Phuket Governor Prohibits Concerts For Myanmar Workers

webfact

CONTROVERSIAL CONCERT

Phuket governor prohibits concerts for Myanmar workers

Phuket Governor Tri Akkhadecha said Monday that he has prohibited concerts by entertainers from Myanmar for workers from the neighbouring country working in his island province on Labour Day, Tuesday.

Tri said he was informed by local officials that several organisers had sought permission to hold concerts by Myanmar entertainers for workers from Myanmar in several areas in Phuket, including Muang, Thalang sand Krathu districts.

He said the officials were told that some 10,000 tickets had been sold.

But he informed the officials that the concerts could not be approved.

Moreover, the Phuket Provincial Administration put up announcements at various places, telling workers from Myanmar and Cambodia to return to their shelters before 8pm.

Tri said that if workers from neighbouring countries were allowed to stay out after 8pm on the Labour Day, arguments could occur and the situation might get out of control.

Thungthon police station commander Pol Col Kraithong Chanthong said a group of Mon entertainers sought permission for holding concerts from April 28 to 30 but he had declined to approve it for fear that the concert goers would start fighting.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-30

Moreover, the Phuket Provincial Administration put up announcements at various places, telling workers from Myanmar and Cambodia to return to their shelters before 8 pm.

Or what?

And on what basis is he allowed to impose such a curfew? Does he actually have the legal power to do it? <-- Genuine question,

Moreover, the Phuket Provincial Administration put up announcements at various places, telling workers from Myanmar and Cambodia to return to their shelters before 8 pm.

Or what?

And on what basis is he allowed to impose such a curfew? Does he actually have the legal power to do it? <-- Genuine question,

They can easily have their work permits revoked. And that curfew is already the legal requirement for Burmese 'guest' workers. There are many legal restrictions placed upon these Burmese.

total douche..

Out of all the people who have worked for me or were hired by outside contractors to work on my stuff, the only acceptable jobs were done by burmese. All the thais were lazier and did horrible jobs even if you corrected them. Burmese work wasnt exactly what i wanted but they were not corrected and they did it faster and still better than the thais.

Thais are simply jealous

• Like 1

Totally disgusting.Just carry on exploiting these poor people and heaven forbid letting them have few days off to enjoy themselves.

He says in another local news source that quote"We just can't take the risk"Governor Tri told a meetingat Provisional Hall in Phuket City "A Burmese concert has never been held anywhere in Thailand.If something went wrong, it would seriously damage Phuket's image.

Phuket.s image what a joke.Phuket's image is already damaged by all the reports of tuk tuk ,jet ski scams and rip offs that are never nor ever will be addressed.Pity he can not ban theses so easily.

Funny I have found quite a few articles related to Burmese concerts in Thailand,this being the last one http://www.mizzima.c...ng-concert.html

Maybe if it had been allowed it may have helped Phuket's image.

Oh and this is the sixth year he has not allowed it.

Totally disgusting.Just carry on exploiting these poor people and heaven forbid letting them have few days off to enjoy themselves.

He says in another local news source that quote"We just can't take the risk"Governor Tri told a meetingat Provisional Hall in Phuket City "A Burmese concert has never been held anywhere in Thailand.If something went wrong, it would seriously damage Phuket's image.

Phuket.s image what a joke.Phuket's image is already damaged by all the reports of tuk tuk ,jet ski scams and rip offs that are never nor ever will be addressed.Pity he can not ban theses so easily.

Funny I have found quite a few articles related to Burmese concerts in Thailand,this being the last one http://www.mizzima.c...ng-concert.html

You can blame people for their actions or inactions, but you can't blame him for the actions of his predecessors.

You can blame people for their actions or inactions, but you can't blame him for the actions of his predecessors.

jerk.gif Predecessors? Where does he do that? He’s clearly quoting the current Guv and his inaction for the last 6 years.

jerk.gif Predecessors? Where does he do that? He’s clearly quoting the current Guv and his inaction for the last 6 years.

You must be referring to the current governor's deeds outside of Phuket as well because he has not been here for 6 years. I don't recall any governor staying that long.

You must be referring to the current governor's deeds outside of Phuket as well because he has not been here for 6 years. I don't recall any governor staying that long.

Current Governor used to be a "Deputy Governor" here - was promoted from within the Province, rather than move here.

Can't comment on the 6 year timescale, but he sure has been around Phuket for quite some time in his deputy roles.

Wow! That I didn't know. Thanks for the info. Is that a national thing or just Phuket?

I think (??) it's a nation wide thing.

Also Burmese guest workers not allowed mobile phones, driving licence, own a vehicle. Silly really as these are not strictly enforced, but a good source of tea money for th BIB ...

So let me get this straight. You called the bloke a w*nker for saying something that was perfectly true? jerk.gif

The sooner these poor workers can go home and get work there the better, and get away from this racist place and btw one of the means of the word racist is, The theory that human abiilities etc are determined by race so where are the Thai's in that race i wonder

Wow! That I didn't know. Thanks for the info. Is that a national thing or just Phuket?

Also Burmese guest workers not allowed mobile phones, driving licence, own a vehicle. Silly really as these are not strictly enforced, but a good source of tea money for th BIB ...

Quite correct about rules not strictly enforced, Concerts for the Burmese are sometimes held in a nearby Village to me, but on a much smaller scale of course. I am in Tak Province.

Disgusting fascist and racist.

Just exploit the Burmese worker, without them impossible to keep most of activities and business running.

“Disgusting fascist and racist”...Agree and a few more besides...

As more than 10.000 tickets are being sold in advance, there might be the possibility that the demands for the permissions of the events had been set too high, resulting in a lack of interest by the organizers to do anything at all, and rather take the money for the 10.000 tickets sold and split.

Sooner or later will arrive the day all the Burmese will go back in the new Birmania and all the hotels, restaurants, construction companies, factories, fishing boats, farms, etc etc will shut down and find workers among the few Thais unemployed or not so skilled will be impossible.

Som nam na