Its Reported Roy Hodgson Approached To Be England Manager

dsfbrit

I am not a great fan of 'arry, but who would choose Roy Hodgson to lead England to glory in the Euros or world cup. A really nice bloke for sure, but hardly a world beater.

Reminds me of when my hero Brian Clough, again the peoples choice, was passed over by the FA for the England managers role - Roy Hodgson is another safe option I suppose??

Roy Hodgson expected to be unveiled as new England manager after FA approach West Bromwich boss about role

• Fans' favourite Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp snubbed

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1tTSVJt6l

Edited by dsfbrit

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roy Hodgson approached by FA over England manager's job

West Bromwich Albion have given the Football Association permission to talk to Roy Hodgson about the vacant England manager's position.

Hodgson has already spoken with FA chairman David Bernstein about replacing Fabio Capello.

The 64-year-old has said he would "be delighted" to manage his country, in an exclusive interview with BBC Sport before the FA's approach.

Hodgson will be interviewed on Monday, BBC Sport understands.

Bernstein said: "Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17888928

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-04-30

I think Harry's court cases did not help his position much and maybe Spurs have had their say as well.

Roy is a good manager, his time at Liverpool is one to forget, but maybe this job might suit him, not so much involvement, and a lot of travel to watch players. I hope he starts to use the younger generation and gets rid of the dead wood.

Hodgesons Managerial Record (As of 28 April )

Team Nat From To Record G W D L Win % Halmstad 22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png January 1976 November 1980 130 52 45 33 40.00 Bristol City 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 3 January 1982 30 April 1982 20 3 5 12 15.00 Örebro 22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png January 1983 November 1984 48 24 15 9 50.00 Malmö FF 22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png January 1985 November 1989 110 68 28 14 61.82 Neuchâtel Xamax 20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png July 1990 June 1992 72 29 27 16 40.28 Switzerland 20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png 26 January 1992 15 November 1995 41 21 10 10 51.22 Internazionale 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png 5 October 1995 25 May 1997 86 38 25 23 44.19 Blackburn Rovers 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 1 June 1997 21 November 1998 62 22 18 22 35.48 Internazionale 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png 5 May 1999 27 June 1999 3 2 1 0 66.67 Grasshoppers 20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png July 1999 June 2000 36 14 12 10 38.89 FC Copenhagen 22px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png July 2000 June 2001 35 18 12 5 51.43 Udinese 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png 21 June 2001 10 December 2001 17 7 5 5 41.18 United Arab Emirates 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates.svg.png 9 April 2002 14 January 2004 17 4 6 7 23.53 Viking 22px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png 11 July 2004 20 December 2005 38 16 10 12 42.11 Finland 22px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png 16 January 2006 30 November 2007 22 6 11 5 27.27 Fulham 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 30 December 2007 1 July 2010 128 50 32 46 39.06 Liverpool 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 1 July 2010 8 January 2011 31 13 9 9 41.94 West Bromwich Albion 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png 11 February 2011 Present 52 20 12 20 38.46 Total 948 408 283 257 43.04

Malmö FF

Inter Milan

Copenhagen

Fulham

Individual

Hardly makes inspiring reading..........sad.png

Edited by LucidLucifer

this is going to be fun. smile.png

How?

oh in every way possible.

a 64-year old whose sole career success was winning the swedish league title twice 25 years ago. good, progressive, planning for the future move from the FA.

To be fair to Hodgson - if the choice is between Harry and Hodgson - there is nothing about either manager's career record that is particular inspiring (I mean Capello won the domestic league title with every club he managed.) There is certainly nothing in Harry's record to make him the strong 'people's' favorite.

Anyway good luck to Roy - he is going to need it.

Good post Rich but Woy hasn't got the job yet has he? Spurs fans still have their fingers crossed Redknapp will get it. wink.png

FA are too stingy to pay the compensation packages that Levy will be demanding

but surely there has to be a better option than Hodgson out there somewhere. Hes a living example of the Peter Principle in full operation

would even rather have Glen Hoddle back than him, and at leats redknapp encourages open, expansive footy. Hodgson will have us playing like Norway. Players will hate it, he fails at Euro 2012 it will make the Graham Taylor era look like sweetness and light

Government should be freed up by FIFA to do a full pest control at Soho Square :-(

Edited by RichBKK

How?

a 64-year old whose sole career success was winning the swedish league title twice 25 years ago. good, progressive, planning for the future move from the FA.

This is not planning for the future Stevie it is a Tournament appointment as there really is not a suitable candidate is there?

I suspect it is the old sour grapes against Woy that smothers your true thoughts regarding his imminent short term appointment.

Who else is there?

How?

This is not planning for the future Stevie it is a Tournament appointment as there really is not a suitable candidate is there?

I suspect it is the old sour grapes against Woy that smothers your true thoughts regarding his imminent short term appointment.

Who else is there?

Was the same at Liverpool. Hodgson was meant to be a short term gig but he was given a secure 3 year deal to ensure he came here. No doubt it will be the same situation here

I hope Hodgson sees sense this time round and realises he doesnt have the total backing of the supporters and stays where he is at a club who are happy just to be in the PL

it is a very unimaginative, regressive step which ought to be strangled at birth

Good post Rich but Woy hasn't got the job yet has he? Spurs fans still have their fingers crossed Redknapp will get it. wink.png

FA are too stingy to pay the compensation packages that Levy will be demanding

but surely there has to be a better option than Hodgson out there somewhere. Hes a living example of the Peter Principle in full operation

would even rather have Glen Hoddle back than him, and at leats redknapp encourages open, expansive footy. Hodgson will have us playing like Norway. Players will hate it, he fails at Euro 2012 it will make the Graham Taylor era look like sweetness and light

Government should be freed up by FIFA to do a full pest control at Soho Square :-(

You are right on the mark

Well I am surprised at my fellow Liverpool supporters feelings.

I always thought most Liverpool supporters had a secret and in some cases not so secret desire to see Hodgson appointed manager of England. You see we found him a tedious and uninspiring manager at best. We were told however before and after he was sacked that he was actually jolly good but we simply didnt give him a chance because his face didnt fit in/we liked Dalglish/he was old/he was more interested in the England job. And as Liverpool fans, we are harangued to this day about what a good manager he really is.

Now Liverpool fans simply believe that he is the very epitomy of mediocrity and all those other fans saying how jolly good he is, were happy to say so, safe in the knowledge, that he wasnt their manager. So we all thought it would be quite funny if he was appointed England manager.

In any case we know how much Spurs need Harry and we think it would be rotten if he was torn away from their club.

I always thought most Liverpool supporters had a secret and in some cases not so secret desire to see Hodgson appointed manager of England. You see we found him a tedious and uninspiring manager at best. We were told however before and after he was sacked that he was actually jolly good but we simply didnt give him a chance because his face didnt fit in/we liked Dalglish/he was old/he was more interested in the England job. And as Liverpool fans, we are harangued to this day about what a good manager he really is.

Now Liverpool fans simply believe that he is the very epitomy of mediocrity and all those other fans saying how jolly good he is, were happy to say so, safe in the knowledge, that he wasnt their manager. So we all thought it would be quite funny if he was appointed England manager.

In any case we know how much Spurs need Harry and we think it would be rotten if he was torn away from their club.

That right Abby, as much as we'd hate to have scrotum face torn away, but at the end of the day he's the man for the England job.

Redknapp and Pearce is the dream ticket.

Now let's see how this turns out smile.png

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Here we go another monkey with a chip on his shoulder.Ohhhhh i forgot you won 3 nowt and everything is rosy again is it?

Exactly why i posted in return to Stevies comment,you lot are a sad bunch of losers indeed.

That right Abby, as much as we'd hate to have scrotum face torn away, but at the end of the day he's the man for the England job.

Redknapp and Pearce is the dream ticket.

Would that be the Golden ticket to Willie Wonka's Chocolate factory then?

Am thinking over our recent strategy of filling our squad and reserves with homegrown players. Dont really want hodgson's paws all over them at any stage

also its a lose lose. he does badly and our English players suffer and we wont be popular for gloating about it. He does well and we will not be able to live it down. Though him doing well is extremely unlikely

just not something I want to see. Unlike some of our fans I do think a semi successful national team will ultimately benefit everyone, including ourselves, and being English I want to see the team doing well anyway. Seeing Hodgson reappear like an extra in Night Of The Living Dead just doubles my present sense of disillusionment

"Am thinking over our recent strategy of filling our squad and reserves with homegrown players. Dont really want hodgson's paws all over them at any stage"

As opposed to filling the squad with foriegners? thumbsup.gifw00t.gif

"Am thinking over our recent strategy of filling our squad and reserves with homegrown players. Dont really want hodgson's paws all over them at any stage"

As opposed to filling the squad with foriegners? thumbsup.gifw00t.gif

These rule changes have been behind our strategy in recent times. We applied it badly but even Rafa said there had to be a drive for more british/english players to come through the ranks

but the national team's boss being Roy hodgson makes me fear for their development if and when they get called up. They wont be taught to play the right way, they will have more mid table mediocrity indoctrinated in to them from the top

bad, bad idea. I fervently hope this doesnt happen. I also want our fans to concentrate more on how we can improve rather than getting in to full on gloat mode over Roy, it just encourages more navel gazing at the end of the day

Now let's see how this turns out smile.png

Here we go another monkey with a chip on his shoulder.Ohhhhh i forgot you won 3 nowt and everything is rosy again is it?

Exactly why i posted in return to Stevies comment,you lot are a sad bunch of losers indeed.

That post didn't make any sense? but yeah was a nice win and a great show from Suarez, thanks :)

Was really looking forward to the summer but my optimism has just plummeted! Maybe this is a good thing as I now have no high hopes now.

All I will say is the whole media thing behind Hodgson will be very interesting indeed.... I actually feel sorry for the guy now because this will be a blood bath!

The <deleted>-kers will and have build him up and then will crucify him when England splutters through the early groups stages lumping the ball forward whilst we watch him rub his face in confusion...and God forbid if they get knocked out before the quarters.

You see it was all so easy for many fans of other clubs to berate LFC supporters for showing their discontent when we saw the type of football he imposed on the players or his "famous draws" as he called them. The man didn't help one bit no matter what you say to warm the fans to him, not one bit! And his interviews will be even more cringeworthy.

How England could appoint him based on what? If the FA had any ambition they would get the most qualified manager out there or try to get (who can speak English)