Teachers Over 40 May Delay Computer Tablet Use: Thai Education

webfact

EDUCATION

Teachers over 40 may delay tablet use

Wannapa Khaopa,

Saowanee Nimpanpayungwong

The Nation

30180956-01_big.jpg

Those aged from 40 to 50 seen as being slow to learn, may require extra training

BANGKOK: -- A major concern over the use of tablet computers in the coming school semester is the high average age of first-grade teachers. Some 70 per cent of the 450,000 teachers in primary and secondary schools are between 40 and 50 years old - and that could be a problem, a senior Office of the Basic Education Commission official said.

Because older teachers tend to be slower learners, a 50-minute training period may not be enough for them. Students might also be unimpressed with their teachers' performance on the tablets, which may be inferior to theirs, said Anek Rattapiyaphorn, director of the OBEC's Technology for Learning and Teaching Bureau.

This was seen in training on technology-related subjects previously given to such teachers. They regularly forgot what they learnt. "Hiring assistants for teachers in first grade is too large a fiscal burden - [it's too much] to hire an additional 30,000 positions," Anek said.

There were other factors and facilities needed for the use of tablet computers, which were unequal among state schools, said Ritthichai Onming, director of Srinakharinwirot University's (SWU) Centre for Educational Media and Technology.

"Many schools do not even have electricity for charging batteries, let alone an Internet connection, which is vital for their use."

He said key to the use of tablet computers was still appropriate teaching. The units and technology coming with them were just supporting factors.

Findings of a study on the impact of tablet use on students will be announced on May 11. However, researchers fear that people from different groups with a different bias will slant the findings improperly for their own benefit.

"We are concerned they will use only the findings that agree with their demand to support the demand and push it forward," Asst Prof Chalermchai Boonyaleepun, president of SWU told Nation Group recently. "I don't want ones who oppose tablet use to cite only negative impacts and others who support tablet use to cite only positive impacts. I don't want them to tell half the truth."

He was not sure how much the government would consider or use the findings and SWU's recommendations on tablet use while it implements the promised One Tablet PC per Child policy. But he expected people will monitor how government uses the findings and recommendations.

Some people had questioned whether the university was doing the study to support the government but he insisted the findings were independent and could be trusted. No one from the Pheu Thai-led administration had been involved in the study or forced researchers to issue findings that satisfy the government, he said.

With time short for a study on the impact of tablet use on students, SWU could not clearly identify all impacts. The university wants to continue studying impacts that are unable to be identified clearly, Chalermchai said.

"Students had only used them for a semester while our researchers were studying the tablets' impact on them. The period was too short to see, for instance, impact on eyesight.

"SWU is ready to continue studying the incomplete topics and would like the government to provide financial support for it."

Chalermchai also urged the government to have experts do research before it issues policies that will affect the public. "The government should not only listen to recommendations from academics or experts but it should decide policies based on research."

The tablet study project is called Integrating Technology to Enhance Learning. It studied the impact of tablet use on students' health and behaviour, as well as the behaviour and attitude of teachers, parents and people in nearby communities towards tablet use. It will provide recommendations and guidelines for suitable tablet use in class.

The research was conducted with Prathom 1 and 4 students (Grade 1 and 4 students) at five schools in different regions around the country.

The researchers and teachers from those schools had a meeting this month to share problems they face and discuss ways that they addressed them. SWU gathered their information to create lesson plans and guidelines for teachers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-30

a 50 minute lesson to teach the teachers how to use a tablet is not long enough.

Like the suggestion above, just give them to the kids and get them to watch a video on how to use it, and make sure it is locked so they cannot download cartoons or other stuff onto it.

Really each tablet should be issued when required and returned when the student has finished with it, this would also decrease the actual number of tablets required.

Send the teachers back to school or sack them, the tablet is a glorified mobile phone, everyone has one of those right. If you can't get your head around a user friendly tablet you shouldn't be teaching. Simple.

Yep sacking the teachers should solve the problem - its so simple. I fail to see the relationship between being able to use a computer tablet and being a good teacher or in your eyes is it -a good teacher can use a computer tablet - why?

• Like 1

Send the teachers back to school or sack them, the tablet is a glorified mobile phone, everyone has one of those right. If you can't get your head around a user friendly tablet you shouldn't be teaching. Simple.

Yep sacking the teachers should solve the problem - its so simple. I fail to see the relationship between being able to use a computer tablet and being a good teacher or in your eyes is it -a good teacher can use a computer tablet - why?

I'll take a crack at interpreting the statement to which you're replying...

It's equivalent to saying, "if you're too stupid to learn how to tie your own shoes, you don't belong in a classroom in front of the nation's youth," or, "if you have difficulty putting your food onto a spoon, then into your mouth, chewing and then swallowing, your position should be on the fringes of society, definitely not in any core roles."

Maybe I've read the original statement incorrectly... but if not, then I have to agree with it.

Funny , I am between 45 to 49 , just bought a tablet last year and it took me very short time to understand how it works... the first 15 minutes I already knew most of the things ..lol this is a wrong statement .... unless some teachers are really ......not clever enough.

"Many schools do not even have electricity for charging batteries, let alone an Internet connection, which is vital for their use."

This is news?! This was said repeatedly before and during (and now since) the entire debacle began. But the decision-makers just continued to keep their ears blocked and their minds closed (but their mouths open!). Now they must all be crying as they're seeing none of the kick back money from the purchase of 1M tablets. I wonder what the return is on a textbook?

• Like 1

A few years back (maybe 6 or so) I helped train some Cambodian teachers and NGO folks on how to use Windows laptops, mostly how to use email. Most of them were in their 50s, and it was an incredibly frustrating experience (though I couldn't let that show of course). For people with zero computer experience/exposure, the stuff we take for granted is not that easy to pick, especially if you've been doing things differently for decades. It won't be easy. My mom started using computers in her late 60s, and never quite got it into her head that it was more than an electronic typewriter. She'd write something, print it, then shut down the computer (using the power switch!). Tried to teach her how to save and organise files, but it was just too different a 'concept' for her and she didn't see the need. :-)

Those aged from 40 to 50 seen as being slow to learn, may require extra training

MP's, Ministers, Gouvernment staff included?

Slow to learn? I'm over 50 and their isn't much I can't figure out on a computer. today's younger generation are gamers, not techs or marketers like myself. I find this kind of insulting, although considering the source more stupid than anything else. Maybe the Thai people over 40 are slow learners, would be a good idea to get all those in government over 40 out of it because as far as I can tell, they haven't learned a thing. This sounds more like planting a seed for an upcoming excuse as to why this stupid idea/campaign promise isn't going to work, just add more cartoon time to an already low alpha wave coma induced brain.

Edited by gr8fldanielle
  • Like 1

It will be a bright and wonderful day when OBEC and the rest (Ministry of Education etc) realise that THEY not the teachers are the core problem with the dire state of the education system here in Thailand. It is they that set the curriculum (and that is so loose as to be non existent) the tests and provide the framework for which the teachers have to work.. it is also the MOE that turns a blind eye to job graft were a teacher has to pay the school principle for advancement,, amazing THAILAND.

NOT WITH STANDING THAT 50 minutes is not long enough to train some one on the use of a tablet and all the associated apps.

I have an idea; make it easy to legally work here as long as one has the skills to do the job. If someone has the skills and not the piece of paper from some school showing a degree in whatever, then hire them for the skills, not the degree. Pay that that person whatever one would pay any other Thai employee, collect tax, increase the economy, get more English in the schools, diversity, contact with different types of people and all would benefit. As long as they keep the "us and them" mentality, Thailand remains a plowed field and not a diverse forest. If the Thai over 40 or 50 don't have the skills, import them, just like they do soybeans. A no beaner

I am in the 60's range, have an iPad for a long time, so easy to use.

Have just bought one for my 89 year old mother, will take to UK next month.

I bought it for her to listen to music, read books, magazines and general information.

I can also keep a close watch on her with FaceTime or Skype.

I see no problem with her being able to use it.

Well put.

I teach at an international school in HCMC and we use video projectors in every lesson. All teachers have to have computer skills in order to function in the classroom. We make and use PowerPoint shows, etc. daily. I'd be lost without my computer and internet access.

Boys and Girls ... why are so many negative comments? .... how about constructive criticism and less <rants> ... life is too short

The irony here is that much of the mobile technology evolution from web2 is being driven globally by the over 40s teachers ... I facilitate teacher in-service training in this area and many who attend sessions [face to face and online] are the over 40s ... even over 50s.

Despite the practical delays ... it's still encouraging that the Thai Ministry has acknowledged we are now into the 1:1 age [one device one student] ... they did set themselves a difficult time frame for the implementation ... delaying is possible a sensible decision. They have an almost impossible task simply because of the rate of change in education that has never been experience before ... the old idea of five year development plans just don't work any more ... which actually must be a real nightmare for the financial planners.

I would agree that one 40 minute training session [single event] is not enough to get teachers up-to-speed on how to operate the tablets and learn the operating system ... but it is a start. I suspect it is realised by Ministry staff that it is only a start as it will not address how to use the devices to support teaching and learning in the classroom. For this to happen it needs an ongoing [will never stop] program where teachers are given the ability to communicate and collaborate to share their experiences and newly learnt skills.

I know it is a cliche but ... it is the journey that is important here ... not the destination.

Over the last ten years in Thailand the few staff that I have met at the Ministry of Ed have always impressed me with their skills and caring about the welfare and future of students ...

If you're an educator and interested in resources about the use of mobile in teaching and learning then have a look at http://shambles.net/ICT/#mobile

... and my prediction is that this dilemma it just temporary as I believe schools/students will be in a BYOD position in ten years ... http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/ict/byot/

Have fun ...

Chris

[shamblesguru]

p.s. I left some typos in so the ranters would have something to respond to. ;-)

2nd reply sorry ... I should have read all the posts. People seem to be scared of kids downloading games and cartoons. Rubbish. Let the kids be kids. They will learn more about computers by hacking or figuring out games than their teachers can teach them about technology. We are where we are today in the computer world by kids just being kids. My 3 year old has completely mastered 5 or 6 iPad games on her own, I'm impressed. And if the teachers do not understand the tablet? Hey, a "good" teacher is also a good learner. If a few teachers can't keep up, get ones that can. Don't hold back an entire generation of kids because the adults can't keep up with them.

I didn't realise this ... so every student in Thailand has an internet enabled smart phone ... I'm surprised considering the social-economic aspects of the country ... especially outside of Bangkok

• Like 1