Problems With My Thai Girlfriend

AngelofDeath

I've got another thai girlfriend after the breakup with my previous thai girlfriend. I've known my current thai girlfriend for more than 1 year. Recently we were talking about the future. For example, we discussed how many kids we want to have, what we need in the future, whether we will move to her province to stay after marriage etc. So she listed down the things she expect from me. If I can't fulfill her expectation within 2 years, she will break up with me. Her reason is that she can't wait 6 or 10 years for me to fulfill her expectations. We are both in our mid 20s.

** More information about her is that she's from Issan, she's not a bargirl and she holds a normal decent job(10k baht/month).

Her expectations:

1. I have to build 2 houses in her province, one for her parents and another for ourself. (I looked around in the Issan forum and I figured that it would cost around 3-4 million bahts for 2 houses,)
  2. A decent car to travel (600K baht?)
  3. Buy a condominium in Bangkok (1-2million baht)
  4. She wants to own a shop selling stuff. (I don't know what kind of stuff yet, and I don't know how much it will cost, probably 5 million baht?)

What her expectations mean is that I have to earn between 5 million to 10 million baht within 2 years to fully pay for all these things she wants. I can fulfill her expectation but I will definitely take more 2 years. Positively speaking it would be 5 years and the worst case scenario would be 10 years.

I told her that I will try but she showed me this: sad.png However, she said she love me; I love her too.

Anybody in here can show me guidance or give me advice or tips on how to proceed on with this relationship. I just need more perspectives and more brains is definitely better than 1 brain. And seriously, I'm bored of going in and out of relationship. Repeating this process for 4 times over the years made me very tired. I just want to settle down.

Edited by AngelofDeath

However, she said she love me; I love her too.

It's been said that a better translation of 'I love you Honey' ... is I need you Honey'

Maybe some things are lost in translations between our two Cultures.

Even a well-healed man would balk at those requirements. Two houses, a condo, a car and a business, all in two years.

What does she bring to the table besides the standard equipment?

She has unrealistic expectations. If you want to keep her, you need to make her understand, which ain't going to happen.

• Like 1

I can't see any positive replies at all? She's a very nice lady and she will be a very good wife. She said in her culture, the boyfriend pays for everything. I tried explaining to her that sometimes we can go dutch when we go out for meals. But she said if the boyfriend doesn't pay for the girlfriend, then what's the point of being a boyfriend to a thai lady.

I can't see any positive replies at all? She's a very nice lady and she will be a very good wife. She said in her culture, the boyfriend pays for everything. I tried explaining to her that sometimes we can go dutch when we go out for meals. But she said if the boyfriend doesn't pay for the girlfriend, then what's the point of being a boyfriend to a thai lady.

cheesy.gif
  • Like 2

That's a new one!

Hahahahaha I love it!!

Cultural differences eh? rolleyes.gif

The days of multiculturalism are upon us my friend....this scene could be played out from Beijing to Birmingham.

Ask yourself what kind of man you are....the answer is coming from the inside. wai.gif

Dutch oven ?

Well, TV is a bit of a Lions Den when it comes to threads like this, so expect more negatives than positives as this story has been repeated ad infinitum.

Some people take a more mercenary approach to financial stability. Your girlfriend is being open and honest in that she is making a career choice above and beyond a choice of the heart, at least she's being honest about the fact that you would not fare well in her list of priorities.

If you are young and smart and tick the right boxes (i.e. not a slob) you can meet many ladies in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter who will take a more respectful attitude.

It seems like the overall consensus is that her expectations are over the top. I thought I was the only one who think that way. But, if you were to look it in another way, her expectations are very challenging. I'm sure most guys wouldn't back down to this type of challenges, isn't it?

Yes, I agreed that my girlfriend is being honest. Hopefully I can change her mind. I have 2 years to change her mind.

If I choose to break up with her, I am potentially risking losing a very good and rare thai wife.

As I mentioned, I am tired of going in and out of relationship. I'm sure some of you felt the same way as I do.

It seems like the overall consensus is that her expectations are over the top. I thought I was the only one who think that way. But, if you were to look it in another way, her expectations are very challenging. I'm sure most guys wouldn't back down to this type of challenges, isn't it?

Could I do it tomorrow? Yes. Would I ever do it? No

Yes, I agreed that my girlfriend is being honest. Hopefully I can change her mind.

So that she becomes dishonest?

I think you have the concept of a challenge a little mixed up. And you are right, most guys wouldn't back down as they have said, they'd run !

Yes, I agreed that my girlfriend is being honest. Hopefully I can change her mind. I have 2 years to change her mind.

Are you sure attitudes such as this can change ?

If I choose to break up with her, I am potentially risking losing a very good and rare thai wife.

There appears to be no rarity in her expectations, but I agree she appears very good, very good for her family etc but at your expense.

As I mentioned, I am tired of going in and out of relationship. I'm sure some of you felt the same way as I do.

I'm sure some have too, I'm also sure some who got tired of the same thing and succumbed to lack of patience ended up entering into a disappointing marriage.

She said family is very important to her in her culture. She wants to show gratitude to her parents and probably some other relatives for taking good care of her. I guess by building a house for her parents, it's her way of showing gratitude. She would want to let her parents live comfortably since they are aged. I wouldn't fault her for asking me to build a house for her parents. I would do the same thing if I were in her shoe(but of course not fulfilling 4 or 5 items within 2 years).

If I choose to use these 2 years to change her mind, I'm not forcing her to be dishonest. I want her to understand that this is OUR future, not her future only.

It's midnight here, so I will try to come back and reply tomorrow since you guys have been very helpful and have given me a lot of different perspectives on how to look at this situation.

Thank you very much.

Edited by AngelofDeath