Thai Fishing Style In The Uk

jackinbkk

I started fishing on summer holidays to Ireland at my grand parents about 25 years ago. Just spinning for mackerel but I loved it. It used to make me want the summer to come quickly. Anyway from there I got a few rods and used similar methods spinning for Pike as a teenager.

Up until last year I pretty much never went fishing unless I was in Thailand but this year I decided to get a ticket for UK carp fishing.

So today I picked up 20kg of wheat bran. It's used as horse feed, and cost me 400 baht.(£8) I havent opened it up yet but i'm expecting it to be just like lam (rice bran). I am going to see if I can catch an English carp using the same method as you would for a siamese carp but with maybe a bread/corn hook bait. (Maybe on a hair rig) Using some 12lb line. Probably adding fishy flavours rather than sweet flavours.

What do you guys think? Anyone experienced with catching carp back in Europe, US or Aus etc?

It's going to be a challenge and anglers here will think i'm mad but I can't wait.

I tried massage bread a few times but the weather was still cold. No results yet.

• 1 month later...

The method UK carp tactic and will definitely catch except possibly specimen size fish. Only thing you will have to watch is that you don't get breamed or tenched out depending on the water you fish. Also the Thai method feeder used at BSR with two swivels at each end would not be regarded as fish-safe on most waters. You would need to use one which will run along the line above the swivel. Barbless hooks too though they will cost three times as much as the excellent Gamakatsu Iseama from Thailand! And of course unless you lower your tackle you will almost certainly be disappointed. A European carp fights less than half that of a Siamese carp in my opinion. Funnily enough, I will be fishing in the UK this summer for thevfirst time since I as a teenager but will not fish for carp to avoid the disappointment. Good luck.

Hey guys,

the one thing I had forgotten from fishing in Thailand is the seasonal changes. Now its warm the fish have been totally focused on making the next generation.

I do use the inline feeders to be fish safe. I've got loads of hooks off ebay. Also using UK carp rods which I used to use for pike. Only 2.5lb test curve. So far in 1 month of fishing I've caught no carp. I have done a few sessins after work. Usually 7pm to 9pm or 10pm. The water had been cold too. 10 degrees until a fortnight ago.

I totally agree that a UK fish can't put up a fight anywhere near as strong as a Thai fish. From what I remember about UK carp in the past vs siamese carp I've caught I'd say its 3, 4 or 5 times stronger on a lb for lb basis. There's no contest.

Unfortunately UK fishing is like pulling in a plastic bag. I'm just hoping light tackle can make it a bit fun.

Yesterday I did some lure fishing after work with a bass rod and abu 6500. That was nice. A few follows from some pike and one take which failed to hook up. Unbelievable on 2 treble hooks??? The lure was covered in teeth marks. The Houdini of pike.

• 1 month later...

Well it took about 100 days and in the end I used a PVA bag of fish pellets and some sweetcorn on a hair rig. So Thai methods havent worked yet. I think they will it's just that fish is the UK a bl**dy hard to catch! Even using boilies didnt work yet. Even though I caught a 6kg carp I've had better fights with 1kg pacus. bah.gif