Black Dirt

For quite some time now I've been looking around Chiang Mai for good black soil. I realize that most of Southeast Asia is either sand or clay, so finding black soil is a challenge. I'm interested in only a few +/-20-kg bags, but the only thing that I have managed to buy are bags of mostly ground charcoal (which is very messy to work with), peanut shells, rice chaff, and coconut husks.

Some have suggested making my own compost, but I don't care to take the time or effort; moreover, I don't have any place to locate a compost pile. Has anyone been able to buy real black dirt? I guess I'm spoiled coming from farm country in Minnesota.

Good Luck with finding it. I'm on Clay but I do have a sort of black Topsoil but I suspect its only because I've not burned all the leaves and everything else organic over the years, much to the despair of my neighbours who prefer there Soil Red and Dead. Maybe you can find some Cow manure or something mixed with straw especially as you don't need a great amount and mix it up with the Clay or whatever you have !? Also maybe you can find some leaf mold from a local whilst its wet. they will surely burn it when it dries out

Edited by jubby

I have some very good black soil on the property 100k from Chiang Mail. PM me if you would like to pick up a few bags or perhaps I can arrange transport to CM for. A small quantity.

I am a bit puzzled by this question as in Buriram, hardly the centre of the horticultural universe, I can easily buy sacks of, well, not black, but brown organic stuff. I can't read Thai so the guy asks me what I want it for and gives me what I need.

I will be starting a compost heap soon and expect the rats and snakes to appreciate it, but in Thailand its should pretty rapidly turn into nice black stuff. It just needs air, moisture and warmth, all of which are pretty abundant.

For quite some time now I've been looking around Chiang Mai for good black soil. I realize that most of Southeast Asia is either sand or clay, so finding black soil is a challenge. I'm interested in only a few +/-20-kg bags, but the only thing that I have managed to buy are bags of mostly ground charcoal (which is very messy to work with), peanut shells, rice chaff, and coconut husks.

Some have suggested making my own compost, but I don't care to take the time or effort; moreover, I don't have any place to locate a compost pile. Has anyone been able to buy real black dirt? I guess I'm spoiled coming from farm country in Minnesota.

Hi Mr Brad,

Wormcastings will give you the best ever black soil, we can send to you by post or if you want more than our standard 5 kg bag we can send in 20kg or 40kg bags by transport company, far cheaper than post. If you want any PM me or contact me on our website for Penn Worm Farm (see my profile for URL) Cheers WF.

Hi you could try wormfarmer and he could send you some worm castings by post regards RUSSELL

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Hi Russell - thanks for the plug. smile.png

If you only need a few bags, the plant outlet behind Tesco Lotus (AKA JJ market) has some basic compost in most shops for 40 baht a bag.

It is normally a mix of rice hulls, veggi-compost, and bits of clay/sand.

Works pretty well most of the time, but the quality is not the best or most consistent, I use it when I need some compost for potting but don't have enough in the pile that's ready.

• 3 months later...

filling a black bag with leaves, grass, veg scraps, and old newspaper is hardly time consuming nor does it need much space.

and if its left in the sun and turned maybe 1nce a week, it will easily turn into proper compost, not a sack of dusty 'soil' and a half sack of clay 'inclusions'

its attitudes like, 'i cant be bothered' that have caused companies that sell shit to flourish!!! (think mc'donalds etc)

We buy ours in small bags from the garden centres. A friend used to make it. She had a small bar and used vegetable scraps and would empty unfinished beer into the mix. She used a concrete ring covered with sacking.