Drivers Warned Over Fog On Doi Inthanon

george

Drivers warned over fog on Doi Inthanon

BANGKOK: -- Thick fog on Chiang Mai’s Doi Inthanon National Park has prompted the park chief to warn inexperienced drivers not to drive up Thailand’s tallest mountain.

An accident in the park caused by a car with worn-out brakes and a burnt clutch left 16 tourists with injuries

Three days of drizzling rain had caused thick fog on the mountain, said Anant Sorn-ngai head of the national park. However, more than 10,000 tourists have visited Doi Inthanon each day to experience the cold weather and see the frosty air.

“Sixteen people have been injured and many vehicles have burnt clutches, so for the safety of tourists, we suggest that inexperienced drivers leave their cars at the foot of the hill and use public minibuses instead,” Anant said.

He warned tourists who prefer to drive to stop for a break along the way – to avoid problems with their brakes and clutches.

Rakchai Srinual, the weather forecaster at Chiang Mai’s meteorological centre, said the fog would last until Thursday and after that the weather would be colder. Chiang Mai Airport director Sutara Huangsuwan said the fog enveloping the province had not affected air traffic and all 70 flights a day were proceeding.

However, fog prevented a THAI aircraft from landing at Mae Hong Son airport on Sunday, causing it to be diverted to Chiang Mai instead. All four flights were cancelled on Sunday, but the airport was operating normally yesterday.

Vacharee Tangpaiboonsap, the owner of Nina Guest House in Mae Hong Son’s Pai district, said the fluctuating weather, especially the out-of-season rain, had cut down the number of European tourists from last year. Also, many owners of guesthouses located by the river in Pai have built temporary houses on higher ground in case of further floods.

--The Nation 2005-12-27

I was riding my car to the summit of Doi Inthanon in mid-October, and already at that time there was fog everywhere.... u hardly could view more than 10-15 meters..... certainly the Thais are not used to that kind of weather- (and traffic-) conditions....

Fog is my No1 nightmare driving scenario, look at all the mass pile ups they have in the UK in fog. Given the Thai penchant for overtaking anywhere, anytime, regardless of whether they can see or not, Doi Inthanon is best avoided at the moment.

PS What sort of car do you have AsiaWolfie? I drive mine, and ride my motor cycle :o

This does not surprise me at all.

I was there 6 weeks ago when the weather in CM was hot and it was flipping freezing , so it most be REALLY COLD up there now

The peak of Doi Intanon, where Fantasia Radar is located is just over 9,000 feet above sea level which makes it 8,000 feet higher than Chiang Mai city. Normally the temperature will decrease by 2 degress celsius per 1,000 foot increase in altitude. This will make it approx. 16 degrees cooler than CM city. Doi Intanon often ascends into the clouds and depending on what the surroundin cloud base is determines where you will encounter it. Driving in clouds has the same appearance as driving in fog.

Ao Tea Rea = The land of the long white cloud (New Zealand)

Ah Fer Foks Sek Not Dat Fock Ing Fog Agen = The Land of the Impenetrable Smog (UK)

:o:D:D:D

Where did you say you came from??

UK Fog: Still have nightmares about a drive from Wiltshire up to Cambridge. Normally about 3 hours or so. On this occasion, some 30 years ago, took over 16 because of the fog. Passenger had to sit on the bonnet to indicate left-right-stop etc. because visibility was at most 6 feet or so.

I was there 6 weeks ago when the weather in CM was hot and it was flipping freezing , so it most be REALLY COLD up there now

The peak of Doi Intanon, where Fantasia Radar is located is just over 9,000 feet above sea level which makes it 8,000 feet higher than Chiang Mai city. Normally the temperature will decrease by 2 degress celsius per 1,000 foot increase in altitude. This will make it approx. 16 degrees cooler than CM city. Doi Intanon often ascends into the clouds and depending on what the surroundin cloud base is determines where you will encounter it. Driving in clouds has the same appearance as driving in fog.

According to the Division of National Parks, Doi Inthanon is 2565m above sea level, more like 8415 ft, not to be splitting hairs. :o

The peak of Doi Intanon, where Fantasia Radar is located is just over 9,000 feet above sea level

What exactly is "Fantasia Radar"? My guess is that it's the radar station on the summit that a lot of people like to photograph (only because all the signs near it declare it's illegal to do so.) But do you have any more information about it, such as when it was built and how it got the colorful non-Thai name? Does this installation engage only in military operations, or do they service commercial traffic going into Chiang Mai as well?

What exactly is "Fantasia Radar"? My guess is that it's the radar station on the summit that a lot of people like to photograph (only because all the signs near it declare it's illegal to do so.) But do you have any more information about it, such as when it was built and how it got the colorful non-Thai name? Does this installation engage only in military operations, or do they service commercial traffic going into Chiang Mai as well?

Fantasia (Fan-ta-seea) radar is the name of the facility and manned by the Thai Air Force. It was built by the US Air Force in the sixties and was used as a fighter and bomber control for the multitude of US (and others) military aircraft that were used in the Vietnam conflict in the 60' and 70's.

It is one of numerous US built radar facilities around the kingdom now manned by the Thai Air Force. They have some other cute names such as "Dressy Lady". Fantasia and the others still monitor all air traffic, both civilian and military.