Where To Shop For Cheap Casual Clothing?

DocHolliday2006

Depends on your size. I'm 6 feet and 185 pounds and find it hard to find T-Shirts that fit me (arms, chest and shoulders are usually too small). Shorts are no problem and in fact picked up a few pairs of shorts at Tesco Lotus. For T-Shirts, the Night Bazaar usually carries larger sizes as it's more geared for tourist rather than smaller Thais, but don't get suckered into paying too much.

Edited by 65Craig

Depends on your size. I'm 6 feet and 185 pounds and find it hard to find T-Shirts that fit me (arms, chest and shoulders are usually too small). Shorts are no problem and in fact picked up a few pairs of shorts at Tesco Lotus. For T-Shirts, the Night Bazaar usually carries larger sizes as it's more geared for tourist rather than smaller Thais, but don't get suckered into paying too much.

Then you should go and have a look at XL EXPORT (or something like that as I'm not 100% sure about the name)

Anyway, I always have a look there when I pass by. Lot's of stuff and occasionally they have something nice, you will have to digg tho.

Enter Khad Suan Kaew from the Starbucks stairs and same level of Sizzler an BKK Bank it's on your left hand side next to the escalator.

Left side of the shop is for Male and ricght side is for Female.

I understand it's some kind of a factory outlet. Factories that produce clothing for the west and these are rejects.

So best to check well before buying. But in general the quality of the fabrics/manufacturing is better than the ones they sell in BIG C or TESCO.

Then you should go and have a look at XL EXPORT (or something like that as I'm not 100% sure about the name)

I understand it's some kind of a factory outlet. Factories that produce clothing for the west and these are rejects.

So best to check well before buying. But in general the quality of the fabrics/manufacturing is better than the ones they sell in BIG C or TESCO.

Be careful there. I bought 4 pairs of shorts that I really liked (450 THB each). I wore one pair for about 3 weeks and they apparently had a defect that was not visible because they tore all the way up the side right up against the seam. I then wore another pair and this pair didn't last 10 days before the same thing happened. I took them all back but no possible way to get a refund or credit. I tried to get them repaired but everyone said no way, the material had a defect and could not be stitched unless it was on the seam itself . I then wore a 3rd pair and sure enough the same thing happened to them within 2 weeks. Obviously the distributor knew there was a problem but put them on the market anyway at a high price. I'll never shop there again.

Be careful there. I bought 4 pairs of shorts that I really liked (450 THB each). I wore one pair for about 3 weeks and they apparently had a defect that was not visible because they tore all the way up the side right up against the seam. I then wore another pair and this pair didn't last 10 days before the same thing happened. I took them all back but no possible way to get a refund or credit. I tried to get them repaired but everyone said no way, the material had a defect and could not be stitched unless it was on the seam itself . I then wore a 3rd pair and sure enough the same thing happened to them within 2 weeks. Obviously the distributor knew there was a problem but put them on the market anyway at a high price. I'll never shop there again.

If you think 450THB for a pair of shorts is too expensive,.... you've lived in Thailand too long LOL thumbsup.gif

Anyway, that's the risk you take when buying in these shops. But I have the same problem as the previous poster and I will NOT find find a pair of long sleeves or pants that will fit in a descent way in any other clothing store (I'm 2 meters) in Chiang Mai. Unless I go to the tailors on Wororot and they did not yet make a single thing I like,.... yet.

I've bought a few things there that weren't that good after all and had once a similar experience as you,.... but then again, It's so cheap it compensates the rest that's going a long time.

I don't know if I'm allowed to name brand names here so I will not. But to give an example; they sell a certain or brand from Europe that is expensive in EU because they use high quality materials (100 - 150 EU for a T-shirt or sweater and 350 EU for a winter/ski jacket) I bought there the same stuff and for the same price but different currency LOL still using it because it is high quality but rejected (I found out later) because the factory had used the wrong color if zipper on the jackets and labelled the wrong sizes in the shirts.

Well I've been shopping there for a few years now and out of every 3 times I walk in there there's only one time I find something descent.

As said before,.... you have to dig and check!!!!

This is always the experience i get with polo tees i bought here.

During the 1st week of wearing i will look almost like a professional golfer. Collars are nice and firm, material seems top notch.

2 weeks or so it will slowly deteriorate making me look like the typical sexpats outfit and within 3 months I will look totally like a trailer park resident.

Edited by barefoot1988
  • Like 1

During the 1st week of wearing i will look almost like a professional golfer. Collars are nice and firm, material seems top notch.

2 weeks or so it will slowly deteriorate making me look like the typical sexpats outfit and within 3 months I will look totally like a trailer park resident.

I usually change by the end of the day, and then give them a wash, dry and ironing.

So I really couldn't tell how I'd look like after a week,.... not to mention after 3 months...

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

The place that used to be in CM Hod (with the sign with a cartoon guy bent over with trousers down, moonying) is now at Airport Plaza (round near the banks on groundfloor(G)) - they go right up to 5XL and T-Shirts mostly at 199b - they also have shorts, sweatshirts and casual shirts. Bought a few XL T-Shirts last week, nice styles too.

Also, to the Op, the electronics shop in BigC Hang Dong (one near Macro and Airport Plaza, not the one right down in HD proper, has socks for just 15b a pair. Seem to be nylon or nyon mix and the few I checked out were 28cm - but too small for me so I passed (and thus can't talk of quality as they are individually plastic wrapped) - black, grey, brown and some patternd ones - box near the solar power display (like they go together????)

//Edit: I accidently wrote "Solar Pooer" - although was more amusing (or perhaps Scottish accented?), though it better correct it.

Edited by wolf5370

I usually change by the end of the day, and then give them a wash, dry and ironing.

So I really couldn't tell how I'd look like after a week,.... not to mention after 3 months...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif +1

I just bought some shirts at 71 Export, and my wife some pants. We are both on the big side and finding the large sizes is a challenge to find. I like the cotton blend knit short sleeve with a front pocket and neck buttons. Their selection varies, sometimes they have little to pick from, but they were loaded with XL-4XL the other day of the kind I like, really soft and light material, perfect for this hot weather. My wife was real pleased with the 4 pairs of pants she bought too. They are mostly, if not all, factory seconds of the big names. They have a fitting room. It is all self-service. Women downstairs, men upstairs. Shirts were 250 baht or so, well worth it to me for the casual comfortable look and feel. I've never ever had any of them fall apart later, and I have a closet full of them.

They are located out Huey Kaew on the left side just before Canal Road

Wash yes, as needed. Dry yes, hang from A/C on balcony, but what is this "ironing" you mention? huh.png

Wash yes, as needed. Dry yes, hang from A/C on balcony, but what is this "ironing" you mention? huh.png

I understand the ironing issue,.... nobody likes to do it but it is essential for the long life of your clothes.

The ironing does not only let you and your clothes look smarter, but the heat of the iron on the fabric makes the fabric somehow get back in "form" after the washing and your clothes will maintain the original model for a longer period of time....

If you don't like to do it yourself, there's numerous ironing-shops around who'll charge around 3-5 THB per piece (even if you do your own washing at home)

You can completely disregard this post if you don't care about your appearance in public, but then again, those people should stop complaining about others' giving you the "trash" treatment. Sorry (well,... not really) to say that first impression is everything everywhere anytime.

It makes them soft.

I understand the ironing issue,.... nobody likes to do it but it is essential for the long life of your clothes.

The ironing does not only let you and your clothes look smarter, but the heat of the iron on the fabric makes the fabric somehow get back in "form" after the washing and your clothes will maintain the original model for a longer period of time....

If you don't like to do it yourself, there's numerous ironing-shops around who'll charge around 3-5 THB per piece (even if you do your own washing at home)

You can completely disregard this post if you don't care about your appearance in public, but then again, those people should stop complaining about others' giving you the "trash" treatment. Sorry (well,... not really) to say that first impression is everything everywhere anytime.

I get my trousers ironed for work i have brought lots of pairs but i just can't find anyone that does not leave burn marks on my trousers and when i look around at my thai work colleges they also have burn marks on there cloths also, I have changed about 10 times with the same result i have told them to iron them inside out but with the same result i have even showed my wife how to iron them with the same result it's very frustrating especially when i am going out next week to buy 4 new pairs like i do every year ready for the new term .

I get my trousers ironed for work i have brought lots of pairs but i just can't find anyone that does not leave burn marks on my trousers and when i look around at my thai work colleges they also have burn marks on there cloths also, I have changed about 10 times with the same result i have told them to iron them inside out but with the same result i have even showed my wife how to iron them with the same result it's very frustrating especially when i am going out next week to buy 4 new pairs like i do every year ready for the new term .

You're right.

Very difficult to find someone who does the ironing thing correctly.

Also, they tend to buy the cheapest iron without water tank who have steam that helps avoiding burn marks,....

It took me more than 6-7 shops before I found one that's good.

Mine is in Faham next to Wat San Sai Ton Tok about 200 meters before the San Pee Sua Tambon border/Gate on your left.

I do deliver all my clothes already turned inside out and tell her to iron them that way and hang them on the hangers inside out as well.

You're right.

Also, they tend to buy the cheapest iron without water tank who have steam that helps avoiding burn marks,....

Mine is in Faham next to Wat San Sai Ton Tok about 200 meters before the San Pee Sua Tambon border/Gate on your left.

I do deliver all my clothes already turned inside out and tell her to iron them that way and hang them on the hangers inside out as well.

Proper little angel you aren.t you?

(tao)reet bit of advice there lad

You're right.

Proper little angel you aren.t you?

(tao)reet bit of advice there lad

I'm sorry, but this "slang" I do not understand.

I'm not sure if it's a compliment or an insult.

As you can probably see in my previous messages, English is not my first language.

Care to explain?