Thai Land Transport Dept To Crack Down Taxis Without Driving License By May 1

webfact

Land Transport Dept to Crack Down Taxis Without Driving License By May 1

taxiD_license.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department will initiate a crackdown on taxi drivers who do not have a valid driving license by this upcoming May 1st, as they found out that more than 20 percent out of the 120,000 registered cabs are not formally registered.

Land Transport Department director-general Somchai Siriwattanachok said his department will deploy officials to inspect 120,000 taxi drivers registered within the system.

Out of that number, about 100,000 cabs are owned under an enterprise while the remaining 20,000 are privately owned.

Taxi drivers found without a valid driving license will face dispensary action. As of now, more than 20,000 taxi drivers or around 20 percent of the system do are not formally registered, which affects the safety of passengers.

Initially, the Land Transport Department has distributed a letter to more than 100 taxi owners to clarify about the matter, and that violators will be fined 2,000 baht.

Somchai further said that the new measures would restrict the number of taxis in the system to meet the actual consumer demand.

Taxi drivers without a driving license will have their registration immediately revoked.

Passengers can recheck if a taxi driver has a license by observing their identification card and observe whether their photo matches the driver.

Passengers can report taxi drivers without a license to the Land Transport department by calling 1584 around the clock.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-23

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a taxi is involved in an accident -and - you happen to be the pax; while the driver does not hold a valid driver's License: then the insurance will not cover such an accident: this is the fabulous "sting-in-the-tail" of this entire story ! !

I.o.w.; as usual; we're delivered to the dog called "Chance"

"...as they found out that more than 20 percent out of the 120,000 registered cabs are not formally registered"

What? "..... Registered Cabs are not formally registered" ? so there is a way to "informally" register the Cabs..... so I guess we should be expecting some news for the crackdown for "informally registering bureau" pretty soon then?

Maybe not.... perhaps they don't know that those bureau exists....

Taxi drivers found without a valid driving license will face dispensary action.

Forced medication ?? Sounds a bit brutal.

Passengers can recheck if a taxi driver has a license by observing their identification card and observe whether their photo matches the driver.

I don't think I've ever taken a taxi in which the driver looked even remotely like the photo on display.

cheesy.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

• Like 1

Yawn, this is just the yearly public annoucement of a crackdown on taxis. Standby for the next yearly announcement in Apr 13.

Now you will know the govt is getting really serious when they start having this announcement semi-annually versus annually.

It is difficult to observe whether the photo on the identification card matches the driver's face. All one usually sees is the back of their head. Those sitting beside the driver may see his profile, but it is not easy for the passenger to get a full view of the face of the taxi driver.

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

Phil, is that photo taken in Colorado?

By 1st May, but which year?

Obviously it isn't necessary to present a valid licence - there's an oxymoron in there somewhere - in order to have the meter fitted; or, for that matter, adjusted.

And as a matter of interest, there are taxis on the roads which have receipt machines fitted; though not many, and I haven't seen one for a while.

A taxi driver hit the car of my friend a few years ago and when the police showed up they told my friend that the taxi driver doesn't have a license nor an insurance and that my friend will have to pay for the damage to his car himself!!!

I would go the other way:

Make a cheapo taxi service where you pay only half the price.

And a regular taxi service, which has somehow the bottom of usual international quality.

No way, you find someone in Thailand who can drive more than 5 min without asking if you want massage, how many children you have and if your wife is beautiful.....But at least they should find the street or have a GPS

Nice to hear that taxi drivers are getting their own medicine - is it a special dispensation?

On a tangential topic, it's also gratifying to read the words "crack down" which, despite usually forming a single entity, are almost synonymous with the worthy Royal Thai Police.

"Here a crackdown,

there a crackdown,

everywhere a crackdown.

Old Cap'n McChalerm had a crackdown,

Ee-ay ee-ay oh."

Edited by asdecas

Why do they need to wait until 1st May to start the crackdown? Start immediately and arrest the corrupt and/or negligent officials who have allowed this situation to occur, increasing passengers' risk of murders, rapes and robberies committed by taxi drivers who may think they are less traceable while driving an unlicensed cab. I think a lot of the cabbies, as well as the motor bike taxi drivers, don't have valid driving licenses, just that blown up thing in the window that can easily be faked. The one I had a collision with once got fined by Lumpini Police for not having a licence. That was not that he had left it at home but he didn't have one at all. The fine was only B500, so what the hell.

I remember after a taxi driver was arrested for shooting several female passengers in the back of his cab for fun a police general announced that it was illegal for taxis to have central locking systems enabling them to lock the passengers in the cab while they go about their gristly work. If this is really a law, it is also time to enforce this. Nearly every time I get into a cab I hear the disquieting sound of the driver locking me in.

Why do they need to wait until 1st May to start the crackdown? Start immediately and arrest the corrupt and/or negligent officials who have allowed this situation to occur, increasing passengers' risk of murders, rapes and robberies committed by taxi drivers who may think they are less traceable while driving an unlicensed cab. I think a lot of the cabbies, as well as the motor bike taxi drivers, don't have valid driving licenses, just that blown up thing in the window that can easily be faked. The one I had a collision with once got fined by Lumpini Police for not having a licence. That was not that he had left it at home but he didn't have one at all. The fine was only B500, so what the hell.

I remember after a taxi driver was arrested for shooting several female passengers in the back of his cab for fun a police general announced that it was illegal for taxis to have central locking systems enabling them to lock the passengers in the cab while they go about their gristly work. If this is really a law, it is also time to enforce this. Nearly every time I get into a cab I hear the disquieting sound of the driver locking me in.

1st May to give the public time to prepare for a 2 weeks without Taxis......

Having ground my axe about taxis above, it has to be said that fares which have not been adjusted for over 10 years are far too low (presumably they were too high at the time they were last adjusted LOL) and cab drivers have a rotten life spending their days and nights in Bangkok traffic in shitty, unroadworthy vehicles with crap aircon that doesn't filter out the fumes properly.

If they are pleasant, drive carefully, don't whinge, don't have a cab with an unpleasant plasticky stench or stink themselves, don't try to lecture me with red shirt bullsh*t, don't play mor lam music or red shirt propaganda loudly on the radio , don't try to speak pijjin English with me in response to my Thai, don't watch TV or videos while driving, don't have an argument with a girlfriend on a hand held phone while driving, I always give them a reasonable tip, eg B30 on a B70 fare. This must be quite uncommon in Bangkok, as some cabbies are visibly shocked.

Edited by Arkady

I wonder what would happen on getting into a taxi if i asked to see his driving licence?

They will tell you that Wat Poh is closed today, but they can bring you around for shopping.

Because that is the only thing they can speak in English.....

I wonder what would happen on getting into a taxi if i asked to see his driving licence?

He would show you the blown up thing they put in the window that has been faked in a photocopy shop from some one else's expired licence.

Having ground my axe about taxis above, it has to be said that fares which have not been adjusted for over 10 years are far too low (presumably they were too high at the time they were last adjusted LOL) and cab drivers have a rotten life spending their days and nights in Bangkok traffic in shitty, unroadworthy vehicles with crap aircon that doesn't filter out the fumes properly.

If they are pleasant, drive carefully, don't whinge, don't have a cab with an unpleasant plasticky stench or stink themselves, don't try to lecture me with red shirt bullsh*t, don't play mor lam music or red shirt propaganda loudly on the radio , don't try to speak pijjin English with me in response to my Thai, don't watch TV or videos while driving, don't have an argument with a girlfriend on a hand held phone while driving, I always give them a reasonable tip, eg B30 on a B70 fare. This must be quite uncommon in Bangkok, as some cabbies are visibly shocked.

I recall, not long time ago there was an increase of fares. I remember the troubles adjusting the meters.....

An active Taxi Driver can make a lot money in a short time. Sure 2000 Baht per day shouldn't be a problem.

He would show you the blown up thing they put in the window that has been faked in a photocopy shop from some one else's expired licence.

Often enough the picture shows someone in the 50 year range and the boy driving looked like 16.

Or the picture shows a man and a woman was driving....

It is difficult to observe whether the photo on the identification card matches the driver's face. All one usually sees is the back of their head. Those sitting beside the driver may see his profile, but it is not easy for the passenger to get a full view of the face of the taxi driver.

I have a few relatives who are taxi drivers. The picture on the displayed license is the "owner" of the car, who usually rents it out to 2 drivers who do split shifts. About the same thing happens in New York City. Cabbies don't own the medallions, too expensive. They just rent the cars.