Texas In Thailand

utapaortnab

Howdy y'all,

As Lat and I continue to explore more and more of Thailand, we came accross a place, quite by accident, that we intend to explore "up close and personal" ASAP.

We were on our last public bus trip from Bangkok back to Chiayaphum (normally a 5 hour ride, but very comfortable with wide seating allowing more space than any economy airplane seat for sure), when the bus suddenly stopped in the small village of Pak Chong while the driver ran into the local police station there to pay a speeding ticket. We could clearly see the police station out the right window, but out the left windows, there sat a very interesting place indeed.

It was a very large building of two stories, and the very large sign on the storefront announced that the name of the place was "COUNTRY ROADS", and a much smaller print sign stated Texas style BBQ. We then noted that the place seemed to be a realistic Texas style bar/restaurant with a "country store" at one end. We could see that the place was packed inside and their were even customers at tables outside eating dinner.

Now, I could NOT figure out why this very large building in what I'd consider to be a one horse town in the deep boonies and perhaps a full hour from the nearest city (Korat) would be there, be able to be packed on a Thursday nite around 8-9PM (I forget the exact time we passed), and where the clientele might be from as it is also clearly a full 2 hours drive north of Bangkok.

Well, perhaps this article would explain:

http://gampell.com/globemail.htm

In any case, we plan to get back down there (do you get the feeling that my urgency in getting back might be just a little elevated from Lat's priorities...lol). I'm hoping that somehow we can convince my bro-in-law Kom into driving my other bro-in-law Alan Harbridge and I down there while he is here on a seven week vacation from London and that Lat and his wife Piroon will join us on the trip.

Perhaps some or all of that will happen, but if not, well, all of you who truely know me knows the trip back will bug me to pieces until I actually make it happen...

If any of the addressees have actually been there, please let me know.

Ken/Lat Bower

19/1 Moo2, Ban Sakanam, Gudtom

Ampoemuang, 36000, Chiayaphum

Thailand

Cell: 1-666-090-8686 from the U.S.

06-090-8686 from inside Thailand

[email protected]

[email protected]

//Edit - url removed//

The "villagers" of Pak Chong like to think of it as a provincial town. It's situated 20 km north of Khao Yai ....of the national park fame. The Khao Yai area is heavily populated with Farang, who come to live in one of Thailands more temperate climates. The cool breeze off the mountains being very welcome.

There are hundreds of resorts in the area catering for all tastes. It is very popular with Bangkoks middle classes as a weekend retreat. Does this sound like a travel brochure? sorry. I'll get my coat.

regards

Hi,

Have seen this building last year and went in the cowboy shop. New years eve we spent in Cowboy City resort where there was a 5 day cowboy & Indian festival, just 2 km from the kao Yai entrance.

We loved the place, peace of living and mountain area so much we instantly bought a house nearby for our retirement.

We dont want to get bored so we plan to open some eatery, perhaps combined with cowboy shop, something like you've seen in pak chong..