Railay East

cm das

I recently went to Ao Nang, Railay East, & Ao Tonsai for a few days with my non-gf. We were both amazed at how trashy Railay East was. Was this area hit especially hard by the tsunami or what? If so, why is it still so trashed? There were several burned-out or run-down looking places, trash everywhere & a pervasive smell of petrol. Viewpoint Resort, where we spent one night, was ok but the waterfront was basically disgusting. What's the deal? Anybody know?

By the way, I found Ao Nang WAY over-developed & Ao Tonsai ok, if a bit crowded. Won't be going back though.

Sorry for the slow reply BambinA - I've been on a boat in Ha Long Bay for the last few days. Anyway, how bad it is depends on what you're looking for. I'll give you my pros & cons for each place.

Ao Nang: Pro - pretty nice beach, especially the end by the cliffs, lots of amenities if that's what you want. Con - beachfront lined with tourist shops, travel agencies, restaurants & bars (even McDonalds!, though not right on the beach). I've been to Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Koh Mook, Koh Kradan & Pattaya. Of all those places, Ao Nang reminded me most of Pattaya! Not the same scale but...

Railay West: Pro - great beach. Con - expensive & crowded with the budget travellers who walk over from Railay East.

Raila East: Pro - cheaper than West, can sleep here & spend the day at one of the nicer beaches. Con - see original post.

Ao Tonsai: Pro - nice beach at high tide, affordable bungalows (we paid 150 for a basic place up off the beach a ways), climbing if you want to do it or just watch. Con - unswimmable & unsightly at low tide, busy backpacker scene (maybe a plus for some but not me).

That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

thank you so much for useful information

i booked flight already this morning .. i plan to stay at Ao Nang beach..but the site that t tried to book the hotel just sent email to me ..its full..

impossible :o (but it could be, agency could have limit room for stock)

i read some threads from TH forum .. some people said.. we can do as"walk in" ..what do you think?

in my opinion .. i dont think it will have too much people (coz tsunami aftermath)

i plan to go there 11th Jan (should have less tourist ..coz people'd go there in new year long holidays)

i will go there for 7 days , my plan is

2 days for ao nang(and around)

1 day for railay

1day for foutain /emerald lagoon..etc

1day for islands trip/snorkerling (as Poda ,Kai,etc)

1days for phi phi

do you think i will get rain? :D

which way we can leave from airport ? taxi? i read from some site .. it has a bus from the hotel we booked for take us (600 bth )

now im waiting for the confirmation from" pra nang inn"

do you have any places (hotel) for recommend?

molto grazie ..you are so nice indeed :D:D

Bambina, I think you can find a place in Ao Nang when you show up, but I bet it'll still be crowded. Maybe not as bad a christmas/new years but still high season. And I wouldn't expect too much rain, but then I didn't either & rain is what I got - 6 out of 7 days! Can't help with airport transfers, I came in to Krabi on a minivan. From downtown to Ao Nang was 30 baht on a songthaew. And as for places to stay, all I can recommend is that you DON'T stay at Nong Eed's. The bungalow was ok for 600 baht but the manager (Eed herself?) was the surliest, least helpful host I've had in Thailand.

Good luck & have fun.

@ seonai /khall .. i will pm you tomorrow (now i hve to go out with my parents)

@cm das ,no email replied from the agency of Phranag Inn , well...tomorrow i will contact other agencies (or maybe they closed coz NY2006)

anyway .thanks for the advice.. (seem i have 50% to walk-in) :D

ps ..forget Nong Eed's :o

oucch..im off..will online again 2morrow and if i have any news about my place to stay , i will put here

ciao ciao

Have a great holiday Bambina !!! I love Krabi too, went to Ao Nang last 2 years , I would love to come back again. We stayed at Ao Nang Beach Resort, nice and comfortable. We went by train to Suratthani, then with coach to Krabi, then from Krabi Town with minibus ( Songtaew ) to Aou Nang, but it worths !!!! I like Noparat Beach too, good thai restaurant sea food , reasonable price. Love Railay too, goschhhh, envy you, here we have -5 c, ton of snow this year. Enjoy your day Bambi :o Show us your exciting pixs too :D