Its Reported Roy Hodgson Approached To Be England Manager

dsfbrit

this is going to be fun. smile.png

How?

oh in every way possible.

a 64-year old whose sole career success was winning the swedish league title twice 25 years ago. good, progressive, planning for the future move from the FA.

This is not planning for the future Stevie it is a Tournament appointment as there really is not a suitable candidate is there?

I suspect it is the old sour grapes against Woy that smothers your true thoughts regarding his imminent short term appointment.

Who else is there?

The FA are talking about a 4 year contract, hardly a short term appointment. Apparently there is no love lost between Sir Trevor and 'Arry'. I'm sure the establishment at the FA see Hodgson as a safe pair of hands who won't make waves, or heaven forbid, have any radical ideas of his own. The sort of 'Chap' who could use the front entrance at Soho Square. 'Arry' would have been told to sneak round the back and use the tradesmen's entrance. Also i'm sure they see Hodgson as the cheap option, out of contract so no compensation to pay. After all the coffers are a bit depleted after the Capello debacle, and first class flights, hotels, restaurants and the best champagne for them and their large entourage at the Euros doesn't come cheap! It's all about priorities don't you know!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The England job is always short term unless you are relatively successful,read into that what you will....i think Stuart Pearce should be given the job and not Hodgson. Pearce can be given time ...sadly because most people think we have a chance in these tourneys it will not happen with the FA and the press to contend with at every turn.

Hodgson is a better choice than Redknapp IMO,and is perfect for the FA.

Just all this talk of Roy being also heavily involved in the coaching set up at all levels I find very disturbing. his tactics belong in the pre Walter Winterbottom era. Junior teams could be instructed to give up the whole idea of ball retentionwhich is vital really in the modern game, and big strong and limited players will proliferate. Young players want to play for their national teams and would be expected to conform in the way they play for their clubs. Look at the way Hodgson froze out players with ability at Liverpool, because Agger wouldnt hump it long he was frozen out and Johnson was exiled for daring to cross the half way line. he also tried to turn Torres in to a piss poor impersonator of Zamora with no success

as for Euro 2012, on the 20th anniversary of euro 1992 am getting a strong sense of Deja vu about it

hes a mid table coach who espouses very limited, long ball football. Flair is anathema to the man, he could run the game in this country if allowed to do too much damage

The FA are a bunch of idiots who need to be removed from their posts

this, all day long.

england captain, zero major trophies in his career. england manager, zero major trophies in his career. perhaps this will go some way to lowering the ridiculous expectation levels and hype ahead of euro 2012, but given the english press i somehow doubt it.

perhaps this will go some way to lowering the ridiculous expectation levels and hype ahead of euro 2012, but given the english press i somehow doubt it.

Ridiculous expectation levels and hype that exists only in your head Stevie.

Yes we want the team to do well, and yes, we get excited about the prospect that it might... but realistically do we think we have any chance of getting past even the quarters? Nope, and I don't know of anyone who thinks that way, and nor do i see such a viewpoint expressed in the press.

People love to hate England because, well this is one of the reasons, they tell themselves the English think they are the dog's <deleted>. We don't.

• Like 1

perhaps this will go some way to lowering the ridiculous expectation levels and hype ahead of euro 2012, but given the english press i somehow doubt it.

Yes we want the team to do well, and yes, we get excited about the prospect that it might... but realistically do we think we have any chance of getting past even the quarters? Nope, and I don't know of anyone who thinks that way, and nor do i see such a viewpoint expressed in the press.

People love to hate England because, well this is one of the reasons, they tell themselves the English think they are the dog's <deleted>. We don't.

I was invited to watch an England World cup gave a few years ago in a pub in Clapham. The nauseating build up with all the george and the dragon stuff spirit of '66 <deleted> etc...I had to make my excuses and grabbed a cab home to watch the football.

You love to get whipped up into a frenzy i reckon.

Hodgson at 65 will be the oldest English football manager ever appointed (as would Redknapp). The previous oldest appointee was Capello who was 62. No manager over the age of 60 has ever won the World Cup. Hodgson will be 69 by the time his 4 year contract is up.

I was invited to watch an England World cup gave a few years ago in a pub in Clapham. The nauseating build up with all the george and the dragon stuff spirit of '66 <deleted> etc...I had to make my excuses and grabbed a cab home to watch the football.

Nationalistic fervor is like a fart. Hate the smell of others, but produce one yourself and can't resist the temptation to give it a sniff. I suspect Scottish farts smell as bad to me as English ones do to you.

Nationalistic fervor is like a fart. Hate the smell of others, but produce one yourself and can't resist the temptation to give it a sniff. I suspect Scottish farts smell as bad to me as English ones do to you.

The level of bullshit that day was too intense for my liking. Each to their own though as you say...

don't talk <deleted> rix. every tournament for the last 20 years the press have whipped up expectation levels and hype until people are fit to burst. just because you're able to be realistic about england's chances yourself is no need to be completely revisionist about the way the media and the george cross waving pillocks behave every tournament.

• Like 1

don't talk <deleted> rix. every tournament for the last 20 years the press have whipped up expectation levels and hype until people are fit to burst. just because you're able to be realistic about england's chances yourself is no need to be completely revisionist about the way the media and the george cross waving pillocks behave every tournament.

Thanks for that Steve. I'm not talking <deleted>. Pretty much every nation has it's moments of nationalistic fervor, of flag waving, of playing songs, merriment. In England, we happen to partake in all this tacky crap at certain sports events, like World Cups. Not unlike a lot of other countries. Doesn't mean we think we are better than we are, we just love the excitement of it all. Much like buying a lottery ticket. Sure, deep down you know you're not going to win, but it offers you the chance to escape reality and to dream. And that is all it is.

The opinion you express, not just on this thread, but on prior ones, is a common one these days. Being proud to be English is just not cool. It's like being at University and saying you quite like the establishment. Everyone has to hate the place, hate the politicians, hate food, hate the people, hate the newspapers, hate the celebrities, hate the weather. Everyone has to declare it a <deleted> hole. Everywhere else is so much better. So much different...

I've been pretty much everywhere else, like you Stevie. But we seem to have come to very different conclusions. Why that is, i'm not sure. Oh well.. carry on...

Thanks for that Steve. I'm not talking <deleted>. Pretty much every nation has it's moments of nationalistic fervor, of flag waving, of playing songs, merriment. In England, we happen to partake in all this tacky crap at certain sports events, like World Cups. Not unlike a lot of other countries. Doesn't mean we think we are better than we are, we just love the excitement of it all. Much like buying a lottery ticket. Sure, deep down you know you're not going to win, but it offers you the chance to escape reality and to dream. And that is all it is.

The opinion you express, not just on this thread, but on prior ones, is a common one these days. Being proud to be English is just not cool. It's like being at University and saying you quite like the establishment. Everyone has to hate the place, hate the politicians, hate food, hate the people, hate the newspapers, hate the celebrities, hate the weather. Everyone has to declare it a <deleted> hole. Everywhere else is so much better. So much different...

I've been pretty much everywhere else, like you Stevie. But we seem to have come to very different conclusions. Why that is, i'm not sure. Oh well.. carry on...

Still the bookmakers have us 4th favorites for the Euros and 6th favorites for the World Cup ahead of France, Italy, Portugal, Uruguay etc.

Still the bookmakers have us 4th favorites for the Euros and 6th favorites for the World Cup ahead of France, Italy, Portugal, Uruguay etc.

Bookies shorten their odds as more money is placed on a team/horse/dog etc to win. It doesn't mean that the bookies think they'll do it, they're just covering their own asses.

What it does means is that there are lots of mugs out there ready to lose their hard earned cash by placing a bet on England.

Bit shocked at first as I thought Harry was a cert, but thinking about it there are 5-10 million reasons why the FA may not be so keen. Hodgson is a good choice in many ways, having previously been an international manager of a relatively poor team and done quite well with the limited sources at hand, and he's done that again at WBA. The thing is the England manager can't go out and buy players. Can't help thinking Harry would have got us to the semis though. Not so sure Hodgson will. Question mark over his popularity with fans, even before he's lost a match. Ambivalent.

Question mark over his popularity with fans, even before he's lost a match. Ambivalent.

I think he'll be immensely popular with the fans; the Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, German, Argentinian etc fans will all love him after he's led us to ignominy.

• Like 1

Bookies shorten their odds as more money is placed on a team/horse/dog etc to win. It doesn't mean that the bookies think they'll do it, they're just covering their own asses.

What it does means is that there are lots of mugs out there ready to lose their hard earned cash by placing a bet on England.

Yes, sorry, I thought that was that was the point that Stevie was making.

Oh really smokes! It that so! What, and the jocks don't put on skirts for national games and blare out noise polluting bag pipes! I can't even bring myself to mention ginger wigs with tartan hats fied on!

People in glass houses shouln't throw stones thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Oh really smokes! It that so! What, and the jocks don't put on skirts for national games and blare out noise polluting bag pipes! I can't even bring myself to mention ginger wigs with tartan hats fied on!

Carmine, are you trying to tell us this isn't normal everyday attire for our Scottish brethren?

Tartan-army.jpg

• Like 1

Question mark over his popularity with fans, even before he's lost a match. Ambivalent.

I think he'll be immensely popular with the fans; the Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, German, Argentinian etc fans will all love him after he's led us to ignominy.

Phew. I am glad there was no mention of hell.rolleyes.gif

Yes but at least its entertaining and fun. Unlike your surly lot. biggrin.png

Entertaining and fun are not words that spring to my mind when I watch the England football team play.

But we do have entertaining and fun fans, they're called the Barmy Army.

Entertaining and fun are not words that spring to my mind when I watch the England football team play.

That's just not cricket old chap and you well know it! laugh.png

if you mean the irritating bellends with the trumpets then entertaining and fun do not really spring to mind.

Has Trevor Brooking that much influence at the FA to deny Redknapp even an interview?

The resignation of Capello was a disaster for Spurs and the appointment of Woy could be an even bigger disaster.

I can see a scenario in the summer Woy for England manager and scrotum face to replace Dalglish at anfield. biggrin.png