Mushroom Farming

What is mansampalang,

Is there a source to buy spores etc ?

Our second house is finished now, so I took some photos to show how simple they really are, before they are wrapped with the black mesh.

I will try to post them this afternoon.

Mansampalang is casava is Thai potato. We get all our spores from our agent. The pickup that goes to Bangkok every night brings them back up from there. They usually have 3 or 4 different types which we usually mix. Just as an aside Ray, are you up in Chiang Mai ? And, do you post on the GT motorcycle forum ?

Thanks, Wonder if I could order spores?

Do you have any phone numbers ?

Looks like a lot of work but seems it would change the profit ratio considerably

Just bought a 1,000 more yesterday 9,000 baht

I'm at that point now for wait and see, not sure if I have enough market or not. So slow and easy now, I have room for 2,000 more set ups.

I'm in Udon.

Yes I post on GTriiders. I love touring Thailand. About half way through an engine rebuild now, parts should come in next week. Sorry for the off topic

Edited by ray23

This how the racks are set up, simple stuff, a little backward angle and easy to stack after that. Note the black mesh we put that in the ceiling area to further bock light as well as the outside

100_6789.jpg

100_6788.jpg

This is how we get fthem form a guy in Nong Khai, he brought four helpers with him and they stacked everything for us. His position is we rotate them about every six months

100_6793.jpg

We were the guys last stop iof the day, Installed

100_6795.jpg

Once they are in we simply sprinkle the dirt twice a day. Originally I installed a sprinkler on the ceiling area, he said not to use it. I have been thinking about oputing ion a mist system to supplement. Things really seem to be weather related. We f get a few cool day in a row things f grow well, He has told us not to mix varieties, why I have no idea?

• Like 1

This how the racks are set up, simple stuff, a little backward angle and easy to stack after that. Note the black mesh we put that in the ceiling area to further bock light as well as the outside

100_6789.jpg

100_6788.jpg

This is how we get fthem form a guy in Nong Khai, he brought four helpers with him and they stacked everything for us. His position is we rotate them about every six months

100_6793.jpg

We were the guys last stop iof the day, Installed

100_6795.jpg

Once they are in we simply sprinkle the dirt twice a day. Originally I installed a sprinkler on the ceiling area, he said not to use it. I have been thinking about oputing ion a mist system to supplement. Things really seem to be weather related. We f get a few cool day in a row things f grow well, He has told us not to mix varieties, why I have no idea?

I have been looking at mushrooms and visited a few operations recently and some of the setups i saw were nothing compared to how clean and tidy yours are. Something i think is quite important .

What are the mushrooms you are growing as i saw nothing but oyster mushrooms being grown - i persume there are other spp grown .

I only know the Thai name which is Nang Faa. It's what the locals want. I'm told they grow year round depending on the wether. I think we will need to replace them somewhere around October or November.

One poster was talking about sitting up with four different kinds of spores. I would really like to hear more about that.

This is our first year and a learning year.

Edited by ray23

Thanks I have no idea how well the other varities would sale here. I've asked my wife to go to the local Farm Bureau adn see what she can learn. I have no idea if that will happen or not. I'm working on ten years here and I know that it is very difficult at times to get a Thai to look at the possibilties of another direction.

Most times my wife is not nearly as curious as I am.wink.pngbiggrin.png

Anyone tried a mist system?

I put a sprinkler in the first house and the guy we buy the mushrooms from said not to use it.

At present we simply sprinkle water on the ground twice a day

I put a sprinkler in the first house and the guy we buy the mushrooms from said not to use it.

Ray, you say you just sprinkle water on the ground ? How does the growing medium in the bags remain moist ? My misses says she has never heard of watering your way, but I suppose if it works, don't change it.

Talking about mist systems, my wife just bought a four stroke gasoline power sprayer. One of the nozzle attachments has 3 nozzles and will cover about 30 inches. They make a fine mist. It cost her about 6,000 baht. I told her to avoid the 2 stroke engines. Naturally the four stroke unit was more expensive.

It looks like that could be the answer for the mushroom farmers.

Ray, you say you just sprinkle water on the ground ? How does the growing medium in the bags remain moist ? My misses says she has never heard of watering your way, but I suppose if it works, don't change it.

The water turns to humidity, is the only thing. I can think of, your supposed to do it three times a day. Since we have drive to the farm. Only do it twice while feeding the fish.

I our first experiment with 50 plants here at the house we used a hnad held water sprayer and it worked just fine. That was what made think of the misters. Really not expensive, don't know if it would make a difference or not though.

Seems like primarily the weather is the key.

Gary I thought you liked your dog, what's this using him for a test subject.biggrin.png

I have a question for the mushy experts.

According to my readings on the subject,the bags (bottles ) are fully moisturised when you procure them,now mushrooms are 90% water so if you harvest 1 kg of mushrooms from a bag you have essentially taken 0.9kg of water from that bag which must be replaced to keep the system ongoing.

again according to my readings ,moisture ,humidity and temperature are most important to a successful cropping.

My question (after all that ) is how do you ensure all bags are properly supplied with water when they are block stacked as shown in Rays pics.

To much water can be as detrimental as to little and in block stacks the top bags must get more water than those lower down.

Would having a gap between each row and a good misting system fitted do a better job.

Electronic probe type moisture guages are available,one of these with the probe inserted into the centre of the bag would cut out the guess work of watering.

Just my thoughts.

Hello All, you could try the mist head on the R. The come in

1, 2, 4 spray heads, this one is from Netafim, but Super Products

also has them, cheaper, but of a lesser quality.

Can be used with LDPE/HDPE or special fitting for PVC.

A pump, filter, timer. You need 2-3 Bar's pressure for good misting.

rice555

post-37242-0-67815400-1337073554_thumb.j

post-37242-0-12807400-1337073653_thumb.j

post-37242-0-10215500-1337073867_thumb.j

• Like 1

Excellent question Dom, answer I don't really know. I know spraying them directly with simple hand spray bottle works. So dies sprinling the ground. We have been told to use pond water and not the city water, we have both.

We have a standard household pump that pumps from the pond. Have electricity available, so a timer is an option. The stacking seems to be the only thing I have ever seen.The idea is to create humidity in the room.

I could easliy try a mister in one room and see if the results are any better. Mister parts a very inexpensive.

Weather is diffenitely a key and not a lot you can do about that.

May try to he spray bottle first and see if I see any difference. The week we had the cool snap (rain Storms) production went from one kilo a day to 7.5 kilos a day. The waethe went back to hot and we were back at one kilo a day.

I got more time then money so I will start on the spray bottle for a few weeks along with wetting the soil and see what happens. Rigth now it looks like rainy season will be the key.

We opened the other 1000 plants today, so in theory conditions are right we have enough for 20 Kilos a day. Kust hope we can sale that much.

How about putting a few bales of straw in there, not spread around, leave in the bundle and keep damp....it would stay damp longer than spread on the ground and should create that humidity for a longer period.

• Like 1

Have you started a new topic by mistake, it appears that you may be replying to another thread?

And 3 topics started with the same post. Maybe you could ask a mod to tidy it up.

Yes and no, the other thread was about/ The mushroom cpversatopn took is into an off topic area, so I started this thread. People who are doing fish farms probably care very little about mushrooms

Hmmm interesting,

you started this thread because you didn't want to hijack a topic about fish farming and now this topic has been hijacked by shrimp farmers rolleyes.gif

You need to get yourself a hobby if this little deviation, by the original poster, worries you. You have too much time on your hands

Have you started a new topic by mistake, it appears that you may be replying to another thread?

And 3 topics started with the same post. Maybe you could ask a mod to tidy it up.

Yes and no, the other thread was about/ The mushroom cpversatopn took is into an off topic area, so I started this thread. People who are doing fish farms probably care very little about mushrooms

Hmmm interesting,

you started this thread because you didn't want to hijack a topic about fish farming and now this topic has been hijacked by shrimp farmers rolleyes.gif

You need to get yourself a hobby if this little deviation, by the original poster, worries you. You have too much time on your hands

Did I say that it worries me?

I was simply amused by the irony.

You need to get yourself a hobby if this little post by me worries you. You have too much time on your hands rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Anyways, as everyone in farming seems to have too much time on their hands in the hot season...

As a BKK apartment dweller I wouldn't mind growing some straw mushrooms in the bathroom (instead of the usual black mould...) Any idea where I can get a starter bag or two (not looking for 1000's obviously)?

Anyways, as everyone in farming seems to have too much time on their hands in the hot season...

As a BKK apartment dweller I wouldn't mind growing some straw mushrooms in the bathroom (instead of the usual black mould...) Any idea where I can get a starter bag or two (not looking for 1000's obviously)?

Due to the process involved with straw mushrooms, you couldn't grow them in your bathroom. However, I don't see why you couldn't experiment with oyster mushrooms. You could put a stack of them against a wall near the shower, and providing you are a thoroughly clean living person who showers at least twice a day, the mushrooms will be kept nice and moist.

Well I bought a 500 baht sprayer and wil give that a try. However looks like we will be seeing some rain, thus cooler weather. That will increase production, so it might be a while before I know if it works and worth a mist system.

The stuff I;m growing we grew in our storage shed last year. Bathroom will work, just remember yuo have to kep it dark as much a possible. Where you would find them in Bangkok, I have no idea,

• Like 1

Bathroom is windowless and dark most of the time, except when occupied (light bulb in the ceiling) so no issues there. If anyone knows where I could get some oyster mushroom starters (as ready to go as possible, definitely not gonna mess with spores at this stage) I'd be obliged.

Well I bought a 500 baht sprayer and wil give that a try. However looks like we will be seeing some rain, thus cooler weather. That will increase production, so it might be a while before I know if it works and worth a mist system.

The stuff I;m growing we grew in our storage shed last year. Bathroom will work, just remember yuo have to kep it dark as much a possible. Where you would find them in Bangkok, I have no idea,

I know our mushroom spores come from the Talat Thai market at Rangsit on the left hand side of the main road just before Bangkok -- that's as if you are heading to Bangkok from Korat direction That's where all our mushrooms go to every night.

• Like 1

How much do the middlemen, the drivers that pick up your stash, sell your mushrooms to the market for ??

We get anywhere between 55 and 70 baht per kilo depending on which way the wind seems to blow. This is what our agent gives us. The mushrooms are then transferred onto the pick-up which does the Bangkok run every night, 365 ( 366 ) days of the year. They sell them to the market traders who in turn either sell them to retailers or endusers. Last time I was down in Pattaya, we saw ropey straw mushrooms on sale in Friendship supermarket at 193 baht per kilo. This will give you some idea where the money is made -- not by us ! When they drop their price to 55 baht, we just sell in the local villages usually at 30 baht per half kilo and sell everything. We've looked at ways of getting a larger portion of the money, but a five hour run to Bangkok and return every night is cost prohibitive even if we get the local growers to sell to us.