-5º Ice Bar In Silom

phuturatica

I noticed on my way to work this morning that there is a -5º Ice Bar with an Absolut Vodka sign outside. Has anyone been here and is it any good? I was thinking of hosting a mini get together with some friends and wanted something different. Also what are the prices like?

Also, are there any other quirky bars like ice bars in Bangkok?

• Like 1

Seems like a rip off to me. Around 500 baht per person for 20 mins. I think you get a few vodkas thrown in. Sounds like crazy pricing to me. So that's around $50/hour per person. Not exactly what you'd call value for money. Take your gf and that's $100 per hour. LOL.

Seems like a rip off to me. Around 500 baht per person for 20 mins. I think you get a few vodkas thrown in. Sounds like crazy pricing to me. So that's around $50/hour per person. Not exactly what you'd call value for money. Take your gf and that's $100 per hour. LOL.

Why would you want to spend an hour in there??? they sell it as 20 minutes for a reason I would think....500baht for a few vodkas isn't too bad for a gimmick type place, you could go cheaper and sit in the fridge at 7/11 whilst having a booze I suppose if price is a worry for you?

The price doesn't worry me at all. I just don't think it's very good value for money. If people are happy to pay 500 baht for a couple of vodkas just as a gimmick, then that's fine with me. Just seems a bit excessive to me. I wasn't saying you should spend an hour in there. I was just giving an hourly rate as it's an easy way to compare the prices to other forms of entertainment.

I've no need to sit in 7/11. I moved to Thailand for the sun and warm weather, so not sure why I'd want pay to be cold.

But if gimmicks are your thing, go for it.

Edited by w11guy

Why would you want to spend an hour in there??? they sell it as 20 minutes for a reason I would think....500baht for a few vodkas isn't too bad for a gimmick type place, you could go cheaper and sit in the fridge at 7/11 whilst having a booze I suppose if price is a worry for you?

The price doesn't worry me at all. I just don't think it's very good value for money. If people are happy to pay 500 baht for a couple of vodkas just as a gimmick, then that's fine with me. Just seems a bit excessive to me. I wasn't saying you should spend an hour in there. I was just giving an hourly rate as it's an easy way to compare the prices to other forms of entertainment.

I've no need to sit in 7/11. I moved to Thailand for the sun and warm weather, so not sure why I'd want pay to be cold.

but you are commenting on an ice bar establishment are you not?

• Like 2

He's an inveterate complainer and likes people to think he's been here for ages whereas in fact he's quite a 'newbie' so has to LOVE everything Thai and tells anyone that has a gripe about LOS to 'go back if you don't like it'.

EDIT to add Ice bars are great fun and cheap at 500 baht for 20 minutes drinking various flavoured ice cold vodka shots! Brilliant and a LOT cheaper than Moskow in Greek Street! That used to be equivalent of 500 baht a SHOT!

Edited by CHANGOVER
  • Like 1

He's an inveterate complainer and likes people to think he's been here for ages whereas in fact he's quite a 'newbie' so has to LOVE everything Thai and tells anyone that has a gripe about LOS to 'go back if you don't like it'.

EDIT to add Ice bars are great fun and cheap at 500 baht for 20 minutes drinking various flavoured ice cold vodka shots! Brilliant and a LOT cheaper than Moskow in Greek Street! That used to be equivalent of 500 baht a SHOT!

Ah, one of those is he? rolleyes.gif I am quite a newbie to Thailand also but I don't claim to know it all and every country has it's pros and cons right? :P

500 baht is cheaper than the Ice Bar I've been to in the UK where you had to pay to get in before you even bought a ridiculously priced vodka shot. :P So I think it's reasonable!

• Like 1

I thought that the absolute ice bar was 500B 20 minutes and unlimited drinks while you are inside? If the unlimited part is correct 500B is a bargain for any cocktail drinkers seeing as how in any upscale bar/club here will easily get 300+ for even the most basic cocktail.

I have a feeling people who complain about 500b have never been to a bar/club anywhere else. 15$ entrance fee with drinks included, not a good bargain? Madness and cheap charlies.

• Like 2

Ah, one of those is he? rolleyes.gif I am quite a newbie to Thailand also but I don't claim to know it all and every country has it's pros and cons right? tongue.png

500 baht is cheaper than the Ice Bar I've been to in the UK where you had to pay to get in before you even bought a ridiculously priced vodka shot. tongue.png So I think it's reasonable!

Even before the Ice bars in London, Moskow club in Greek Street was the first VODKA bar with frozen flavoured Vodkas at about 500 baht (eq) 25 years ago!!! So obviously it was a lot cheaper in the sticks at W11. He should have tried London :-)

EDIT to say I may have exaggerated the price a tad for effect but about £3 per shot - 350 equiv or more

and we'd spend all afternoon there! the good old days! What has hapened to advertising agency lunches now?? Presumably just a canteen break now laugh.png

Edited by CHANGOVER

I don't understand this place. Why can you only stay inside 20 minutes? I can kinda see the appeal for Thais as they've never felt cold before, and it's easier than a trip to dream world and you get booze as well.

You either don't like Vodka or maybe you don't feel the need for a quick reminder of what we left behind in our previous life - a SHORT SHARP SHOCK accompanied by a fine Vodka or ten!

20 mins is enough for me and then back to reality sad.png (why is there no HOT & SWEATY emoticom?

I don't understand this place. Why can you only stay inside 20 minutes? I can kinda see the appeal for Thais as they've never felt cold before, and it's easier than a trip to dream world and you get booze as well.

Twenty minutes is long enough to knock back a few shots, enjoy the surroundings and then let you leave in one piece without being totally inebriated. Think about it, drinking straight shots of vodka one after the other probably isn't going to last all night. :P

Funny to see some of the comments here.... We are not like Titanium on soi 22, which is just a basic walk in freezer... We have spent time and money, making walls of ice, we change our sculptures every quater and provide jackets and gloves.... Customers of the ice bar also receive discounts in the Restaurant and bar, where there are competitively priced cocktails, and great pub food... Add in Live music on Fridays, and it's a great night out.....

Everyone think things are too expensive here, but sometimes if you bother to phone(ask) for details, you do find that some places are more than happy to accomodate and offer discounts to group bookings... we are not all sharks after all

To add. The twenty minute limitation is for health and safety reasons. The bars temp is actually minus 14. To drop that quick a temperature for any longer could cause some people to get sick... After all the locals are hot use to such temperature and it is a thirty serge drop I temperature on a good day. Also drinking at those temperatures is a different animal, especially upon exit. When the heat hits you. You know it. Personally I think twenty minutes is too long. But the owners get their ways in the end.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Thanks for the information on the -5 Bar mightyhariss, however, anymore of a plug/promotion, pls. contact Thai Visa's marketing department, because it is not really fair to paying advertisers.

Regards. smile.png

Yeah.. sorry I know the rules.. just answering the question... Apologies

To add. The twenty minute limitation is for health and safety reasons. The bars temp is actually minus 14. To drop that quick a temperature for any longer could cause some people to get sick... After all the locals are hot use to such temperature and it is a thirty serge drop I temperature on a good day. Also drinking at those temperatures is a different animal, especially upon exit. When the heat hits you. You know it. Personally I think twenty minutes is too long. But the owners get their ways in the end.

Seems you composed this message whilst imbibing your own wares. Good luck with your bar, for mine Titanium is a very good bar in a good location with a good band, but next time I am in the Silom area I will give your place a try.

• 2 months later...

but you are commenting on an ice bar establishment are you not?

Now lets not be argueing over hot and cold, ice bars seem to be a good chill out place ...lol but unfortunately i am sat here in chester uk and can only wish to be in bang tidy again , as for rip offs !!! come over here and buy a few shots of anything, a second mortgage is required. march 2013 cant come soon enough then i will be in ice bar for at least 10 mins lol

My bettre half has always went on and on and on about seeing snow. So as a "test" if you will. I took her for a surprise visit to ice bar, she was wearing shorts and open toed sandles. She took the gloves and coat and tried to have a beer standing in the ice bar. A mouth full of beer and 2 mins later she was off. She then told me she never wants to see snow, ever.

2 Heinekens is cheaper than a flight to korea!

Thanks ice barthumbsup.gif

• Like 2