Visa Run Report: Bali (Denpasar)

First post on here, hope someone finds it useful...

Last week, while in Bali, I applied for a tourist visa for my return. I arranged for a driver to bring me to the consulate in Denpasar - googling gave me the wrong address, but the consulate twitter feed is a reliable source of info (twitter handle: RTCatDPS). Fees and contact info there are up to date.

The consulate is halfway between the US and Australian consulates, so most drivers should be able to get you there, but writing down the address of all destinations in Bali is recommended as some drivers will happily set off without a firm idea of their destination in mind.

On arrival, one hour past open (9:30), doors were still locked. After rooting around the house and gates, an Indonesian man appeared and asked if I met the minimum requirements detailed on the noticeboard by the door. They won't even open the doors unless you meet these requirements, including having an onward flight ticket from Bangkok. Since I expected to leave from Chiang Mai, he summoned the consul... Some minutes later he appeared and informed me that a flight ticket from Chiang Mai was acceptable (but only a flight ticket). I didn't have one, so I needed to buy a flight ticket...

After a search for internet, with one failed find (the power was down at the first shop), I returned confirmation in hand, along with passport photos, passport, application form and $40 (US dollars only!). The application was accepted that morning and I returned two days later in the afternoon, as instructed, to collect my passport with visa inside. Overall, the process is smooth, as long as you follow their requirements strictly, but don't expect more than the mandated service.

I had considered doing the trip on a rented motorbike, but I was glad to have an air conditioned car with driver. Bali traffic is ridiculously bad and the air is hot and dirty away from the beaches. I combined it with a day's sightseeing for $50 all-in, so it worked out reasonable enough.

Thank you for your report. I have added a link to it in the list of "Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region"

...I arranged for a driver to bring me to the consulate in Denpasar - googling gave me the wrong address...

Has Google Maps got the address right?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214923170432669428134.00046d314d9711f49a389&msa=0&ll=-8.673128,115.241328&spn=0.002649,0.004128&iwloc=0004bf97acff92ee3be0a