BANGKOK 17 July 2019 00:14
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thai Land Transport Dept To Crack Down Taxis Without Driving License By May 1

Land Transport Dept to Crack Down Taxis Without Driving License By May 1

taxiD_license.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department will initiate a crackdown on taxi drivers who do not have a valid driving license by this upcoming May 1st, as they found out that more than 20 percent out of the 120,000 registered cabs are not formally registered.

Land Transport Department director-general Somchai Siriwattanachok said his department will deploy officials to inspect 120,000 taxi drivers registered within the system.

Out of that number, about 100,000 cabs are owned under an enterprise while the remaining 20,000 are privately owned.

Taxi drivers found without a valid driving license will face dispensary action. As of now, more than 20,000 taxi drivers or around 20 percent of the system do are not formally registered, which affects the safety of passengers.

Initially, the Land Transport Department has distributed a letter to more than 100 taxi owners to clarify about the matter, and that violators will be fined 2,000 baht.

Somchai further said that the new measures would restrict the number of taxis in the system to meet the actual consumer demand.

Taxi drivers without a driving license will have their registration immediately revoked.

Passengers can recheck if a taxi driver has a license by observing their identification card and observe whether their photo matches the driver.

Passengers can report taxi drivers without a license to the Land Transport department by calling 1584 around the clock.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-23

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

This may be difficult to enforce, but the driving in Thailand is crazy enough as it is....

Taxi drivers found without a valid driving license will face dispensary action.

Thats about a 1000 Baht I think for the BIB

If a taxi is involved in an accident -and - you happen to be the pax; while the driver does not hold a valid driver's License: then the insurance will not cover such an accident: this is the fabulous "sting-in-the-tail" of this entire story ! !

I.o.w.; as usual; we're delivered to the dog called "Chance"

"...as they found out that more than 20 percent out of the 120,000 registered cabs are not formally registered"

What? "..... Registered Cabs are not formally registered" ? so there is a way to "informally" register the Cabs..... so I guess we should be expecting some news for the crackdown for "informally registering bureau" pretty soon then?

Maybe not.... perhaps they don't know that those bureau exists....

"Somchai further said that the new measures would restrict the number of taxis in the system to meet the actual consumer demand."

When is rains they need more, not less.

• Like 1

Taxi drivers found without a valid driving license will face dispensary action.

Forced medication ?? Sounds a bit brutal.

Passengers can recheck if a taxi driver has a license by observing their identification card and observe whether their photo matches the driver.

I don't think I've ever taken a taxi in which the driver looked even remotely like the photo on display.

cheesy.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

• Like 1

Yawn, this is just the yearly public annoucement of a crackdown on taxis. Standby for the next yearly announcement in Apr 13.

Now you will know the govt is getting really serious when they start having this announcement semi-annually versus annually.

It is difficult to observe whether the photo on the identification card matches the driver's face. All one usually sees is the back of their head. Those sitting beside the driver may see his profile, but it is not easy for the passenger to get a full view of the face of the taxi driver.