Thai Land Transport Dept To Crack Down Taxis Without Driving License By May 1

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this be the same group that is cracking down on phony purses and Rolex's? Why do they even publish these things? We know the cops will do absolutely nothing about either issue. Phony crap still being sold everywhere right in front of the cops so how the heck are they going to catch the taxi guys?

what about kids obviously not old enough riding motorbikes past policemen on the way to school?

how about just police crack down on rule breakers and enforce the true rule of law...

There is NO credible police force in LOS. The road carnage will go on cos nobody cares about the job they are paid to do. Sad really. sad.png

It is difficult to observe whether the photo on the identification card matches the driver's face. All one usually sees is the back of their head. Those sitting beside the driver may see his profile, but it is not easy for the passenger to get a full view of the face of the taxi driver.

I have a few relatives who are taxi drivers. The picture on the displayed license is the "owner" of the car, who usually rents it out to 2 drivers who do split shifts. About the same thing happens in New York City. Cabbies don't own the medallions, too expensive. They just rent the cars.

Only the green and yellow cabs are owned by individuals (usually with finance) who are usually drivers themselves and may decide to rent them out to other drivers, if they know any they can trust. The pink ones are owned by the large taxi firms that are controlled by gangsters who have the muscle available to deal with tenant drivers who run off. There is a radio programme that gives details of taxi drivers who have failed to return their cabs after their shifts. So disappearances must be quite common.

Having ground my axe about taxis above, it has to be said that fares which have not been adjusted for over 10 years are far too low (presumably they were too high at the time they were last adjusted LOL) and cab drivers have a rotten life spending their days and nights in Bangkok traffic in shitty, unroadworthy vehicles with crap aircon that doesn't filter out the fumes properly.

If they are pleasant, drive carefully, don't whinge, don't have a cab with an unpleasant plasticky stench or stink themselves, don't try to lecture me with red shirt bullsh*t, don't play mor lam music or red shirt propaganda loudly on the radio , don't try to speak pijjin English with me in response to my Thai, don't watch TV or videos while driving, don't have an argument with a girlfriend on a hand held phone while driving, I always give them a reasonable tip, eg B30 on a B70 fare. This must be quite uncommon in Bangkok, as some cabbies are visibly shocked.

I recall, not long time ago there was an increase of fares. I remember the troubles adjusting the meters.....

An active Taxi Driver can make a lot money in a short time. Sure 2000 Baht per day shouldn't be a problem.

You may be right in saying the cost per km has been increased but the flagfall of B35 has been in place since meter taxis were reintroduced in Bangkok which was around 1992 and is about the lowest in the world. Successive governments have always argued against fare increases on the grounds that they subsidise LPG. There was an announcement last month that the government was planning to increase the cost per km, still without increasing the flagfall, by mid-April but nothing more has been heard of it. Not increasing the flagfall seems to be a trick to create inflation without most people noticing it.

Taxi drivers will still try to reject any one going further than a minimum fare distance, even if the flagfall stays at B35, thus harming themselves. Last week 3 cabs refused to take me to Asoke citing heavy traffic at a time in the evening when it is usually quite light. When I finally got a cab to take me there was hardly any traffic, as I had suspected. I somewhat hoped the 3 idiots who refused my fare were still driving around aimlessly burning LPG looking for that elusive minimum fare when I got to Asoke giving the driver a decent tip.

Edited by Arkady

A taxi driver hit the car of my friend a few years ago and when the police showed up they told my friend that the taxi driver doesn't have a license nor an insurance and that my friend will have to pay for the damage to his car himself!!!

Isn't that how "no-fault" laws work anyway? Funny how legal systems at both ends of the affluence spectrum manage to arrive at the same outcome.

It is difficult to observe whether the photo on the identification card matches the driver's face. All one usually sees is the back of their head. Those sitting beside the driver may see his profile, but it is not easy for the passenger to get a full view of the face of the taxi driver.

I have a few relatives who are taxi drivers. The picture on the displayed license is the "owner" of the car, who usually rents it out to 2 drivers who do split shifts. About the same thing happens in New York City. Cabbies don't own the medallions, too expensive. They just rent the cars.

You were clearly born into a family of movers and shakers.

And Crack-ups................ooops, double meaning.

Why dont the powers that be check on all road users for driving licences ??? or is that too much of a problem for the law enforcers. They could do everyone a favour by going on strike for an indefinite period....lol

Taxi drivers found without a valid driving license will face dispensary action.

Forced medication ?? Sounds a bit brutal.

Passengers can recheck if a taxi driver has a license by observing their identification card and observe whether their photo matches the driver.

I don't think I've ever taken a taxi in which the driver looked even remotely like the photo on display.

That's because the pics are so old...like when they first became taxi drivers. I guess no process exists for keeping them up to date.

Taxi drivers will still try to reject any one going further than a minimum fare distance, even if the flagfall stays at B35, thus harming themselves. Last week 3 cabs refused to take me to Asoke citing heavy traffic at a time in the evening when it is usually quite light. When I finally got a cab to take me there was hardly any traffic, as I had suspected. I somewhat hoped the 3 idiots who refused my fare were still driving around aimlessly burning LPG looking for that elusive minimum fare when I got to Asoke giving the driver a decent tip.

The last time I was in Bangkok I took taxis three times and in each case the driver asked if I would agree to a set amount rather than use the meter. From experience I knew the amounts asked were reasonable (unlike one tuktuk driver who assumed I was a newly arrived tourist and asked for Baht 250 to go from Surawong to Central World ... which was good for a lot of laughs anyway).

I agreed. He was undoubtedly screwing the owner, but I don't see that as my problem and I have to believe the owners know that sort of thing is going on.

Edited by Suradit69

what about kids obviously not old enough riding motorbikes past policemen on the way to school?

how about just police crack down on rule breakers and enforce the true rule of law...

100% agreed.

"Rule of law"...hahaha, that's a good one. I guess you forgot what country you were in.

i guess, they will just go buy their licence, isn't there a famous area for that kind of purpose ?

sure explains the formula one driver style of most taxi drivers in this country ...

me me me, first first first

100% agreed.

"Rule of law"...hahaha, that's a good one. I guess you forgot what country you were in.

My friend's wife is a reacher. The school was holding a meeting with police to dicuss the law. He said such as telling the kids not to use motorcycles to get to and from school. She gave him the look, and replied. Don't be stupid, if they don't use motorbikes, how do they get to school?

The last time I was in Bangkok I took taxis three times and in each case the driver asked if I would agree to a set amount rather than use the meter. From experience I knew the amounts asked were reasonable (unlike one tuktuk driver who assumed I was a newly arrived tourist and asked for Baht 250 to go from Surawong to Central World ... which was good for a lot of laughs anyway).

I agreed. He was undoubtedly screwing the owner, but I don't see that as my problem and I have to believe the owners know that sort of thing is going on.

He was trying to screw you, not the owner of the cab. The owners don't care how much the drivers make on the meter which they know can easily be fiddled. They charge them a flat rate per day. The Revenue Department also taxes them at a flat rate per vehicle at a declining rate based on its age. They know any accounts presented would be fraudulent but make an allowance for repairs and and days off the road for older vehicles.

This practice of asking for a flat off meter fare is reserved for tourists, except in times of crisis like when the BTS is suspended due to terrorist activity sponsored by local billionaires. If you speak comprehensible Thai to the driver, he will almost never ask for a fixed fare. He will gaze in the middle distance for a bit and refuse to take you at all instead. The latter is marginally preferable to being treating like a moron.

By accepting a fixed fare like that, even if you think it is reasonable, you only encourage cabbies to try to cheat other tourists. You should just ask him to switch on the meter and, if he fails to comply, waive him on.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

Having ground my axe about taxis above, it has to be said that fares which have not been adjusted for over 10 years are far too low (presumably they were too high at the time they were last adjusted LOL) and cab drivers have a rotten life spending their days and nights in Bangkok traffic in shitty, unroadworthy vehicles with crap aircon that doesn't filter out the fumes properly.

If they are pleasant, drive carefully, don't whinge, don't have a cab with an unpleasant plasticky stench or stink themselves, don't try to lecture me with red shirt bullsh*t, don't play mor lam music or red shirt propaganda loudly on the radio , don't try to speak pijjin English with me in response to my Thai, don't watch TV or videos while driving, don't have an argument with a girlfriend on a hand held phone while driving, I always give them a reasonable tip, eg B30 on a B70 fare. This must be quite uncommon in Bangkok, as some cabbies are visibly shocked.

I recall, not long time ago there was an increase of fares. I remember the troubles adjusting the meters.....

An active Taxi Driver can make a lot money in a short time. Sure 2000 Baht per day shouldn't be a problem.

You may be right in saying the cost per km has been increased but the flagfall of B35 has been in place since meter taxis were reintroduced in Bangkok which was around 1992 and is about the lowest in the world. Successive governments have always argued against fare increases on the grounds that they subsidise LPG. There was an announcement last month that the government was planning to increase the cost per km, still without increasing the flagfall, by mid-April but nothing more has been heard of it. Not increasing the flagfall seems to be a trick to create inflation without most people noticing it.

you right, it was the cost per km.....

I was frequently rejected because going "too far". While never for short distances.

Right thing would be to reduce the 35 Baht to 30 Baht.

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

Maybe someday when Thailand is no longer a Third World developing country, that will be possible. For as long as there are motorcycles riding up and down the sidewalks (which in every developed country, even in Asia) are dedicated to pedestrians. For as long as you have the BIB willing to take "Tea Money" to look the other way, that will not be possible. How can it be that the major airport in the country, the showcase of Thailand, from the beginning of operation has been plagued by scandals, scams (even the outrageous collusion of King Power and police officers at the airport), parking lot mafia, taxi mafia, a "Premium service" that fleeces tourists as they arrive in this country thinking that there is respect for the law, and tourists, such as in Korea, Japan, etc.? It has been happening forever. After the crackdown, there will be more unlicensed taxi drivers, motorcycles on the sidewalks, children (literally), without an inkling of safety much less a driver license, roaming about under the noses of policemen entrusted with the enforcement of the law. When that mentality evolves, maybe, just maybe that will happen.

There are some posters that would rather choke than admit such low associations.

To see the driver's face, say the magic words "Mai mi Satang!"

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

Thailand is way ahead of Korea on that. The taxi market is already finely segmented. We already have pedal samlors, motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, pok poks, meter taxis and the airport limousine service. What you are suggesting would be tantamount to expanding the rip off of the airport limousine service to the rest of the city. A friend who visits Bkk nearly every month was in the habit of actually using that overpriced service until they took his B1,000 while there was a commotion going on at the counter, quickly hid it and then pretended not to have received the money. He called the police and insisted they inspect security camera footage but the plods who were obviously in on the scam claimed the pictures were unclear but refused to let him see for himself. Now he goes downstairs and takes the non-premium service where there is now a queue manager working outside in the heat and the fumes who actually does a better job of protecting tourists (and locals) than the swanky looking uniformed limousine service girls at the airconditioned counters upstairs.

I have the exact same policy on tipping cabbies. Last time I tipped was ..... erm...... can't remember.....

When given the choice, I try to flag down a cab that looks relatively new and smart - rather than a 10yr old+ one with a wing on the boot and "sporty" wheels. They tend to meet half of the dozen or so criteria you've listed.

If a taxi is involved in an accident -and - you happen to be the pax; while the driver does not hold a valid driver's License: then the insurance will not cover such an accident: this is the fabulous "sting-in-the-tail" of this entire story ! !

I.o.w.; as usual; we're delivered to the dog called "Chance"

That means (for example) if you lose your leg from the hypothetical accident, you will miss out on your would-be "MASSIVE" 5,000 baht of compensation w00t.gif . Possibly even 7,000 baht.

Passengers can recheck if a taxi driver has a license by observing their identification card and observe whether their photo matches the driver.

I don't think I've ever taken a taxi in which the driver looked even remotely like the photo on display.

Forced medication.... cheesy.gif

How would you know if the photo looked like the driver? The photo is not of the back of his head.

What you need to look at are the tires. Small wheels are installed to rack up faster kilometer increments, higher fares.

Edited by unanimosity

There are some posters that would rather choke than admit such low associations.

To see the driver's face, say the magic words "Mai mi Satang!"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Have you ever tried looking in the 'Rear view Mirror'? That might just do the trick; as they work both ways!

Sounds par for the course - grade one will have tablets forced upon them the year apparently:)