Thai Parliament Quarrel Escalates In Hitler Salute

george

And moving on from nearly 70 years ago are we now not in the least bit offended by something like this? I know I am not maybe if he was sporting a skin head, boots and nazi clothing I would be offended but something like this no not in the slightest.

If people want to be scared, offended or anything else by the simple raise of an arm then I really pitty how you would live your life. If you are mocking the dead from the world wars thats different.

Maybe you haven't been in Thailand long enough to understand the Thais admire Hitler. Foreigners always seem to make the mistake of giving the Thais the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes what you see is what it really is.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Heil Thaksin" was what he should have said. The vicious dictator is smoothing his way back to Thailand using his clone and making deals with Thai power set.

so and where is YOUR personal problem with that ???

you know that you have the right to take the consequences if you dont like this country or

its politicians here anymore, yes?

It was done as sarcasm... The leader didnt understand......... The man was quoting as sarcasm HE WAS NOT PROMOTING HITLER..

Even though it is a BAD gig to do this he was not in the promotion role.......... He is Blue/ democrat party and was not promoting the man with a funny moustash!!..

He was saying YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT JUST LIKE HITLER... he was not impressed with what was happening......HE supports the Blue!

Please dont flame the guy for doing this..ask your girlfriend!!

You are assuming here and doing so incorrectly.

With all due respect, you could be doing the same thing.

• Like 1

I thought Thai's didn't know who Hitler was.

My personal experience - most thai's dont know history beyond the borders of burma !

Thais may not know much about world politics, but trust me EVERY Thai knows who Hitler was.... do you `?

I always wonder why members here wich obviously not living more as 3 or 4 years in Thailand (if anyway) complaining about Khun Thaksin?

you really should ask yourself where you getting your information and NEWS from or start to learn Thai and talk to the people - Not everybody

here disagrees with all what Thaksin did ....

• Like 1

Hitler salute? Who is claiming this? Even my Thai wife said that he is motioning to speak or wishes to keep speaking, because they shut-off his mic.; trying to incite something here?...

Something wrong with you hearing or eyesight ???? clearly he make a nazi salute while screaming hiel hitler no incite here pretty clear he is a Nazi lol

No, what is clear if you have half a brain is that he is an anti-Nazi. He is criticising what he sees as the dictatorial behaviour -- or Nazi-like behaviour -- of the speaker. It is mockery. Got it now?

I agree. He is obviously very frustrated at not being given an opportunity to object to the underhanded way that the constituion committee is being rigged, and thus, has resorted to accusing the Speaker of being akin to a modern day Hitler. He is not himself suggesting that he is a Nazi, or even a Nazi supporter.

It was clearly a little unwise of him, and not really necessary, but how else are the people going to gain an understanding of the depths that the Government will stoop to in order to bring back their real Feurher?

It was clearly a little unwise of him?

I hope he make a public apology to millions and millions of American and European Jews, and their dead ancestors.

School children make mistakes, I can forgive. Democrats MP lead by Mark, doing this in parliament? OMG.

"Heil Thaksin" was what he should have said. The vicious dictator is smoothing his way back to Thailand using his clone and making deals with Thai power set.

Gracious, 2 hours and 23 posts before we can blame it on Thaksin! Standards on TVF are not what they were!

u

absolutely - may be Thaksin should consider placing a huge advertisement here for a couple of thousands every month ..... ---

It was done as sarcasm... The leader didnt understand......... The man was quoting as sarcasm HE WAS NOT PROMOTING HITLER..

Even though it is a BAD gig to do this he was not in the promotion role.......... He is Blue/ democrat party and was not promoting the man with a funny moustash!!..

He was saying YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT JUST LIKE HITLER... he was not impressed with what was happening......HE supports the Blue!

Why do you suppose he chose that particular response? He could have responded in many different ways.

So much better when done with real class. rolleyes.gif

Of course waving your extended arm to show a wide area, like a whole audience,

and saying something like ' all of you here under one roof.' Is perfectly proper.

But having a pic snapped right at the perigee of your arc,

then could be made to look like a Nazi salute.

Is there one cintilla of evidence that Abhist has EVER given a Nazi salute?

This picture certainly doesn't prove that.

"Much ado about nothing"! Sorry but this is just a 'non-story'.

The guy was trying to make his point during a debate; was being stopped by the Speaker; got frustrated; got his mic cut off; got even more frustrated at not being able to complete was he was trying so say; and, in complete exasperation, punctuated his attempt to speak by resorting to the Hitler jibe in disgust.

OK so an MP, anywhere, should act with more restraint and he shouldn't have made the reference. Personally, I have some sympathy with the guy (although none at all at resorting to a 'Heil Hitler' jibe) - it at least shows, particularly for a Thai, that he had some passion and conviction in the heat of debate. Perhaps Parliament could use a few more like him, albeit with a little more circumspection before making offensive gestures such as this.

So, bring it on guys - pillory me for apparently 'sympathising' or 'condoning' a 'Heil Hitler' salute! Let me make it chrystal clear. though, I DO NEITHER - I am vehemently anti-fascist so don't try and tar me with that brush. Sometimes newspapers, and people, try to look for something to justify inappropriate or misplaced comment.

• Like 2

The guy was trying to make his point during a debate; was being stopped by the Speaker; got frustrated; got his mic cut off; got even more frustrated at not being able to complete was he was trying so say; and, in complete exasperation, punctuated his attempt to speak by resorting to the Hitler jibe in disgust.

OK so an MP, anywhere, should act with more restraint and he shouldn't have made the reference. Personally, I have some sympathy with the guy (although none at all at resorting to a 'Heil Hitler' jibe) - it at least shows, particularly for a Thai, that he had some passion and conviction in the heat of debate. Perhaps Parliament could use a few more like him, albeit with a little more circumspection before making offensive gestures such as this.

So, bring it on guys - pillory me for apparently 'sympathising' or 'condoning' a 'Heil Hitler' salute! Let me make it chrystal clear. though, I DO NEITHER - I am vehemently anti-fascist so don't try and tar me with that brush. Sometimes newspapers, and people, try to look for something to justify inappropriate or misplaced comment.

I personally like it when they throw (real) shit on each other.

• Like 1

I thought Thai's didn't know who Hitler was.

My personal experience - most thai's dont know history beyond the borders of burma !

Then you have very little experience. It sounds like most of the Thai people you know are red shirts? Thais.

will you explain please what you mean when you say - ....It sounds like most of the Thai people you know are red shirts? Thais,,,. .... PLEASE

My English is not so good that I can read your thoughts and I just doesnt want to misunderstand it.....

Many Asian Parliaments are known for their extended fist fights,

and even rumbles between parties, this is mild in comparison.

Why do you suppose he chose that particular response? He could have responded in many different ways.

Many different ways?

Of course, he could have delivered the Roman salute and shouted Hail Caesar, or shouted Ka Pla while crossing his arms over his chest.

Both subjects of course are high on the Thai education agenda and regular lunch time discussions.

He used the one that he knew would be understood by most, and, to be honest if he was being silenced unfairly he had every right to do so, it proves that he knows how this administration is treating it's people (our way or the high way) and has the balls to call them on it.

Most likely it was reference to parallels in the passing of the Enabling Act of 1933 in the German Reichstag and what is going on in the PTP dominated Parliament with the constitutional amendments being read and voted on. The MP is obviously a student of political science and can see what is going on.

TH

Edited by thaihome
  • Like 1

Yes it seems that the speaker would not let the MP complete his argument, and was ignoring his request to speak. In frustration the MP moved to another seat closer to the front so he could be heard - and even though he was speaking loudly and clearly, the speaker ignored it and repeatedly said "I cant hear you".

After this went on for some time, the MP was clearly extremely frustrated and made the salute (which by the way originated in the Roman army) - and called "Heil Hitler" three times, mocking the tactics of the government in preventing him from being heard.

HE is not a Nazi - but he obviously feels that he was being treated unfairly by the speaker.

Edited by Greer

The issue here is an MP screaming repeatedly Heil Hitler. It is unacceptable behaviour.

Full Stop.

The usual gang has rallied to the MP's defence, offering all sorts of childish and tangental excuses. The fact of the matter is that MPs are regularly cut off by House Speakers. It happens in the UK, Canada, Australia, Israel, the USA and in Russia. No matter how upset the MP is, he or she does not start screaming Heil Hitler.

I would have respect for many TVFers that consistently denigrate and insult the elcted government of Thailand if they would do the right thing and admit that the behaviour of this Democrat MP was wrong. It is not the first time he has had a tantrum in the House. What is more disappointing is that the former PM Abhisit has said nothing. No distancing of himself from the behaviour which disgraces the House and all MPs. It is also telling that an alternative source had to bring this event to everyone's attention. TAN and the Nation did not break this story did they?

I note the number of people making excuses here are also the same ones that call the PTP faciasts and make comparisons of Thaksin to Hitler. If one steps back and puts aside political sympathies, surely a rational person can see that this behaviour was just wrong in so many ways. The man should resign from caucus and if he doesn't resign, he should be removed. Mr. Abhisit as this man's political leader, needs to demand an apology on behalf of all MPs and this chap must apologize to the House and to the Speaker.

Everytime something like this occurs, Mr. Abhisit shows that he absolutely no moral compass and is not fit to be an elected leader of Thailand. His timidity in this matter shows that he is weak. Mr. Abhisit could show his leadership to the nation if he took the moral high ground in this matter. He won't and once again an opportunity to show why he is different is squandered.

Hopefully, the Speaker will deal with this despicable guttersnipe appropriately.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I'm a Brit when someone uses Hilter's name like this guy did I do not find it offensive in the least.

This guy wasn't being allowed to have his say.

Hitler is the best know Dictator who ever lived so this guy used his name knowing it would get that point across in no uncertain manner.

He definitely suffers from lack of anger management. He was like a little hobbit waiting to explode

It had absolutely nothing to do with what the Nazi's did or how many millions American settlers killed.

It's impressive that they even know who Hitler was, since the history taught in Thai schools comprises nothing but popular fables about Por Ramkhamhaeng and nationalistic bunkum about mythical battles against the Burmese aggressors etc plus the oft repeated slogan that Thailand, unlike its neighbours, was never colonised by any farang nation. Even the relatively recent 1976 Thammasat university campus massacre perpetrated by the security forces is something of which most Thai youngsters are blissfully unaware. Since they also know nothing of Japan's occupation of Thailand in the Second World War, I would be surprised if they are taught anything about what happened in Europe at that time. But perhaps Mr Somyod is a fan of Hollywood war movies or war comics.

Edited by Arkady

The issue here is an MP screaming repeatedly Heil Hitler. It is unacceptable behaviour.

Full Stop.

The usual gang has rallied to the MP's defence, offering all sorts of childish and tangental excuses. The fact of the matter is that MPs are regularly cut off by House Speakers. It happens in the UK, Canada, Australia, Israel, the USA and in Russia. No matter how upset the MP is, he or she does not start screaming Heil Hitler.

I would have respect for many TVFers that consistently denigrate and insult the elcted government of Thailand if they would do the right thing and admit that the behaviour of this Democrat MP was wrong. It is not the first time he has had a tantrum in the House. What is more disappointing is that the former PM Abhisit has said nothing. No distancing of himself from the behaviour which disgraces the House and all MPs. It is also telling that an alternative source had to bring this event to everyone's attention. TAN and the Nation did not break this story did they?

I note the number of people making excuses here are also the same ones that call the PTP faciasts and make comparisons of Thaksin to Hitler. If one steps back and puts aside political sympathies, surely a rational person can see that this behaviour was just wrong in so many ways. The man should resign from caucus and if he doesn't resign, he should be removed. Mr. Abhisit as this man's political leader, needs to demand an apology on behalf of all MPs and this chap must apologize to the House and to the Speaker.

Everytime something like this occurs, Mr. Abhisit shows that he absolutely no moral compass and is not fit to be an elected leader of Thailand. His timidity in this matter shows that he is weak. Mr. Abhisit could show his leadership to the nation if he took the moral high ground in this matter. He won't and once again an opportunity to show why he is different is squandered.

Hopefully, the Speaker will deal with this despicable guttersnipe appropriately.

" If one steps back and puts aside political sympathies........."

Kind of ironic you arguing this.

It's impressive that they even know who Hitler was, since the history taught in Thai schools comprises nothing but popular fables about Por Ramkhamhaeng and nationalistic bunkum about mythical battles against the Burmese aggressors etc plus the oft repeated slogan that Thailand, unlike its neighbours, was never colonised by any farang nation. Even the relatively recent 1976 Thammasat university campus massacre perpetrated by the security forces is something of which most Thai youngsters are blissfully unaware. Since they also know nothing of Japan's occupation of Thailand in the Second World War, I would be surprised if they are taught anything about what happened in Europe at that time. But perhaps Mr Somyod is a fan of Hollywood war movies or war comics.

FYI, Hitler is Austrian.

Nothing to do with German or Germany.

• Like 1

"mai dai yin khap" laugh.png

Best & worst comment clearly heard in the clip... giggle.gif

What to say..? When a simple "I object" is not enough... I'd like to see some more trashing of the House Speaker who suddenly turned deaf... I'm thinking the MP deserves some credit, however (and obviously) debatable the means, for insisting on being heard...

Edited by aWizz

If one steps back and puts aside political sympathies........."

Kind of ironic you arguing this.

What is your position in this matter?

Do you condemn the behaviour of the Democrat MP or do you support his behaviour?

If you do not speak out against his disrespect for the House and to humanity, then you are providing tacit support.

Are you afraid of saying what he did was wrong?