Heng

Harriet's Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups sifted regular all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

6-7 tablespoons cold shortening

About 2/3 to 3/4 cup milk

Heat oven to 450F (very hot).

Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add shortening, and cut it in, using either a pastry blender or two knives, used scissor-fashion, until mixture is in very small crumbs. (It's easier to cut in cold shortening, but not absolutely necessary for it to be cold.)

Make a well (a shallow hole) in the center of the flour, and pour in 1/2 cup of milk. Mix lightly with a fork. Dough should be just moist enough to leave the sides of the bowl and cling to the fork in a ball. If necessary, add a bit more milk.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently six or seven times.

Lightly roll out dough with floured rolling pin, starting from center, lifting rolling pin as you near the edges. Roll dough 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick for high, fluffy biscuits, or 1/4 inch for thin crusty ones. (I prefer 1/2 inch.)

With floured biscuit cutter (or any round cutter, such as a small glass dipped in flour), cut out biscuits, using a straight, not twisting, motion. Between each cut, dip cutter in flour.

Place cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. If you want them soft, place them with sides nearly touching. For crustier biscuits, place 1 inch apart. (I like them soft.)

Gather trimmings together; roll and cut as before. Handle dough as little as possible. The less handling, the more tender the biscuit. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until delicate golden brown. Serve HOT, with lots of butter. (From which comes that favorite Southern expression, "Take two and butter 'em while they're hot!") And jelly or honey is good with them, too--on top of the melted butter, of course; we must add calories as we go!

This recipe makes 19 or 20 two-inch biscuits.

If you don't want to go to all the trouble of rolling and cutting, you can make drop biscuits. Just increase the milk to one cup, and drop by tablespoonsfuls onto the baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Or you can roll them out once and cut into squares or triangles or diamonds and bake as directed.

For extra-rich biscuits, increase the amount of shortening to 1/2 cup.

"My mother learned how to make this while we lived in Nashville many years ago, and it is now a family favorite. Good old-fashioned sausage gravy. It's her most requested recipe from family and friends alike. Serve over biscuits or toast."

Original recipe yield: 8 servings.

Prep Time:5 Minutes

Cook Time:25 Minutes

Ready In:30 Minutes

Servings:8 (change)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound ground pork sausage

3 tablespoons bacon grease

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Set aside, leaving the drippings in the skillet.

Mix bacon grease into the sausage drippings. Reduce heat to medium, combine with flour, and stir constantly until mixture just turns golden brown.

Gradually whisk milk into skillet. When the mixture is smooth, thickened, and begins to bubble, return the sausage to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes.

I do not take credit for either of these recepes and got both from the Internet search.

Hope this helps out.

KFC Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup club soda

1 beaten egg

3/4 cup butter milk

1 teaspoon salt

5 cups Bisquick Biscuit Mix

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine all of the ingredients,

knead the dough by hand until the dough holds together do not

over knead. Flour your hands Pat the dough flat to 3/4-inch

thickness out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Bake on a greased

baking sheet for 13 minutes, or until golden brown, when

they come out of the oven brush with melted butter. Makes 18 biscuits.

Sausage Gravy

1 lb. pork breakfast sausage

3 Tbls. bacon grease OR lard OR shortening

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 beef bouillon cube

1 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

-Brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat; remove sausage from pan.

-Stir bacon grease/lard/shortening into sausage drippings and return to medium heat.

-Stir flour into pan and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown.

-Gradually whisk milk into pan.

-Cook until mixture begins to simmer, then add sausage, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to pan.

-Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened.

Jimmy Dean’s Sausage (3 types)

Sage

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple

16 ounces ground pork

3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

1/4 teaspoon coriander Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.

Hope this helps out.

KFC Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup club soda

1 beaten egg

3/4 cup butter milk

1 teaspoon salt

5 cups Bisquick Biscuit Mix

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine all of the ingredients,

knead the dough by hand until the dough holds together do not

over knead. Flour your hands Pat the dough flat to 3/4-inch

thickness out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Bake on a greased

baking sheet for 13 minutes, or until golden brown, when

they come out of the oven brush with melted butter. Makes 18 biscuits.

Sausage Gravy

1 lb. pork breakfast sausage

3 Tbls. bacon grease OR lard OR shortening

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 beef bouillon cube

1 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

-Brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat; remove sausage from pan.

-Stir bacon grease/lard/shortening into sausage drippings and return to medium heat.

-Stir flour into pan and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown.

-Gradually whisk milk into pan.

-Cook until mixture begins to simmer, then add sausage, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to pan.

-Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened.

Jimmy Dean’s Sausage (3 types)

Sage

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple

16 ounces ground pork

3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

1/4 teaspoon coriander Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.

folks...please think about the availability of ingredients when in Thailand...for each wonderful recipie I would like to extend my hand and have the ingredients miracoulsly appear. Lets look at the possibilities when there are only thai ingredients on the horizon...

it is frustrating...at times one consideres that locals conspire to deprive falangs of what they need to prepare falang food 'here's sumpin' that smells like excrement...please to prepare with 'river fish meat loaf...'

gimme a break...

All the ingredients listed above are readily available at Foodland or Best. Apparently the biggest problem with acquiring them is getting the initiative to get out from behind the computer screen.

give us all a break.

Is Bisquick mix available in Thailand? :o

I've seen and bought Bisquick at Foodland and Best.

But just in case you can't find it...

Basic Baking Mix

like Bisquick®

10 cups all-purpose flour

3/8 cup baking powder

1 tsp. cream of tartar

1 1/4 cup powdered milk

1 1/2 Tbls. salt

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 lb. (2 cups) shortening

All the ingredients listed above are readily available at Foodland or Best. Apparently the biggest problem with acquiring them is getting the initiative to get out from behind the computer screen.

give us all a break.

you tryin' to say that fresh butter milk is available in BKK?...if so, maybe I'll drive the distance from Suphanburi to buy some...

(...'give me a break'?...'give us a break'?...mumble, grumble...)

give us all a break.

you tryin' to say that fresh butter milk is available in BKK?...if so, maybe I'll drive the distance from Suphanburi to buy some...

(...'give me a break'?...'give us a break'?...mumble, grumble...)

Break some Buckfast now chaps..... :o

Decheeso and Art Cafe in Chiang Mai sell fresh buttermilk.

oh yeah?...then maybe I'll schedule 2 X the journey to CM, accommodation included...an' call it 'The Buttermilk Express' mebbe wid a liitle bit left over for the legendary hangover cure... :D:o:D

but seriously folks, I'd sell my stepdaughter's virginity for a little Bisquick and I would compromise the honor of all of my nieces for a 5lb bag of Aunt Jemima cornmeal...you guys in the major areas got it nice...not like us in the barbarian hinterlands...

If buttermilk is an issue, make your own...

Substitution

Buttermilk (sourmilk) = 1 cup whole milk and 1 tbsp of white vinegar

If vinegar is an issue, make your own...

White Vinegar

Put into a cask a mixture composed of five gallons of water, two gallons of whiskey, and a quart of strong yeast, stirring in two pounds of powdered charcoal. Place it where it will ferment properly, leaving the bung loose till the fermentation is over, but covering the hole slightly to keep out the dust and insects. At the end of four months draw it off, and you will have a fine vinegar, as clear and colourless as water.

If buttermilk is an issue, make your own...

Substitution

Buttermilk (sourmilk) = 1 cup whole milk and 1 tbsp of white vinegar

If vinegar is an issue, make your own...

White Vinegar

Put into a cask a mixture composed of five gallons of water, two gallons of whiskey, and a quart of strong yeast, stirring in two pounds of powdered charcoal. Place it where it will ferment properly, leaving the bung loose till the fermentation is over, but covering the hole slightly to keep out the dust and insects. At the end of four months draw it off, and you will have a fine vinegar, as clear and colourless as water.

OK to substitue Sang Som for Glenmorangie? (mods, please note the effort to keep this thread Thai related...)...there is a problem with sourcing single malt in southern Suphan province...

Gee, I hate to interupt you guys swapping recipes, but to get back to the original question....

The answer is yes. Bangkok's new version of Woodstock, oddly relocated from Nana Plaza to little Japan just off Soi Thonglor, has biscuits and gravy on their menu. Apparently it's real sausage gravy, too, according to the manager, but better hurry. He also says the dish isn't very popular and they may drop it.

Gee, I hate to interupt you guys swapping recipes, but to get back to the original question....

The answer is yes. Bangkok's new version of Woodstock, oddly relocated from Nana Plaza to little Japan just off Soi Thonglor, has biscuits and gravy on their menu. Apparently it's real sausage gravy, too, according to the manager, but better hurry. He also says the dish isn't very popular and they may drop it.

biscuits and gravy were ever a theme in a kid's book (bob the dog)...let it lie...

(when accosted by a crazed falang maniac on Suk in a dirty raincoat ('WHERE ARE THE BISCUITS AND GRAVY?') just say that the issue has been discussed by reasonable people elsewhere...)

give us all a break...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Hey, I was just answering the guy's question since no one else really did. I didn't say I actually eat the things.

well...den I figure dat youse gots to 'Help yo' selp'...

(I figure that if you look in the frozen section of supers catering to falangs you may find buscuits available for reheating...add a can of bisto gravy to yer basket and bob's yer uncle...maybe later to make an obscene display for purposes of local girl seduction...)

Looks like Chiang Mai is the place to go for biscuits and gravy. Bake n' Bite on Chang Klan road next to the Chiang Mai Pantip Plaza, also serves the real deal.

Two homemade busicuits each one about the size of your fist, dripping with that cholesterol soaked white sausage gravy.

Took another american friend there, who had been in Thailand for four years, and tears of joy were welling up in his eyes when they put the plate in front of him.

They make a ###### good breakfast burrito too.

Edited by jaiyenjohn

Sojos in Chiang Mai, very close to Suriwong Books has good American buttermilk bisquits with butter, gravy, honey or strawberry jam.

Had a few today :o

Looks like Chiang Mai is the place to go for biscuits and gravy. Bake n' Bite on Chang Klan road next to the Chiang Mai Pantip Plaza, also serves the real deal.

Two homemade busicuits each one about the size of your fist, dripping with that cholesterol soaked white sausage gravy.

Took another american friend there, who had been in Thailand for four years, and tears of joy were welling up in his eyes when they put the plate in front of him.

They make a ###### good breakfast burrito too.

so...Chiang Mai seems to be the place to go...however this begs the question: usually when you can get stuff in restaurants, in Thailand it is difficult to find the ingredients to prepare the dishes yourself...unlike many other places...

there is no reasonable explanation...there must be an anti-falang conspiracy afoot...

• 2 weeks later...

give us all a break.

Is Bisquick mix available in Thailand? :o

If not or one of the stores isn't near you, then there is a recipe for homemade bisquick online. If you use "bisquick" you just don't have to add all the ingredients separtely each time. There's nothing wrong with using bisquick.

beachbunny