4,243 accidents

2009: 373 deaths, 4,332 injuries and 3,977 accidents

2010: 361 deaths, 3,802 injuries and 3,516 accidents

2011: 271 deaths, 3,476 injuries and 3,215 accidents

2012: 320 deaths, 3,320 injuries and 3,129 accidents

I have, as a professional, looked at their stats for road accidents and fatalities and spoken to the people collecting them.

To be polite, they are politically affected.

The political requirement from local and national politicians is that they get better – so they do.

Edited by creck
  • Like 2

PTP's blinkered & hollow statement today is a great insult to the many people who lost their lives on the roads this last week & to many others who are now spending their lives in disability from crashes. My prayers are with the injured & the families of those poor people.

Well said 'Yunla'. How in all the hell in creation can these people spout such untter crap AND get away with it?. BULLSHIT, THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES HERE IN THAILAND!

One mans success is another mans failure................dream on!

If you are still alive, that's a success. If you are dead, well, you failed.

That's right... if you died then you failed.. the campaign was still a success of course.

Well said 'Yunla'. How in all the hell in creation can these people spout such untter crap AND get away with it?. BULLSHIT, THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES HERE IN THAILAND!

Weeeeeeeeeeell, it's just the way it is. smile.png

To criticize one first has to establish what level is is referring to when he says "the campaign could be declared a success of a certain level." I mean, Bangkok floods were a success - for the flood water I meant,

the level being 1 meter above ground level. Now let's compare that to the governments earthquake plans - If an entire city is flattened it could be, at a level (no pun intended) considered a success - for the earthquake!! Make sense? Thai politicians (of all parties) are looking for people like you, people who truly understand them!

Edited by BrianCR