Setting Up A Goat Farm In Khon Kean

• 4 months later...

I had a couple of goats on my farm some years ago – the meat is very tasty. Main (almost only, I think) market in Thailand is for Muslims; there tend to be small close-knit communities throughout the country in addition to the southern provinces.

Rgds

Khonwan

I've never had goats per se ... but relatives have.

They seem to be a different type of beast ... very tactile.

Always coming by and nudging you when you least expect it.

Kind of cute though.

Good luck with the Farm ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48

like khonwan says, would be ok to have a couple just for eating, couple of females and a billy, eat the billy kids, a lot like lamb so i understand, but they dont like the rain and suffer with there feet,same as sheep,

might look into that good way of keeping the grass down,

jake

I had a pair of sheep at the same time – I don’t recall having problems with their feet in the rain. The sheep and goats were indeed my automatic grass mowers. My billy goat could be aggressive (like all billies) but I soon taught it who was boss; likewise with my one-tonne bulls – I remember being annoyed with my wife if she ever showed any sign of fear whilst in their enclosure.

Rgds

Khonwan

hi thaipak,

looking good and good luck to you in your venture,

could i ask were you bought the stock fencing, i havnt sean it in thailand and would like to get some,

thank you jake

Jake,

Looks like reinforcing mesh I use for concrete floors. Can be bought at any building supply depot that sells cement etc...

Just to add some more to the above topic;

-Bangkok is the main market for goat meat with its hundred of halal food resuturant serving mostly to foreign customers.

-Fence is made in Newzeland and is called Cyclone brand which is being sold here by PP Fence

-Goats need care while delivering babies and with regular vaccinations

-On average a goat takes about 2 kg of freash grass and 50 grams of CP feed as well as hey and water at all time

-We just installed an elevated floor from The Bigdutchman to keep the goat safe during rainy season

-So far the most important thing we belive we have done is was Fencing, it has helped us a lot by all means

-Main trouble we have faced so far is not planting required grass in time for the goats and our own water system

-To keep goats healthy, we are feeding them oat waste from beer factory and cassava waste along with molasses untill we have our own grass

-Average feed cost is pay 5-6 baht a goat

-Average per kg live goat price is 100-110 baht

Average live female price is 150 baht

Average live billy goat price is 250 baht a kg

best regards

ALI

post-64455-0-88383600-1347881667_thumb.j

those are boer mixes? for meat? with the mollasses u dont have problems with their rumens? ... and khonwan, as a rule, billy goats dont 'sense fear' ; htey work entirely by hormones. when in heat, their little head rules, and if htey have horns, they can kill you or at the least blind u in an eye, or wrip up your stomach. and 'friendly' nudge from a 90 kilo billy goat can cause a lot of damage. btw, billys dont like men as much (hormone smells), i had no problems with my huge billy, although did have main problem with a large merino ram who woulod physically hassle me. he also hassled others.... in general, billys dont need to run with their herd; a private stall/yard is best, with very high fencing cause a buck wanting to get to his herd will jump anything and can impale himself or smash his balls (happened to a fave buck of mine) causing permanent damage to himslef, while trying to get to them.

dont understand why that kind of fencing is needed... goats can do well with what is called horse fenceing (poles); and most nannies wont jump out/over, that is a learned behavior. unlike bucks, a female will stay with ehr herd and not rush off to get to her mate.

also, goats dont need grass as much as they need forage/roughage, sheep are better lawn mowers, goats are better hedge and tree trimmers.

but still looks lovely for them. and yes, they suffer from foot rot and just plain dont like wet ground.

here, the prime slaughtering age is up to 6-8 months, before they reach sexual maturity and start smelling. and filed grazed is preferred. my experience is with milchers not meat for the most part though.... and not done goats now for three years...but i still have my goat fetish...

btw, if the mother is a good birther/mother, her daughters will be so for the most part. if the mother is not a good birther consistenly, nor a good mother, get rid of her (unless u bottle feed all your goat kids)

bina

israel

• Like 1

You may well be correct, Bina, but I know that mine certainly did fear me enough to stop butting me. I also know that when I visited a Thai friend who also had a billy that was quite aggressive, it also feared me after a solid smack to the head by me.

Rgds

Khonwan

You may well be correct, Bina, but I know that mine certainly did fear me enough to stop butting me. I also know that when I visited a Thai friend who also had a billy that was quite aggressive, it also feared me after a solid smack to the head by me.

Rgds

Khonwan

A man after my own heart. Be it goat or in my case pig, there is a natural order to things and aggression should be met in kind. Animals understand that there can be only one king of the herd and respect that. I have found that it doesnt need to happen all that often or involve any real injury, but it happens. All benefit.

Just take care, I had a sow that just would not wait to get her nose into the feeder and made it dangerous to fill the bowl. She got a good thump and me a broken finger. She learnt and I didnt let on just how much that hurt, shhhh...

• 2 weeks later...

those are boer mixes? for meat? with the mollasses u dont have problems with their rumens? ... and khonwan, as a rule, billy goats dont 'sense fear' ; htey work entirely by hormones. when in heat, their little head rules, and if htey have horns, they can kill you or at the least blind u in an eye, or wrip up your stomach. and 'friendly' nudge from a 90 kilo billy goat can cause a lot of damage. btw, billys dont like men as much (hormone smells), i had no problems with my huge billy, although did have main problem with a large merino ram who woulod physically hassle me. he also hassled others.... in general, billys dont need to run with their herd; a private stall/yard is best, with very high fencing cause a buck wanting to get to his herd will jump anything and can impale himself or smash his balls (happened to a fave buck of mine) causing permanent damage to himslef, while trying to get to them.

dont understand why that kind of fencing is needed... goats can do well with what is called horse fenceing (poles); and most nannies wont jump out/over, that is a learned behavior. unlike bucks, a female will stay with ehr herd and not rush off to get to her mate.

also, goats dont need grass as much as they need forage/roughage, sheep are better lawn mowers, goats are better hedge and tree trimmers.

but still looks lovely for them. and yes, they suffer from foot rot and just plain dont like wet ground.

here, the prime slaughtering age is up to 6-8 months, before they reach sexual maturity and start smelling. and filed grazed is preferred. my experience is with milchers not meat for the most part though.... and not done goats now for three years...but i still have my goat fetish...

btw, if the mother is a good birther/mother, her daughters will be so for the most part. if the mother is not a good birther consistenly, nor a good mother, get rid of her (unless u bottle feed all your goat kids)

bina

israel

Hi Bina

The reason we went for this fencing in the first place was to have a multiple use, ie, we could use it for cattle or goats. U r right it is bit too much for goats but even then it has saved us lot of running around. Also, this fence keep unwanted dogs or cows out. We have been using mollasses from day one in the feed and it has been good so far. Actually with rice hey it goes well. These are boer/anglo breed. We are not good at animal husbandry yet but there is lot of help from govt. official with feed and animal well being. But any suggestions from u r welcome as you have had a better experience then us.

thanks