Bambina Help For Goats In Isaan Forum

bina

hey bambina

theres a guy in the issaan forum raising goats; he's having a big problem with coccidioisis its seems from the description and differentials (CAE AND JOHNNES RULED OUT)... Only does (female pregnant) and babies which fits, diahreea losing weight, dying...

he needs injectable vitamin b1 for ovine bovine caprine;

and sulphur for same... he cant seem to locate... he's called 'shindam' in the issaan forum i've been helping by remote but he needs info from inside thailand; the korat agrivet service doesnt seem to be able to help (no goat experience, they told him to give it up)... so im doing what i can from israel...can u help out??

i have his private email if u could find some info post ill send it to him...

he's done ivo; selenium vitamin e etc... i know u are pets only but really only need the namebrands etc in thailnd for the vitamin and the sulphur... where to purchase, etc

bina .. im really sorry, i cant help that much ...i used to study in livestock ,large animal ..but i always work with pets

anyhow...for coccidioisis ..we use anticoccidials

metronidazole -fragyl

sulfadiazine

furazolidone

etc

(all have effect with new born) :D

cause of coccidiosis in goat =Eimerria spp.

(found in any spp.),Cryptosporidium parvum

Dx - from mucroscope, see oocyte

'shindam'

:o:D

the vitamin and the sulphur

- i just know B1-6-12

Bcomplex

B100 complex

B ferron

thanx... yes we both know the causes etc,

i just need (he needs) the names in thai (brand or company names) for these particular antibiotics

also the b1 thiamine (in thai)...

thanx..

bina

his name in the forum is 'shindam' ... he's in the issaan forum in the thread 'hello everybody' if u can pm him or somthing...

thanx again

bina

Sulphamethoxydiazine (Bayrena) - bayer

Sulfadozine-Trimethoprim (Triprim) -TP.Drug laboratories

Metronidazole (Metrazole)-modern manu

Chloramphenical (Genercin) -General drugs house co.,Ltd

B1-6-12 (Trivit-:o -TP.Drug laboratories

B12 (hematopan B12) -Rhonr Merieux

This from the Merck

Diagnosis:

Oocysts can be identified in feces by salt or sugar flotation methods. Isospora amphiboluri oocysts Finding appreciable numbers of oocysts of pathogenic species in the feces is diagnostic, but because diarrhea may precede the heavy output of oocysts by 1-2 days and may continue after the oocyst discharge has returned to low levels, it is not always possible to find oocysts in a single fecal sample; multiple examinations may be required. The number of oocysts present in feces is influenced by the genetically determined reproductive potential of the species, the number of infective oocysts ingested, stage of the infection, age and immune status of the animal, prior exposure, consistency of the fecal sample, and method of examination. Therefore, the results of fecal examinations must be related to clinical signs and intestinal lesions (gross and microscopic). Furthermore, the species must be identified as those known to be pathogens in that host. The finding of numerous oocysts of a nonpathogenic species concurrent with diarrhea does not constitute a diagnosis of clinical coccidiosis.

Treatment:

The life cycles of Eimeria and Isospora are considered self-limiting and end spontaneously within a few weeks unless reinfection occurs. Prompt medication may slow or inhibit development of stages resulting from reinfection and, thus, can shorten the length of illness, reduce discharge of oocysts, alleviate hemorrhage and diarrhea, and lessen the likelihood of secondary infections and death. Sick animals should be isolated and treated individually whenever possible to ensure delivery of therapeutic levels of the drug and to prevent exposure of other animals. Sulfonamides may be used. Sulfaquinoxaline has been reported to give excellent clinical results in beef and dairy calves, sheep, dogs, and cats. Because the soluble sulfonamides may be given PO or parenterally, they are more effective than intestinal sulfonamides. Amprolium has been reported to be effective during outbreaks in calves, sheep, and goats. In outbreaks in feedlots or on lush pastures, preventive treatment of healthy exposed animals as a safeguard against additional morbidity should be considered.

Prevention:

Prevention is based on limiting the intake of sporulated oocysts by young animals so that an infection is established to induce immunity but not clinical signs. Good feeding practices and good management, including sanitation, contribute to this goal. Neonates should receive colostrum. Young susceptible animals should be kept in clean and dry quarters. Feeding and watering devices should be clean and protected from fecal contamination. Stresses (eg, weaning, sudden changes in feed, and shipping) should be minimized.

Preventive administration of anticoccidials is recommended when animals under various management regimens can be predictably expected to develop coccidiosis. In virtually all cases, Eimeria spp are implicated. Decoquinate, amprolium, and ionophorous antibiotics are effective in cattle. Continuous low-level feeding of amprolium, decoquinate, lasalocid, or monensin during the first month of feedlot confinement has been reported to have preventive value. Both amprolium and ionophorous antibiotics have been reported to be effective in kids, and sulfas and amprolium have been reported to be effective in pigs.

I can't find any brand name medicens on my usuall sites, but have to say it is a bit of a leap IMO to diagnose the goats as having that from the sympoms described as it could be one on many things. If it's a major problem, he should get a proper diagnosis, mabye the local "bat ra sat" (SP) its where all the gov vets hang out(mabye Bambina can give a better translation :o ) can help.

RC

Edited by RamdomChances