Blinky Bill

Nienke

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great guy. Always on a big bike he cruised Chiangmai when not working down yonder. Yes a regular in the Escape Bar then old Eddie Greer sold him a share??? later at Ray's Aussie cafe but well liked by all & offered good advice & was wise. Sad those early days in Chiangmai in the 90's were perhaps the best years to be there--many parties in those days--- he joined us as we all had bikes. Times change but he was one of the better straight dudes never to be forgotten. Rest in Peace Ian--a true Aus & friend.

post-128-0-03253800-1335528057_thumb.jpg

Photo: Facebook

Rest in Peace, Ian, you were a great guy.

/The whole Thaivisa Team

I never knew him or met him, but I loved his unique sense of humour, especially his posts regarding his pussy`s (Cats of course), those things just stuck in my mind. He was a real celebrity here on Thai visa and I’m sure all will miss him plus Thai visa will never be the same without him.

A shocking and most terrible thing to happen and I’m here looking at his photo right now with a tear in my eye.

With the greatest respect, my deepest sympathies to his family, closest friends and all who knew him.

Horrible news..

Met him several times at Tuskers w/ some of the others on here. A wonderful "big guy" who was possessed with a heart of gold.

The world will be a much quieter(sp) place without him.

See ya on the other side Ian, keep the chair warm for me.

• Like 2

Very sad news indeed. I felt lucky to have known him as he had a depth of character that is rare these days. He could carry on a conversation with my wife in Northern dialect as well as a local and he will indeed be missed by many.

• Like 1

Quite a shock opening up Thai Visa this morning and reading about the death of Blinky Bil. Met him a couple of times in Mad Dog and he seemed a very pleasant guy to talk to. So sad for his family and he will be missed by all on this forum. RIP

Used to see Ian somewhat regularly at the Blue Sky Bar in the Bar Beer Center when I moved in Chiang Mai in 1992. I always thought he was a real man's man,larger-than-life with a heart to match his formidable physique. Later hung out with him when he briefly owned the Escape Bar. He then went on to resume work as an aerial photographer and saw him only a few times after about 2000.

Always one of my favorites among all people I met in Chiang Mai. Very sad news.

RIP Ian

Shocking news. My fondest memory of Ian was a few years back at the Chiang Mai speedway go kart track where several of us spent a pleasant afternoon getting mildly toasted whilst karting. Ian, somewhat under the influence, decided to get his ZZR1100 onto the track and went from 0 - 60 on the start/finish straight and off the end into a load of tyres - priceless and we all had a good laugh about that.

R.I.P mate.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 2

Ian and I knew each other even before I joined TV. He was a hash house harrier as I had been in Singapore We did a couple of runs together but spent more time drinking than running. He was an ex police officer who developed too high a sense of integrity and quit. I think he is one of the few people I know who has had more jobs in more varied fields than me. He was generous to those he liked, intolerant of those he didn't and when told he was sexist or politically incorrect took it as a compliment He was also a loving father and now leaves behind a wife and young son in Indonesia.

Ian and I were true mates, we liked each other and accepted our differences in opinions. I will miss him and add him to the growing list of true friends I have lost.

Matt

From what is being written about him, I'm regret never having had the opportunity to get to know "Bill" other than from his posts here. Clearly a man of admirable qualities, he will be much missed. Condolences to all his family and friends. R.I.P. Ian.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear this sad news last night via thaivisa. He is a huge and kindly man so he called me "missIssippi" and I called him "Old boy" I'll remember you on forever.

R.I.P. Ian Russell Mcdougall and condolences to his family in Indonesia, in Australia and in Chiang Mai.

:crying:

• Like 1

Contrary to the sometimes irascible persona he liked to present on this forum, he was warm and friendly on the few occasions we met. His knowledge of aerial photography seemed encyclopaedic and that, combined with his keen sense of humour and larger than life presence, left a lasting impression. I really wish I'd had the opportunity to get to know him better.

RIP

• Like 1

I'm upset to find out, because of the tragic circumstances, that there was a fellow airborne survey operator in Chiang Mai. I didn't know him personally, but some of the more seasoned people I work with do.

I send my condolences to his Family and his Friends.

• Like 1

Shocking news. My fondest memory of Ian was a few years back at the Chiang Mai speedway go kart track where several of us spent a pleasant afternoon getting mildly toasted whilst karting. Ian, somewhat under the influence, decided to get his ZZR1100 onto the track and went from 0 - 60 on the start/finish straight and off the end into a load of tyres - priceless and we all had a good laugh about that.

R.I.P mate.

Cheers,

Pikey.

+1 R.I.P.

Very sad news.

Ian was the quintessential Aussie larrikan. The few times I had a beer and chat with Ian he was always interesting as well as provocative in his views.

A great person that I was proud to call a friend and we had a common interest in aviation. I think I had met him many years ago in Emerald Qld when I had re-fueled many survey aircraft that he was operating in.

R.I.P. Mate

I first met Ian back in my first days here.

I was a CAA Licensed engineer in those days and in our first chat he offered to get me a job with the firm he worked with in Borneo.

I have seen a few cabs go out and never come back, part of the job years ago.

You never get use to it.

They say the Good die young.

john

Deepest Respect.