Thai Land Transport Dept To Crack Down Taxis Without Driving License By May 1

webfact

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

Raise the price! What a great idea then taxi's will be completely out of the price range of the average Thai person. Why don't you just go and buy a car and let those with less money travel by taxi?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A taxi driver hit the car of my friend a few years ago and when the police showed up they told my friend that the taxi driver doesn't have a license nor an insurance and that my friend will have to pay for the damage to his car himself!!!

This is why its a good idea to have first class car insurance. Call them, a guy comes along, the police are scared because the insurance guys actually know the laws of the road, the insurance guy makes dam_n sure the taxi driver pays up, otherwise he's out of a bonus as the insurance company has got to pay. I never usually recommend insurance, but first class in this country is a worthwhile investment.

You must have been lucky with the insurance company guys. I have some that showed up hours late with a feeble excuse and were not very helpful. One even seemed to be trying to accept a bribe from the other driver (a company driver with no driving licence!) to persuade me to pretend that I had caused the damage, even though my car was stationary in a car park when he collided with it, so that he could conceal the incident from his boss and not get fired.

Considering the volume and the economic range of taxi customers here, it would be nice to see them offer a premium taxi service as seen in Korea. Average taxis there are ok but the premium taxis offer a better ride(car is higher end), drivers drive better and they provide you with a receipt printed out by a machine when the journey is completed. No disrespect to the current lot of drivers and vehicles but I prefer to not have to listen to politics/country music/religious chanting on the radio while going from A to B, not to mention the 'scents' of Thai taxis, let alone the condition of the cars. I say raise the prices and the standards/professionalism too.

Raise the price! What a great idea then taxi's will be completely out of the price range of the average Thai person. Why don't you just go and buy a car and let those with less money travel by taxi?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

A premium taxi service is a nice idea but you are not considering the power of the gangsters who own the taxi "cooperatives" or the politicians they pay off. The taxi drivers are also nearly all red shirt supporters and this would not be a vote getter for Pheua Thai.

But why? Why crack down on the drivers who do not have licenses?

I understand the principle behind obeying the law and being properly licensed, but it is that principle alone that makes me wonder why the government is wasting time yet again to single out an issue that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever; especially when one looks around at all the unlicensed Thai vendors, merchants, drivers, touts, tour operators, minivan drivers, limousine drivers, pet "owners", land squatters, etc. This doesn't even cover the corruption of illegal police stops, prostitution, drugs, etc.

This is another one of those news items where we are told what is going to be done, but yet again there is no justification or reason provided that describes the immediate and long-term benefit to to the general public.

So again; why bother at all? They are small potatoes compared to more practical things to crack down on. What a waste to the general public, and what a crime to the officials who bloat their budgets to tackle senseless issues like this, simply so they can appear to be doing something.

Bureaucracy! What a sham!

Yawn, this is just the yearly public annoucement of a crackdown on taxis. Standby for the next yearly announcement in Apr 13.

Now you will know the govt is getting really serious when they start having this announcement semi-annually versus annually.

I think the 1 May is when the illegal taxis start there annual leave, if it was not planned it is now!

Having ground my axe about taxis above, it has to be said that fares which have not been adjusted for over 10 years are far too low

The fares have been adjusted several times over the last 10 years.

CYBORGX

You forgot to mention the ability to get some free sex (of a sort) by having your gf/bf/your hand in the right place while the taxi drivers foot goes up and down on the brake or gas pedal constantly. Save you a bunch of money for a good chok- wow and no one has to do any work!!w00t.gif ! Most taxi drivers have only two positions for their foot on either the gas or brake pedal - either all the way off or all the way down!

Don't think that very many were ever taught the basics of driving, much less smooth driving. When I get a smooth driver going home late in the evening - after slamming the doors on the ones who want "NO METER", he or she will get a 30 baht tip on a seventy baht ride. And as some other posters have mentioned, they are often quite surprised and are happy to Wie you when you get out of the cab. And at certain taxi stands, I have a couple of drivers who shout out my street and want me to use their cabs, knowing they will get that tip. No, I don't think I am ruining it for other's - if we can't afford a dollar for a tip for a job well done, then we are a poor lot and should be riding the buses instead - IMHO !

Edited by snooky

CYBORGX

You forgot to mention the ability to get some free sex (of a sort) by having your gf/bf/your hand in the right place while the taxi drivers foot goes up and down on the brake or gas pedal constantly. Save you a bunch of money for a good chok- wow and no one has to do any work!!w00t.gif ! Most taxi drivers have only two positions for their foot on either the gas or brake pedal - either all the way off or all the way down!

Don't think that very many were ever taught the basics of driving, much less smooth driving. When I get a smooth driver going home late in the evening - after slamming the doors on the ones who want "NO METER", he or she will get a 30 baht tip on a seventy baht ride. And as some other posters have mentioned, they are often quite surprised and are happy to Wie you when you get out of the cab. And at certain taxi stands, I have a couple of drivers who shout out my street and want me to use their cabs, knowing they will get that tip. No, I don't think I am ruining it for other's - if we can't afford a dollar for a tip for a job well done, then we are a poor lot and should be riding the buses instead - IMHO !

Why are you directing at me and SHOUTING, but don't quote what you are responding to? From what I can tell, your diatribe and childish comment has nothing to do with ANYTHING I said, and you don't seem to disagree with my basic sentiments anyway, that their driving and attitude is awful. Guess you are just trolling for an argument. You won't get it here, too busy and better things to do.....

Having ground my axe about taxis above, it has to be said that fares which have not been adjusted for over 10 years are far too low

The fares have been adjusted several times over the last 10 years.

Crap! The flag fall was 35 Baht in 2001 when I worked in Bangkok and the fare from Don Muang to my where I normally stay in BKK has not varied much around 220 Baht between then and now!

Taxi's are always on TV members ax grinder. In all my years coming to Thailand I have had few troubles with taxis. I would rather have a crackdown on the cockroaches (motor cycles) than the taxis. The cockroaches cutting in front of cars, buses, trucks, drive against traffic, drive on the sidewalks, drive between traffic, drive slowly or drive too fast, drive randomly back and forth on the road. Hinder movement of all other vehicles with little or no regard for themselves or other motorists. Drive with most of their lights not working so they are almost impossible to see at night.

Yep the taxis' are definitely the problem.