Myanmar Visa For Thai

she will be OK with Just her Thai Id card,

A Thai citizen CAN NOT just jump on a plane to Burma and expect to enter with an ID card. They wouldn't even be allowed to depart from Bangkok airport.

Perhaps they are doing a short hop a cross a border to see the town on the other side (eg Maesot, 3 Pagoda pass) then an ID card is acceptable just for a short stroll across the border. But certainly not for any substantial level of travel.

• 4 months later...

I believe the Myanmar government is granting visa exemptions for one month to Thai passport holders now since June 1 (and by extension, other ASEAN citizens) with citizens of other countries to follow. At present, business travellers of all countries can also receive a 1-month visa exemption provided they carry with them the invitation to show at the airport.

All passengers on international flights must obviously have a passport.

• Like 1

she will be OK with Just her Thai Id card,

A Thai citizen CAN NOT just jump on a plane to Burma and expect to enter with an ID card. They wouldn't even be allowed to depart from Bangkok airport.

Perhaps they are doing a short hop a cross a border to see the town on the other side (eg Maesot, 3 Pagoda pass) then an ID card is acceptable just for a short stroll across the border. But certainly not for any substantial level of travel.

Correct you cannot jump on a plane but we have been many times on a boat with just a Thai ID card. it all depends on where you are entering Burma.

I believe the Myanmar government is granting visa exemptions for one month to Thai passport holders now since June 1 (and by extension, other ASEAN citizens) with citizens of other countries to follow. At present, business travellers of all countries can also receive a 1-month visa exemption provided they carry with them the invitation to show at the airport.

The only sensible answer so far

• 5 months later...

It is now 5 months since this last post.

Please can anyone now confirm with certain knowledge that a Thai national can travel, say from Bangkok to Yangon for no longer than two weeks without first needing to obtain a visa or the need for a visa on arrival? (I.E. they have visa exemption).

I cannot find a Myanmar Immigration site with any information.

Edited by yorkie100

It is better to inquire to embassy. You will get misleading answer in the public forum

Yes, thank you.

I have tried to look on their embassy websites, but there is not much information there, and what is there I find confusing.

We have tried to telephone the embassy in Bangkok, 4 different numbers but always no answer or a recorded message.

Myanmar is I'm afraid a developing country and will take a long time to catch up with even many other SE Asian countries.

Still, I will keep trying.

I'm heading there tomorrow, and I expect to meet with some immigration officials over the weekend.

I'll do my best to ask for clarification on this and post back when I can.

My understanding is Thai nationals must have a visa issued before travel - as per all other foreign nationals - as to the duration of this I assume it is the same 28 days but would like to make sure for you seeing as you have some doubts.

In the meantime I will email a couple of forum members who have Thai spouse in Myanmar - and give them the same question....

Best regards

SVB

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for taking time to look in to this for me, I look forward to your reply.

My (Thai) wife is hoping to go with her Myanmar friend at the end of this month, so we shall still have time to do whatever is necessary before her visit.

Hi Yorkie

Just got back - couldn't get anything definitive on an ASEAN visa exemption for Thai nationals - everyone I asked said they get a 28 day visa like everyone else, and they must get the visa issued before travelling.

I'll keep my ears open in case I hear anything concrete about a Thai national being allowed in without getting a visa first.

Thing is - even if they can get a visa exemption/waiver on arrival through an airport (I mean Yangon or Mandalay) - its the airlines that will be highly unlikely to let them check in for the flight with a visa for Myanmar.

Any other members with first hand info on this please also let us know.

Cheers

SVB

Thank you for taking time to look in to this for me, I look forward to your reply.

My (Thai) wife is hoping to go with her Myanmar friend at the end of this month, so we shall still have time to do whatever is necessary before her visit.

Hi Yorkie

Just got back - couldn't get anything definitive on an ASEAN visa exemption for Thai nationals - everyone I asked said they get a 28 day visa like everyone else, and they must get the visa issued before travelling.

I'll keep my ears open in case I hear anything concrete about a Thai national being allowed in without getting a visa first.

Thing is - even if they can get a visa exemption/waiver on arrival through an airport (I mean Yangon or Mandalay) - its the airlines that will be highly unlikely to let them check in for the flight with a visa for Myanmar.

Any other members with first hand info on this please also let us know.

Cheers

SVB

Your point about the airline not allowing passengers on board without a visa is well taken and true.

Latest is, my wife has now decided not to travel to Myanmar now, (uncertainty about the visa being part of the decision), so I thank you for your efforts in trying to get the information I asked for.

What you have written will not be wasted as hopefully it will be of use to others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is now 5 months since this last post.

Please can anyone now confirm with certain knowledge that a Thai national can travel, say from Bangkok to Yangon for no longer than two weeks without first needing to obtain a visa or the need for a visa on arrival? (I.E. they have visa exemption).

I cannot find a Myanmar Immigration site with any information.

The information I received at the time was that Thai nationals were supposed to be given visa-free access to Myanmar since mid last year, but it appears this hasn't happened yet. So for now, to enter at Yangon or Mandalay either a visa in advance or a pre-arranged visa that is issued on arrival is required. The former is easy and I don't see any reason to not visit Myanmar based on it's visa requirements. It's almost certain a visa will be issued.

I think this thread can be closed - the member who asked the most recent question has received his answer.

When there is something more definitive - or anyone has actual evidence of a Thai being given an ASEAN visa exemption - then a new thread with concrete, actual information can be opened again on this topic.

CLOSED