Where To Live In Thailand On My Budget

westbounder

Hi,

I have lived in Chiang Mai 4 years now.

I am now married to a Thai girl.

I am getting tired of the expensive cost of living here and I want to move elsewhere in Thailand next year. I am a 53 years old, I like going to a good fitness center, enjoy riding bicycle, I do not drink alcohol, I don't need to find nice restaurants with farang food, I like Thai food. I want to buy about 4 or 5 rai of land in a quiet area so I can make my house and not have to listen to barking dogs and chickens all day long. In my budget I can pay 150,000 baht maximum per rai of land. I also do not want to be to far from a good hospital, airport, BIG C or Big Tesco Lotus. I think about 25 minutes max. from a City center.

Any Ideas where to live? Where do you reccomend? I am hoping I can find a nice area with good paved or cement roads and not to much traffic.

A mountainous or rocky area would also be nice but not necessary.

Thank you kindly

Joe

I can't offer advise on where to move to, but can on this.

I want to buy about 4 or 5 rai of land in a quiet area so I can make my house and not have to listen to barking dogs and chickens all day long.

Then rent, don't buy.

Anything can change in an instant here. A friend was thinking of buying but was able to rent the property for a year first.

Within six months there was a pig farm set up along side and behind him. Nothing the owner of the house could do about it. He couldn't open any of the windows at the beginning and then had no choice to move out and forgo the remaining rent he had paid.

The pig farm was paying money to whoever so it had free reign. It could just as easily had been a karaoke shack, disco, anything really.

Rent in Thailand, don't buy. :)

• Like 2

4 or 5 rai of land won't be enough to isolate you from barking dogs, early morning chickens, or any other likely noise from your neighbours. In order to achieve that you would need far more land than your budget would allow anywhere in Thailand that is also close (25 mins travel) to the city facilities you specify.

Where do your wife's family live? Do they own any land?

I just sold a house on 1 rai in a "nice quiet" village outside Korat. No neighbors on any side within 40 m. Soi was 35 m in front of house. I almost went insane a few times with the noise. The village had 3 boom-box pickups which often competed until midnight. The wat had a crematorium and the orbator rented out one of the loudest truckloads of sound system in the province.

Only police I ever saw in the village visited periodically to stay with his mia noi.

Noisy funerals lasted from 3-6 days .. some started at 05:00.

Couldn't even hear the dogs and chickens.

Meat and veggies at the local markets varied from mediocre to mediocre when you could get them. Tesco in Korat was a minimum 2-hour ordeal

Thankfully, we have now moved to an area within 3 km of Srinakarin Hospital in KK. About 2 km from the new Tesco extra. 90 day reports, 3 km.

So far it is much quieter than the village. YMMV, but "life in the village" is not always paradise for everyone. Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

Thankfully, we have now moved to an area within 3 km of Srinakarin Hospital in KK. About 2 km from the new Tesco extra. 90 day reports, 3 km.

Shit mate sounds like you've moved into my spare bedroom. I wondered what that rustling noise was....

• Like 1

The OP cites two issues, cost of living and noise, I'm not sure that moving away from CM will solve his first problem since CM is not an expensive place to live, by comparison to most. But let's say he does find somewhere less expensive, what's going to happen in five years time when the cost of living in his chosen area reaches the levels of CM currently, nowhere to go springs to mind. Probably better to reevaluate current spending habits and optimise investment income now rather than move.

• Like 1

Tambon Muak Lek in Saraburi is nice IMO. 20 KM drive to Tesco in Pak Chong. Nice waterfalls and not too far from Khao Yai national park. Nearest decent hospital would be around 42 KM to city center - a bit far I think.

Edited by prighas

Live where your wife tells you, or she won't be your wife long. jim

Utter nonsense.

If you're paying, she'll be there, regardless of initial 12 yr old child-esque tantrums.

Guess you don't understand the difference from lao/ Khmer and other areas. Thais like to live where they know the languge and culture, Outsideres are not easily excepted. Fararngs are allowed. but are an oddity. Jim
  • Like 1

Guess you don't understand the difference from lao/ Khmer and other areas. Thais like to live where they know the languge and culture, Outsideres are not easily excepted. Fararngs are allowed. but are an oddity. Jim

So true

Try Ubon Ratchathani, it has everything that opens and shuts. Big C, Tescos, huge hardware stores and there are more shopping centres being built.

Air Asia flies Chiang Mai/Ubon, come check it out.

Many nice quiet areas around. Ubon is large so there are many places to check.

Tambon Muak Lek in Saraburi is nice IMO. 20 KM drive to Tesco in Pak Chong. Nice waterfalls and not too far from Khao Yai national park. Nearest decent hospital would be around 42 KM to city center - a bit far I think.

Muek Lek....yes beautiful area and reasonable distance to ammenities....do you actually live there.

Muak Lek is nice, but so were the prices when we were looking for land there.

Amusing. All this faux macho posturing.

And then they find out that the real Thai society is matriarchal based.

Aside from the illusional surface of a patriarchal perception...

• Like 2

I think I can help you. Check out Ranong. Cheapest in Thailand for most things. I have 5 Rai of land for sale (under your budget)....no chickens or dogs, river boundary on one side, views of mountains .12 kl to airport 10 kl to Tesco Lotus 13 kl to hospital...contact me for further info.

I can't offer advise on where to move to, but can on this.

I want to buy about 4 or 5 rai of land in a quiet area so I can make my house and not have to listen to barking dogs and chickens all day long.

Then rent, don't buy.

Anything can change in an instant here. A friend was thinking of buying but was able to rent the property for a year first.

Within six months there was a pig farm set up along side and behind him. Nothing the owner of the house could do about it. He couldn't open any of the windows at the beginning and then had no choice to move out and forgo the remaining rent he had paid.

The pig farm was paying money to whoever so it had free reign. It could just as easily had been a karaoke shack, disco, anything really.

Rent in Thailand, don't buy. smile.png

Excelent advice. Invest your money at home and use the income in a

foreign country.

• Like 1

4 or 5 rai of land won't be enough to isolate you from barking dogs, early morning chickens, or any other likely noise from your neighbours. In order to achieve that you would need far more land than your budget would allow anywhere in Thailand that is also close (25 mins travel) to the city facilities you specify.

i tend to dissagree.have 7 rai 14 km( 8 miles ) from sakon nakhon city centre.

peace and quiet, no lunatics,all working farmers. my friend also bought(not from his wife family) 8 rai at 35,000 per rai.

all it takes is a bit of homework and i agree also a little bit of luck.

best regards.

peace and quiet, no lunatics,all working farmers. my friend also bought(not from his wife family) 8 rai at 35,000 per rai.

best regards.

does this land have electricity available ?

best regards.

there was none on my land to my home.

electric board came, put up 3 concrete big posts, and cable 70 meter from road to my house.connected everything.

all done in 3 days after request.total price all in 12,000 baht. not bad if you ask me.

u can have a look on this members other post about renting motorbikes in sakon.

i put sm pics of my home on there.

Edited by ericnoodeeka

best regards.

there was none on my land to my home.

electric board came, put up 3 concrete big posts, and cable 70 meter from road to my house.connected everything.

all done in 3 days after request.total price all in 12,000 baht. not bad if you ask me.

have a look on pics in other post about renting motorbikes in sakon from this member.

u can see my house in there.