Sue Paypal In Thailand

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paypal suxx it is clear but it is the easiest payment to setup and I know many people who would NOT buy if paypalsuxx was not offered: they know exactly that they will be refunded in 1 click if they don't get their item or even if they get it... (without tracking number).

As unfortunate as your case is, Paypal was well within their rights. The notion that not doing anything wrong protects you from loss is not reflected in law. You can either choose to not to business with Paypal anymore, or you can just let it pass and continue your business.

I have been using PayPal since 2010 to run my guest house business in the South. So far I've had

transactions of about 5 mil baht as received balance via PayPal. No problems so far, except for a few

customers who got their credit card rejected & refunded on suspicion of fraud.

So far I am very very happy with PayPal and have yet to be one of the unlucky ones who gets their funds

frozen and screwed over.

Tried Thaiepay before moving to PayPal. I felt their systems were bad for the user experience.

Every payment requires my guest to always register an account before making a payment which is tedious.

Furthermore, their user-interface is poor and of low quality. Their currency conversion does not even

work. I sent out my invoice to collect 6000 baht once and it ended up asking for 6000 GBP, to which of

my guest's delight... thinks I'm a fraudster.

I have been using PayPal since 2010 to run my guest house business in the South. So far I've had

transactions of about 5 mil baht as received balance via PayPal. No problems so far, except for a few

customers who got their credit card rejected & refunded on suspicion of fraud.

So far I am very very happy with PayPal and have yet to be one of the unlucky ones who gets their funds

frozen and screwed over.

Until one of your competitors decides to email PayPal with some bogus story about your guest house being involved in prostitution and you get a boilerplate email from Paypal telling you your funds are frozen for 6 months, and you should remove all mention of them from your website.

For what it's worth...I used PP a few times to sell some personal items. I took such a loathing to it years ago that I decided I would not do any business with them -period.

Not surprised.

Good luck with the suit...in Thailand.

PS Wont use ebay either.

If Paypal's actions have been libelous or defamatory then you can sue them in the UK, regardless of the fact that you are in Thailand and the decision was made by Paypal in China.

Google "libel tourism" / "English defamation law".

• 3 months later...

I've used Paypal for years. Had my account put on hold once or twice while I had to provide some paperwork, but haven't actually had any losses ever. Having said that, I do empty out the account whenever the balance is more than a few bucks. Obviously this is easy if you have a US bank account where all transfers are free and without exchange loss, more complicated with a Thai bank account where there is a transaction fee for values under 5,000 baht + a horrible exchange rate.

More serious, did anyone see the notification from Paypal today? They just jacked the fees up even more, again "our own" Americanos are unchanged, sweet rates and rules, but us poor suckers here in Thailand are now at 4,4% + 11 baht fixed fee per transaction. sad.png

post-1539-0-44846100-1376995608_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

just joined paypal last week

all was good as i was transferring each transaction directly out as soon as it came into paypal (as long as each ticket was above the 5000 minimum)

then i was away from the computer for a few hours while 3 transactions came through (total ~30000 baht) and then suddenly paypal says i cant transfer funds out

when i log in its directing me to a resolution center where it is asking for 3 things...

> credit card verification: which i already did a few days ago

> proof of delivery: i only sell services

> invoices/other docs: i submitted ~10 docs like company registration, passports, official letters, trade card membership, etc

just wondering, does anyone have any advice how to get through this process asap?...

should i call them to chase it through? should i submit more documents or would that just slow them down?...

funny they didnt ask for any of this when i opened the account but waited until they had some of my money to play with while i mess around...

(i hate them already but have to respect their audacity...)

^ is this just a step that everyone has to go through (once) or should i take this as a sign of how its going to be?...

i'm wondering if it is worth insuring myself against a repeat of such shenanigans by putting through a big transaction (from my own or a friends card) then next time i can just issue a refund (as it says refunds are still allowed)

does anyone else insure themselves like this? i guess it only works if most or all of the transaction fees are waived in case of refunds because would have to refund the money, and then repeat, before the end of each month to avoid being liable for VAT

but i dont want to have to monitor my paypal account 24-7 forever...!

ps sorry if my questions are a bit stupid / ignorant - i'm a paypal newbie

• 4 weeks later...

^^ update on my situation - account was blocked for just over 2 weeks - despite sending many documents and calling singapore line everyday - sometimes transferred back to thailand team, sometimes not, always similar story (although every time they gave a different excuse / reason for delay)

finally my wife lost her temper and told them to cancel the account and refund all customers - 2 mins later account was unblocked and has been fine for the last few days since then

in general i'm not so sure about paypal - lots of our customers report problems with having payments processed, and a few customers refused to pay by paypal because of the FX spread / fear of fraud / general anti-paypal snob factor

but not many other options open to us - as quite a young company, dont think we meet the requirements for SAGE yet and most of the other systems dont have the kind of credibility we need (as a thai based business customers are always on their guard for potential fraud)

would love to have the POS machines upgraded to take cardholder not present payments over the phone (as we did in London) but seems the only small businesses that can do that here are hotels (which we are not)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After using paypal for many years, im glad to be able to switch to something nice.

For anyone interested to use a decent Payment Gateway in Thailand, there is this new company which has quite a nice API and amazing support: www.omise.co

They are supposed to be the next stripe of Asia.

• 1 month later...

http://bit.ly/1eolRfl

Here is a link showing those culprits recently responded to and quickly settled a $25 Million suit by a Gov't agency. Back in 2010 they froze my accounts because I'd left the USA and had accessed my account from Philippines without prior written notice to them. Their excuse was my accounts had been hacked by someone in Asia. Posted a YouTube about it 4 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8c-EIPz5g

After using paypal for many years, im glad to be able to switch to something nice.

For anyone interested to use a decent Payment Gateway in Thailand, there is this new company which has quite a nice API and amazing support: www.omise.co

They are supposed to be the next stripe of Asia.

So how about an update or TESTIMONIAL of your experiences to date by using this service? I have a Business VISA here in Cambodia, and want something safe for my online crowdfunding platform under construction.

I invite assistance from anyone with skills in copywriting and Wordpress. Here is where it stands today:

http://demo-5.anywebsite.info/?post_type=product

Archived